• Published 13th Jun 2018
  • 504 Views, 6 Comments

Buttercup Rose: the Breaking - PoneStudios



a mare living Ponyville named Buttercup Rose has a horrible secret; something she has never told anypony, not even her own sister; that secret is named Scarlet Knife.

  • ...
 6
 504

Chapter 5: The Unusual

Buttercup turned over in half-sleep. She groaned and tried to block the intruding morning sunlight out of her eyes. She failed. She groaned and rubbed her eyes as she sat up. She slowly, groggily stumbled her way over to the window and closed the curtains.

“Ugh…” Buttercup had had an awful night last night. She’d dreamed of watching Sunset be killed by herself. The dream still haunted her even now, in the veil of half-sleep. Buttercup stumbled over to her mirror and nearly fell asleep again.

“Good morning, partner!” Buttercup felt a chill go down her spine when she heard Scarlet’s voice. The chill forced her awake in a second and wouldn’t let her go back to sleep.

“Ugh… go away, Scarlet.” Buttercup groaned.

“Why? Don’t you like our little talks?” Scarlet grinned. “I mean, there’s SO many things I can talk about with you! My schemes, all the killings I do… I mean, there’s so much variety!” Scarlet grinned once more and looked tauntingly at Buttercup.

“Haha… you think I won’t tell the police?” Buttercup smiled a psychotic smile.

“Oh, Darling, don’t even pretend to be brave enough to do that. After all, you know what I can do to those who tattle on me~!” Scarlet grinned.

“And what would that be?” Buttercup cocked her head to the side.

“Ehehe, Buttercup, Buttercup, Buttercup… when will you learn not to ask questions? But I suppose I must tell you now that you’ve asked. Why, I could kill Sunset! I could make you watch her die! Every cut, every scream, you’d experience her death, and it would slow and painful and SO delicious to watch! You don’t want that, now do you?” Scarlet grinned and cocked her head to the side. Buttercup bit her lip.

“F… fine. Be that way. I won’t tell. Just… please don’t do that to Sunset.” Buttercup looked down.

“Good.” Scarlet was about to say something else when Sunset came into the room. Scarlet disappeared.

“Good morning, Buttercup! You are you today?” Sunset smiled. Buttercup smiled back.

“I’m doing well today, thank you. How are you?” Buttercup stood up.

“I’m doing great! I made breakfast for us! It’s pancakes, hay bacon, and eggs with syrup and fresh milk.” Sunset grinned.

“That sounds great! Let’s go!” Buttercup grinned and followed Sunset into the kitchen. They both had ample helpings of breakfast. When they were done, Buttercup stood up, put her plate in the sink, and went into the living room and sat down. She sighed.

So, how’s our sis, Partner?

Nmmph.

Not talking, huh? I can understand. After all, I did threaten Sunset’s life. But that’s just part and parcel of being me!

Go away.

Aww, why?

Just… Buttercup sighed inside herself.

As a parting note, I got Peony Stem’s sister last night.

WHAT!? Buttercup was startled off the couch and face first onto the floor. Sunset rushed in when she heard.

“Buttercup! Are you okay?” Sunset helped Buttercup stand up.

“Ugh… yeah. I'm fine, Sunset.” Buttercup sat down on the couch. Sunset turned to face her.

“Are you sure? I could call the hospital for you and tell them that you need a day off…” Sunset said.

“No, I've already missed several days. It would be better if I went anyway.” Buttercup stood up. She sighed and rubbed her temples with a hoof.

“Alright, if you say so… But if you need anything, you can call me.” Sunset smiled. Buttercup smiled back.

“Thanks. I should be getting to work now. Bye, Sunset.” Buttercup waved goodbye and left for work. All throughout her walk there, Scarlet's last remark echoed through her mind. She knew it was pointless to wonder why Scarlet would such a thing, but still, she wondered all the same. She just couldn't help wondering what went on in Scarlet's half of their mind. Scarlet guarded her thoughts heavily, and so they weren't visible to her.

Buttercup trotted through the hospital doors and into the nurse's station. Once there, she let her thoughts drift around in an endless loop of questions with no answers. Why did she have to deal with this? What did Scarlet want? Who would be next? All of these and more were bouncing around in her head, sending Buttercup into downward spiral of confusion and fear and despair.

“Buttercup? Are you okay?” Nurse Redheart’s voice shook Buttercup out of the disk and into the real world.

“Wh-- yes, I'm fine. Just… thinking.” Buttercup smiled and watched nurse Redheart nod and walk away. She sighed.

“It's getting worse…”


After work, Buttercup, instead of trotting home, walked to her favorite door in Whitetail Woods. It was a little clearing hidden by an abundance of Birch trees and covered by thick, soft grass. Once there, Buttercup sat down and sighed.

“Oh… what do I do to get rid of her?” Buttercup moaned and covered her head in her hooves.

Thinking about me, Partner?

Would you go away!?

Hahaha, no. I'm just too interested in what you're thinking about to leave you alone.

Scarlet, go away! I'm not in the mood for you right now!

Darling, if I just left you alone, I wouldn't have any fun! That wouldn't be good, trust me.

Buttercup didn't respond. She just sighed and folded her ears back.


Almost an hour later, Buttercup was still sitting in the little clearing that she liked so much. She smiled as she looked up at the orange sunset sky.

“Ah…” Buttercup smiled a content smile and sighed. She looked up when she heard the sounds of leaves crunching and hooves clopping. Sunset came out of the trees.

“There you are! I've been looking all over for you! Why did you want to come all the way out here anyway?” Sunset sat down.

“i like this clearing.” Buttercup laid down.

“Ah. So, you ready to come back home now?” Sunset asked.

“Yeah. I just needed to calm down, so I came here to do so.” Buttercup stood up and helped Sunset stand up.

“Let's go, Buttercup. I made Pasta Alfredo for dinner tonight.” the sisters left the clearing to go home for the night. As they were leaving, Buttercup still couldn’t help wondering what to do to get rid of Scarlet.

Author's Note:

YEE! I'm almost early today! I'm productive! :pinkiehappy:
*pats self on the back*
hope you enjoyed reading!