• Published 16th May 2018
  • 2,536 Views, 649 Comments

Sunburst to the Rescue - David Silver



Twilight's met her match, a tome so dense and arcane that even her considerable intellect couldn't penetrate it. Just before she gave up in a tizzy, Starlight suggested a pony that could help; a good friend, Sunburst.

  • ...
17
 649
 2,536

PreviousChapters
64 - Afterwards

"The first step is... not thinking about it so much," counseled Snails with a soft bobbing of his head. "You know you can do it now, so just, you know... do it."

"Just do it..." Snips reached out a hoof towards a little rubber ball, willing it to rise. His horn glowed more brightly than it used to, not sputtering and dying as it used to do. "Just... do... it..."

"Stop trying so hard," his friend gently suggested. "It'll come, just let it." He reached up and bonked himself on the head. "Stop thinking about it."

"You don't think about much," noted Snips with a smirk.

"Yeah, and look at me."

Snails went still a moment, considering how skilled Snails was with his magic. "Huh... point... Alright, stop thinking about it."

He tried to not stress, to just... pick it up as if his horn's magic were as simple as the end of his hoof. He was just plucking it up, no big deal, no... big...

The ball suddenly lifted into the air and he burst into excited giggles, though that caused it to drop. "I did it!"

"You did it," placidly agreed Snails with a smile. "Do it again."

They would practice the day away, but Snips would learn what had been denied him. He was a functional unicorn.


Life did not dramatically change for Fancy Pants. He returned to his social circles and didn't do much different than he had before, save to visit a new friend that also lived in Canterlot. He knocked gently on a door.

"Who is it?" came a female voice before the door opened, no glow on the handle. "Oh, Fancy. A pleasure to see you," assured Saddle with an uneasy smile.

"A good day indeed, and one I hope to make better." He nodded firmly, looking over her, noting how she angled her head to keep her horn from view as best she could. "This is no way to leave things."

"I'm doing the best I can," she sighed out, blushing in her cheeks.

"Then allow me to do the best I can. You haven't tapped your resources, and there's a special pony with me that came running when they heard."

"Darling!" suddenly burst Rarity, stepping into view. "Why didn't you tell me?! This simply will not do! I'm coming in." She pressed right in, nudging Sassy back without room for denials. "How bad can this... oh." She could see Sassy's injury far more clearly. "Ghastly, but I know just the pony that can fix this, even if she's technically not a pony. Still, I feel confident, and even if she can't, there are better ways ahead than hiding in here."

"But I'm hideous," lamented Sassy, shrinking away from Rarity. "And my magic scarcely works. I'm useless and ugly at once..."

Fancy gestured towards Rarity. "If she feels she has the answer, I'm inclined to believe her. She is your friend, and employer. Do you not have faith in her?"

"Of course I do..." Sassy looked to Rarity's concerned face a moment before letting out a sigh. "This can't get much worse than it is... I surrender."

"Very good, onwards, to the train!" She suddenly pulled out a hat and popped it on Sassy's head, covering her horn completely. "We have beauty to save!"

Fancy would visit her more often in the future, but for that day, he returned to his own duties, not weaving more powerful magic; simply happier with himself for being able to clearly do what he wished and knowing he was operating at his best.

Rarity and Sassy took one train ride to Ponyville. From there, they hiked into the forest, much to Sassy's confusion. "Whatever are we to find hidden in the brambles?"

"Only the most wonderful herbalist I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with." Rarity nodded softly as she walked. "When doctors fail, her Zebrican cures can really save the day. It's her own brand of magic, just as sure as any unicorn's."

"More sure than mine, I would hope," she sighed, but she followed along through the Everfree.

Thankfully, the Tree of Harmony was still there, chasing away the foulness of the forest, and they arrived with little issue at Zecora's curious house. The zebra herself was out in front, stirring a large pot slowly. She noticed their approach and looked up. "Rarity, 'tis always a treat. Who have you brung for me to meet?"

"Zecora, this is Sassy Saddles, a dear friend and employee who has met an unfortunate circumstance." With a glowing horn, she popped the concealing hat away.

Zecora winced, the gaping hole visible for her to see. "How terrible that does appear. Is that what you wish for me to clear? Sit right there and be at ease, My treatment will not be a tease." She hurried off into her hut and came back with several herbs in her mouth that she casually threw into the pot she already had going. "Rarity, if you do not mind, a few herbs I would like you to find."

She placed a book with some pictures of various herbs and maps on where to find them where Rarity could see.

"I'm on the case!" Rarity floated the book up and trotted away in hot pursuit of the in-demand plants.

As soon as Rarity was out of sight, Zecora pointed to the ground quietly. Sassy glanced at where Rarity once was before she slowly sank as directed. "Can you really do something?"

Zecora reached up a hoof, gently feeling around the affected area. "A unicorn's horn is a thing most dear. To see it damaged their ultimate fear. Magic makes the way perilous. Thank you for trusting me as your therapist." She turned back to her pot and resumed stirring, working on her cure.

With the help of her friends, new and old, a strange creme would chase away the hole. Her horn was restored, little better then when she began, but the unsightly blemish was banished. In the end, she was satisfied with little promises that she would not endanger herself so easily in the future.


"Hey." Spike waved softly from the doorway. "The latest edition of Storm Mare released today. Wanna go with me to pick it up?"

Moondancer perked an ear. "Is that the one about the weather controlling unicorn that has an imprecise control of her abilities?"

"That's the one!" Spike clapped his hands together. "It's a real page turner."

"I agree." She stood up. "I would be delighted to accompany you."

They went off together, not as special someponies, but as friends, and both were pleased with the arrangement.


Rarity, having helped Sassy get back on her hooves, was back at her own shop in Ponyville, working with a ponyquinn. She had a dress wrapped around it and was carefully fussing over it with soft noises, musing on how it appeared and how it could appear.

She raised a hoof with a pin cushion attached at the wrist. "Maybe bring this up..." She poked a pin to hold the cloth in place to see how it would appear. "No no..."

"Hey."

She jumped in surprise, turning to see Spike. "Spike! I wasn't expecting you, Dear."

"I can go..."

"No! I mean, you don't have to." She gestured at her work. "Just a little something for the coming fall season. Perhaps you could help."

"I'm not wearing it," he ruled out flatly.

"It's for a mare, not a dragon." She tapped her chin. "Do you think a dragon could be talked into enjoying a dress?"

"None that I know of." He smirked a little, looking over the dress with his untrained eyes. "Looks nice enough though. I can feel that 'autumn' vibe going on there."

"Precisely what I was going for." She willed a pin off her cushion and tried another alteration theory, muttering a moment. "I'm just not... happy with this last little bit..."

"I didn't mean to get in the--"

She suddenly grabbed him in her magic and slid him over to her side. "You are not bothering me. Spike, dear, thank you for coming. I thought... perhaps you'd never do so again. We may not be... ever that, but the loss of you as a friend has been nothing but crushing."

Spike smiled awkwardly. "I mean... I... thought about it, and... well, you and Twilight are friends, and you're friends with everypony else I hang out with on the regular besides Moondancer, so, eh, I can be a big dragon about this." He stepped back and waved at the dress. "Have you tried hiking it up around the rump?"

"How indecent..." Despite her words she tried he look, sticking in a fresh pin. "Mmm... You may be onto something. Leave the legs open, offer it as a running of the leaves-ready garment... Yes... Spike, dear, you are truly the best."

"I do what I can." He flashed a thumbs up. "Just don't expect me to fill in for ponyquinns anymore."

"Yes yes." She gestured at the inert pony that was serving the purpose. "As you can see, I'm working with a real one."

"Good. This dragon has his own dates." He patted himself on the chest as he turned. "But we can, you know, be friends."

"With pleasure."

It would take more time for all the rough edges to be smoothed between them, but a fresh rope had been tossed back over the divide. The bridge building began in earnest between them.


"That was amazing." Stellar put her hooves to her cheeks. "We've cleared up my son's little problem, and I got to lift the moon! How many unicorns can say that in this day and age?"

Platinum considered a moment before raising a hoof. "Five, I believe. Six if you count me, seven if we fold Luna into the mix. That's still a delightfully small number to belong to."

"And I owe it to you." She threw an arm over Platinum. "You've been nothing but a dear friend since we met. You're such an interesting case to me at times. You're something so very new, and yet so very old. Starlight's father would love to meet you, and I imagine he will, when I drag you back to my town."

Platinum lifted an ear at that. "Your town? I'm going there?"

"Whyever would you not?" asked Stellar, looking baffled. "I'm going to treat you like the princess that. you. are." She emphasized each sentence with a poke of Platinum's chest. "And in the center of my influence, I can assure that you are handled just the way you deserve."

"That sounds... delightful, on consideration." She stroked her chin. "Will you help me start my business? I wish to become productive."

"Of course!" Stellar threw a hoof wide. "We'll get you a storefront and some signs. I know some amazing graphics designers to get you some logos that really pop. Let's get started."


Sunburst and Twilight were proud parents. Their child; a greater understanding of a rare but terrible disease. It could be managed in foalhood, and, with enough effort, in adulthood. Knowledge of how to diagnose and treat the condition was being spread across the country, so that fewer ponies would ever have to deal with their horns betraying them.

Twilight softly kissed Sunburst's cheek. "We're done reading."

"You know that's a lie."

"Hmm?"

Sunburst waved a hoof over the castle entire. "We'll never be done reading, we just finished one book, and we both have so many more to put our eyes on."

"That is... true." Twilight tapped at her chin softly. "You aren't leaving then?"

Sun hiked a brow. "Why would I do that? I thought we were--"

She planted a kiss on his talking lips, silencing him. "I was joking."

She did not expect him to return the kiss instead of blushing and looking awkward. He was pressing against her, his scent filling her nose in its curious stallion-like way.

Twilight pressed back, and soon thoughts of books seemed distant for a time. It was boyfriend/girlfriend time. Books could follow after that, she swiftly determined. They trotted off towards a more appropriate room rather than continuing their smooches in the library.

Author's Note:

Fin. Happy endings all around. Ponies have grown, relationships have been forged.

I hope you all enjoyed this ride with me.

Join the special community of folks who like my stories here at atreon!

If you enjoyed the chapter, you could

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 19 )

"It's for a mare, not a dragon." She tapped her chin. "Do you think a dragon could be talked into enjoying a dress?"

And at the School of Friendship, Smolder broke into a panicked coughing fit without knowing why.

In any case, lovely stuff, though I feel it should have ended on Twilight and Sunburst. It was a story about them at its core, after all. Still, a fascinating adventure with numerous unexpected twists and turns. Thank you for it.

9676064
Shuffle shuffle, there we are. Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Nice resolution for everyone. I was confused with Sassy's part though, I thought her magic wasn't affected just she had a large hole in her horn.

9676190
As had been pointed out, having a hole for the magic to come spilling out can't be good for horn use. But Zecora fixed her up nice and good.

9676077
so
what's next?
this story was great, save for a few rocky parts, and i can't wait to see what's next

Another chapter of freindship completed and closed, leaving the story open.

Whats really intresting is that over the last few years, research and technology has been demonstrating that Zecora has definite basis in real world, hopefully leading to even more advancements.

Nature. The Origional Nanotech.:moustache:

I have been following this story for quite some time, and I really enjoyed the ending. Open-ended enough that you could continue on if you so wished but with a satisfying enough conclusion that I'm not desperately waiting for more. Well done!

Last chapter I could scarcely believe it's over, but this one wraps it up nicely. Bravo! :moustache:

I'd like to see the continuing adventure of Platinum, if you ever feel like writing it. Such an unique character to the MLP universe has lots of potential. :raritystarry:

9676205
Yeah, and it sounds like the hole was bigger than I first suspected. Ouch. :fluttershyouch:

Her horn was restored, little better then when she began...

So the potion treatment got Sassy's magical ability back to about the level it started? Is that because it didn't grow back perfectly, or just strain from the whole ordeal and/or getting used to a new configuration, like when Platinum altered Sunburst's?

9677399
A combination of being more 'clear' but also having suffered internal structural damage and it coming out to a basic wash combined with a little trauma.

9680252
Pretty sure it was one of the Long Path fics, when she had drunk changeling love-goo, temporarily burning out her ability to feel love.

Just reread this in one go, and it's not a bad fic. Worth an upvote, if not quite a favorite. About my only real problem--and it is a small one--is that the ending feels a little rushed. Not nearly as bad as when I was reading each new chapter upon release, but still a little bit. I understand you've hit the story notes you were aiming for--TwiBurst is together, the book is deciphered, its information is disseminated to Equestria at large, and Sunburst's horn is fixed. But it still feels like the denouement could have been a little longer, though I'm not entirely sure how. All the loose ends are tied up nicely, without being too drug out, but they still feel just a little...abbreviated? Perfunctory, maybe? Not entirely sure what word I want to use.

EDIT: 7/10, might read again, but probably not soon. Would definitely read sequels/other stories in this setting.
9680384
I don't recall reading any fics like that, but I'm not going to say you're wrong. It seems a simple enough idea to have come up in several places.

9680709
It was this one, I think. (You can trace back to the beginning of the 'verse via links in the descriptions.)

A sweet ending.

Well, that was fun.

Still wondering how it got out of the trackbasket, but this way I didn't have to sit and wait for each chapter, so... bonus? :twilightsmile:

Here's hoping you do more of this Twiburst timeline in the future. :derpytongue2::pinkiehappy:

I think the ending should focus more on Twilight and Sunburst, but I still loved the whole story. Do you plan on continuing it someday? I would definitely read something like that again.

9721887
That is up to my patreons.

10452774
That's mostly it though, social activity varies so wildly, even within the same nominal geographic area, that it's kind of hard to have a class like that, and more importantly, have it be accepted by all parties involves. Heck, just look at how hard it is to get some schools to teach real science in the US, rather than Pop Science because it's flashy, or Religious Science because its ignorant...er I mean, traditional.

Nice story! A little more ending would have been appreciated, but I can see why you ended at this point.

Login or register to comment