• Published 6th Jun 2018
  • 2,694 Views, 49 Comments

A Queen's Perspective - Rainbow Rocks - gerandakis



A message from a distant friend prompts Queen Twilight Sparkle to reopen the mirror portal and face a new magical threat to a world without magic.

  • ...
2
 49
 2,694

Showtime

On stage, Trixie had finished playing yet another version of 'Tricks up my Sleeve' and the Dazzlings came up on stage.

Standing on the hill, the Rainbooms and Sunset watched the three sirens get on stage and raise their voices.

"How are we supposed to play over them from up here?" Rainbow's question was answered by the sound of a car horn from behind them. Driving up the hill came a white convertible. The car stopped behind them and Vinyl Scratch waved at them from the driver's seat. Upon the press of a button the car began to shift, folding out into a makeshift DJ-pult with an impressive amplifier setup and two gigantic speakers on either side. Once more Vinyl gave a thumbs up.

After a few moments of stunned silence the Rainbooms started plugging their instruments and microphones into Vinyl's setup.


On stage, the three sirens had finished the intro to their song and Adagio raised her voice to begin the lyrics.

"Welcome to the show
We’re here to let you know
Our time is now
Your time is running out"

Once more the sirens returned to their wordless vocalisations giving a break in their song.

"So, when do we come in?" Rainbow questioned among her friends.

A number of unsure noises came from the rest of the Rainbooms before Twilight spoke up. "Don't worry girls, I'll give the signal."

The sirens on stage had now ended the calmth and started their song in ernest. As one they raised their voices and they sang.

"Feel the wave of sound
as it crashes down"

At their words they moved their arms first up, then down and a visible wave of red light washed through the audience. Twilight felt as the agitated emotions before her were washed away and replaced with the same empty husks Sunset had created at the Fall Formal.

"You can't turn away
We'll make you wanna sta-a-a-ay

We will be adored
Tell us that you want us
We won't be ignored
It's time for our reward

Now you need us
Come and heed us
Nothing can stop us now"

Oh really? Twilight thought to herself, a sly smirk playing across her lips We'll see about that. With a short moment of focus she sent a pulse of psychic energy to the rest of the Rainbooms who understood immediately. With a drumroll from Pinkie the Rainbooms fell into the song.

"Oh-oh, oh-whoa-oh
I've got the music in me
Oh-oh, oh-whoa-oh"

At a powerful guitar riff from Rainbow, Twilight began to sing alone as the rest of the Rainbooms fell silent, letting their instruments speak for them.

"Don't need to hear a crowd
Cheering out my name
I didn't come here seeking
Infamy or fame"

Once more the Rainbooms sang as one.

"The one and only thing
That I am here to bring
Is music, is the music
Is the music in my soul

Gonna break out
Set myself free, yeah
Let it all go
Just let it be, yeah

Find the music in your heart
Let the music make you start
To set yourself apart"

As they sang a now familiar wave of magic washed over the girls and once more their ears became the pointed ears of ponies and moved to the top of their heads, as their hair grew long, bound together at hip height, creating the image of a tail, Rainbow and Fluttershy grew feathered wings matching the respective colors of their skin, and Twilight, once more grew large, deep crimson gossamer wings, buzzing behind her.

On the stage the sirens grew mischievous smirks as Adagio voiced the thought the three shared among them. "So the Rainbooms want to turn this into a real Battle of the Bands?

"Then let's battle!"

Once more the three sirens fell into the song.

"What we have in store
All we want and more
We will break on through
Now it's time to finish you!"

From somewhere, likely the gems they wore, the sirens heard a loud guitar chord as energy pulsed between their pendants. And as the rocky guitar music turned to metal, the sirens lifted off the ground, shrouded in a dark mist as they transformed. They didn't change much, but as the mist parted, it became clear that they had sprouted a strange combination of wings and fins.

Suddenly, bursting from the girls, came three ethereal forms, which Twilight immediately recognized as the sirens' natural forms, large winged reptiles of draconic appearance, but with more fin-like appendages, even a tail fin, and characteristic slits on the side of their throats, indicating the presence of gills. Of course the absence of water to breathe didn't at all bother the ethereal forms of the sirens as they shot forward towards the hill where the Rainbooms had taken up positions.

As the ethereal sirens circled around them like hungry sharks, Vinyl simply dialed up her amplifiers and with a drawn out drumroll from Pinkie, pop-music once more flooded the area. A wave of rainbow-colored magic radiated out from Vinyls speakers, knocking the three sirens back.

The rest of the rainbooms didn't stand idly by either and with an energetic tune on her keytar Rarity opened the counterattack, launching a salvo of diamond shaped force-constructs at Aria's aetherial self. The siren did the equivalent of rearing up, moving backwards and helplessly waving her finlike appendages before her body to try and defend herself.

Sonata's ethereal form reacted much the same as with a furious shake of her tambourine Fluttershy sent a veritable tidal wave of magical butterflies against the siren.

Finally, Twilight herself raised her voice and with a long drawn out note sent a wave of purple and orange starbursts against the final aethereal siren. Adagio, however, was having none of it, her ethereal form opened its maw and waves of red energy shot from it as she sang, pushing Twilight's attack back. Both attacks finally dissolved and the three aetherial sirens regrouped.

As one, they opened their maws and they sang. The combined force of their voices pushed the Rainbooms backwards, before knocking them off their feet entirely. As Twilight tumbled backwards, the microphone flew from her hands and landed on the floor with a dull thud. It rolled over before finally coming to an abrupt stop at the tip of Sunset's boot.

In that moment, realisation lit up Twilight's face as she called out, "Sunset Shimmer! We need you!"

Sunset looked down at the microphone at her feet. Then her face morphed into one of determination, with one hand she grabbed her leather jacket and pulled it off of her, revealing the purple upper part to the dress she was wearing. With the other she reached down and seized the microphone. She gave a glance to Vinyl at her mixing pult, who simply grabbed a record and placed it on her player. Immediately an energetic drum beat came from the speakers at her sides.

For the first time this evening, Sunset raised her voice and sang.

"You're never gonna bring me down
You're never gonna break this part of me
My friends are here to bring me 'round
Not singing just for popularity"

As she sang, she walked over to Twilight, reaching down and helping her up. Sharing the microphone the two continued as one as the rest of the Rainbooms retook their places.

"We're here to let you know
That we won't let it go"

Once they had all seized their instruments the Rainbooms sang as one.

"Our music is a bomb and it's about to blow"

The Rainbooms fell silent focusing on their instruments as Twilight and Sunset continued

"And you can try to fight
But we have got the light of-"

Finally the Rainbooms fell into the song once more.

"-Friendship on our side!

Got the music in our hearts
We're here to blow this thing apart"

As they sang a rainbow coloured shockwave washed out from them and the students blinked as the mind-control fell off them.

"And together, we will never
Be afraid of the dark

Suddenly Sunset let go of the microphone as she floated up into the sky, a blinding yellow glow of magic around her, as she transformed to match the others. Her ears moving upwards and becoming pointy, and her hair elongating into a long ponytail.

Here to sing our song out loud
Get you dancing with the crowd
As the music of our friendship
Survives, survives!

The rest of the Rainbooms now too started glowing brightly, as they were lifted into the air, floating alongside Sunset. A swirling cloud formed above them as streaks of colorful magic shot up from them in a large, prismatic beam. Finally a streak of red flowed up along it, coming from Sunset herself. Seeing that students and teachers alike raised their voices, falling into the song alongside the Rainbooms.

"Got the music in our hearts
We're here to blow this thing apart
And together, we will never
Be afraid of the dark

Here to sing our song out loud
Get you dancing with the crowd
As the music of our friendship
Survives, survives, survives!"

As they sang the clouds above their heads parted to reveal a bright orb of swirling magic floating above them.

Soon enough two large prismatic gossamer wings grew from it's sides as a long smooth horn grew upwards from it.

Slowly, stretching out from the orb came the multicolored form of a changeling queen, bearing fur and large wings, holes in her legs and fangs, as well as eyes with slitted pupils, shining a pure white in the darkening sky of the evening. Most noticeable however were the plates of chitin covering the neck and upper torso of this queen, as well as some of her forelegs. Twilights mouth fell open, as she recognized this queen from one of Cadista's paintings. Yumia?!

As the singing stopped Rainbow gave a few deafening riffs from her guitar as the gigantic ethereal changeling queen lowered her horn and unleashed a prismatic beam from it. The rainbow beam flowed straight through the aethereal sirens, who looked no less stunned at this display of raw magical power than their masters on stage who were engulfed in the beam a split second later.

Cracks began forming in the gems, the sirens wore around their necks, mirrored in the aetherial forms above.

Then, as one, both shattered.