• Published 7th Dec 2018
  • 3,246 Views, 202 Comments

The Samurai's End - Onomonopia



Jack has lived in Equestria for a lifetime. A lifetime that will not come to an end.

  • ...
7
 202
 3,246

Sakura

The sound of each of Jack's steps echoed across the hallway, amplified by the silence of the hospital. The sensation that was coursing through his veins was a new sensation to him. He had felt sorrow when he watched his kingdom burn. He faced fury when he had first realized the trick Aku had played on him. And even fear had shown it's head when Applejack had been killed in a temple long ago. But the stomach churning nervousness he was currently facing was new to him.

The doctor's had told him not to worry. To sit and to wait while they did their jobs. it was a standard procedure and one that they had performed many times. She was in perfectly good hooves. But they didn't know of Jack's past. Of how he would come so close to happiness only to have it ripped from his grasp at the last second. Even with Aku, the one mostly responsible for said tragedies, dead, Jack still worried that maybe his curse was still upon him. That this is where his happiness would be snatched away once more.

He was distracted from his own concerns as Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie walked down the hallway to where Jack was standing. Twilight wore a nervous look that was similar to Jack's, Rainbow Dash was yawning and trying to keep her eyes open, and Pinkie looked like she was trying to hold in a tidal wave of excitement and the dam was about to burst.

"How is everything going?" Twilight asked, her voice not betraying her worry.

"They are in there with her now. It has been a while. I am not sure how long. I cannot bring myself to look at the clock," Jack quickly mumbled. He then went back to pacing, occasionally glancing towards the door that stood between him and his wife. The magic the unicorns at the hospital's used kept the rooms soundproof, so Jack had no clue what was going on behind those doors. That did not help his nerves.

"I'm surprised you're out here," Rainbow Dash muttered. "With how the two of you seem to never leave each others side, I thought for sure you would be glued at her bedside, waving your sword at anypony who got close."

"That is not far from what I was doing. They kicked me out for constantly getting in their way," Jack answered. "And so I pace. And worry. And curse my own helplessness."

"Jack, there's no need to worry. Everything is going to be fine," Twilight comforted, placing a hoof on Jack's shoulder. "Some of the best doctor's in Equestria are in there and Applejack is one of the toughest ponies I know. She didn't survive all her crazy adventures with us and you to give up here. Just relax."

"I have tried Twilight, but then I remember my past. Of hopes and promises of happiness and home, only to be faced with terror and suffering," Jack whispered. "I know that Aku is dead. I know that this is not the same world that constantly loved to watch me suffer. Yet I can't shake the feeling that this happiness will not last. That fate is waiting to rip away my happiness one last time."

"That's just the stress talking Jacky! And trust me, you look really stressed!" Pinkie sang. "Totally understandable, but I can't be anything but excited! I mean Applejack's having a foal! One of my bestest friends in the world is having a baby foal and I'm here to witness it! I'm going to have to throw my first foal shower for one of my closest friends! This is the best...day...ever."

"I...must admit, Pinkie, I did not expect you to be the tame," Jack said. "I expected you to be screaming from the heavens about your excitement and how you were going to throw the greatest party that the world had ever seen."

"Oh believe me I would be screaming right now, but the main doc here said that if he catches me screaming or breaking into song at the hospital one more time he'll throw me to those very heavens! That's why I'm doing my best to keep my indoor voice. Trust me Jacky, it's taking every ounce of my willpower not to break into song right now." Pinkie then glanced over her shoulder to see a stallion with a pair of glasses slowly slinking back into the shadows. She shivered slightly, knowing that despite being gone, he was still somehow watching her.

"Jack, I can understand why you're nervous, but this isn't Earth. This is Equestria. Where magic, friendship and wonder are commonplace," Twilight comforted. "You've defeated Aku, freed your world and entrusted a close friend of yours to keep them safe. But all of that is behind you. You're here now. And whatever fate had in store for you in your world, I promise you that it will not harm you here. I will make sure of that."

"Thank you...my friends," Jack smiled. Rainbow Dash then let out a snore and fell over, sprawling out in the middle of the hallway. "Though I must apologize for bring you all in so early in the morning."

"Don't worry about it! We wouldn't miss this for anything! Except for Fluttershy who's too afraid of the dark to go out this early. And Rarity who put locks on her house that even I can't get past to keep me from disturbing her beauty sleep. But don't worry! We're here!" Pinkie yelled. Another shiver went up her spine and out of the corner of her eye she spied a doctor glaring at her from the shadows. "I'll be quiet now."

"Mr. Jack?" Jack and the three mares turned towards the door, which was open slightly and a nurse was looking out. "You can come in now. But only you. You three will have to wait out here."

Jack nodded to his friends, who gave him confident smiles in return. He headed towards the door and placed his hoof on the handle, where time seemed to freeze for a moment. For an eternity, his fear and his hopes clashed together within him. Then he let out a sigh and opened the door.

It was the best decision he could have made.

The sun was just beginning to rise of the horizon, bathing everything in the room in an orange and red glow, including the mare who was laying in a bed with a bundled foal held in her arms. Jack's first instinct was to look into Applejack's smiling face. She looked exhaust and pain was still clearly there, but it was all being suppressed by the sheer joy and love that drowned out all other emotions. After a moment she glanced up to see Jack and her smile grew even wider.

"Jack...congratulations. Come here and look at yer daughter."

Jack walked over beside Applejack, resting his head on her shoulder as he gazed down at the foal...his foal. She had the same coat of orange that Applejack had, but the black tufts of her mane that dangled down in front of her closed eyes told Jack what she had inherited from him. She was so small, so...fragile. Just by gazing upon her Jack knew that he would fight the very heavens themselves to keep her safe.

Then the tears began to well up in his eyes, tears that were brought forth not by sadness or pain, but of pure joy. He was staring down at their daughter, his daughter, who was being held by his wife. And there was no Aku there to take them from him, no army of robot insects waging war on the hospital. There was only him, his beloved...and now, the center of his whole universe. And the happiness that welled up within him was almost too much for him to bear. He had learned to bear sorrow and pain, but this level of happiness...was almost too much.

Jack felt Applejack press her lips against his cheek and when he glanced down at her he found she was smiling up at him with tears in her eyes. "Ah never thought...ah could be this happy. Ah'll those years of working on the farm, saving the world or just...living...never once did ah think ah would feel this happy. Thank ya Jack...thank ya..."

"Hmm, I should be the one thanking you. You are the one who not only brought me into your family, but...you helped me to overcome my own demons with my family. Then you helped me to overcome my real demon. And then you gave me the greatest gift you could give. You. Her. This happiness," Jack smiled. "Thank you, my beloved. Thank you for granting me the happiness that I never thought I would know."

"...hey Jack, about the name?" Applejack murmured. "Ah was thinking it over and...ah want ya to name her."

"Me? But you said you had so many names planned for her that, well, I thought we both silently agreed that you were going to name her?"

"Ah was. But, ah thought about it, and ah want ya to name her. And not with a pony name," Applejack explained. "Ah can do the middle name and ya better believe it's going to be apple related, but ah want her first name to come from yer world. From yer home. To...honor them."

Jack smiled softly at Applejack, amazed that this mare who had given him so much could always find ways to surprise him. He thought about what he wanted to name her, coming up with plenty of suitable names, but then the sun caught his eye. He followed the sun beam to see that from the way the light was shining on the leaves they looked pink to him. Like pink petals. Like the pink petals that used to bring him so much happiness as a boy. And he knew what to name her.

"Sakura," Jack said to Applejack. "Sakura is the perfect name for her."

"Sakura, huh? Ah like it," Applejack nodded. "Ah think ah'll go with Blossom fer her middle name, after mah great aunt."

"Sakura Blossom? How do you do it, my love?" Jack asked AJ, who looked at him with some confusion. Instead of explaining further, he leaned down and kissed his daughter on the forehead.

"Welcome to the world, my Sakura Blossom."