• Published 7th Dec 2018
  • 3,245 Views, 202 Comments

The Samurai's End - Onomonopia



Jack has lived in Equestria for a lifetime. A lifetime that will not come to an end.

  • ...
7
 202
 3,245

Battle

Jack let out an inhuman roar as he swung his blade in a large arc, slicing through multiple shadow beings all at once. Yet it hardly seemed to matter. For the couple that fell, there were a good thousand to take its place. Twilight’s numbers had been off, a rare mistake from her.

Instead of there being nearly a hundred, like she had told Jack, there were thousands of them, all pouring out of a crack in the ground that spewed evil energy. Jack was outnumbered completely.

It felt nostalgic for him.

He lashed out with his sword a few more times, driving the dark beings far enough back to give him some breathing room and to study these beings closer. They had no real shape, as they shifted and changed like the shadows they were made from, but they did seem to like being on two legs, with their front appendages used as weapons. Their weapons would not save them.

Jack let out another bellow before he dove back into the dark mass, swinging his blade in every direction to strike down as many of them as he could. They slashed back at him, but by the time they brought their weapons down on him he was already gone. He moved like a blur, his white kimono making him look like a ray of light that was tearing through the darkness.

“Is this all you have?! I demand a challenge!” Jack roared into the darkness.

As if to answer him, the dark mass began to swirl together, merging into a single, colossal warrior. The giant had six arms, all of which held a different weapon within its grasp. A sword, spear, club and plenty of other weapons all pointed towards Jack. His response was to spit at the ground.

The shadow titan roared before driving its spear towards Jack, who leapt out of the way with ease. The sword came next, sweeping down at an angle to crush him. A simple sidestep was all Jack needed to avoid being crushed. The other weapons quickly followed, one after the other, but by the time they struck where Jack had been standing, he was already gone.

“You fight like a less dangerous Aku. I am insulted,” Jack spat.

The shadow titan roared at the samurai’s arrogance before it brought it spear back, aiming at where Jack was standing. This time the samurai didn’t bother to try to move out of the way. He just waited. The beast let out a roar as it plunged the spear at Jack. At the last second, Jack leapt into the air and watched as the spear drove itself into the ground where he had been standing. He landed on the head of the spear, kicking off of it and racing up the handle towards the shadow beings head.

The shadow titan tried to knock him off with its other arms, but every time it did Jack would just leap onto the next arm and continue his climb. By the time the titan had managed to get its spear free of the ground, Jack was already at its head…with his weapon drawn.

“HHHHYYYYYYAAAAAHHHHH!!”

Jack slashed his blade through the titans head before dragging his blade through its body, cleaving it in two as he fell towards the ground. He landed in a pose as the shadow titans exploded into a rain of shadow creatures, who fell lifelessly around the samurai. Jack slowly rose up as the shadow creatures began to stir, glaring at them with cold eyes.

“Come. We are not finished,” he whispered, pointing his blade at them.

For a moment the shadow creatures stared at Jack, before, all at once, they all turned and raced back altogether towards the tear in the earth that they had sprung from. By the hundreds they dove in, before the chasm let out a roar and closed itself up behind them, leaving the samurai alone and victorious.

“NO! Come back here and face me!” Jack roared, racing over to where the tear had been and driving his blade into the ground. “I demand battle! I demand that you face me as warriors! I…I…”

Jack regained control of himself and pulled his sword from the ground, letting out a sigh as he cleaned the blade before sheathing it. He then looked around the plains just to make sure all of the shadow beings were gone. When he found no trace of them, he turned and started to head back towards the other soldiers Twilight had sent out with him. At least somepony would be happy to hear that the creatures were gone.

====è

Jack had never enjoyed being in Canterlot.

The city was too…regal for his tastes. While he had at one time been a prince who lived in a similar regal city, that time was past and that boy was long dead. Now Jack found no comfort in the large buildings or the number s of ponies that filled the streets with chatter. He longed for the quiet fields, the bubbling lakes in a forest or a farm where the scent of apples filled the air. That was where he felt at peace. This city…bothered him.

Yet even as he stared down from a balcony in the castle upon the city, he forced himself to remember that these were still the ponies he had sworn to protect. That this was the world he was sworn to protect. Just because his love was gone didn’t mean that he should be scornful. Distant, maybe. But not scornful. He was better than that.

The sound of a door opening told him Twilight had arrived, so he waited until the purple alicorn stood beside him before he finally spoke.

“The caribou warriors that were trying to sneak in through the south forest have been repelled. All of them still live, as your ordered,” Jack said.

“Thank you, Jack. Hopefully in time we will be able to convince their council that Equestria wants nothing but peace with their tribe. But until then, we cannot let them run amok in my lands,” Twilight replied.

Twilight had changed much over the years, both physically and mentally. She was now the size of Celestia, no longer the smallish mare that she had once been. Her mane was similar to Luna’s, in that it had the stars in it, but with a more purple shade than blue. She had the same aura as Celestia, kind, but not somepony you wanted to mess with. Yet only Jack could sense the awkwardness she sometimes felt. Twilight had never truly been able to fit the princess mold…just like how he would never be a prince.

She had also grown much as a mare. She was no longer indecisive, unable to act when her plans fell apart. She was also a little tougher, able to make hard calls when the situation demanded it. Yet she had never lost her kindness or her love of learning. It was actually a joke among the guards that they had to be extra careful when the princess went to a new land, for she might run off exploring and get herself in danger.

Yet Jack took a small bit of comfort in knowing that his friend hadn’t completely changed.

“…did you hear me, Jack?” Twilight asked.

“Sorry, I was thinking. Please, if you would not mind,” Jack said.

“I was saying that you should be happier than you are. You’re great grandcolt, Heavy Metal, just became the new Captain of the Guard,” Twilight repeated, before she glanced around with a smile. “I’m not supposed to tell anypony that. Not even he knows. I’m going to surprise him with it at the ceremony tomorrow.”

“From what I know of him, he is one that gets easily flustered when caught by surprise. I see that the years haven’t rid you of your devious side,” Jack said with a smile.

“Let’s just say that I know see why Celestia like to cause trouble when she could,” Twilight replied, before her smile fell slightly. “You know, he would probably be really happy to see you there. I mean, you are still the most legendary warrior in Equestria and your presence might just make him feel better. And, he’ll be getting his fathers blade at the ceremony as well…your old blade.”

“I am sorry, but there is too much to be done,” Jack replied.

“Okay Jack, if you say so,” Twilight replied. “Jack, when was the last time you visited your family?”

“Why are you asking?”

“Just to know. You kinda lose track of time when you’re an immortal. Some times I’m not sure if weeks have past or years. I need to be reminded now and then.”

“It has been…a few years since I last saw them in pony,” Jack admitted. “I have kept myself busy with work and they lead their own lives now. It is…hard to find time.”

“Hmm…Jack, you probably should go see them soon,” Twilight suggested. “I mean, they’re your family and…Sakura’s getting up there in years. She’s almost the same age as Applejack when she…”

Jack didn’t respond.

“Just take it from me, you want to spend as much time with them as you can. Because once they’re gone…” Twilight didn’t finish her sentence.

“Thank you for the advice, princess. If you may excuse me, there are numerous new recruits that must be trained.” Jack bowed and started to head for the door, but Twilight stopped him by making a coughing sound.

“Jack…can I say something…selfish?” Twilight asked. Jack turned and nodded to her. “I’m…kinda glad that you’re like me. Immune to time. My old friends have all passed, Spike’s off living his own life, Cadence and Flurry rule the Crystal Empire…my parents and brother both having passed on…I’m just glad that I’ve have a friend to rely on all of these years. You’ve helped make the passing of time a little easier.”

“I’m am glad that I have been able to help you, Twilight,” Jack said with a smile. Twilight smiled back before she looked over her kingdom, telling Jack it was time to leave.

Jack started to head for the training ground until he remembered what Twilight had told him. That he should visit his family. That Sakura was almost as old as Applejack had been. About how as an immortal she lost track of time. For a moment Jack wondered if he had done the same.

The samurai then turned and headed for the train station, a new destination in mind. It had been too long since he had last seen his family. So he would pay them a visit. Yet even with everything Jack had gone through, he still couldn’t fight back his nerves at seeing them again after so long…or the fear that was slowly beginning to gnaw at him.