• Published 13th May 2018
  • 8,903 Views, 1,149 Comments

Twin Twilight Tales - MagnetBolt



Sunset Shimmer has made a small mistake. That mistake is purple, short, and asks a lot of tricky questions.

  • ...
21
 1,149
 8,903

Chapter 15

"Hear ye, hear ye, the Solar Court is now in session," yelled the crier. Sunset sighed and, still less than comfortable with this, stepped out into the throne room. Celestia had advised her to wear something she'd feel comfortable in for a few hours, and she'd settled on a simple collar and a few pieces of jewelry. Less than what Celestia usually wore to the court, but she didn't feel right just copying her mentor.

And if she'd worn a giant crown it might have sent the wrong message.

"Presiding over the court, the honorable Duchess Sunset Shimmer," the crier continued. There were a few murmurs from the gathering crowd, but they'd known she was going to be taking over herself well in advance, and it was really only news to a few.

"Good morning, everypony," Sunset said, feigning a smile. "So, who do we have today as the first case?" She settled down on the throne, the size of the thing making her feel like a foal. She made a mental note to bring a pillow. Or maybe a different chair. She could practically fit another throne (sized for a normal pony) just in Princess Celestia's seat.

"Mister Crouton and Miss Caesar against the Crouton and Caesar families regarding a marriage proposal," said the court aide, Raven, as she gave Sunset a scroll with a summary of the issue.

"Please come forward," Sunset said, as she glanced over the scroll. "I've got the paperwork here, but I'd like to hear it in your own words."

Two very young ponies, only a little older than Midnight and Twilight, approached the throne to one side, and older ponies, clearly their parents, approached on the other side, occasionally glaring at each other.

"Your Highness-" the young stallion started.

"Just Ma'am, or Sunset," Sunset said. "I'm not a Princess."

"Well, Ma'am," the stallion corrected. "My marefriend and I want to get married, but our parents won't allow it, and we're not old enough to get married without their permission."

"You're fifteen!" The older stallion who looked like Crouton’s father yelled. "You are far too young to make decisions like that!"

"We're in love, Dad!" Crouton said. "What's so bad about wanting to share the rest of our lives together? Just because you broke up with your high-school sweetheart-"

Sunset coughed loudly. "No yelling, please. We're here to solve arguments, not just act as a host for them."

"I apologize, Ma'am," the elder Crouton said. "But this whole thing is nonsense. The law says he can't get married without our permission, and if there's anything I can agree on with his marefriend's parents, it's that neither of them is ready."

"Our daughter can't possibly understand. She's simply not old enough," the mare whom Sunset had to assume was Caesar's mother put in. "I want her to be happy, and she's too young to know what that really means."

Sunset rubbed her chin, thinking. "You do have legal precedent and both the intent and word of the law on your side." She looked at Crouton and Caesar. "The reason those laws exist is to prevent young ponies from making decisions that can affect their lives before they have enough experience to understand the consequences."

Thankfully she wasn't struck down instantly by the forces of irony just for saying that out loud.

"But the law can be bypassed if you allow it," Crouton said. "We're in love, and it's not going to just go away. But our parents won't let us be together - they're going to make us break up because they think we're going too fast! If we don't get married, we can't be together at all."

Sunset tapped her hoof against the throne. What would Celestia do? She wouldn't overturn the law and set precedent unless it was needed. But she'd want to find a way to make everypony happy with a compromise.

"I think," Sunset said, at length. "We can find a way to resolve this that takes everypony's concerns into consideration."
"You mean we can get married?" Crouton asked, smiling.

"Yes. In three years," Sunset said. "At that point you'll be of age and can get married no matter what your parents think."

"But we can't wait that long! If we have to spend three years apart-"

"And in the meantime," Sunset continued. "Your parents will sign a contract that prevents them from forbidding you from seeing her. If you stay together for three years, then they will allow you to get married. I'm sure we can even work an incentive in there. Perhaps free use of one of the ballrooms for the wedding and reception?"

"That'll never work!" the elder Caesar yelled. "I'm not going to sign anything that lets him corrupt my daughter and probably get her with foal just because they think they're in love!"

"Corrupt your daughter?!" The elder Crouton screamed. "It's my son that your temptress has enslaved!'

Sunset groaned as they descended into screaming at each other.


"It could have gone better," Sunset sighed. "In the end they refused to take any compromise that they weren't happy with. Maybe if Celestia had suggested it, they'd have just bowed and scraped at her wisdom, but I'm not good enough, apparently." She collapsed into a chair in the sitting room.

"It's possible you didn't make the compromise even enough," Twilight Sparkle said, from where she was studying. "Did you do the math?"

"What math?" Sunset asked.

"Celestia recommended some books on philosophy to me after I said that all soft sciences were junk," Twilight said. "And there was one about how morality could be reduced to a math equation. You just look at how much each side values certain outcomes and determine the greatest good from their valuation of each potential scenario."

"That seems like a lot of work," Sunset muttered.

"But if done accurately, you can ensure the best result," Twilight said. She picked up a few books and levitated them over to Sunset. "Here. This has the basics, but it's really just a simple optimization problem."

"Huh..." Sunset started reading. It was tempting to be able to fall back on math instead of having to try and negotiate a compromise...


"Now hearing the case of Cherry Jubilee against Sundae Best," the Crier called out.

Sunset looked at the blackboard behind her. She'd had it brought in this morning so she could do the math openly instead of making ponies wait while she worked on an abacus. Showing your work was important, after all.

"Good morning, your worshipfulness," Cherry Jubilee said, fluttering her eyelashes. "Thank you ever so much for hearing this case. I do apologize for how this escalated until you had to hear about it."

"Not sorry enough to handle this like an adult," Sundae Best muttered, the white, dappled mare tossing her chocolate-brown mane back as she adjusted her red beret.

"So this is an issue about... the price of cherry preserves?" Sunset asked, as she skimmed over the notes. That seemed like a good test for the mathematical model of handling the court. Prices were a number, after all, and math really preferred working with numbers.

"That's correct," Cherry Jubilee said. "You see, it's a bit of a complicated situation."

"I can handle complicated," Sunset said.

"Alright, sugar, but don't say I didn't warn you."


"...And because of that, the agricultural futures market is a very risky business, and relies on things going according to plan. If you buy low and there's a shortage, you come out ahead, but if you buy high and the season is better than expected, you still have to buy at that high price."

"Okay," Sunset said, slowly.

"And the preserves," Cherry Jubilee said. "Are from last year's stock, but you have to take into account the cost of replacement rather than the cost at the time of making them..."


"...So because of the rain shortage in Cloudsdale on account of Hollow Shades being unable to produce a waterspout, the harvest predictions fell low by almost thirty percent, which was compounded by the loss of workers from the rush to Appleoosa and the increased property taxes that were used to modernize the train tracks..."


"...And all in all, it's just impossible for me to sell cherry preserves at ten bits a jar. I'd have to spend twenty just to keep the farm from closing!" Cherry Jubilee wiped a tear from the corner of her eye.

"Okay, well, that's great and all, but here's my counter-argument," Sundae Best said. "We have a contract for ten, and you can take your sob story and push it right up your-"

Sunset coughed loudly.

"Okay, well, that's quite a story," Sunset said. "But you do, from what I understand, have a contract."

"That's correct," Cherry Jubilee said. "And there's an escape clause in case I am unable to meet the requirements. I would pay Miss Sundae Best a sum of seven hundred bits as a flat sum and then I would be released from the contract in perpetuity."

"The escape clause is only allowed when you can't provide the goods, not just because you don't want to!" Sundae best snapped. "You've got the cherries!"

"But I can't provide them at that price!" Cherry Jubilee frowned.

"Wait, wait," Sunset said, raising her hooves. "How many jars of preserves are we talking about?"

"A hundred," Cherry Jubilee said.

"So we're arguing all this over..." Sunset did the math in her head. "Three hundred bits."

"Three hundred bits, assuming she accepts the offer and buys her normal stock," Cherry Jubilee said, nodding. "It seems like such a small matter, doesn't it?"

"It's not three hundred bits," Sundae Best countered. "It starts there, but then every year after that it's more, and without a contract you can just keep raising the price."

"If you can get jars of cherry preserves of the same quality for less than twenty a jar, I would surely like to know where," Cherry Jubilee said. "Why the last three years we've been running at a loss selling to you!"

"Okay!" Sunset yelled. "Great! Now, let's see what we can do to solve this and come to a reasonable compromise." She stepped up to the blackboard. "If you have an abacus, feel free to follow along. We'll start with the current price of cherry preserves here..."


Hours later, Sunset was still working on the equation. "And if we average out the typical loan payment from the Royal Bank to keep the farm afloat, we can see that the actual fair market price of the cherry preserves is..." She frowned. "Seven hundred bits per jar? I did something wrong. Let's start over at the top."

The court filled with groans.


"And this time we come to a final conclusive result of fifteen bits per jar," Sunset said, happily. "A little more than the average the first year considering the seven-hundred bit payout, but it should be fair and the new contract can adjust for inflation dynamically..." She turned around when she heard a snore. She was the only pony still awake.

"Wonderful," She groaned.


"Well, first, I don't think that's what Twilight meant by using math to determine a case," Midnight said. "I'm pretty sure the books she was reading actually mentioned math as an abstract type of thing since it's impossible to really, objectively tell how much something matters."

"I know that now, yeah," Sunset sighed.

"Look, Mom, you're a smart pony," Midnight said. "Otherwise Celestia wouldn't have made you her regent. Basically her regent. What you should do is just go with your gut."

"My gut?" Sunset asked.

"Sure. I mean, you've got a killer instinct!" Midnight grinned. "You can handle yourself without needing to do all that boring math. Just do what feels right and things take care of themselves. What are they going to do, say no? You're the highest court to appeal to!"

"Maybe you're right," Sunset said.

"Yeah!" Midnight grinned. "And then you could see more than one case in a day."

Sunset threw a pillow at her.


"Now hearing the case of Heaven Cent against the Royal Revenue Service," the crier yelled. Sunset's eyebrow rose up.

"Before we even begin, am I to understand that the RRS is actually the defendant in this hearing?" Sunset asked. "Because usually they're the ones throwing charges at ponies for evading taxes. And they're usually right."

"Not in this case!" Heaven Cent said. He was a golden - literally golden, since he apparently washed his coat with glitter - stallion with a pure white mane and... yes, Sunset could see literal golden teeth in his mouth. "I am suing them for defamation."

"For defamation," Sunset said, flatly. "Okay. Let's hear it. And keep it brief." She heard some sighs of relief from the court.

"It's simple, Ma'am," Heaven Cent said, starting to pace back and forth. "You see, the RRS has declared that my investment firm has been unfaithful to its investors. Worse than that, they're saying we're a sort of pyramid scheme! That kind of bad press can ruin a pony."

"Is it a pyramid scheme?" Sunset asked. She motioned for Raven to give her the relevant scroll. "According to this you used the investments from lower-ranking partners to pay off the ones above them. Isn't that literally the definition?"

"Of course not," Heaven Cent scoffed. "It's no different than preferred stocks and regular stocks-"

"I'm not as stupid as your investors, Mister Cent," Sunset interrupted. "What is the actual investment plan, if there is one?"

"Exclusive access to stocks that aren't being publically traded yet," Heaven Cent said. "I use the money from the investors to fund startup companies in exchange for partial ownership, then once they go public, the stocks are sold back to the company at a profit and the returns go to the investors in preferred stock order."

"How much of that is legal?" Sunset asked, looking past Heaven Cent to the RRS representative standing off to the side. She knew it was an RRS representative because they all looked identical, and Sunset was halfway sure they only came with numbers instead of names.

"In theory, it's legal," the RRS accountant noted. "However, as they say, Discord is in the details. The issue is that he's attracting investors with unrealistic profit returns from the few successes, and not disclosing to them the number of these startup companies that fail. According to our findings, he uses the money and contracts from later investors to pay off the ones where the endeavor in question has failed."

"Great," Sunset said. "I find in favor of the Royal Revenue Service. Next case."

"What?!" Heaven Cent gasped. "You aren't even going to let me defend myself?!"

"I'm doing you a favor," Sunset said. "You won't win against the RRS. No pony wins against the RRS. At the dark end of the universe, when the stars have faded and the sun has gone out, they'll still be filing forms."

"I will file an official complaint with the Princess!" Heaven Cent yelled, as he stormed out. "And I'll go to the press!"


"So now they're saying I'm just ruling arbitrary," Sunset complained, as she stabbed her fork into some broccoli, dragging it through the hollandaise sauce before eating it, the food almost good enough to remove the frown from her lips. Almost.

"Sunset, if you're just going on instinct, you basically are," Cadance said, bumping her flank against Sunset's. They were eating in front of the fireplace, alone. They'd had to retreat away from the public areas of the castle just to get away from the reporters trying to get Sunset to admit she hated freedom and the economy. "And you should have known ponies would be unhappy."

"What, because I protected them against a jerk?" Sunset frowned.

"Because a lot of very important and rich ponies are jerks just like that one was," Cadance corrected. "And you've set precedent in court that you'll rule on what feels right instead of the letter of the law. A lot of ponies do things that are very wrong, ethically, but are still technically legal."

"Last time I held court, basically none of the nobles showed up," Sunset frowned.

"You just need to regain their trust," Cadance suggested. "You know, Celestia almost never just says no herself. That's one reason ponies like her. She just listens to everypony, and she offers suggestions instead of giving orders, and most importantly, she never says no. She says 'I need to do research on this' or 'I'll send this to committee' or 'I need to have my cabinet look at this' and the problem goes away."

"So I should just defer things?" Sunset asked.

"More that you shouldn't make any negative decisions. Requests get turned down by committees that stay totally faceless and can't be blamed on the Princess at all. When ponies think you agree with them, they like you more. Like how I don't argue with you about the way you use all my conditioner, and I just compliment you on the way your mane looks."

"But you do like the way my mane looks," Sunset said. She paused. "Right?"


"It's a very interesting proposal," Sunset agreed. She looked at the reams of paper in front of her. There were a hundred pages and the smiling stallion who'd presented it had decided that it could be summarized in only a few paragraphs.

"I'm glad you agree," Filthy Rich said. "The current tax laws made sense back when there was a huge divide between the nobility and the common pony, but now we've got a strong middle class, and we need to gradiate the tax spectrum further in order to take care of it. For the average pony, especially those who own their own homes, this should lessen their overall tax burden while still providing the same tax revenue to the crown."

"I'm not saying I agree or disagree," Sunset said. "I said it was an interesting proposal. It's also very detailed."

"It has to be, to cover all edge cases," Filthy Rich said. "For example, ponies who rent, those with lower income who shouldn't be taken advantage of, and small business owners."

"And you would come under that last category," Sunset said.

"Actually, all three," Filthy Rich noted. "Barnyard Bargains owns my home, and I rent it back to them in a rent-to-own schema, and the actual net income of the business is marginal - which we pride ourselves on because it means more value to our customers."

"...I see," Sunset said. "Given the extensive length of these documents, I'd have to get an analysis from an expert-"

"I have one right here, just in case you needed one," Filthy Rich said, putting a folder on top of the legal document. "From my very own accountant."

"Well, even so, we'll need an independent study. The crown maintains experts just for this kind of case and it would be..." Sunset fought to find the right word. "Against policy to not utilize their skills."

Policy was good. You could get away with a lot if it had to do with policy.

"I thought you might say that," Filthy Rich said. "Which is why I have these documents from those very experts..."


"Never again," Sunset groaned, slamming the doors closed so she could get some quiet. After word had gotten out that she was taking any and all proposals seriously, dozens of ponies had shown up out of the woodwork with harmless-sounding suggestions.

Raising the tariff on griffon-made pottery to increase domestic demand. Using Crown funding to get the levees in Neigh Orleans improved (despite the city refusing to spend its own tax dollars on the project). A proposal for free textbooks to be given to children, which Sunset had almost signed until she realized the law required the textbooks to be purchased from a single publishing company and didn't restrict them from raising the cost as much as they wanted.

Sunset collapsed into bed and stared at the ceiling and the shadows racing across it, the setting sun and the trees outside her window casting long, spidery shadows.

"I let them walk all over me, just like Cadance wanted me to," Sunset said, to herself. "And they sure like me, just like they'd like a nice soft mat to cushion their hooves."

Sunset took a deep breath, looking at the shadows.

"Maybe that's why Celestia has me running the court instead of Cadance. She'd just be too nice to ponies. She'd have the country in ruins in a week and they'd fight over who deserves a bigger portion of the ashes. I should just put my hoof down and let them know who's in charge. That's the ticket."


"Did you hear me?" Book Binder said. "I said it was only a verbal contract. Since he didn't actually get anything in writing, we don't owe him a thing for his work, nor do we intend to publish it. Of course, anything sent into the publishing house becomes our property, as he would have noted if he read the legal disclaimer-"

"Be quiet," Sunset said.

"You don't understand," Book Binder continued. "I am just-"

"SILENCE!" Sunset yelled. Book Binder was forced to his knees as the gravity around him abruptly doubled. "I am done listening to this pathetic excuse! You know what my days have been? Listening to useless argument after useless argument! You are all like helpless children and clearly you need discipline!"

"Uh-" Falling Apple, who had been Book Binder's opponent, looked down at his legal foe with concern, then up at Sunset. After a moment, he bowed as well, though out of concern for his own health instead of a sudden increase in gravity (or gravitas).

"You cannot remove a pony's rights to the fruit of their own labor without offering anything in recompense. You are holding his story hostage so you can sue him if he takes it to your rivals at Parasprite Press, aren't you?!" Sunset demanded.

"We- that is-"

"I don't need to hear excuses. Your legal disclaimer is null and void. You do not own works you have not purchased. As you have already confessed in front of this court, you do not even intend to consider purchasing them! I order you to immediately notify every pony whose works are being held hostage in this way that you no longer have a claim to their works, pay a fine for those whose works have been in your possession for more than thirty days without being published, and issue a public apology."

"Thank you, Ma'am!" Falling Apple said. "Please don't smite us!"

"I'll take that under advisement. Next case."


Sunset looked at the papers.

"It's a very tasteful woodcut," Cadance said. "It really captures your essence."

"It shows me sitting on a throne of skulls," Sunset said. "And the article is even worse. It claims I'm going insane with power."

"Do you feel insane?" Midnight asked. She leaned over to Princess Cadance. "Does she seem insane to you? You can use your alicorn magic to check that."

"I'm not insane," Sunset growled. "But I've got an awful headache."

"Maybe you should take a day off," Cadance suggested. "Celestia would understand-"

"What, that I couldn't even make it a week?" Sunset frowned. "No, I can do this. I'll get through the day. It's just a headache."

"Just promise me you won't go insane, Mom," Midnight said. "I don't want Pink Mom to have to banish you to the... where would you banish her to?"

"Love dungeon," Cadance said, firmly.

"Cadance, I have a headache," Sunset groaned.

"Mares always make that excuse," Cadance sighed.


"Okay, no," Sunset sighed, picking the horn from the crier's grasp and just vanishing it into a vector trap. "No loud noises. And somepony close the curtains. I've got a killer headache. Let's just try and get through this."

"Um, yes, Ma'am," Raven said, quietly. "The first case is one Mister Pear Necessities versus Banana Fofana ShimSham Wobana Banana."

"Did I just have a stroke?" Sunset asked.

"No, that really is her name, Ma'am," Raven said, seriously.

"Send them in. Quietly."

Sunset poured herself coffee while she waited for them to, cautiously, approach the throne. They were probably afraid of being thrown into the dungeon. Sunset wasn't sure she had enough energy to order lunch, much less order a pony to be imprisoned.

"What is it?" Sunset asked, leaning back with her eyes closed.

"Please don't smite us," Banana said, simply.

"Granted. Next case."

"Ma'am," Raven warned.

Sunset groaned. "Fine, what is it?"

"Well, not to trouble your eternal fiery lady of darkness or whatever particular epithet you'd like us to worship you under," Pear Necessities started. "But we have a field that we share, and we don't have a formal agreement as to how to share it and-"

"Cut it in half down the middle," Sunset sighed. "Have someone go out and survey the property lines."

"Um, alright," Pear Necessities said, surprised.

"If you want to argue about the value of the field or who owns the crops or whatever, don't," Sunset said. "The surveyor will be impartial and official, and you own whatever is on your side. If you want to change things after that, settle it like adults. Next case."

"Thank you, Ma'am," Banana said, backing up right out of the room.

"That went well," Raven said, pleased. "I was afraid they would argue more about it. The local authorities suggested the same solution."

"Yeah, well, you know how it is." Sunset yawned. "Next case."


"Ma'am?" Raven asked, poking Sunset. "Are you awake?"

"Cut it in half!" Sunset said loudly, sitting up. "I wasn't asleep!"

"Cut it in half?!" A stallion gasped. A mare fainted.

"Ma'am," Raven whispered. "This is a foal custody case."

"Oh horseapples," Sunset sighed.


"Nopony actually got cut in half," Sunset pointed out. Twilight frowned and looked at Midnight.

"Was it your idea?" She asked.

"No, Mom was just feeling sick, and I guess when she's sick she just defaults to good old Queen Hoofrod." Midnight shrugged. "I mean, it almost worked. Except for the cutting a foal in half thing. I'm sure the royal guard wouldn't have actually done it."

"Don't be too sure," Sunset muttered. "They're not that bright."

"My brother is in the Royal Guard," Twilight said.

"Yeah, well," Sunset shrugged. "Maybe he's officer material. At least this is the last day. After this I won't have to deal with it for a while and Celestia can owe me big time for letting her have a week off."

"So what are you going to do today?" Midnight asked. "Tell everypony to save it for next week?"

"As tempting as it is, I know Celestia would tell me I had to listen to their cases at that point because I hadn't really run the court like I said I would," Sunset tapped a hoof in thought. "I don't know. I've tried being nice. I've tried being a tyrant. I've tried compromise. I've tried figuring it out objectively with math..."


Sunset looked at High Class. She looked back at Sunset. Sunset sighed and looked out the window.

"So you want to change Canterlot's zoning regulations so you can build a tower on your property," Sunset said.

"Specifically the regulation about towers being higher than the castle wall, yes," High Class nodded. "I understand it was important in times of war, when the castle wall needed to be able to draw line of sight to any part of the city, but times have changed."

"Well, times have changed," Sunset agreed. She shook her head and stepped down from the throne, facing High Class eye-to-eye. "Look, let's be honest about this. The only reason you want to build a tower is because you want your house to be bigger than the one next door."

"There's no crime against that," High Class said.

"There is, actually," Sunset said. "The zoning laws. The ones you want changed. Honestly, if you had a decent reason for it, I'd be tempted, but no matter how much you claim it's a home observatory or solarium or whatever, it's still just another tool in your little tower measuring contest and you're trying to drag the crown into it because you're feeling impotent."

"It's not-"

Sunset held up a hoof.

"I know." Sunset smiled. "I know what it's like when you have to live your whole life compared to other ponies. It's awful, especially when you come up short and it's not your fault. Look, between you and me and the court, you don't need the tower. You're just out of ideas if it's gotten to this point. Let's come up with something else, right? Something where you won't need to worry about changing the zoning laws."

"...But I already tried everything else," High Class hissed. "I need this!"

"You tried everything you thought of," Sunset agreed. "That's why I'm going to help you think of something new." She put a hoof around High Class's shoulders.

"You're going to help me like that?"

"I'm not Princess Celestia's stand-in just because I have a sun on my flank," Sunset smiled. "And let me tell you a secret - it's a lot easier for me to help you come up with an idea that won't require changing zoning laws. Besides, you'd feel stupid in a month if your rival built an even bigger tower and you were stuck with one you didn't really want."

"I guess," High Class agreed.

"So, how do you feel about illusion spells?"


"You know, I was afraid it was going to go poorly there, for a while," Celestia said. She sipped at her tea for a moment, then blew on the steaming liquid.

"You raise the sun and your tea is too hot to drink without blowing on it?" Sunset asked, smirking.

"Tea is very delicate," Celestia said. "Too hot and it burns. Too cold and it doesn't brew properly. Steep it too long and it's bitter. Don't steep it long enough and it's weak and tasteless." She looked at her cup. "It's a lot like our little ponies, isn't it? And every variety is different. Every harvest has its own quirks."

"I've always preferred coffee," Sunset admitted.

"That's good," Celestia said. "You should have your own tastes. If you and I did things the same way, we'd be judged against each other."

"I have no idea how you manage to run this country," Sunset blurted out. "At least without all of them hating you."

"Tradition, mostly," Celestia said. "They listen to me because I'm old and respected and that respect came entirely with time. My first castle - the first one I had built, I mean - was full of practical jokes and traps and..." She looked wistfully out the window. Sunset followed her gaze. There was nothing there except the moon. "Well, it couldn't last forever. Eventually I had to grow up."

"Are you okay?" Sunset asked, surprised by Celestia's tone.

"Of course, Sunset." Celetia sipped at her tea. "Just thinking of better times." She stopped and smiled across the table. "Well, perhaps not better, but full of nostalgia. I wouldn't give up what I have now for the world."

Sunset blushed slightly. "Sorry about you having to clean up my messes."

"There's little to clean up. In the end you had the right idea. Making friends of the ponies that come to you. It's the best way to really help them, and to connect with them. I'm proud of you, even if it did take a few tries to get it right." She smiled. "Ah, the tea is the perfect temperature."

"Can I try some?" Sunset asked.

"You only ever have to ask."