• Published 11th May 2018
  • 1,211 Views, 50 Comments

Civil War: Light vs Dark - PonyJoel



Do you really know what Dark and Light actually mean? Do you really know what they represent? Only a few ponies know and everypony else is oblivious to it.

  • ...
2
 50
 1,211

Traveling and Findings!

Author's Note:

Twilight Sparkle decides to do her own research on Equestrian History and hoping to find some lost magic. What she ends up finding turns to be quite different than expected.

Another chapter for Anon-A-Miss will be up soon. Wanted to get this story going before the sequels come in place.

Comment if you please.

Have a nice day/night reading.

Twilight Sparkle is at her home in the Castle of Friendship. She just finished reading another book of charms and spells. She grew tired of reading the same books where magic is all the same to her now. Twilight made Spike write a letter to Celestia for her to send more books about magic so she can read and study but to no avail. Out of all the books in her library, Twilight have already read each of her books day in and day out. It came to a point that she would purposely erase her memory so she has a good reason to begin her research once more. After six months of reading the same books, she decided to go on her own quest. The Friendship Map hasn't detected anything problematic in a long time so a nice long week away from home should do the trick. Also to have her own search for Equestrian Magic by searching through the ruins of ancient Equestria wouldn't hurt. Twilight is an all-powerful Alicorn. She'll be able to survive on her own. Twilight decided not to have any of her friends tag along. She felt that spending time apart would do her some good.


Morning has arrived. It is now 7:30 and Twilight got out of bed. She has her things already packed and she left her castle. She trotted towards the train station. Her train will head towards the southern side of Equestria to begin her search. As her train was pulling up, Twilight looked back for a moment. She's truly blessed to have wonderful friends and a loving family. Twilight then turned back around and entered the train. She used her magic to lift a book for her to read during the ride. Her destination would be exactly 13 hours to begin her research. Hoping to find something incredible about magic. Hoping to find something new about ancient Equestrian culture. Twilight couldn't wait to find out exactly what's out there ready to be found. The questions she has on her mind will soon be answering them once she's arrived.

The train left exactly at 7:47. Twilight can now picture all sorts of scenarios running through her mind. Finding hidden treasures, finding secret tunnels that lead to an unexpected library room filled with lost magic. Finding a souvenir to remember her trip for years to come. Twilight could think of endless possibilities as the train continues to move on. For hours, Twilight thought of everything possible. Including finding Discord there for some odd reason. Discord do love making an appearance every now and then. It's no secret to Twilight and that she already has gotten used to Discord's antics. Nothing he can do would surprise Twilight. Not even the slightest.

It is now 8:47 at night. Twilight spend the majority of her day riding on the train. A few hours ago, she fell asleep. She finished reading another book. The book contained Alicorn magic but Twilight has already mastered it. She has mastered a lot of different types of spells, charms, and rituals. Nopony would last 10 minutes against her in a fight now. Twilight's train came to a stop. The conductor of the train went up to Twilight letting her know that she reached her destination. Once Twilight got out of the train, she is now in a desert landscape of Equestria. A perfect place for searching for a ruined temple or something that has hidden messages or meaning. She trotted into the sandy wasteland hoping to find something out of the ordinary.

After 35 minutes of trotting, Twilight saw something sticking out of the sand. She ran towards it and used her magic to clear the sand so she can see it clearly. Twilight just found an entrance. She became excited that she just found probably a hidden tomb or a hidden library. Twilight used her magic to glow her horn, making a light for her as she walked inside. After taking the wrong step in the hallway, Twilight slid down entering a new area. She landed hard on the floor and heard a noise. She got up quickly only to see a stallion in brown robes watching her movements precisely. Twilight was a bit scared at the moment finding somepony here until...

"I see we have a guest here in our domain. I assume you are Twilight Sparkle?" The stallion said smiling.

"How did you know who I am?" Twilight questioned while getting ready to use her magic for combat.

"I have the magic to see who you are as a pony. Your the type of pony who wants to learn about all sorts of magic since it is in your element." He said.

"Alright...you have my attention. What is your name?" Twilight asked.

"My name is Sotnas. I'm a Unicorn with powerful magic unlike any pony has ever seen before." Sotnas stated.

"Tell me Sotnas? What kind of magic do you possess?" Twilight now lowering her guard down a little.

"Dark magic to be precise. I do know about witchcraft and black magic that far exceeds everything towards an Alicorn's magic."

"Dark magic, black magic, and witchcraft are forbidden in all lands of Equestria. Why do you practice such magic like that?"

"Good question. It's how everything started in the beginning when Equestria was originally founded."

"What are you talking about?"

"Equestria was founded by the Pegasi, Unicorn and Earth Ponies with unlimited access to all magic within our world. We created a powerful but peaceful colony. We would normally do anything as we pleased with our unlimited magic. We would be creating new homes for creatures of the unknown seeking help. We would be doing more good than bad until she came into our lives and changed the course of history within her hooves."

"Who's she?" Twilight asked now grabbing a quill and her paper to begin jotting notes. Just to make sure she isn't going crazy after her fall.

"The Sun Goddess herself. Princess Celestia."

Twilight didn't want to believe that her teacher Princess Celestia has anything to do what Sotnas was saying. She now believes everything this colt was saying is all a lie. A way to get her into trouble and cause mischief on all of Equestria but still, she wanted to know more about Sotnas story. It was intriguing to her. She wanted to know more but she's now keeping her guard up.

"Why would Celestia do what you said?"

"Celestia envision herself ruling all things in our land with an iron hoof. With the magic she has during that time, she created something that was not meant for our world to handle but it worked in her favor."

"What did she create?"

"Cutie Marks."

"Sotnas, why would a Cutie Mark be all that bad? It defies you for who you are and defies that special talent you have deep inside," Twilight asked as she wrote everything Sontas was saying.

"Cutie Marks means that you're confined to the limited magic within that specialty. Yours confined to do that one aspect of life. No longer to gain magic from everything else, therefore, that pony who has a Cutie Mark has only one purpose in life. Whatever Cutie Mark that pony has, means he or she will have to do what it represents. Nothing more, nothing less."

"That can't be true. Cutie Marks are essential in our society. Cutie Marks are an important factor in Equestria. Why would Celestia create Cutie Marks for ponies to find out what are they meant to do in life?"

"To contain everypony. Everypony who would have unlimited magic would be an ideal threat to Celestia. To make sure nopony gets any bright ideas, Cutie Marks were created to extinguish other sorts of magic within our world from coming close to the pony."

"Alright, then where does the term blank flanks come from? Also, explain to me why young fillies would get their Cutie Marks sooner than the adults?"

"The term Blank Flank is an ideal way of pushing the young to find their purpose in life quicker so that way, the magic that our world provides won't make them think twice. It's Celestia's way of ensuring her safety in Equestria. To prevent a rebellion from coming or to prevent an outbreak in a magical warfare."

"So what about those who don't have Cutie Marks? What do they feel exactly?"

"For us who don't have Cutie Marks can feel all the magic that our world provides. We can take things beyond an Alicorn's magic. If you want to learn more, I suggest you come into the Darkness with us and we'll discuss more from there."

"Ok, I now know you're crazy. Darkness is bad news. Why would I come with you into the Dark? There will be nothing there but demons ready to attack me!" Twilight said now packing her things up.

"I see Celestia also reworded our definition of Light and Dark."

This caught Twilight off guard. In her list of possibilities, this is certainly not one of them. She's learning something new but it terrifies Twilight to an extent. She didn't want to hear anymore but she wanted more answers and the possibility of learning different magic. She remained where she was and asked Sotnas another question.

"Alright then, if you're saying that Celestia reworded Light and Dark, then tell me. What is the difference between the two?"

"The difference between Light and Dark is one side, there is unity. The other side is to go away forever. The actual term for Dark is to remain strong. To stand together and fight back. The actual term for light is to be blinded. To go where you shouldn't be going to."

"Where would that be?"

"To the other side. When you go towards the Light, it'll take you away. Never to be seen again."

"How does Dark unify ponies?"

"Darkness is not dark at all. Darkness is a special word that brings us together. In the Dark, you're not alone. It's quite beautiful actually. You see the world as clear as day. Darkness is harmony and Light is Disharmony. Celestia would switch the terms meaning that Darkness is evil and Light is good. She used it and then others started to follow her in the wrong direction. Never to be seen again."


"How is that possible when we see each other? When other ponies are able to see one another in a land so beautiful?"

"That's quite easy. Celestia is one powerful pony who can use Illusionment Magic. All you're seeing is a fake paradise within Equestria. In order to rule a colony, you have to make sure everything falls into place."

"What about the Elements of Harmony? Discord? King Sombra? Nightmare Moon? Queen Chrysalis? Are those figments of imagination?"

"Yes. In order for Celestia to make sure that everypony follows with her, she needed to create something that'll go against her and at the same time to conquer. Celestia used her magic to create villainous foes that want to take over Equestria. The elements of Harmony are actually emotions of Celestia. The magic inside though its fake. There some creature she made that are not real. Looks real, feels real but everything is an illusion. It's quite easy to detect an illusion when you don't have a Cutie Mark and allowed the magic our world provides to flow through you. If you don't believe then I'll show you this."

Sotnas disrobed himself showing Twilight that he doesn't have a Cutie Mark at all. Twilight observed Sotnas body. She used her magic to detect a hidden Cutie Mark but there was nothing there. Just a blank flank. Twilight became confused. With the info, she just got from Sotnas. She questioned everything about Equestrian history but she kept her guard up in case he was lying.

"I see you have the motives and the indication that I'm lying to you..."

Twilight was caught off guard a second time. Fear struck her heart.

"How can you tell that I was lying?"

"Easy. Us powerful Unicorns who don't have Cutie Marks can detect somepony from lying by reading their minds. It's a way for us to fix that problem once it started. Celestia hated when somepony reads her mind so she banned that type of magic in her archives. Let me ask you this, can you read my mind?"

Twilight shook her head. She does not know how to read minds the way Sotnas have.

"That is what I thought. There is magic she allows for those to study but the magic that is far advanced, she forbade them to the public. Only those who deemed worthy enough can obtain the magic she hides away. It's quite funny how she seems to be wise but acts cowardly in disguise. Come. There is something I should really show you but, there is something you would have to do."

"What is it Sotnas?"

"You're Cutie Mark will have to be removed temporarily."

Twilight did not like the sound of that one bit. Her Cutie Mark is precious to her but knowledge is an understatement. She couldn't pass up seeing what Sotnas wanted to show her. She thought about it for a few minutes before coming to conclusion.

"If I allow you to remove my Cutie Mark, will you answer all my questions that I have in mind?"

"Of course I will answer them. I will tell you and show you everything that lies ahead. All I need you to do is to make a solemn promise. If you can do that, then all is well between the two of us."

"Of course. I make a solemn promise to never speak of this to anypony." After Twilight made her promise, she bowed down confirming the solemn promise.

"Good. Now I'll remove your Cutie Mark but you will feel a lot different in a matter of moments."

"Why is that?"

"Without a Cutie Mark, you'll feel all the magic in our world coursing through your body at will. Making you feel more powerful than ever. It's always like that for those who seek out for the truth."

Sotnas used his magic to remove Twilight's, Cutie Mark. He then placed it in a spellbinding protection circle. Nopony will be able to get through the circle to make an attempt to steal it. Twilight can already feel a magical surge going through her body. She is feeling a change as her magic lit up brighter than ever. Her mane started to change into a sparkling purplish aura. Her eyes glowed and within a moment, her body changed. Twilight is now the size of Celestia. The size of Sotnas. He is smiling as Twilight became overjoyed by how she looked and how powerful she is. Everything about Sotnas said is true or is it? Twilight began to question and theorize if everything Sotnas said is true or if Sotnas was using his magic for an illusion of his own. Twilight could feel the energy flowing in more ways than another.

"I see somepony is enjoying herself." Sotnas said.

Twilight blushed a little but she was enlightened by how powerful she is without a Cutie Mark.

"Ready to come into the Darkness?"

"Yes, I am," Twilight said. Now gathering her things.

"Good. Follow me."

They trotted into the darker alleyway together. There, Twilight get will have more of her questions answered.