• Published 18th May 2018
  • 1,290 Views, 120 Comments

The Runners - DungeonMiner



Rarity is the leader of a team of Runners, mercenaries that work for the great Megacorps, and they've just taken their most dangerous job yet.

  • ...
5
 120
 1,290

Chapter 24

The insertion job was fairly straightforward.

Marés industries planned on transferring a corp mage to a new location, and the Ringo needed the wrong one to show up. The Ringo, a yellow-coated mare with an ax to grind, already had her own agent picked out. All Rarity and her team had to do was intercept the vehicle she was riding in, switch ponies, and then let business continue.

Straightforward hardly ever means easy.

The escort had a layer of additional security, consisting of two, small, nearly inconspicuous drones. Both were no doubt controlled by a corp rigger, some hundred miles away, with the express purpose of watching the target vehicle to ensure that no tampering occurred. If something did happen, the rigger would trigger the bomb strapped to the vehicle’s undercarriage and kill the VIP, and anyone immediately next to the car.

Both drivers of the VIP were chipped with an RFID signature that changed to a random string of numbers based on one-time-pad encryption, every thirteen seconds. If the drivers’ signals were tampered with, the bomb would explode. If the signals did not match the proper string of numbers at the right times, the bomb would explode. If either signal were separated from the vehicle by a range larger than six meters for longer than ten minutes, the bomb would explode.

The vehicle additionally had a set time-table. They needed to arrive at their destination at exactly 1:05 pm. This meant that, with only a minute’s grace added for stoplights, the vehicle required to be in constant motion, otherwise...well, I’m sure the point’s gotten across by now.

But all of that paled in comparison to one final, insurmountable problem: the mage that the Ringo chose to be the plant.

<><><|><><>

Rarity, Flashpoint, and Steel sat at a Steerbucks, the chosen meeting point of the mage they were to work with.

Honestly, Rarity always hated these places. The bull-emblazoned soycaff shops just seemed to pop up everywhere as sanctuaries for ponies that seemed sure that wearing the same jacket every day was fashion. That, and the actual ponies wearing the vests, annoyed her with talks of records and “old-school” music.

Nevermind that digital offered sound fidelity that a piece of vinyl never could, not to mention the ease of access, portability, and the low-maintenance of a digital file. She sighed and sipped at an overly-expensive iced soycaff, and wondered what kind of professional chose a place like this to meet.

Glancing over the Steel, Rarity could see the street sam wasn’t in a much better position. Although she could probably blend in with a plaid shirt and a different hat, the mare grimaced at everyone who glanced at her. It seemed that her chrome was getting some attention. Most of these ponies had only ever seen cybernetics used as medical prosthetics or fashion statements, and of course, these ponies thought she was making the latter.

The only pony that seemed remotely comfortable of the three was Flashpoint. She occasionally flipped her hoof in the air, turning the page of an AR book that hovered in her glasses, and enjoyed her equally-expensive drink.

Despite her aversion to hipsters, Rarity still couldn’t figure out why their plant wanted to meet here. It was overly crowded, fairly public, and it had no chance of privacy. These were typically things professionals don’t compromise on. The fact that the plant didn’t care either said she was a rookie, or worse yet, she didn’t care.

The second one was obviously the worst, but far rarer in this business than the former. The chances of running into a veteran that didn’t care about keeping a low profile were so incredibly singular that Rarity was sure they were meeting a rookie. Getting the rookie to cooperate wouldn’t be an issue, but she quickly began doubting her Ringo’s skills if she thought a rookie could—

The doors to the Steerbucks blew open, swinging wide as a thunderclap echoed in the sitting area. The ponies in the line turned and gasped, as every other eye in the building turned to the door. An azure blue mare with a cerulean mane floated in by the power of her own magic. She scattered customers left and right as they hit some kind of whirlwind that traveled before her like a shield.

She levitated all the way to the front of the line, and glared down at the mare behind the counter, eyes white with magic. “The Great and Powerful Trixie demands her soycaff blond cappuccino!” she announced, lightning sparking off of her and grounding into the nearby tables and chairs.

The employee didn’t flinch, barely even blinked as she stared back. “Ma’am,” she replied in a deadpan that only someone in food service could master, “we can’t have you cut in line. I’m going to have to ask you to head to the back and wait to be served.”

Rarity took a moment to appreciate how courageous the mare was.

That, or how dead inside.

“Fool!” the unicorn bellowed, still floating. “I, the Great and Powerful Trixie, commands the dead to dance! Trixie is above those mortals behind her, and I, Trixie, demand to be served!”

“You will be served, but these customers were here first. They need to be served first.”

“Do you not know that foul magic at Trixie’s disposal? Trixie shall make your body dance for all eternity to amuse her! I will render your body to ash, and crush your soul to dust!”

“My soul is already dust, ma’am. I need you to go to the back of the line.”

Another bolt of lightning struck the ceiling, arcing back to the door. “Very well, fool!” Trixie shouted, “but know I will have my revenge!”

Without another word, she floated backward, to the back of the line.

Rarity blinked.

“Next,” the Steerbucks employee called, before the stallion that had been in line before this happened slowly crept back to the counter.

The line cautiously reformed, as ponies slowly came forward to place their order, while the “Great and Powerful” Trixie continued to float behind them. Gradually, the line moved forward, as every eye stayed locked on the wizard that had barged in not a minute ago.

Before long, Trixie returned to the counter and smirked as she cried. “Very well, mortal! Your judgment has arrived!” she said a flourish. “The Great and Powerful Trixie demands a blond cappuccino, with extra foam!” she laughed maniacally. The employee took her order before she continued to work, leaving the wizard to hover in the air, before turning to the Runners’ table.

Rarity’s eyes went wide as she realized, too late, that this Trixie maniac was not only their plant but that she was approaching their table, with literally everpony in the store still staring at her.

Steel made the first move to scatter, as the only thing worse than having bullets fly to you was to have attention come your way. Flashpoint, always a fast study, was second to move, leaving Rarity still so aghast at her, to be the only one left to talk to.

“So I understand you need the Great and Powerful Trixie’s help?” the mare asked, now hovering close enough that Rarity could see the matching necklace and bracelet she wore. The beads were shaped like pony skulls, and Rarity could swear they belonged in one of those stores that specifically cater to teens that thought death looked cool.

Rarity blinked, still not entirely sure that the current situation was real.

“Trixie is aware of the effect she has on ponies,” she added with a smirk.

Rarity blinked again, mouth open before her face flushed red, and her blood began to boil. “You...you…”

Trixie misread the blood rushing to Rarity’s face. “Oh, don’t worry, dear. There’s no need to be shy.”

It took more self-control than Rarity thought she had to keep her from decking this mare in the face. Still, when Trixie continued to smile, face miraculously un-punched, she decided she would at least try to salvage the meet-up.

“We need to discuss this in a more private location,” Rarity hissed.

Trixie smiled. “Certainly, but we are waiting on Trixie’s drink.”

“Blond cappuccino, extra foam, for Dixie?” the pony behind the counter called. “Drink for the ‘Great and Powerful Dixie!’”

<><><|><><>

After minutes of insisting that the drink wasn't hers because her name hadn't been called, Rarity finally managed to get Trixie into a nearby alleyway. Here, they hoped prying eyes wouldn't notice them.

Trixie, as she called herself, introduced herself as an incredibly powerful necromancer. It seemed her parents lucked out during the Awakening. Her father had been a stage magician working in Las Pegasus, and her mother was a dancer.

That was about as far as she got before Rarity asked her why she was sharing her entire backstory.

“You asked,” Trixie replied.

“I asked you what your specialty is,” Rarity said, “raising bodies was as far as you needed to go!”

Trixie shrugged, before sipping her drink. She grimaced as she pulled the cup away. “Are you sure this is Trixie’s drink? It doesn’t seem right.”

“Okay,” Rarity said as she tried to gather herself. “We need to get this mare into Marés Industries, with multiple levels of redundancy, and the only thing she brings to the table is making zombies and good genes.”

“Trixie resents that remark! Trixie is a powerful mage, she can destroy any foe before her.”

“The problem isn’t destroying one’s foes, darling, it’s getting you in,” Rarity said with a sigh. “Do you at least have a SIN you can use?”

“You mean the chip Ms. Ringo gave me?” she said, before fishing out a small plastic chip.

Rarity checked it with a trained eye, and an AR scan to reveal that it was a solid fake. It definitely fooled her initial scan. She guessed it had to be good enough to trick a corporate reader unless the Ringo wanted Trixie to die.

“Okay, at least we have that.”

“So,” Trixie said. “What is the plan?”

Rarity sighed. “We were hoping that you had skills we could use. Unfortunately, it seems that we’ll have to try this on our own.”

Trixie frowned. “Trixie suspects that you’re calling her useless.”

“Never,” Rarity replied.

Trixie’s eyes narrowed. “The Great and Powerful Trixie will allow this.”

“Why do you insist on having an identity that talks about itself in the third person?” Flashpoint asked.

“Oh, this is no identity, Trixie refuses to let her name be hidden.”

All three Runners could feel their eyes boggle. Even Flashpoint knew by now that using her real name could bring swift and painful death to those she loved. All three of them took a step back, as though bad luck was a sickness they could catch.

“Well, that’s...lovely, dear,” Rarity said, trying to scoot away slightly further away. “Now that we know you have the SIN you need, we’re going to...uh...iron out the rest of the details!” she said.

Trixie glanced between the three. “Trixie supposes that this plan works best. The less I know, the more plausible deniability, yes?”

“Sure,” Rarity replied.

Trixie nodded. “Wonderful, here is Trixie’s number. Let me know when the Run starts.”

“Will do!” Rarity replied.

As the mage left, the others slowly watched her go before turning to each other.

“Is she out of her dang mind?” Steel asked.

“I know!” Rarity said.

“She is asking to be kidnapped,” Flashpoint said. “Or shot.”

“I know!”

“I have no idea how she’s still alive.”

“I know!”

The three runners stood silently for a few seconds.

“She’s going to be a pain to work with.”

“I know…” Rarity said, resigned.

<><><|><><>

The plan was coming together. With Web leading the legwork, bringing it to her unique brand of paranoid standards, the team quickly began to get a handle on what they needed to do.

The biggest problem was the enemy rigger. The current plan was to fry the drones, and hopefully, the rigger's brain while they made the switch, but that did leave the chance of the Marés' ponies becoming suspicious. They could try and blackout the drones for a minute. Still, if they were pulling out this much effort to move their VIP, then at the very least, the rigger would reach out to the drivers, which interfered with the other component of the plan.

Using magic, Web would put the drivers in a stupor. Candy, using all of her skill as a rigger, would hijack the escort vehicle to keep it moving while the drivers were out. Meanwhile, Steel would take the wheel to the van, and keep themselves from getting into an accident.

From there, with Web holding the drivers, Candy holding the van, and Rarity holding or destroying the drones, Flashpoint and Wingmare would both get Trixie onto the other side.

This was, obviously, the most crucial part of the job. It also had the highest potential for going wrong. Going from one moving vehicle to another was dangerous enough a stunt to constitute its presence in enough trid movies to nearly be a trope on its own. Not to mention any of the real-life dangers of doing it where any number of ponies could see, sudden traffic problems, or who knows what else. If Candy could take the mental strain, she'd probably try to drive both vehicles. Still, considering she'd have to hack into the escort vehicle, to begin with, her whole focus needed to be on the enemy.

Of course, just getting Trixie across was only half the battle. From there, Wingmare and Flashpoint both needed to get the VIP out. With no knowledge as to the mage’s attitude or power level, her response to the extraction was unknown. At best, she’d believe she was being saved, would leap out of the car, arms wide, and would gladly be dropped off at the nearest street corner to begin her new life.

Worst case scenario, well, worst case Flashpoint and Wingmare would need to scrub the car clean while it’s moving.

Even then, it was no guarantee. The VIP had to be a powerful mage if Marés was pulling out these kinds of countermeasures. If she didn't want to be extracted, that meant that a firefight was going to break out, full of hoof-waving and spell-slinging, which was going to be on a moving vehicle, just for that extra level of complexity.

It wasn't the most challenging Run Rarity ever made, but it was fighting tooth and nail to be placed.

The timer on the escort was still ticking down. They only had a day to iron out the problems when Wingmare casually reminded her that they needed to bring Trixie up to date.

With a groan, they called her up and brought her up to speed.

<><><|><><>

The van rumbled down the back streets of the Sprawl, just outside of Canterlot proper. The vibrant, towering skyline provided more than ample shade for the apartment buildings forever caught in the shadows. Candy drove in circles, waiting for the escort vehicle to get on the highway, much like a shark, circling for prey in the shallows.

“What are we waiting for again?” Trixie asked.

“The escort vehicle, Trixie,” Flashpoint replied with a sigh. “It’s supposed to come by here, and we’re going to pull up next to it.”

“And that’s the one where Trixie is supposed to jump on?”

“Yes,” Flashpoint said for the third time.

“Then why aren’t we following it?” Trixie asked, staring at her comm’s face, not even pretending to pay attention to the ponies around her by using AR glasses.

“Because it’s not here yet…” Flashpoint said, almost hoping that Wingmare would punch her unconscious.

“Then why are you bothering Trixie about it?”

Flashpoint, the poor patient mare, hadn’t blown up in her face about how Trixie was the one to ask the question in the first place. Considering it was the third time, and everypony else in the van was starting to hope that someone would punch their plant in the face, she was managing very well.

As silence took over the van once more, Rarity checked her various programs running in the background of her PAN, deck cradled in her lap. Honestly, now that the others knew, she didn’t technically need it, but the familiar weight of it felt nice. Besides, how was she going to explain to any other deckers they run in to? Still, it did mean she was free to use sprites now.

What basically amounted to data elementals shot through the Matrix at her order, scouring streams of data for any sign of the drone. Each one moving in perfect synchronization with her will. She could feel the Matrix warp around her, obeying her whims and desires. It felt so liberating to use those virtual muscles.

A sprite returned with news.

“A drone and vehicle pair matching the description of the target is heading this way,” Rarity said. “I’m marking it on all AR HUDs.”

“That’s our cue, ponies!” Steel said, standing in the back of the van. “Up and at’em!”

Candy slid into the passenger seat, and Steel took the wheel. “You’ve started making a way in for me, Gem?” Candy asked.

“Once we have visual confirmation,” she replied. “It won’t take me long.”

“Are we starting now?” Trixie asked.

“Yes, we’re starting now,” Flashpoint said.

“About time,” she replied before slipping her comm away.

Steel pulled the van up the onramp, and slipped onto the highway, pulling right up next to an armored Humvee. A quick look confirmed everything they needed to know, and Rarity began. Targeting the drone herself, she quickly sent in a sprite to start opening the channels that Candy required to take control. “This is the one, ladies! Get ready to move!”

Wingmare, Flashpoint, and Trixie all moved to the sliding side door of the van, and Web prepared her stupor spell. Candy readied herself, waiting to immediately jump into the vehicle as soon as Rarity gave the word.

Rarity reached out and felt the drone. With a couple of quick keystrokes, the technomancer marked it, made it "hers," and locked the rigger in the drone. "Go!"

The side door opened, and Web cast her spell. Candy shot her consciousness over to the other vehicle.

Flashpoint, Wingmare, and Trixie all leaped across the road, onto the humvee. The pegasus clawed the door open, and the three slipped inside.

Rarity kept the rigger trapped, cutting off all communication even as he sent emergency text after text to someone. He already tried blowing up the vehicle three times, but with her Sprites on the job of intercepting those messages, Rarity was sure nothing was getting through. She hoped that she could keep him down until the escort vehicle was delivered, but the chances of that were slim at best. This rigger was a fighter and was trying everything he could to get out.

Twilight levitated a mare back into the van, a sack over her head, while Wingmare yelled over the wind rushing past. “No, you gotta put a bag over your head! They’ll notice!”

They argued a second longer, but Rarity knew she couldn’t wait any longer. She quickly began to type in the kill command.

Wingmare flew back into the van. “We gotta go!”

The side door shut closed, Rarity sent the signal, and Web cut her spell, just in time for Steel to take the next offramp, and drive the van away.

Candy popped back in her body. “They didn’t notice. We’re clear.”

“The rigger’s dead. The corp’s going to know about it soon, but we’re good for now,” Rarity said.

“Alright, let’s drop off the VIP, and meet up with Ringo.”

“Alright, ma’am, where do you want to—” Flashpoint pulled the sack off of the mare’s head, revealing light gray coat and a purple and gray mane that matched.

Both mares blinked at each other, before Flashpoint said, shocked beyond words. “Mom?”