• Published 19th May 2018
  • 5,067 Views, 673 Comments

Pokémon: Harmony and Chaos - Banshee531



Welcome to the Equestria Region, a land of Pokémon. Here, one young boy will begin his quest to become the greatest Pokémon Trainer ever known. With his partner Springer, he'll make new friends, rivals, and enemies on this brand new adventure.

  • ...
6
 673
 5,067

PreviousChapters Next
A Rocky Gym Battle

The day of Flash's third Equestria Region Gym challenge had arrived. Today, Flash will be challenging Maud for the chance to win the coveted Geode Badge.

"Aura Sphere, Water Gun and Energy Ball!" Flash ordered as Springer, Riptide and Prongs fired their attacks at several large rocks, shattering them to pieces.

Off to the side, Flash's friends watched while Twilight threw him a towel, "Looking good Flash."

Flash caught the towel and used it to clean his brow, "Thanks Twi." He held the towel down to his Pokémon, the three using it to wash off their sweat.

Spike looked over the three. "So...are they the Pokémon you're gonna use?"

"Yup. Pinkie told me last night that Maud uses three Pokémon, so these are my picks."

Doc nodded at this. "They should give you a fair advantage."

Hearing this made Flash frown. "Yeah....but I don't know if that's enough."

Twilight blinked at this, tilting her head, "What do you mean?"

"Maud said she opened this Gym squarely so she could show off how strong Rock-Types were, especially against types they're meant to be weak against. It just feels like using them is playing into her hands."

"Maybe..." Twilight placed a hand on his shoulder, "But its still a better option then using Viper and Skyler. Especially Skyler, as Flying-Types are super weak to Rock-Types."

"Yeah...you're right." He looked up at the Pie family estate. "Although...I wonder where my opponent is?"

"Or Pinkie?" Spike added.


Pinkie was skipping through the Rock-Type habitat, knowing exactly where her sister was. Maud had a pre-battle ritual, where she would climb to the top of the highest boulder there and look out at the sanctuary. There, she would remember all the beauty of Rock-Types and what she fought to prove.

"There you are," she said as she looked up at Maud. Her sister was sitting with crossed legs, staring out at the many Rock-Types her family protected. "Hey Maud, are you excited? Because I'm excited! I'M SO EXCITED!" Despite her sister's stoic gaze, Pinkie could tell she was looking forward to the battle. "Come on sis, Flash is gonna get bored waiting for you."

"You make a good point." Maud stood up and stepped off the rock, her face unchanged as she fell about fifteen feet, landing without issue. "We should hurry."

"Yay!" Pinkie cheered as she began skipping back to the house, Maud slowly walking behind her.

It wasn't long until they got back to the house, now seeing both friends and family waiting. Flash had returned Riptide and Prongs, and was now standing firmly. "Good morning," she told her challenger.

"Hey there. You ready for this?"

"I am. Shall we begin?"

Spike looked around. "What, here?"

"No, you idiot," Limestone barked from the side. "We have a field close by. That's where they'll battle."

The others nodded and Twilight said, "then lead the way."

The Pies all nodded and began walking through their land on autopilot, the rest following as they soon arrived outside a large hanger like building. There, Maud unlocked it and gestured them to follow, "Here we are. Come inside please."

"Huh." Spike glanced up at it, "Not a lot to look at...."

Flash shook his head, remembering what Maud had said the previous day. "Sometimes you need to look underneath something's surface to see it's true beauty." The others gave Flash a startled look while the Pies all nodded, Maud even showing a tiny smile as she saw her words from yesterday already sinking in.

"Besides, I like to think of the whole reserve as my Gym. This is just the battlefield, along with a shelter the Pokémon can use when it's raining."

The others nodded as they stepped into the hanger, the lights switching on to illuminate the battlefield. This field was similar to Doc's Gym field, being a dirt field with podiums on either side. The only difference was that it had large rocks scattered around the place, making it the perfect field for Rock-Types. Off to the side was an elevated platform, where the spectators could sit and watch without worry of being hit by stray attacks of debris. As the others looked around, Maud walked out to the center of the field before spinning around. Her eyes were now burning with the same fiery determination from yesterday. "Welcome, to the Baltimare City Gym. I, the Gym Leader, will accept any challengers."

Flash stepped up to her, crossing both his arms as he replied, "I, Flash Sentry, hereby challenge you to a battle."

Maud nodded before moving over to her podium, Flash and Springer jumping up onto his while the others walked up to the viewing platform. The only one who didn't was Limestone, who moved over to the opposite side of the field, where she got onto a smaller platform.

Once on it, she slammed her fists and yelled, "Alright! Listen up, because I'm not in the mood to repeat myself! The battle between the challenger Flash Sentry, and Maud, the Gym Leader, will now begin! Both sides are allowed three Pokémon, and the battle will end when all three of either sides' Pokémon are unable to battle. By the way, only the challenger may be allowed to substitute Pokémon." She glanced at the two, "You two got that?!"

They both nodded as Maud pulled out a Pokeball. "Rock Pokémon have been on this earth for millions of years. In that time, they have taken many different forms. And one of those forms, is a way to counter even the Pokémon it is weak against. Allow me to show you...Torpeller, let's rock!" She tossed the Pokeball into the air, soon revealing a tortoise Pokémon with a shell.

"Tor," it spoke as its propeller spun and lifted it into the air.

"A Torpeller..." Flash thought back to when he'd met Rainbow Dash, remembering the loss he had against her's.

"This is bad," Twilight commented.

Spike looked up at her in confusion. "Why?"

Doc turned to him. "Torpeller is part Flying-Type, which has an advantage against Fighting, Grass and Bug-Types."

Spike's eyes went wide. "But that means Springer and Prongs are at a disadvantage."

"Indeed," Igneous added. "Maud knew many trainers would bring those types, so she acquired a Pokémon she could use against them."

Cloudy Quartz nodded at this. "Your friend won't find this battle as easy as he'd hoped."

"Mm-hmm," Marble finished.

Back on the ground, Flash stared up at the Torpeller. "Who cares about type match ups. It's still a Rock-Type, even if it's not as weak as others." He pulled out his Pokeball. "Riptide, I choose you!" He tossed the sphere, releasing the red light that took shape of a certain water lizard.

"Ak!" Riptide roared as it looked up at its opponent, the two soon glaring at each other.

Limestone glanced at the two teams. "Are both sides ready?" The two nodded, "Then battle...BEGIN!"

No sooner had she said that, Flash yelled, "Water Gun!"

"Ak...wana!" The water lizard shot out a burst of water. But before the blast could hit the tortoise, it spun its propellers even faster and flew out of the water jet's projection, with Riptide spinning around to follow it. The Water Gun then blasted the wall, forcing the audience to all duck as the water shot over their heads.

"Hey!" Twilight cried.

"Watch it!" Spike yelled down at Flash.

"Terra!"

"Oops," Flash tugged at his collar before telling Riptide to cut the water. "It's too fast to hit with a focused attack. We'll just have to use a move it can't dodge. Echoed Voice!"

"Ak," Riptide breathed in, "WANA!" The soundwaves filled the gym, making everyone cover their ears. The only one who couldn't was, fortunately for Riptide, its opponent.

"Tor!" it flinched, its propellers slowing down while losing altitude.

"Gotcha. Rock Smash!" Riptide stopped screaming and leapt up, his fist glowing.

"Withdraw!" Torpeller curled into its shell, which glowed white a second before Riptide smashed his fist into it. The blow knocked it back, only for the propellers to start spinning to stop the flying Pokémon. There, it popped its head back out, completely unharmed from the blow.

"What the...what gives?!"

"She's trying to boost her defences," Doc yelled out. "If she keeps that up, none of your psychical attacks will be of any use!"

Flash growled at this, pointing at the tortoise. "Then we'll knock it out before its defenses get too high. Water Gun!" Riptide once again unleashed a high pressured stream of water.

"Gust!" Torpeller pointed its propeller towards the water and increased its speed, creating a powerful burst of wind which repelled the Water Gun. Everyone watched as the water rained down, wetting everything except its intended target. "Now, Rock Tomb!" Torpeller's shell glowed before shooting out a bunch of rocks, all falling to earth like a barrage of meteors.

"Rock Smash!" Both Riptide's fists glowed before he started thrusting them upward, shattering any rock that came for him. But the amount was far greater than he could keep up with, only to him for them to suddenly overwhelm and bury the lizard.

"Aquana!" He cried as more rocks collided with him, trapping him below.

"Riptide!" Flash yelled as the others watched in horror.

Maud looked up at Torpeller. "Excellent work Torpeller." She looked down at the Rock Tomb, "Will your Aquana be able to escape?"

Flash glared at her. "Of course he will. Riptide, Water Gun!" Maud raised an eyebrow at this, only to see the rocks start to shake. Water soon whizzed out of the tiny holes it made, until the whole thing suddenly broke apart, the rocks flying everywhere from the blast.

Torpeller's eyes went wide as it saw several coming its way, but was able to outmaneuver them. The others remained focused on the remains of the Rock Tomb, where Riptide stood panting. "Nice work bud," Flash praised while getting a thumbs up from the Aquana.

"Don't pat yourself on the back just yet. Use Slam!"

Riptide turned to where Torpeller had last been, only to see he wasn't there. The sounds of spinning propellers clued him, making him spin around, "Ak? Wana!" He yelped as the tortoise shell smashed into him, Aquana falling back with a thud.

"This is bad," Flash pulled out his Pokeball. "Riptide, take a rest." He returned Riptide before smiling at the Pokeball. "You did great. Don't worry, you'll get another shot later." He put the ball away as he looked down at Springer, "Ready bud?"

"Ri!" Springer nodded.

Flash nodded back. "We need speed more than power right now, which is what you've got in spades. Springer, I choose you!" The Riolu leapt off the podium and onto the battlefield, taking a battle stance as the Torpeller landed in front of him.

Limestone nodded. "Torpeller verses Riolu. Battle...begin!"

"Springer, use Quick Attack!"

"Riolu!" Springer zoomed ahead at blinding speed, his target being Torpeller's front.

"Withdraw!" Torpeller curled into its shell, which glowed white a second before Springer reached it.

"Ri!" He spun around, using all his gathered speed to slam his tail into Torpeller. The attack made the shell slide back several feet, but Torpeller popped his head out again, still showing to be unharmed.

"It's raising its defences again," Twilight mumbled in worry. "I hope Flash can keep up."

"That shell's pretty tough," Spike looked up at Doc. "How's he gonna get through it?"

Doc smiled back. "Luckily, he has a move that can hurt Torpeller even with its shell."

"Drain Punch!" Springer's fist glowed green as he attacked again, Torpeller not having enough time to do more then curl back into its shell. The blow struck, sucking energy out of Torpeller's body.

"Sweet!" Spike cheered.

"Terra!"

"Go Flash!" Pinkie cried.

Twilight smiled, happy Flash was thinking ahead when he switched out Riptide. "Flash might not be able to hurt Torpeller, but he can wear it out."

"Drain Punch, again!" Springer's glowing fist came back, ready to strike.

"We don't fall for the same trick twice. Use Gust!" Torpeller pointed its propeller at Springer before spinning it, creating a tunnel of wind, stopping the Riolu in his tracks.

"Ri!" Springer moaned as he was pushed back.

"Now Slam!" Torpeller stopped spinning his blade, making Springer wobble as he lost his balance. He then pointed it up and spun it to take off. When Springer finally regained his balance, he found a tortoise shell flying straight at him, bum-rushing him at full speed.

"Ri..." Springer staggered back as Torpeller flew back into the air.

"Aura Sphere!" Everyone watched as Springer created his signature blue energy ball before tossing it into the air, Torpeller not fast enough to react as it struck, exploding on contact.

"Tor!" It cried as it flew out of control, falling to the ground before regaining composure.

"Drain Punch!" Springer leapt at the now lowered opponent as his fist glowed, punching the tortoise with an uppercut.

"Rock Tomb!" As Torpeller was sent back into the air, his shell started to glow before shooting out a bunch of rocks. Once again, they fell to earth like a barrage of meteors in hope of burying Springer.

"Dodge using Quick Attack!" Springer ran across the battlefield, dodging every piece of rubble with ease. Torpeller's eyes went wide as he saw the Riolu easily evade his attacks, only to hop on one rock and ran up it like a ramp. There, he leapt up at the tortoise, his fist pulled back.

"Drain Punch/Withdraw!" The two Pokémon did as ordered, Torpeller curling into its shell seconds before Springer punched it. Though the attack made contact, Torpeller didn't move thanks to his hardened shell. However, he could feel the Drain Punch suck his energy away like a vampire.

And as Springer fell back to earth, Maud pointed at the Riolu, "Slam!" The shell began to fly at Springer, who saw it coming but had no way of dodging midair. Instead, he crossed his arms and braced himself for impact.

"Riolu!" The shell drove Springer into the ground, Torpeller flying back up to safety as the Riolu hit the dirt.

"Now, Rock Tomb!" Torpeller's shell once again glowed.

Springer looked up, only to feel he was in the shade. There, he saw a hail of rocks flying at him. "Double Team!" He heard Flash cry out.

Maud then saw the rocks crash into the ground, kicking up a ton of dust that blinded everyone. "Torpeller, blow it away." Torpeller flew down, his down draft clearing the dust away. In doing so, he saw what had happened to his opponent. Springer, all one hundred of him, was standing, sitting and leaning against the rocks that had been thrown at him.

"Tor?!" he yelped at the sight, Maud also showing slight confusion in her eyes.

"Aura Sphere, Barrage!" The Springer army each created a tiny Aura Sphere before charging, rushing into the center where Torpeller was standing. Some even leapt into the air, cutting off his escape.

"Gust!" Torpeller spun its rotor and unleashed another stream of high powered winds, which spread up and outwards. As the wind made contact with the Springers, they were all swept out of existence. The ones in the air had nowhere to hide, but the ones on the ground had all lined up to act as shields.

And as each wave of Springers was destroyed, the next wave got a little closer to Torpeller. Then, when the final wave got close enough to strike, Torpeller put everything it had into blowing them away, increasing the force of its Gust. "Tor!" With one final push, the last of the Springers were blasted back. He then started to pant, now seeing that only one Springer remained. That is, till it disappeared as well. "Tor?"

"What?"

"Where's Springer?" Pinkie asked, the rest of her family all blinked at the sight of no Riolu. Twilight and the others all smiled at this, having come to expect this kind of thing from Flash and Springer.

Flash smirked at Maud and Torpeller's confusion. "Alright bud, rest's over. Quick Attack!" From out of nowhere shot Springer, the Riolu had been hiding in a small gap between a few of the rocks.

"Ri!" Springer reached the Torpeller and smashed his tail into his head, making it slide back.

"Tor!" Torpeller flinched as he started spinning his propeller, barely lifting himself into the air.

"Aura Clap!" Flash ordered, confusing everyone until they saw Springer create a pair of Aura Spheres that he then smashed together. Doing so caused an explosion, which unleashed a powerful shockwave. The shockwave flew up and hit Torpeller, making him and his propellers wobble.

"Withdraw!" Torpeller curled back into its shell, trying to regain control.

Flash saw Torpeller was low enough for Springer to reach, making him nod. "Let's finish this with Drain Punch!" Springer ran up to a nearby rock, using it as a springboard that launched him as his fist glowed green.

"Rio-" Springer came to a stop just above Torpeller, "LU!" He thrusted the fist downward, smashing into the top of Torpeller's shell and sending it rocketing back to earth. With a mighty crash, it smashed into the ground, creating a crater as it did.

And as the dust settled and Springer landed in front of Flash, everyone looked down to see Torpeller laying on the ground with swirls in its eyes.

"Torpeller is unable to battle," Limestone announced. "Riolu is the winner."

"Yes!" Flash exclaimed as he and Springer high fived.

"One down!" Spike cheered.

Twilight nodded at this. "Let's hope he can keep us his momentum."

"That all depends on Maud's next Pokémon," Doc added.

The Pies turned to them. "Do not count my daughter out of his battle yet," Cloudy Quartz replied.

Igneous nodded, "The true challenge begins now."

Maud held out her Pokeball and returned Torpeller, smiling at the ball, "You did excellent my friend." She looked up at Flash, "You truly are a strong trainer."

Flash shined a huge cheeky smile, "Thanks!"

Maud swapped her Pokeballs out. "Now let us see how you fair against the oldest Rock-Type that lives at this sanctuary. Stegolate, let's rock!"

She tossed the ball into the air, releasing a blast of red energy that soon hit the ground. The Pokémon revealed was an orange stegosaurus like creature that stood on two legs. It's lower mouth and stomach were light orange while the rest of its body was a dark orange. It had three sets of stone plate like spikes coming out of its back, starting at its shoulder blades before working their way down. It had a similar plate like spike on its forehead, with the end of its tail having a pair of cone-like stone spikes. "Steg!" It cried.

Flash pulled out his Pokedex, "Stegolate?"

Name: Stegolate
Category: Spine Pokémon
Type: Rock
Info: Dying out over 155 million years ago, Stegolates use the spines on their backs to radiate their temperature.

"So it was revived from a fossil?" Twilight guessed.

"Incredible...." Doc added.

"Talk about a blast from the past," Spike finished. "Hope Flash is up for it."

Flash looked down at Springer, seeing him slightly pant. "Hey bud, come take a break." Springer nodded and returned to the podium, Flash now pulling out his last Pokeball. "Prongs, I choose you!" He tossed the ball into the air, releasing the Thawn.

"Fay!" Prongs cried as he readied himself for battle.

"Are both trainers ready?" They nodded. "Then battle...BEGIN!"

"Tackle!" Prongs ran at the Pokémon at full speed.

"Slam!" Stegolate did likewise, charging at Prongs. And when the two crashed, the revived Pokémon proved stronger, his body slam pushing Prongs back. "Now use Spikes!" The spines on Stegolate's back glowed before a barrage of lights shot into the sky, only to arch down before striking the ground. But as this happened, Prongs, who was picking himself up, was completely fine.

"There's a move with my name?" Spike asked while blinking.

"Yes," Twilight nodded with a gulp, "and it'll be trouble."

Igneous turned to him. "While Spikes may not hurt your friend's Thawn, if he switches out, that Pokémon will be injured."

"So Flash needs to be careful when rotating his team," Doc finished.

"Energy Ball!" Prongs opened his mouth while the green energy swirled into a sphere, the ball now launching at Stegolate.

"Ancient Power," Maud ordered.

"Steg," Stegolate's whole body glowed, that light soon flying off before spiraling into a sphere in front of it. Said sphere then slammed into the Energy Ball, exploding soon after.

"Slam!" Stegolate charged through the smoke, flying out the other side and ramming into Prongs.

"Fey!" He flinched as he staggered back.

"Leech Seed!" Prong's horns glowed before firing a pair of green beams shot out, striking Stegolate and wrapping him up in the energy draining vines.

"Late!" It cried as its power was then drained.

"Now, Double Kick!" Prongs spun around next, thrusting his hooves into Stegolate's gut. The blow made it slide back as the Leech Seed once again drained his energy.

Maud then pointed at the Thawn, "Flame Burst!" Stegolate launched a fireball out of its mouth, which rocketed across the field and struck Prongs in the chest.

"Fey!" He cried as the flames burned him.

"Not good," Flash murmured.

Spike moaned at the sight, "That thing knows a Fire-Type move?!"

Twilight nodded. "She must have taught it that to deal with Grass and Steel-Types. Flash needs to switch out."

Doc shook his head. "If he does that, he'll be at the mercy of the Spikes."

"Energy Ball!" Flash ordered, Prongs launching the sphere at Stegolate.

"Ancient Power!" Stegolate created his own sphere attack, firing it at the sphere again. And as an explosion of dust followed, Maud yelled another order, "Slam!" The prehistoric Pokémon charged through the smoke, but when it came out, it found no target.

"Fey!" Stegolate looked up and saw Prongs had jumped up in the air, completely out of Stegolate's reach.

"Energy Ball!" The sphere of green energy shot down at Stegolate, who already knew what it was gonna be told next.

"Flame Burst!" The fireball shot out of its mouth, striking the Energy Ball before exploding. The smoke consumed Prongs, the heat burning him.

"Double Kick!" As Prongs came out of the heat, he spun around to smash his back hooves into Stegolate, the added force from the fall increasing its power.

Stegolate staggered back as it clutched its head, only for the Leech Seed to flare up again, draining more energy. "Ancient Power!"

And as Prongs landed, he suddenly found a transparent rock flying at him. "Dodge it!" Prongs leapt to the side, hopping onto one of the rocks as the Ancient Power exploded, the shockwaves knocking it off balance. There, the deer fell as Stegolate rushed up to it.

"Flame Burst!" Prongs suddenly found a fireball coming close, exploding as it sent the Pokémon flying.

"Steg," Stegolate smiled, only to then flinch from the Leech Seed, "LATE!" It started panting, feeling itself drawing to its limit.

"This battle's getting intense," Spike commented.

"But I doubt it'll last much longer," Doc added.

Twilight shook her head, "Come on Flash....you need to find a way to pull ahead."

Flash crouched down to look at Prongs, "You okay." Prongs panted as he picked himself up, slowly nodding. "Alright. Then we'd better keep at a distance and let that Leech Seed do the rest. Dash!"

Prongs ran at the Stegolate, its hooves blazing the ground. "Slam!" The revived Pokémon ran as well, the two getting closer and closer. Then when they were inches away from each other, Prongs sidestepped Stegolate, jumping to a safe distance. "Flame Burst!" Stegolate spun and fired a barrage of fireballs, which Prongs jumped from side to side to avoid.

But as this happened, those fireballs instead struck the rocks around them, exploding and super-heating the rubble. Waves of heat began to fill the gym, causing everyone to now feel the heat. The one most affected by this was Prongs, the hot air making him slower while Stegolate was hardly flinching. Then it happened, as another Flame Burst struck Prongs dead center.

"Fay!" He cried as he was knocked into one of the melted rocks, the heat from both overwhelming him.

"Prongs!" Flash yelled as he watched his Thawn jump away, staggering to a stop as Stegolate watched.

"Fay...on," Prongs entire body flinched before collapsing, his eyes becoming swirls.

Stegolate smiled at this, only for another burst of pain to fill him while the last of his energy was drained. The others watched as Stegolate fell forward, swirls replacing his eyes as well. Limestone looked them over and nodded, "both Stegolate and Thawn are unable to battle. This match is a draw!"

Everyone released a breath they hadn't realized they had been holding. "Talk about a tough battle," Pinkie commented.

Twilight nodded at this. "Flash was lucky to pull off a tie."

"So what now?" Spike asked next.

Doc stared down at the field. "Now its down to Maud having only one Pokémon, while Flash has two."

Igneous was also staring at the field. "Your friend does not have as much of an advantage as you think. Both his remaining Pokémon have battled and are exhausted, while my daughter's last and most powerful Pokémon has yet to do battle."

"He's right," Twilight replied in agreement. "Flash still needs to be careful."

Both Flash and Maud returned their Pokémon, thanking them before switching their Pokeballs. Maud then glared at Flash, "Flash, you have proven yourself to be a worthy challenger."

"Thanks," Flash replied.

"However," she enlarged the Pokeball, "that does not mean I am willing to give you the badge yet. You must first overcome my best Pokémon. Spikorn, lets rock!" Flash watched as the ball flew into the air before unleashing the rock beetle.

"Spike...corn!" It swiped its large horn through the air, ready for battle.

Flash looked around the field and spotted all the melted rocks, the sight making his decision. "Alright Riptide, I choose you!" He tossed the ball, once again unleashing the Aquana.

"Ak!" Riptide cheered as he landed on the ground, only to suddenly find it exploding beneath him. "AQUANA!" He cried through the pain.

"What just happened?!" Spike yelped.

"The Spikes," Twilight explained with crossed arms. "Remember, they damage any new Pokémon that enters the battle."

"Flash can't swap out willy nilly," Doc finished.

"Are both trainers ready?" Limestone asked, getting a nod from the two. "Then battle...BEGIN!"

"Use Water Gun on the rocks!" Riptide began firing the water jets at the rocks, cooling them down while creating a flurry of steam.

"Rock Polish!" The blue lightning surrounded Spikorn, which made Flash frown.

"Raising her speed already, huh? Not good...." He pointed at Riptide, "Use Water Gun again!"

"Ak...wana!" Riptide launched the stream of water at Spikorn, the rock beetle just barely managing to dodge the attack. That is, till it sniped his shoulder.

"Corn!" It hissed, as it came to a stop from his dodge.

"Rock Polish again." The blue lightning reappeared, Spikorn growing faster and faster with each use.

"Another Water Gun!" Another burst of water flew towards Spikorn, but this time it jumped over it without issue. "Not good, it's getting too fast!"

"Rock Rush!" The second Spikorn landed, it became a blur that phased in and out of sight all around the battle field. Riptide's eyes tried to keep up with it, only to be suddenly body checked by Spikorn.

"Ak!" He cried as he fell back, the Spikorn retreating back to a safe distance.

"Echoed Voice!" Flash ordered as Riptide jumped back to his feet, unleashing his high powered screech. With no way to protect its ears, Spikorn was unable to block it out, suffering from the vocal attack. "Now, Rock Smash!"

"Wana!" Riptide ran at Spikorn as his fist started to glow.

"Dodge it!" Maud ordered, but Spikorn didn't hear her due to the ringing in its ears. As such, it opened its eyes to a glowing fist smashing its side.

"Corn!"

"Now Water Gun!" Spikorn looked up at Riptide and saw it jump up before unleashing the water. Only this time, it was a single burst of water that rocketed at Spikorn like a bullet.

"Spike!" It leapt back just in time to avoid the water, only for Riptide to shoot several more bullets, forcing it to continue dodging. And as Riptide landed on one of the elevated rocks, he fired a long stream of water that followed after Spikorn.

"Rock Rush!" Spikorn disappeared in a blur, Riptide unable to see the vanishing beetle.

"Corn!" Spikorn appeared at the base of the rock before slamming its horn into Riptide, sending him flying off the rock.

"Wana!" He cried as he flew through the air.

"Now Double-Edge!" Before Riptide could react, Spikorn suddenly rammed itself into the lizard again, the blow knocking both with damage, though double for Riptide.

"Riptide!" Flash cried out as his Aquana landed with a thud. "You okay?"

"Ri, ri?" Springer asked as well.

"That Double-Edge must have hurt," Spike guessed.

Twilight nodded in agreement, "It's a very strong move, though it isn't without its recoil to Spikorn. Flash, you have to recall Riptide!"

"But the Spikes," her brother reminded her.

"He'll have to risk it," Doc replied.

"Rock Polish!" They then heard Maud announce, making them look to see Spikorn surround itself with blue lightning.

"She's increasing her speed again. I think she's hoping to end this one a super charged Rock Rush." Doc turned to Flash, "Switch out before it gets too fast!"

Flash frowned at the sight. "It's true Springer is faster than Riptide, but he's been able to keep up..." he said to himself as he took out the Pokeball. But as he did this, he saw something. The spots where Riptide's Water Gun had struck on the battlefield, the water was gone, but the ground was still wet. "Wait...that's it!" Flash yelled as he put his Pokeball away, "Use Water Gun Riptide!"

"What's he doing?" Spike asked, "Spikorn's too fast."

Twilight gulped at this. "He has to have a plan."

"Let's hope," Doc agreed while the others just watched.

Riptide did as instructed and began firing his Water Gun. "Dodge it!" Spikorn's increased speed allowed him to dodge the water jets with no issue, but Riptide continued to fire the stream of water after it. Soon enough the entire field had been soaked, making Flash smirk.

"That's it! Keep it up!"

Maud blinked at this. "What's he up too?"

But her answer came when Spikorn landed on a previously doused part of the field...and slipped. "Spike!" It yelped as it lost its footing, falling over with its quick speed. The very motion allowed Riptide's Water Gun to catch up and strike. "CORN!"

Spike's face lit up. "He did it!"

"How?" Pinkie asked as Twilight stared at the battlefield, directly glaring at Spikorn. There, she smirked as she saw what Flash's plan was.

"Mud....that was his plan! He made the field into a mud marsh!" Twilight exclaimed as they all stared at her. She then pointed at the battlefield, "He wasn't trying to hit Spikorn with that Water Gun, he was trying to soak up the ground!" Doc and the rest of the Pies then caught on as Twilight concluded, "It doesn't matter how fast Spikorn is if it can't get a stable footing."

Maud blinked again, unable to believe she hadn't caught on. "Clever. Very clever."

"Thanks," Flash smiled as Riptide leapt up onto one of the rocks. "Water Gun again!"

"AQUANA!" The water shot at Spikorn again, the rock beetle trying to pick itself up. But it was useless, its legs slipping on all of the mud.

"Up onto the rocks!" Maud ordered, Spikorn then gripping one of the boulders it passed. It tried to climb up the rock, but no sooner was it halfway up, the mud on its body made it slide back to the ground. "Oh no."

Riptide leapt up onto the rock that Spikorn had tried to climb, smiling down at the Rock-Type. "Water Gun!" The Aquana took a massive breath before shooting the Water Gun, striking Spikorn and sending it sliding backwards into another rock, which made it actually slide up it into the air. "Let's finish this. Rock Smash!"

"Ak!" Riptide crouched down as his fist glowed, "WANA!" He leapt into the air, smashing into Spikorn as gravity regained a grasp on the rock beetle.

"SPIKORN!" Maud's ace cried out as it flew through the air, smashing into the muddied ground while Riptide landed on a rock in front of Flash.

Everyone turned to Spikorn and watched as it rolled over to reveal spirals in its eyes. "Spikorn is unable to battle, Riptide wins. All of Maud's Pokémon are unable to battle, so the winner is Flash!"

"YES!" Flash exclaimed as both Springer and Riptide cheered.

"He did it!" Spike and Pinkie added while Peewee flew around cheering.

"That was brilliant," Twilight clapped.

"He used Maud's own strategy against her," Doc agreed while clapping as well.

The rest of the Pie family had to agree, all clapping while Pinkie shot out confetti from her hair. As for Maud, she returned her Pokémon, smiling at the ball. "You did very well. Thank you."

At the same time, Flash was now hugging both Riptide and Springer. "We did it guys! We actually did it!"

"Ri/Ak!" the two nodded in agreement.

"You two were amazing," he pulled out his Pokeball. "And so was Prongs."

The others came down onto the field, Twilight patting him on the shoulder. "Great work Flash. That last technique was genius."

"Indeed. It's nice to see you haven't lost that dramatic flare." Doc added as Flash smiled at the praise, happy he was able to pull this off.


A little later...

Everyone was now outside the gym, Maud and Flash standing opposite of one another as Springer, Riptide and Prongs stood beside their trainer. "Well Flash, you have proven you have the strength to overcome any wall you come across." Maud reached into her pocket and pulled a round badge that had a gray outline with a sparkly crystal design on the inside. "And so I'm happy to award you with this: proof that you won here at the Baltimare City Gym. The Geode Badge."

Flash smiled as he took the badge, then held it up for all to see. "Alright, I just won...THE GEODE BADGE!"

"RIOLU/AQUANA/THAWN!"

Everyone clapped at this, "Congratulations Flash."

"Three down and five to go!" Spike added.

Flash smiled as he pulled out his badge case and placed the badge in alongside his Gear and Swarm Badge. He couldn't express how good it felt seeing them together before turning to the others, "Alright guys, where to next?"

Twilight pulled out her journal and looked through the mapping section, frowning at what she found. "We might have a problem. There aren't any gyms around here. The closest one we haven't been to is miles away."

"That could be a problem," Doc added.

"If I might make a suggestion," Igneous spoke up. "There is a town not far from here that is having its year's Flying-Type battle tournament next week. If you are looking for something to do while you're deciding what to do, I would recommend going there. You have three Flying-Types, maybe more, that could compete."

Flash turned to the others, "What do you think?"

Spike shrugged. "Beats wandering around aimlessly."

"I'm game," Doc agreed. "It'd be good for me and Steeledge."

"And it sounds like fun," Twilight replied before looking at Pinkie.

Pinkie then shined a sorrowful smile. "Sorry guys, but I'm gonna be sticking around here."

"You are?" Spike asked next.

Pinkie nodded at this. "Sure...at least for a little while. I haven't been home in a long time, so only staying two days feels unfair. I'll stay a few more days, then head back out onto the road."

"Well, if you're sure."

"I am," Pinkie's smile brightened. "But I know you guys will do great in that tournament!"

And so, Flash's Baltimare City Gym challenge ends in a victory. Now having obtained the coveted Geode Badge, he and his friends set their sights on their next big challenge.

Author's Note:

And so Flash earned his third badge. Hope you enjoyed the battle, I particularly liked Riptide getting to take down Maud's ace.


Pokemon

Name: Stegolate
Design: Stegosaurus
Name: Stego and plate
Pronounced: Steg-o-late

PreviousChapters Next