• Published 8th May 2018
  • 5,699 Views, 172 Comments

Twilight's Terrifying Traps - Graglithan The Greater



When Twilight's friends all snuck through the portal to confront their counterparts, she decided to lay some traps for her friends when they got back.

  • ...
6
 172
 5,699

A Dashing Decoration

Twilight was having a beautiful day. She got to spend some free time down at the local Hayburger, the weather was perfect the entire time, and she even got the last of her recent batch of paperwork done in record time! Sure, over the past few weeks, Rainbow Dash had been rather persistent in looking at a particular interdimensional portal that was located in her study, but Twilight had made sure there were several contingency plans to keep her out. One of which, a replica of the mirror, she’d gotten a replacement for on her way back, as the fast-flying pegasus had already crashed through the first replica, thanks to some clever wordplay on her part.

Such a positive chain of events that in no way shape or form could foretell disaster made her want to talk to her friends and see how their days were going. She would be bothering Starlight instead, as she usually was in the same building as her, but the poor mare was down with the flu and needed the rest. So, she thought a walk through the town would let her see if any of her friends were free to chat.

That was before she’d spent the past half hour looking around the town for her friends, only to be surprised when she couldn’t find them all anywhere.

“I wonder where everypony went. This is really strange, even for Ponyville.” Trotting into her castle and heading upstairs for her study, Twilight noticed little things that were off. A decoration askew here, a carpet tilted there, but nothing overly significant to concern her at first. It was likely that it was just Spike cleaning up the long hallway.

She could have sworn she finally caved to Celestia telling her to hire a few maids and give Spike a break. It indeed threw her research schedules for a loop that’s for sure, and her cut of the sovereign funds more than paid for it.

So why did she feel like something was amiss in her home?

When she entered her study, she soon figured out that very reason. On the far side of the room, was the crystal mirror portal to the human world and her friend Sunset Shimmer. On the pedestal, just in case Sunset ever decided to come home for any reason, or she needed assistance over there, sat the journal Twilight used as both a means of communication and as a key to open the gateway.

The portal being on at all and her having not traveled through said portal clued Twilight in rather heavily on what just transpired in her home. The small collection of cyan feathers and the assorted colors of hairs also helped.

“Oh, you have got to be kidding me. I stepped away for half an hour!” Levitating a fake portal to rest against the wall, the lavender princess stared at the real one and rubbed her head. Twilight’s mind was abuzz with what she possibly would have to do to clean up what possible messes would arise from her friend being so bull-headed. She pulled the journal off of its pedestal for a split second, transcribing the spell to an additional book to make what she planned possible. It was a jerry-rigged patchwork of magecraft, yes, but she was both stressed in a way only someone that dealt with insanity every week for over a year could be, and just needed to send a few messages at most, hopefully. With the original back where it was, the portal reopened, and with the copy, she could write to Sunset freely as she waited for her friend to get back.

It was only a few minutes before she got her wish, as Rainbow started to come back through the portal and stumbled slightly. The prismatic mare thought she was safe at first. To her, Twilight was just writing something down in a random journal, the portal was undisturbed, and the lavender mare had her back to her, apparently unaware of how awesomely she slipped back through.

Those thoughts ended the moment Twilight closed the journal. “Welcome back, Rainbow.”

A block of ice landed in Rainbow’s stomach as the Princess of Friendship turned around in her seat. “Uh... hehe, heya Twilight.” The prismatic mare was sweating and grinning nervously as the alicorn sat in front of her friend completely unamused, and an irritated frown on her face. “Just, uh, thought I’d make sure the portal was working and all that. Just a quick in and out, no time on the other side at all. I know how much this thing means to you and we wouldn’t want Sunset getting trapped on the other side again!”

“Rainbow.” Twilight’s tone was deathly calm as she stood “I have been staring at this portal, for fifteen minutes. Something I started doing, the moment I learned you had traveled through it. Something I expressly forbid absolutely anypony from doing, unless given royal approval beforehoof. Something you’ve been trying to do so often, that the replica I made is now completely destroyed from your projectile launch at it when Spike activated the lights on it.” Her eyes narrowed as she walked forward and raised an eyebrow. “That being said, care to explain why Sunset just wrote to me about how her world’s Rainbow Dash now has a large bruise from the kick you delivered to her?

The cyan mare turned a lovely shade of sky blue as she chuckled uneasily. “What? Wow, that sounds, uh, horrible. Is that a cloud? Oh, I just rememberedit’ssupposedtobeasunnydaybye-!”

Rainbow made it to the window before she found her tail caught in a rosy pink aura. “Oh, no you don’t.” Twilight’s still calm voice was betrayed by the sight of smoke trailing up from the tips of her mane and wings. “Please, explain.” Rainbow’s eyes darted this way and that, trying to find some escape from the wrath of Twilight as she was pulled closer to the growing inferno hidden in that lavender shell. The weather mare thought her saving grace had come when the door opened.

Only for Spike to walk in, munching on some fire rubies. “Hey Rainbow. Are the other’s back yet?”

Rainbow could only stare in mute horror as Twilight’s head could be heard by anyone in the room; creaking when she turned to look at Spike. “What?”

Spike looked between the two mares for a moment before raising an eyebrow. “Uh... bad time?”

“One second Spike.” Twilight zapped Rainbow with her magic and set her down. Try as she might, Rainbow soon found herself completely immobilized from the neck down, and unable to flee the purple princess’s wrath. At that moment, Spike hid his remaining fire rubies in a nearby flower pot. The princess herself walked up to Spike and looked at him with a smile. “Spike, what do you mean by, Rainbow and the others?

Spike just shrugged. “The girls all came over and said you’d given them the okay to use the portal, so I turned it on for ‘em.”

Twilight blinked, taking a deep breath and slowly releasing it before looking at the frozen flier again. “Rainbow, how many of our friends crossed over?”

Sweating bullets, Rainbow tried to laugh it off. “Heh heh. About that. Uh. Well uh, I-I don’t know exactly how many. But-”

“How. Many. Rainbow.” Twilight walked forward, each step punctuating one of her words until she was looming over her friend.

In her credit, the prismatic mare made an impressive impression of her pet tortoise when it came to pulling her head into her immobilized body to hide from the impending doom she faced. “A-all of them?”

A small flame danced at the tips of Twilight’s mane. It didn’t seem to climb up the strands of hair, but it still was dangerously close to her fur. The princess did nothing to either of them, as she slowly walked back to her desk, and opened the journal.

Still frozen, Rainbow tried to shuffle her weight with her neck to scoot herself to the door. “Well, it’s been fun Twilight, but I really need to g-”

A hair popped out of place from Twilight’s mane, a second flame dancing upon it. “Oh, you’re not going anywhere.” Twilight finished her message turned sharply to her friend and smiled. “Once everypony is back, we’re all having a very long conversation about why you don’t abuse interdimensional travel.” Trotting away from her friend, Twilight opened a supply closet that was filled with a surprising assortment of items. “But first, I need to vent all of this stress I suddenly seem to have had productively piled on my shoulders by my wonderful friends!”

Unable to flee, Rainbow was forced to watch as Twilight began constructing what could possibly be the most vengeful set of traps possible.

It was going to be a long day for all of them.