• Published 4th May 2018
  • 1,634 Views, 21 Comments

Six Discoveries - Wiz Ahmad



The students at the School of Friendship sneak out on an adventure, and discover some interesting items.

  • ...
0
 21
 1,634

Ocellus and Sandbar find an Ambulance and a Kayak

Ocellus flew further than anyone else, beyond the pathways that Smolder and Gallus had taken, deep into the forest beyond. Her rationale was that the most valuable objects would be hidden furthest from civilization. Whoever sent mysterious objects from another world could be wanting to keep them secret from others in their world. If so, it would only stand by reason that they’d hide it in the depths of the woods.

Sticking to the western edge of the forest, she scanned the trees below, looking for any signs of damage or disruption. It wasn’t long before she noticed a row of broken trees and a pointed corner of… something.

Right away, Ocellus dove down and slipped through a gap in the branches, landing neatly in a patch of leaf litter.

Peering around a birch tree, she took in the sight of the object she’d noticed earlier from above. It lurked in between the bushes and trees just a few meters away, its large, box-like bulk towering over six feet high. Unsure if it was alive or not, Ocellus pressed herself up against the tree and waited, listening attentively for the slightest sound or jolt. After five excruciating minutes, nothing came.

Peering around again, she noticed nothing had changed from her first glance at it minutes earlier. Whatever this object was, it was rock steady and wouldn’t budge. Feeling a little bolder, Ocellus crept closer and examined it, though still from a distance. Bit by bit, she took note of details she could recognize from the various classes she was enrolled in.

Wheels - six of them, four at the rear, two at the front. Bright lights all around, though no apparent way of operating them externally. Doors. Handles. And bright white paint with blue striping, along with…

“A health symbol?” Ocellus wondered aloud, observing the snake-wrapped-around-a-staff. “Is… is this a miniature hospital?”

Curious and braver than before, she rubbed a hoof along its sides, leaving a dark mark of dirt and soil on her hoof, right before it hit a rough spot that emitted a crinkle sound.

“What the?” Surprised and inquisitive, Ocellus peered down at the uneven part of the surface. It was a clear bag containing a set of keys, taped onto the bodywork.

So that’s how to enter, she thought. With a quick rip from her teeth, she tore the bag open, causing the keychain to fall to the ground with a loud jingle. Smirking at the realization of her powers, Ocellus morphed into the form of a dragon, similar to Smolder, but taller and slightly leaner. Now she had hands with fingers and feet. Reaching down, she picked up the set of keys and examined them. There were five, each looking different from the other, with the largest being black and thick, with some fancy silver letters that spelt out a word.

“F… I think, O, is that R? And… D.”

“Ford. Interesting name. Might want to look into it later when I get back to the school.”

It didn’t take more than a minute for Ocellus to notice the door’s keyhole. She pushed the key in and turned it. The door unlocked with a click. Grasping the door handle, she pulled it open and stepped inside.

“Whoa,” she breathed, taking in all the sights. Before her lay a steering wheel, pedals, and a lever of sorts. Spread across the top of the steering wheel lay an assortment of gauges with different numbers and symbols on them. And to the right, neatly arranged in rows, were a load of switches and buttons. In a compartment beside the seat lay a book and some papers. Always an eager and studious reader, she pulled out the book. On its front was an image of the object and a title in big bold letters:

2008 FORD E450 DIESEL HORTON TYPE III AMBULANCE

OWNERS MANUAL

With a pleasure-filled smile, Ocellus shut the door, slouched back in the driver’s seat and began to read.


Further west, Sandbar was prancing happily through a field, having somehow been caught up in chasing butterflies. It wasn’t the most masculine of antics for a colt like him, but it was enjoyable anyways. Soon he got very close and pounced on the little yellow insect - only to find his leg at the edge of a steep muddy bank.

“Oh! Whoa - oh no!” he yelped, slipping and tumbling down the bank, landing in a hard bed of mud-caked rocks.

“Ungh, do… not… shace, butterflies again,” Sandbar groaned, his head spinning from the impact of the fall. His hooves stung from the impact and shook a little. After regaining his bearings, a long, slender frame caught his eye.

“Huh? What’s a kayak doing here, all alone? I’ve heard about these little boats but… I’ve never seen one. Cool.”

Brushing the mud off his beach-colored coat, Sandbar limped forward and examined the boat, stroking its hull and gently turning it over to observe its design. The seat had an enclosed fabric stretching over it with an elastic.

Wonder what that’s for, he pondered. Fiddling with it, he soon discovered how to loosen and tighten it. Sitting amongst the wave-washed rocks, nearer to the river, lay a thin black stick with two white rounded ends. The beaming sun gave the little colt a firm reminder that it was almost lunch time, and that school was still in session.

“I’ve got to get back before Twilight finds out!” he thought worriedly, turning towards the bank. But a brief glance at the river gave him an idea. If this river runs all the way back to the school, why not just simply travel down the river instead? With luck, it may even be faster.

Eager smiles all around, Sandbar pushed the kayak to the river’s edge, wriggled into the seat, tightened the skirt, and grabbed the double-paddled stick. Pushing off with a hoof, he began rowing, starting the long-overdue journey back to school.

Author's Note:

And that's it for the Student Six and their respective discoveries. How will they learn to use and handle these new objects? And how will Twilight Sparkle and the other school faculty react? How will each student react to what the others have found?

STAY TUNED FOR MORE!!

P.S.: Here's the ambulance that Ocellus discovered: