• Published 3rd May 2018
  • 3,889 Views, 71 Comments

Adepta Sororitas: The Tale of Canoness Sunset Shimmer - ratedoni



Long ago, Sunset Shimmer left her world behind, now she returns as member of Adepta Sororitas, a warrior that burns the heretic in the name of the Emperor; will she save Equestria or doom them all?

  • ...
18
 71
 3,889

Bellum

Every single hall, every single window and every single banner was placed with utmost perfection and care. Every single worker in the castle, from the lowest messenger and maid to the guard and bureaucrats, also members of court - which had no power and the title was a holdover of the all-unicorn monarchy - were all working tirelessly in the center of pony nation, the heart of the biggest nation in the planet. This was Canterlot Castle and it was the home, the blood and the soul of all ponykind. This was the castle that had been built around the sun and her tireless vigil on her little ponies, which Celestia had hated at the time since she felt they were mocking the memory of Princess Luna, but by the time of the descendants of those that had lived the days of the diarchy, well, they simply saw it as the only home of their eternal sun.

Sunset completely hated the place no matter how beautiful it had been made. That was something that had remained the same since she was a little filly. Seriously, who thought that a place filled with antiques and precious artifacts could be a good place to raise a filly? Not that there was much of raising really, what with Princess Celestia treating their learning sessions more like a chore to be repeated ad nauseam.

The truth is that beyond the early days of Sunset’s mentoring days with Princess Celestia, she completely hated the placed. Oh, she had heard about how lucky she was of growing up in the castle, completely surrounded by luxury and bathing in the glory that was Princess Celestia’s light day in and day out. The truth was that she felt more like a dog whose only job was to look presentable to the multiple idiots that called themselves nobles to let them see how well groomed and trained she was, as if to make them see how great Princess Celestia was for taking care of an ugly, dirty orphan and turning her into a productive member of society.

Sunset have had to fight back the urge to use her bolter to place rounds on the middle of every single noble’s head the first meeting she had with Celestia since her return. The feeling hasn’t diminished since then and she was sure that sooner or later Sunset or any of her sisters will gladly re-enact the siege of Silver Shield Castle back at Miamat.

It was probably bizarre to think of a night when Sunset and the rest of her order had helped massacre a whole royal family with nostalgia, but considering their duty as protectors of the true faith and Emperor’s light, well, it could be worse. Besides, the old bastard deserved it after he thought that the Sun of Eternity Order were whores being sent by the neighboring kingdom as a peace offer. Sunset was sad that the man had brutally committed suicide by stabbing himself in the back 40 times and then cut his own head. What a tragedy.

Yes, time had done its job with Sunset Shimmer, alongside the many years she spent under the tutelage of educators like Sister Marian of the Order of the Jubilant Lotus, the order where the Sun of Eternity had come from. The woman was a zealot of the first order, like all Sororitas that had reached her rank among the sisters, but she was also ruthless and efficient, traits that she hammered on Sunset’s head. In a way, even accounting the torture that many around the Imperium could count as ‘training’, the woman was the closest thing Sunset Shimmer had as a true mother. She was ruthless, but strangely comforting, always with sagely advice, but who never hid behind a mask of intrigues and half lies.

But those were simply happy memories. Well, if memories of brutally stomping on monarchies and wannabe conquerors could be called happy in any way, although considering the dimension in which Sunset had been, those were at least tame in comparison with the rest. Now, Sunset Shimmer had to do another job, that of mediator and military adviser in the best way to fight back chaos. Of course, that is if these creatures were indeed chaos and not some kind of crazy, ancient ritual Sombra had prepared in advance. Emperor knows what kind of diabolical things King Sombra had prepared in case of his defeat. The stairs and the enchanted door back at the Crystal Kingdom were proof that the stallion was mad but smart at the same time.

Following the stern royal aide, Sunset entered the prepared room behind Raven, the rest of the guards staying besides the door. Her entourage stood at the ready behind Sunset, knowing full well that the redheaded Sororitas was more than capable of defending herself. The young Felicia, meanwhile, tried to remain as stoic as the Sisters, but only managed to look uncomfortable among members of a species that barely reached her waist.

The young guard, with her rather inconspicuous lasgun at her side, the perennial weapon amongst the guard legions, - jokingly referred to as a flashlight - Felicia wasn’t quite sure what to do or where to stand, until Sunset turned and saw both Chroma and Siivet standing alongside the unicorn guards. At first sight one would be amazed at the kind of stoicism shown by both sides, but Sunset knew that if any of the two sides tried to talk with the other, problems would arise. Sadly, Felicia, finding the whole situation unusual to say the least, ended up accompanying Sunset into the room, quickly trying to find a place where she could stand up and do… guard things I suppose.

The Canoness simply rolled her eyes, a signature reaction of her after years of having to deal with strange situations and even stranger people around her. She left the guard to her antics, knowing full well that she could be useful, if for nothing else than for a sounding board. She was also a member of the Imperial Guard, a woman that would fight and die for the emperor and the planets that made the Imperium, in a couple of hours after reaching the battlefield, but she will fight.

Standing tall behind Sunset Shimmer, she may have looked like any other guard currently residing in their ship or on their developing camp/settlement on the badlands border, but for these ponies, creatures that have never seen the Astra Militarum, the uniform, the equipment and most importantly, the lasgun on her arms would be impressive, just like Sunset’s power armor and blessed bolter at her side.

The lasgun may not be the most powerful of weapons on the field, but its reliability, easy transportation, ammo and repair made it perfect for mass production in the endless pits of metal and fire that made up the domains of the Mechanicus. The planets that made up the bulk of the red robed members of the Mechanicus were technological wonders of the imperium where day in and day out new creations were created and perfected, where ships and weapons that were the backbone of the greatest army in the galaxy were assembled and shipped to the countless battlefields around.

Planet Equus may be a paradise world, a peaceful place that knew nothing about true war and terror, where the creatures living in it knew anything about struggled beyond indecision about what to eat that morning. They knew nothing about the dangers of space and Felicia, as green as she was in terms of combat experience, was better than all of them in that regard. She alone was better trained, better equipped and better used than all of Equestria’s army combined. That’s the reason why she brought her, beyond the fact it was fun to make her squirm due to her nerves.

As they got inside the room, Sunset also had to fight back a snarl due to how stupid everything looked, with walls beautifully decorated in relics of battles past, that no pony alive with the exception of the older princesses even knew about. There were maps of the old days of Equestria, even one that showed the older lands, of the time before the unification, when Equestria was nothing more than warring tribes and towns ready to pounce on each other ready to tear their guts out. Sunset also saw a couple of helmets carefully placed inside a crystal pedestal. They were made out of bronze it seemed, with no ornaments on them except for the brush on top of it. They were old pegasi helmets, from beyond the unification. They probably belonged to Hurricane and Pansy, but who knows with Celestia.

All of these artifacts were mere shadows of what Equestria once was, before the age of the Alicorns and the days of prosperity. Well, seems like those days were finally over since this was not a social visit and instead, everyone reunited here was ready to talk about something much more fun and something that Sunset was more than used to - the complete elimination of the enemy.

In the Canoness’ opinion, the place looked a little too gaudy and in need of better trophies and artifacts. Maybe the head of a long since dead enemy of Equestria or the banners of important legions of the past? But no, let us remember instead how glorious peace is and how better we are for being cute tiny little ponies. Completely wrong reasons to make a room like this if you decided to cut back on your own army. What was it good for? To remember the good old days? Knowing how much Celestia preferred attacking cakes than monsters and demons there was no question that she did as an altar for peace instead of extermination of the dark forces. Well, it seems it came back to bite her in the flank.

Inside the room and calmly discussing the current crisis were the high members of Canterlot Court, a bunch of parasitic beings that were known for lying on soft cushions while draining the gold out of Equestria’s vaults in superfluous objects and vices. They were the most useless branch of the government when Sunset used to live in Equestria and she didn’t expect ponies that were mere decorations and remnants of a long gone age of monarchy that still refused to be vanquished from the halls of Canterlot to be of any real use.

They were leeches that lived out of the taxes on the humble farmer and shopkeeper. If she were left in charge of justice on this planet, she would round up the Guards and do a couple of public mass executions of the so called nobles. Well, probably not, but she has seen that happening and for what she have heard, it really reduced expenses and increased the tithe to the Emperor as if by magic. Not that Sunset would lose a lot of time convincing her troops to do something like that in here.

Shaking her head a little bit at the idea of mass destruction, she had to concentrate once more into what was important right now, instead of calling forth the training and conditioning that she had fought back for most of her life. It was hard, to be a defender of the Emperor and the Imperium and still keep that part of her that had been pony. It was that part which allowed her to become what she was. It helped her think and analyze battles and challenges instead of running into the fray like many others. With what had been happening and if it was true that the planet was about to be engulfed into a chaos Black Crusade, then she needed that part even more. Once she was back in control of herself, Sunset took a look at those that had been reunited by Princess Celestia.

Sunset could recognize two of the four present royals around the round table. The Sororitas recognized them for their out of place clothes in a military meeting, what with the gold linings and high collars, the attitude and the sneer present at all times. Of the two she knew, Pearl Collar was probably the one that seemed to have a working brain underneath that mountain she called hair.

The hairdo is a symbol of her family of sorts, from the time of powdered wigs, but instead of being an accessory, members of the Collar line had adopted the hair as their most striking method of recognition inside the clan, with only the highest members being allowed to have their hair done in that particular way. But, Sunset knew that she was effective, cunning and completely ruthless with those that tried to hurt her family and she didn’t expect that part of her to disappear suddenly.

The other, well, he was a member of the Blueblood family and that in itself was a little bit of a toss-up really. Some Bluebloods had been known for their intrigues inside the Court while others were complete drooling morons. There was really no middle ground with the family and the member that had come to the reunion was Mister Blueblood Sr., also known as ‘The True Blood’, a man that had taken their family and had pulled them screaming and whining into the modern age, what with him being the main advocate of train usage for not only travelling, but as method of quickly connecting Equestria’s territory. The stallion was definitely a great business pony and someone with an eye in the future.

Of the other two, well, one had a monocle on his eye and seemed calm and collected with his blue hair and white coat perfectly groomed and with a very classy suit instead of the more garish selections from the others. The last one, well, she was a mystery really and Sunset had never seen the pony before, but if she was here then she must be important in Canterlot.

From the others, Sunset quickly figured out that they were generals of the three different branches of the army. For all of Celestia’s talk of unification of the three tribes and every single book about Heart Warming, Equestria still divided their main forces into the three tribes. The Air Force was of course completely comprised of pegasi, since apparently Equestria still didn’t have a very reliable ship construction to create their own air force branch, unlike the other nations in the planet. The leader of the Wonderbolts, Spitfire, was as fiery as her own name, with her hair making it look as if it was always on fire.

At her side, was the Loremaster, the highest ranking on the Warlock Forces, comprised entirely of unicorns and guided by the perennial Lord Ether Ring with his runic engraved robes and looking as ancient as Sunset remembered. He was a stubborn pony that had dedicated his whole life to the creation of battle worthy spells, which apparently now would be put to the test.

The last member of the military was the General of the Ground Forces, Iron Duke, a mountain of a pony, tall and proud, a pony that saw very little action and that for the most part was known to shout and shout to the guards and their captains, but by the look on his face, he was raring to go into the fray. Sunset just hoped that he was ready to face the true reality of war instead of simply being another glory seeker.

Besides them, in the room and at the head of the table, were four ponies that just by looking at the made something inside Sunset reignite, a part of her that Sunset had thought had been completely squashed with the ruthless training and regime that she had been given for decades. Now, looking at the perfect looking princesses - holding court if you will - made Sunset want to snarl in disgust. It was not only her old hate for alicornhood, but also the part of her that was Sororitas that fought against anything that called themselves royalty and had nothing to do with the Emperor of Mankind.

There were the two sisters, proud and tall, Celestia and Luna, the two sides of a whole, darkness and light together at last. Sunset didn’t have much problem with Luna and Celestia, beyond the whole fact that they called themselves princesses and were, you know, filthy xenos that deserved to be burned into cinder and offered to the eternal flame burning in honor of the Emperor. Nothing major.

At their side, there was a weary and exhausted looking Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, and while her eyes still showed the strength of her heart and stubbornness, it was clear that her close encounter with darkness had shaken her to the core. Not to mention that she was probably worried about her husband and the ponies still trapped on the living nightmare that the Crystal Kingdom have probably become by now.

It was the last one, the pony that looked so out of place, with papers and graphs floating around her, with her body exuding stress and who seemed one step away from an anxiety attack. She had heard of her of course, even from back when the pony Sunset Shimmer was still alive. Even now, with her return to Equestria, Sunset had to make that clarification in her head, that the pony was dead and only the Canoness was alive. So she knew very well, that this purple small pony, still untested, still naïve and pure, was one that would be killed immediately if she ever stepped into a real battlefield and Sunset had half a mind to do it right now.

This was what Princess Celestia had replaced her with? This was the mare that had in the end become the perfect little student of the Princess of the Sun? Sunset Shimmer wasn’t sure if she should laugh or cry, not only finding the small purple pony completely out of place, but pathetic in how small she looked, how completely out of place she seemed to be alongside those that were supposed to be her equals. Twilight Sparkle was a mockery to everything the pony Sunset wished to accomplish.

Canoness Sunset Shimmer merely chuckled at how low Equestria must have fallen to take a pony like Twilight and ascend her to the highest honor Equestria had, that of the ruler class of the nation. Still, if that was what Celestia preferred, to have simpering lap dogs that will forever see her as perfect, then so be it.

“We all know why you were summoned this day,” the melodious voice of Princess Celestia started this rather unique reunion, with all previous talk and sound stopping as she began what could probably be the first war council in millennia on Equestria. The Canoness could recite the times Equestria as a whole had gone to war, which fit on one of her hands if she used her fingers. But ponykind as a whole, well, for being a race that had evolved from herbivores and natural prey of basically everything else in the planet, they certainly liked to kill, maul and rape each other before the unification of the tribes.

“I believe it has something to do with what happened on the frozen lands, correct?” the noble pony that Sunset didn’t know the name of spoke first. Her voice was deep and smooth, as if the woman had been born to be a speaker or a singer. Now that Sunset looked at her, the mare did not have the normal air of haughtiness, but instead she held herself with an air of confidence so big that it wouldn’t be a surprise that it intimidated many on the streets and made them run away in fear. She was wearing small glasses that perched on her snout, intelligent eyes that seemed to shine with intelligence and was simply wearing a cravat of the deepest red. Finally, her hair and its color made Sunset think of her sisters of the Order of the Ebon Chalice, due to the noble pony having white pure hair in the most traditional page cut hairstyle of the Sororitas.

“Ebon Chalice is correct, this has to do with the return of Princess Cadence and the ponies that had been displaced from their home in the North,” Wait, what? What did Celestia said? Blinking a couple of times, Sunset cursed internally the fact that from where she was standing she wasn’t capable of seeing the cutie mark of the mare that had spoken.

Seriously? Her name was truly Ebon Chalice? This was bizarre, but what part of the last couple of weeks had not been weird? “I’m afraid that the Crystal Kingdom has fallen at the hands of King Sombra.” At the mention of the name several ponies, those that have heard of that mythical figure reacted with gasps of surprise, which meant that only Ether Ring, Blueblood and Ebon Chalice reacted. The rest simply looked at Celestia with no clue of who she was referring to.

“Before my own fall into the darkness,” a voice continued, this one being the night princess herself, “the Crystal Kingdom was being controlled by a dark sorcerer, the aforementioned Sombra. My sister and I were able to defeat him a millennia ago, but the cunning unicorn had kept safeguards, sending the kingdom a thousand years into the future, when he was finally vanquished by the power of the Crystal Heart, or so we thought,” the princess said, being succinct and clear with her explanation of the ancient history, although, not so ancient for them.

Sunset had never heard of a spell that could do something like that, basically take a whole city and catapult it a thousand years in the future, at least while she had been living in Equestria. But as a Adepta Sororitas, she knew of the dangerous powers of the warp, the plane where impossible became reality and that was home to millions of demons and chaos slaves. The powers of the warp were still mostly undiscovered, but they all knew that the reshaping of space and time were not an uncommon effect of using the energy of that plane.

To make a whole city disappear and appear again? It could be hard to make, but a Demonic Princess or a Primarch? Sure, it could have been done by creatures of their power level.
“When my friends and I helped the crystal ponies remember their past and their traditions, they all united to create a blast powerful enough to shatter the physical form of Sombra; I’m still not quite sure how he could have come back from that,” the studious form of Princess Twilight Sparkle said to those present in the council, but Sunset Shimmer could only roll her eyes.

“Did any of you made sure that Sombra was dead?” Those were the first words Sunset had uttered since entering the room and every pony focused their eyes on tall biped with the resplendent armor and sword on her left side.

“Well, no. I mean, he exploded as if he had been made out of rock, or crystals I suppose, probably a side effect of the way in which he had recovered a physical form.” Okay, that sounded interesting to the side of Sunset that was a researcher. But for now, she was the Canoness, the one responsible for hundreds of lives, maybe even thousands in a battlefield, and she was in need of answers.

“So by your own words, Sombra exploded into several pieces.” At the nod from the princesses, Sunset continued, ready to start the lessons about war 101. “Did any of you try to recover those pieces? After all, aren’t we talking about a pony that was able to not only propel the whole kingdom a millennia into the future, but also survive without a physical body?” Princess Twilight Sparkle raised a hoof into the air as if she was about to answer, but after a second she winced. “By your reaction I will say no, none of you thought of that. That means that there is a very good chance that Sombra could very well survive once more and found some way to create a new body.” Sunset Shimmer was ready to really start her tirade into the foolishness that was leaving dark powers free just because you had destroyed the body. As if just shooting a demon once was enough to cleanse the world of their rotten presence.

“Be it as it may, the fact is that Sombra not only came back, but he did not do it alone,” Celestia interrupted Sunset, knowing full well that once she had her fangs on a prey she was not going to leave it alone. She had been ready to make a whole rant about the proper ways in which to destroy a body entirely. The pages then that had been on Twilight’s magical hold as well as those that Raven had were quickly grabbed by Celestia, who then deposited them on the table. The drawings and reports then completely filled the heavy marble table and the map on the surface couldn’t be seen.

Sunset saw the images first, drawings done only by memory of those that had been able to survive and she knew what she was seeing. Those were bodies, manipulated and tainted by the energies that were found in the Warp. The ponies that they have been time ago didn’t exist. They was gone, their souls consumed by the shadows and the whispers that crawled through their minds and flesh.

Faces disfigured, bodies mangled and transformed into nightmares; blades, mouths and eyes were they shouldn’t exist. Canoness Sunset Shimmer didn’t need the drawings colored to know the color of their skin visible now that the fur had fallen or had been pulled apart by the ponies as they died and were reshaped by the will of chaos. After all, she was no stranger to the effects that the warp had on the material realm.

As the images were seen by everyone, she could hear gasps of surprise from nobles, all except Ebon Chalice, who stood looking at the monsters, not in fear, but disgust, as if they were an affront to her more than a monster to be feared.

“I know this may not be the enemy most of us have experience dealing with, but if these ponies had been affected by a new spell from King Sombra, then we need to be prepared if he decides to attack Equestria too,” Princess Celestia said, calling the attention of the members of the army.

“Equestria hasn’t dealt with something like this in a long time your Highness,” Iron Duke quickly answered back, taking one of the drawings on his hoof, studying it. Maybe to find a weakness on his next enemy? Sunset wasn’t sure. “We mostly deal with bands of minotaurs, slaving Diamond Dogs or the rare group of raiders in our borders, but to fight those that had been our brothers? That is something else.”

“Do we have any idea of how many of these, well, creatures King Sombra has to his disposition?” Ether continued now that they had a slight idea of what they were dealing with.

“None whatsoever. The reports that we have from the guards that survived the initial encounter with them does not mention an idea of how many ponies were transformed, but we do know that the guards were quickly overrun, some say that the monsters acted more like a wave than a charge. With that in mind, we must keep in mind that the initial forces at King Sombra’s control can be in the hundreds,” Yes, at the initial attack, he had hundreds, but by now those could be thousands if they had access to a warp rift or used necromancy to bring those killed into the action, now as mindless members of Sombra’s army.

“Are we sure Sombra will attack? I thought that in the past, he was content with only taking control of the Crystal Kingdom.” Blueblood was not trying to defend Sombra. After all, this was not the first time she had seen someone taking the role of the Nemesis Advocate in Equestria, somepony who tried to look in the other perspective to bring new ideas and thoughts into an important matter.
“Well, he was defeated by Princess Twilight and her friends. I’m not sure he will simply forgive and forget,” the fiery headed leader of the Wonderbolts fired back with her thoughts on the matter and Sunset knew where she was coming from, since megalomaniac tyrants were not really known for the forgiveness, not when they had been killed once.

“She is right. Sombra will not be stop with just the re-conquest of the Crystal Kingdom.” Sunset had everyone’s attention around the room and she had something to say about the matter. “And with the kind of power he is using right now, I can tell you he will not stop with just that piece of ice that he controls now. The chaos that permeates that area now will begin to spread, and with it, his forces will grow, ready to make a full out assault on the rest of the planet, until every single living being is either consumed, or worst, used as playthings for those that held the power of chaos.”

“And how do you know all that? Is this the reason why the Princesses invited you to this council?” Ether’s piercing eyes, not dulled by age or wear looked at her, trying to discern the strange creature that had appeared one day on Equestria, but Sunset was not about to give him access to her inner thoughts. Not now, not ever.

“Because I was trained since I was a young girl to face powers like that, to defend the planets that make the Imperium of Man from creatures like this and this will not be my first time seeing the results of tampering with energies that no mortal should ever be allowed to.” Sunset had been raised in Canterlot, sure, but years of battle, of training, had molded her into something Celestia would never be able to do. It made her a warrior, bringer of the Emperor’s light.

“It is for that very same reason that I asked you to be part of this council Sunset Shimmer. Didn’t you say that you were trained to deal with creatures like these? We need your help, Equestria needs your help… I need your help.” Sunset scowled, glaring at the white alicorn, knowing very well that she was trying to trap her into fighting for her. This was her idea, to make her part of a war that had nothing to do with her or her troops. How like Celestia to manipulate a situation on her favor, all so others will do all her dirty work.

Everyone around the table stood quiet, almost like statues as they saw the human woman glare at their leader, all of them holding their breath, not knowing how this soldier from the stars will react, what she will do and what her answer could be.

None of them knew the exact reasons of the appearance of the human ship on Equus, but they all have seen the images, about the mind-boggling dimensions of the metal structure that ferried the humans across space and were all terrified of that power. Maybe they didn’t know their plans or what would they do, but they could see and feel the power of the woman named Sunset Shimmer and the rest of her armored forces. They have heard the name Sisters of Battle and felt it fit them perfectly.

Equestria was not a land that was new to the forces of darkness, but those were isolated situations. Never in their lifetime have they been part of something quite like this, of open war and war councils. They had the Princesses, but they needed something else, somepony to guide them, or better put, someone to guide Equestria, and Sunset hated that idea.

She will not be used as a pawn by someone she owned no loyalty anymore, she was a Daughter of the Emperor, she was his light and his hammer, not a tool for filthy xenos that could be trampled by chaos and raped for all eternity by Slaanesh if they failed at stopping Sombra, which they will do considering the kind of trouble chaos was on a daily basis back home. She may not know why the fuck chaos have made appearance on this world, but Sunset was not going to send the little troops she had under her new command into the grinder just to save a bunch of xenos and she was about to say that to Celestia with a very well places bullet from the bolter at her back, but there was something that stopped her hand. Sunset’s eyes met those of Cadence, a pony that knew her well.

They have never been friends, not because the pink princess hasn’t tried it, but it was Sunset’s fault that at the time she hasn’t tried to connect with her. Sunset sometimes thought about the young alicorn, at moments when Sunset could give herself that luxury and her image was always followed by guilt and shame. If only, she said to herself those times, if only she had understood that it wasn’t Cadence the one at fault, she never tried to become a princess, she just was and while it wasn’t fair, it wasn’t her fault still.

She tried to imagine a world in which she took Cadence’s hoof in friendship, how things would have gone and she was always met with the thought that maybe, she wouldn’t have made the same mistakes, that maybe, she wouldn’t have been spit in the darkest of worlds.

The redhead closed her eyes and took a deep breath, taking care of her rage before she did something completely stupid, like dooming an entire world into becoming the playthings of powers they did not understand. She was Sunset Shimmer, Canoness of the Sun of Eternity, she was responsible of hundreds of lives, probably even more now, and she was not going to skirt her responsibilities. She was an Adepta Sororitas, a Sister of Battle, and a member of the Inquisition, even though she rarely wore the insignia. It was her duty to fight the forces of darkness.

“Guardsman Felicia.” She didn’t need to turn around to see the blonde soldier stood ramrod straight behind her. “What is our duty?” The words started to flow easily, in a phrase she knew well.

“To serve the Emperor’s will Canoness.” Felicia’s usual voice full of nerves and insecurities banished, falling into her role of Mankind’s protector. Around her, every single pony turned to look at each other, not knowing where this was going.

“What is the Emperor’s will?”

“That we fight and die.” The certainty in Felicia’s voice was palpable, inundating Sunset with her devotion, both in the Emperor and in her Commander. Sunset smiled at the thought of once more going into battle. After all, it had been too long since she had been sent into the battlefield and as cautions as she was, she was still a soldier of the Emperor. Taking her sword from her scabbard every pony took a step backwards without realizing by the sheer ferocity in the Canoness’ face and with one move, she impaled the power sword right into the table, on top of the part of the map representing the Crystal Empire.

“What are we waiting? Let’s go to war.” While the older pair of princesses in the room where very well versed in the art of war and the aggression and rage of it, Princess Twilight Sparkle was sure that the savage grin on Sunset Shimmer’s face will appear many times in her nightmares.

Author's Note:

Is time for war and it will engulf the planet like any good 40k battle.