• Published 1st May 2018
  • 1,679 Views, 113 Comments

Side A - The Guard - daOtterGuy



Flash Sentry ends up falling head over hooves for the resident Chocolatier. This can only end well.

  • ...
8
 113
 1,679

Is it still Dating if You Don't Say it is?

“Shining,” Flash whined, “How do I ask Cocoa out on a date?”

Shining groaned and glared at Flash. “Is this really the best time to ask me about how to fix your love life?”

Flash blinked in confusion and took in his surroundings. Due to an inopportune comment from one of the other guards, probably that jerk Chevalier as Flash was prone to blame him for everything these days, about one of the sergeant’s mothers. As punishment, the entire platoon had been forced to do thirty laps around the barracks. At full gallop. In armor.

Flash was, of course, having no troubles keeping pace; a point of annoyance for his disgruntled comrades in arms who were already feeling the burn of running full tilt in heavy, metal armour. This was especially so for Shining, who, not lucky enough to born as a pegasus to an earth pony father, was soaked through his fur in sweat and struggling to stay upright.

Seeing all of this, Flash carefully crafted an appropriate response and said, “Yes.”

Shining grumbled an expletive under his breath, but regretted doing so as it took more energy than he could spare.

“Its okay, Shining.” Flash said reassuringly, “I know how hard it is for you to do this with your frail, porcelain-like physique.” If Shining wasn’t currently drowning in sweat he would have glared, “But you don’t have to say anything. I’ll just talk at you. All you have to do is nod if you think it's a good idea.”

Shining really didn’t want to, but he supposed he could manage that.

He nodded in affirmation.

“Great!” Flash shouted excitedly, “So my first idea was to grab a basket of rose petals and throw them on the breeze-”

It was at this moment that Shining remembered that Flash was terrible at romance and he was now going to be subject to an entire day of Flash’s complete and utter nonsense that he deems as seductive. In hindsight, Shining realized that this was the best time for Flash to ask since Shining couldn’t spare enough energy to make him shut up.

It was going to be a long day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After running thirty laps, the group was subjected to weight training. The best part of the day for Earth ponies, and a living nightmare for everypony else.

Shining was currently struggling to lift his 120 lbs. set off the ground, while Flash was pushing through a 150 lbs. set.

“So I was thinking that instead of just reading him the poem, I could send a huge flock of pigeons instead. Each bird would be carrying a piece of the full love poem I wrote and then he would have to assemble it to read the whole thing. No, wait. Better idea! I could send one really BIG pigeon! Though, I’m not sure where I would find a big enough pigeon. I guess I could breed one, but I don't know how long that takes and I don’t know if I want to be that familiar with pigeon mating habits. Hm, its a-”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shining and Flash were now sparring with each other. Shining was armed with a sword and his magic, while Flash was stabbing with a long spear held between his wings.

To outside observers, the match was intense. Flash weaved in and out of Shining’s guard, making quick stabbing motions with his spear, while Shining kept a defensive stance and conjured shields to block heavy blows at the last moment.

It would have been intense. If only Flash would just stop talking.

“Oh, this is my best idea yet. I’ll send him a boat! From the sky! That’s romantic right? Sending those you like boats from the sky? Or pudding? Or maybe flowers? Now that I think about it, what is the best thing to send somepony from the sky? I know I love getting things from the sky, but I don’t know-”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As was just Shining’s luck that day, somepony had said something stupid. About one of the sergeant’s mothers. Again. So once more, the entire platoon was running thirty laps around the barracks in armor at full gallop, while Flash continued to be as chirpy and chatty as ever.

Shining had no idea what he had done to deserve this, but he planned to atone for the rest of his life for this mistake. The condition being that he would be granted the blessing of Flash going mute.

“You know going back to the gifts from the sky idea, it would be so much better just to get a cloud and have it rain gifts. Like a cloud that rains chocolate. Wait, no. Cocoa is a chocolatier he doesn’t need more chocolate. Maybe I could have it rain wine. Hah! I just realized I could call it a whining cloud. Ah, horse, I kill myself sometimes. But, anyways about the raining cloud-”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Flash, stop!” Shining shouted while breathing heavily. The spoon that been held in his telekinetic grip clattered onto the table.

Flash and Shining were currently eating at a lone table in the mess hall. Flash had still been talking while eating his meal and Shining had finally reached the breaking point. Flash was currently frozen in place with a spoon full of carrots halfway to his mouth.

Flash looked up at Shining. Pleading.

Shining rolled his eyes. “Yes, you can finish eating your carrots.”

Grinning, Flash finished his spoon’s course. “Bucking love carrots.”

Shining huffed then glared at Flash, “Okay, how do you do it?”

Flash blinked, confused, “Do what?”

Shining threw his hooves in the air and shouted, “TALK CONSTANTLY. You haven’t stopped since this morning and were still able to keep up in the exercise without any trouble. How do you even have that kind of energy? I am both jealous and terrified. Also,” Shining leaned into Flash’s face, “I do NOT have a frail, porcelain physique!”

Flash just gave Shining a patronizing look that only served to rile Shining more, “Well first off, I’m sorry Shining but you do.”

“Secondly,” and at this Flash sighed dreamily, “its because I’m in love.”

A guard sitting behind Flash mumbled under his breath. Something along the lines of ‘idiot energy’. In response, Flash whipped around and shouted menacingly, “I swear to CELESTIA, Chevalier. I WILL throw you out a window again.”

Chevalier, who had not actually said anything, gasped and let his spoon clatter onto his lunch tray. “I didn’t even say anything this time!”

Flash glared at Chevalier, who, after a moment, hmphed and move to another table with his tray.

Grinning once more, Flash turned back to Shining, “Well, anyways you were clearly listening, so which idea was best.”

“None of them.” Shining deadpanned.

Flash chuckled nervously. “None of them? That’s… that’s silly. One of them had to be a great idea, right? They couldn’t have all been bad.”

Shining just gave Flash the look. The look that Flash knew meant he had said something stupid and he hadn’t yet realized that it was stupid. Or that Flash had gotten Shining into a ridiculous situation of his own making and he was blaming Flash for it. Or Flash had touched Shining’s comics again. He was fairly certain it was probably the first one though as he hadn't done anything yet today to warrant the look and Flash was fairly certain Shining hadn't noticed that Flash was ‘borrowing’ his new issue of the Power Ponies. Yet.

Flash fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat. “They weren’t that bad.”

“Your ideas of ‘wooing’ somepony seemed to fall under the categories of impracticable, batshit crazy, or illegal. Sometimes, all of the above.”

Flash had enough shame to at least blush and hang his head.

Shining sighed heavily. “Look, Flash. I know this is your first time, but if you want this to work out between Cocoa and you, your going to have to...”

Shining stopped. Flash for some reason was trying to look anywhere, but at Shining.

Shining thought back to what he had said and connected the dots.

He narrowed his eyes. “How many?”

Flash, at that moment, noticed that two guards nearby were having an absolutely riveting discussion about pineapples. He wasn’t ignoring Shining of course because that would be very rude to his bestest best friend ever.

Also, he was not avoiding the problem. He was ignoring it. There’s a difference.

“One?”

Flash kept his mouth shut.

“Three?”

Flash started sweating.

“Six?”

Flash was going to need a long bath if he sweated anymore than he already did.

“10?” Shining asked incredulously having at this point risen from his seat.

“... 9” Flash said grinning sheepishly, while blushing.

“How did you have 9 marefriends without me noticing? Actually how did you get even one?!”

Flash frowned, “Wow, Shining. I’m actually starting to get offended.”

Shining quickly waved a hoof in denial, “No, sorry that’s not what I meant.” Shining stopped and pondered a moment, “Wait, no that’s exactly what I meant. You are way too hyperactive and ridiculous to be able to get anypony to want to date you seriously.”

“Uh, Shining. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m hot.” Flash stated matter of factually.

Shining narrowed his eyes. “Didn’t take you for being the narcissistic type.”

“No,” Flash said quickly, “I mean my ex marefriends always would date me because they thought I was super hot then once they got to know me they always said ‘No amount of hotness can fix how weird you are.’”

“That… is pretty harsh.” Shining a measure of pity of Flash.

“Hey, better than being Mr. Stern frail ballerina who is ‘definitely dating the Princess of Love, no really stop laughing.’”

Shining immediately remembered why he didn’t pity Flash.

“Okay, well how did those previous relationships work out?”

Flash fidgeted in his seat again, not saying anything and looking in random directions.

“It couldn’t have been that bad.”

“Well...” Flash started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honey Dew was panicking. Her normally perfectly braided, blonde mane was sticking out in several directions from stress and her bright orange eyes were darting in every which way trying to find the source of her fear.

It had started this morning. She woke up to make breakfast and could feel somepony or something watching her.

She had thought she was imagining it, but the feeling had persisted throughout the day as she went about town. From the grocer to the open market, she could feel something watching. Waiting. Hunting.

It took all her willpower not to run screaming through the streets.

She had to get away.

She saw her chance when she noticed a crowd of ponies mingling in the streets. She trotted into the herd and let herself be swept away by the throng in the hopes of losing her stalker.

After a few moments, she found herself in a different part of town and breathed a sigh of relief when she couldn’t feel herself being watched anymore.

She started to trot again, when she bumped into something.

Fearing that her stalker had instead decided to finally show itself, she swung around and readied to buck the horrible creature in its face.

Then she noticed the orange pegasus with a messy blue mane and big blue eyes.

Oh thank Celestia, it's just Flash.

“Oh, Flash I am so glad to see you.” Honey breathed a sigh of relief.

“So am I! I got you the flowers you love.”

He offered a bouquet of violets in one hoof. Her favourites. Though, she couldn’t remember when she had told him that.

“Ah, thanks sweetie, but-”

“And it took a lot to figure it out as you wouldn’t visit any flower shops today.” said Flash while grinning.

“Oh, well- wait what?”

“Well, I wanted to get you a gift, but I didn’t know what you would like and I didn’t want to ask because then you’d know I was getting you something.” Flash said sheepishly, then with cheer, “So I followed you around town to figure out what you liked.”

Honey was speechless. Wait, no she wasn’t, “THAT WAS YOU?!”

“... Yes?” Flash said confused.

It took only a moment for Honey Dew to finish her back kick and another to angrily state that they were broken up.

Let it never be said that Honey Dew didn’t buck’em hard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prim Proper was a high class unicorn. She wore the finest that bits could buy. A long, elegant gown of silver to compliment her mulberry coat, and a pearl necklace to draw attention to her sparkling light blue eyes and expertly tousled blue mane. She was the very picture of elegance.

And it was for this reason that she stuck out so much at the annual Canterlot Rodeo.

“I don’t understand.”

Flash stood nearby with stars in his eyes and was jumping in place with foalish excitement. He was dressed in that accursed hoodie that Prim so despised, but at least he looked cute in it.

“It’s the rodeo!” Flash said excitedly.

“I am aware of that Flash,” Prim stated, “I am just confused as you had said we were going somewhere with class.”

“Well, yeah. The rodeo is the classiest place in Canterlot!” Flash gestured out to the lowbrow fair that he was so enthralled with.

Prim, in morbid fascination, looked in the direction of where Flash was pointing to witness a pony fit eight corn dogs at once into its large gaping mouth.

Prim looked from the corndog monstrosity back to Flash. She took in his foalish glee and did a mental calculation of his age. Then she thought about his past actions and, with dawning realization, figured out what his maturity level was.

Sweet Celestia, she was dating an overgrown colt.

Prim clipped her tongue inside of her mouth and turned to Flash. “I don’t think this is going to work out.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hey, stud. Wait right there,” Scandalous, a bright pink earth pony with a misty blue mane, batted her eyelashes, “I’m going to go grab something fun.”

“Oh” Flash said excitedly, “I like fun.”

Scandalous winked as she got off the bed and headed towards her wardrobe.

Flash was currently resting in a grand four poster bed in a rather high class bedroom with his then marefriend. They had just finished off their first date and he had been invited back to her bedroom.

Everything had been going great, and they both seemed to jive really well together. She didn’t mind his ridiculousness and she sometimes licked his ears in public. It was a perfect pairing.

As Scandalous started sorting through her wardrobe looking for whatever she was looking for, Flash took a moment to admire her flanks. They were a very nice set of flanks and Flash was starting to think he may have a thing for them because that was something he always seemed to notice immediately.

There was another thump as Scandalous dragged something out of the wardrobe and brought it up for Flash to-

OH SWEET CELESTIA, WHAT IN TARTARUS IS THAT!?

Scandalous bit her lip with a faint blush in her cheeks as she hefted the… thing, up against herself. Flash was sure there was a reasonable and hopefully fun explanation for what that thing was.

“I can’t wait to see if we can get it to fit.” Scandalous giggled as she eyed the area right about where Flash’s flanks were.

Flash didn’t realize he was injured until he had flown halfway across Canterlot. He would have time to remove the glass shards from his fur when he was on the other side of the city or preferably another town entirely.

Flash was certain though, that it would most certainly not fit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shining found it harder and harder to breathe as he rolled on the floor laughing hysterically. Flash hoped he choked on a wayward carrot rolling around on the floor.

“... It wasn’t that funny,” Flash grumbled.

After some more laughter and insistence that ‘yes, it was that funny’, Shining finally got back into his seat wiping a few stray tears away with a hoof.

Flash kept his grumpy face.

“Okay, look Flash, I’m sorry.”

Flash looked up hopefully at Shining. Shining, for his part, managed to keep a straight face for about five seconds before he was pounding the table and laughing his flank off.

Flash glared ineffectually. “You are a terrible wing pony.”

Shining allowed the last of his chuckles to die out before he replied, “Okay, okay, I’m good.” At Flash’s continued glare, Shining reassured, “No, really. I’m done, promise.”

Flash held his glare for a few more moments before sighing, “Fine.”

Shining grinned, “Look, its not that bad. Well actually the first one was pretty bad, but the others were just a bad match. The problem wasn’t you, it was them.”

Which was not what Shining thought at all, but he was here for Flash and he was going to make him feel better about it even if he had to blatantly lie.

“... You think?”

“I know,” Shining said with conviction, “And hey, Cocoa seems to like you as you are, so you have that going.”

Flash thought for a moment. “Yeah… Yeah!,” Flash pounded a hoof on the table for emphasis. “You’re right. This won’t be like the last 9 times. This will be better! Better than all of those failed times combined.”

Shining nodded in encouragement. “Yeah, definitely. Buuuuuut we should still go over a few things to make sure things go smoothly when you ask Cocoa out.”

Flash blinked quizzically. “Like what?”

“Well for starters...”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a solid hour of dating advice and ‘no, Flash you can't do that it’s illegal’, Flash was confident that he was ready.

Shining’s first piece of advice was to dress to impress, so Flash went with an old classic: his worn out, navy blue hoodie.

Yes, Flash looked quite impressive.

Shining’s next piece of advice was to stride into the Chocolate Print with swagger and confidence. Nothing was more sexy than a confident stallion and if Flash went in with an ego a mile wide maybe he wouldn’t chicken out like the first twenty-two times he had done it.

Hah, easy. I got this in the bag.

Flash Sentry was now at the shop. He puffed his chest out, let his wings hang slightly open to appear more awesome, and put on his best smile.

It was definitely a good ego boost to see two mares across the street blushing profusely while looking at him.

Feeling confident, and mustering all the pizzazz he had, which is his opinion was a bucking lot of it, Flash strode into the Chocolate Print.

He picked out Cocoa instantly at the front counter. No way could Flash ever miss those sexy flanks. Quickly, he trotted toward the counter.

As he got closer, his stride wavered, his grin became strained, and he broke out in a cold sweat. Cocoa looked just so amazing with his chocolate coloured fur and swept back mane and dear Celestia HE DID NOT HAVE THIS.

“H-hey, Cocoa.” Flash squeaked. Confidently.

Cocoa smiled warmly, “Hello, Flash. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Flash darted his eyes back and forth looking for an escape. Oh buck, he was not ready for this. He was not ready at all. In a desperate attempt to latch onto any topic and stop making himself look like an idiot, he decided to ask Cocoa something that had been nagging him for a while.

“So, Cocoa I noticed your the only one ever working here. Why is that?”

“Simply put because I have yet to find a worker to help fill the role.”

Flash nodded his head in understanding then processed what Cocoa had said. “Wait. Do you mean to say that you own the Chocolate Print?”

Cocoa raised both eyebrows in surprise, “Well, yes. I thought it was obvious with my last name being on the store’s sign.”

Cocoa Print. Chocolate Print. Damn, it was really obvious.

Flash’s awestruck face was then in Cocoa’s, as Flash excitedly exclaimed, “You own a business? That’s so cool.”

Cocoa grinned, “Oh, well thank you. Glad you approve.”

“Oh, tartarus yeah.”

Cocoa snorted. “So other than that, what do you need?”

Running on the high of having found out about Cocoa being even more awesome, Flash hurriedly said “Oh, yeah. Do you want to hang out after your done work tonight.”

“Certainly, anything in particular?”

Flash sported a mischievous grin as he said, “Not telling. It’s a surprise.”

“Oh, a mystery then? Sounds exciting. I look forward to tonight then.”

“See you then!”

Cocoa nodded in response and Flash left. He had even kept some of his dignity in tact.

Once outside, he gave himself a victory hoof pump and found himself with a massive grin as he trotted down the street on his way back to the barracks.

Then he realized that he hadn’t actually asked Cocoa on a date, he’d just asked him to hang out.

Hoof met face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flash was still in his worn out hoodie by the time he returned to meet up with Cocoa. Cocoa, on the other hoof, was dressed to dazzle in a simple black jacket that, as far as Flash was concerned, he was rocking.

“So where is this mysterious destination of yours?”

Flash just gave Cocoa a grin and set off in a seemingly random direction. Cocoa soon followed and the two of them trotted down the street side by side.

As they walked under the starry night sky, Flash considered stating that this was in fact a date and not just hanging out. He knew that would be under hoofed as it were and decided just to enjoy being in Cocoa’s presence as they quietly trotted along the street.

As they neared their destination, the telltale blare of music could be heard in the midst of the peaceful evening.

“How wonderful. I haven’t heard music so lovely in quite some years.” Cocoa noted, closing his eyes and enjoying the lively tune that permeated the air.

“One of my fellow guards let me know there was an event today.”

“Oh, what event?”

“A free open air music festival lead by the Canterlot Orchestra.” Flash smugly stated.

Cocoa turned to him with a foalish grin and star studded eyes. “No. The Canterlot Orchestra never plays public venues and certainly not for free.”

In reply, Flash just grinned and quickened their pace to the park.

They soon found themselves at the entrance to the West Gardens of Canterlot and were treated to a truly fantastic sight.

The area was decorated with blazingly bright lights that blinked in time with the music. A large stage had been set up where the full hundred piece orchestra played with fervour and excitement.

Before them was a verifiable throng of ponies dancing and swinging to the beat. The air was electric with the wild joy of the crowd and the ground shook from the huge herd that stomped about.

Not wanting to waste another second, Flash grabbed an excited Cocoa, and dove into the throng.

Both of them let loose laughs of pure exhilaration as they found themselves carried to the center of the herd.

The two of them danced the evening away. The orchestra blended together set after set of the most beautiful symphony. A lively samba would transform into a stern waltz and ascend into an epic ballad and so it would go well into the night.

Neither of the two ponies spoke except for joyous shouts and wild grins. Over the course of the evening, the distance between them grew smaller and smaller, as they found themselves dancing closer and closer together.

When the last piece was finally played, and the orchestra took their bows, both Flash and Cocoa gave a resounding stomp of their hooves in applause with the rest of the adoring audience.

As they trotted out of the park heading home, Flash couldn’t keep the dopey grin off his face.

Cocoa let loose an uncharacteristically wild laugh, that Flash found himself falling in love with. “Wonderful idea, Flash. I haven’t had that much fun in years.”

“Yeah, that was wild.”

Cocoa’s wide grin was all the response Flash needed.

Running off the high of his successful hang out, Flash asked, “Are you busy next Saturday?”

Cocoa smirked, “Oh, would you happen to have another mystery event planned?”

Flash then showed what Cocoa would describe as a ‘shit-eating grin’, “Yep, and I won’t tell you what it is.”

“Oh, well I don’t know if I could make it then. I’m afraid I will only be able to attend if I know exactly what’s happening.” Cocoa teased.

Flash gasped, “But the mystery is half the fun!”

“Nope, sorry.” Cocoa smirked, “I don’t make it a habit following friendly stallions into mysterious places.” Cocoa paused, “Twice.”

Flash pouted. Not just pouted, he Pouted. The lower lip trembled, the big blue eyes got wider, and a single tear rolled down Flash’s forlorn muzzle.

Cocoa, to his credit, lasted ten seconds before he caved as the many brave ponies before him. “Okay, okay, I’ll go. But please, stop pouting,” Cocoa then mumbled under his breath, “Sweet Celestia, Shining was right. That is weapons grade sadness right there.”

Flash immediately replaced his pout with a huge grin and Cocoa breathed a sigh of relief.

“Anyways Flash, I simply must be heading home. Enjoy the rest of your evening. I’ll see you Saturday.”

“Yep, you too!”

As Cocoa trotted off, Flash had a nagging feeling that he had forgotten something. Something important. He mulled over his thoughts and then he remembered.

He forgot to clarify that he was asking Cocoa on a date.

Again.

Flash pounded his head into a nearby post. It hurt less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once more Flash found himself in front of the Chocolate Print. Cocoa strode out a few minutes later dressed in a tasteful mauve jacket with a simple white tie.

Flash was in his worn out hoodie again.

“Do you have anything to wear other than that hoodie?” Cocoa asked curious.

Flash thought for a moment. “I have my guard armor?”

Cocoa tightened his lips into a thin line and hmphed.

“I have my hoof ball jersey form high school.” At Cocoa’s visible cringe, Flash asked, “Hey, what’s wrong with a jersey?”

“The problem isn’t the jersey, the problem is that it's from High School. Ponies that wear those always seem to others like they are trying to relive the ‘glory days’.”

This time Flash cringed. “Okay, maybe not that.” Cocoa nodded his head in agreement. “But, I might find something tonight.”

“Oh, why is that? You still haven’t even told me where we’re going.”

Flash grinned mischievously, “Same as last time. It’s a surprise.”

Cocoa smirked and trotted along with Flash to what he recognized as the Old Quarter.

As they reached what Cocoa knew as the Plaza, Cocoa heard the distinctive murmur of dozens of ponies all talking.

As they rounded the corner, Coco was treated to the sight of dozens and dozens of colourful tents and stands. Ponies wandered through narrow passages between merchants hawking everything from jewelry, furniture, clothes, and more.

Cocoa looked surprised. “I must admit, I am still relatively new to Canterlot, but I am at a loss as to why I haven’t heard of this place.”

Flash grinned, “It’s the Night Bazaar. Once a season, ponies from all over Equestria gather here to sell and trade goods. You can find some really interesting stuff if you look hard enough. Most ponies only learn of this place from the natives, which is why you wouldn’t have heard of it before now.”

“I can’t help but be intrigued. Shall we join in?”

In response, Flash grabbed onto Cocoa and dragged him into crowd, grinning all the while.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It became abundantly clear early on the Flash had an awful sense of fashion. Cocoa had insisted on finding a few articles of clothing for Flash’s lackluster wardrobe, but Flash was making the endeavor difficult as his tastes were just so… odd.

Just a few select pieces were several knitted hats in the shapes of fruit, wool sweaters that would have looked big on a yak, and a shirt-that-shall-never-be-mentioned-again. Cocoa was starting to wonder if Flash had some secret stash of awful clothing that only he could see and was drawing from, to slowly drive Cocoa mad.

Thankfully, Cocoa intervened and managed to find Flash a stylish black jacket with two stripes of red and white across the front. Cocoa had paid for it, with a protesting Flash saying that he didn’t want Cocoa spending a ton of money on him. Cocoa simply said it was thanks for the opportunity to visit both the market and for the orchestra last week.

Flash, in retaliation, treated both of them to strawberry shaved ice at a snow cone stand nearby. Cocoa thus swore vengeance against Flash’s generosity with more of his own at a later time. Just when Flash would least expect it.

Afterwards, the two perused the stalls looking through the various wares. They only avoided one stand which held cursed trinkets, mainly because Flash’s eyes spoke of horrors to be unleashed and Cocoa wasn’t in the mood to fight back unholy terrors.

As Cocoa and Flash left the market, Cocoa said, “Well, I must admit, you are quite good at finding mystery events.”

Flash grinned sheepishly. “Eh, I try.”

“So, are we hanging out again, sometime soon?”

Flash was about to excitedly reply yes, but stopped himself. The way Cocoa had said it and the bemused smirk that sat on his face seemed to imply a different meaning, but Flash couldn’t figure it out.

Flash was also beginning to both love and hate that smirk.

“Yeah, definitely.” Flash responded happily.

Flash felt a pang of sadness when he saw Cocoa’ face fall, but it was soon replaced by a smile. “Of course, well what do you have in mind next then?”

Flash didn’t like that look. It actually caused some measure of pain and he couldn’t figure out why Cocoa had been disappointed. Did Cocoa want to ask him for something else? Did Cocoa, and Flash was genuinely hesitant to say it, want him to ask him out? On a date?

Well, it’s now or never.

“I-,” Flash started hesitantly, “actually, no. I don’t want to.”

Cocoa looked hurt, “Oh, you… you don’t then?”

Flash quickly realized he had said something ridiculously stupid and quickly remedied, “Wait, wait! No, it's not that I don’t want to hang out with you, I was just well, um, hoping...”

Flash found the words stuck in his throat. No matter how hard he tried, they wouldn’t come out. For buck’s sake, it was just a sentence! He was making a huge mistake and hurting Cocoa’s feelings and all he had to say was those stupid words.

“Hoping...” Cocoa bit his lip, “Hoping for what?”

Flash was sick of this. He wanted to ask, he was pretty sure Cocoa wanted him to ask, and dammit he was going to ask.

“D-do you want to go on a date?” Flash squeaked out, “With me?”

Cocoa blinked. Then he smiled. It was probably the most dazzling thing Flash had ever seen and he wished he could look at it forever.

“Yes, Flash. I thought you would never ask.”

“Wait, so you would?” Flash said with stars in his eyes.

“Yes, I’d love to.”

“So, would next Saturday work?”

“Wouldn’t miss it.”

Flash did a jig of victory and then realized he was doing it in front of his crush. Flash turned a bright shade of pink as Cocoa smirked at him.

“Well at least your excited. See you next saturday then for our date?”

Flash nodded his head rapidly still blushing profusely.

Cocoa grinned and started to trot away, then his smile morphed into a smirk and before Flash could react, Cocoa kissed him right on the lips.

Explosive didn’t begin to describe it.

Being everything Flash had ever wanted was getting closer.

Impossibly, Flash turned an even brighter shade of pink with some steam coming out of his ears. Before Flash could even process or reply, Cocoa laughed and trotted off.

Flash stood still for a moment blushing. Inertia and gravity then caught up and Flash found himself on the ground sighing with a dopey grin on his face.

Saturday couldn’t come soon enough.

Author's Note:

First time I wrote a chapter that's 5000 words. Kind of crazy for me.

Also is it wrong to ship my own characters so hard?

Meh, enjoy ~!

Next chapter should be a short one too as I introduce Cocoa's dad.