• Published 1st May 2018
  • 1,680 Views, 113 Comments

Side A - The Guard - daOtterGuy



Flash Sentry ends up falling head over hooves for the resident Chocolatier. This can only end well.

  • ...
8
 113
 1,680

This Just in From Butt: Danger Incoming

Flash woke up. He was confused for a moment as he was looking out the bedroom window and seemed to be higher up then he usually was. He looked down and realized he was laying across Cocoa’s back.

Right, I move in my sleep.

Not wanting to get up to start the day yet, Flash buried his snout into Cocoa’s fur and took a deep whiff of his chocolate scent. Flash had missed Cocoa’s scent the most while he’d been away. It was a comfort for him when he as feeling down.

Wanting to get into a more comfortable position, Flash curled up into a ball on Cocoa’s back with his wings tucked in and his snout buried in Cocoa’s fur.

It was super comfy.

Flash snuggled in and prepared to go back to sleep in what was his new favourite position. At least his favourite non-sexual one. Though he didn’t really have a favourite sexual position. Eh, he could figure that out later. Preferably with Cocoa.

“If you are awake,” Cocoa said tiredly, “I would appreciate if you would get off of me.”

Flash stayed silent hoping Cocoa would think he was just moving in his sleep again. Flash refused to relinquish his new most comfortable position so easily to something so unfun like waking up.

“Flash, seriously,” Cocoa said irritably, “Get off.”

Flash continued to stay silent. He grinned happily to himself. He should sleep on his colt friend like this more often.

“I will throw you onto the floor,” Cocoa threatened, “Again.”

Cocoa wouldn’t do it. Even if he had done it before, Flash looked too cute like this. Besides, Flash was heavy. He was hard to throw off when his opponent wasn’t pinned under him.

Cocoa grunted. Flash felt the shifting of Cocoa’s back muscles underneath him. Flash was unconcerned until he remembered something important.

Cocoa was raised on guard training, and was not what one would describe as dainty.

Knowing where this was heading, Flash opened his eyes wide open and jumped off of Cocoa with a yelp of alarm. Feeling that his rather heavy colt friend had finally got off of him, Cocoa stretched and then turned himself around to look at Flash who was pouting pathetically at him.

Cocoa smirked, “I did warn you.”

“But it was my new most comfiest spot,” Flash whined.

“Oh please,” Cocoa rolled his eyes, “You find a new ‘most comfiest’ spot every week.”

“I can’t help it,” Flash grumped, “You’re comfy everywhere.”

Cocoa just grinned cheekily in response. Flash, deciding that he didn’t like getting one pulled over him by his colt friend, leaned in close and kissed Cocoa on the snout.

“I love you,” Flash said with a dopey grin.

Flash was rewarded for his efforts with a crimson and very flustered Cocoa who sputtered before finally saying, “W-We never agreed to say those words yet.”

“We did not,” Flash agreed, “I, on the other hoof, have never let others stop me from saying what I want to.”

Flash gave his best most winning shit-eating grin, “That you don't agree and get all cute and flustered when I say it is an added bonus.”

Cocoa was beside himself and blushing furiously. Flash giggled at seeing his normally well spoken and stoic colt friend reduced to a sputtering pile of adorableness. It wasn’t everyday that Flash managed to make Cocoa speechless.

Before Cocoa could put himself together again, Flash stood up and trotted out the door calling back, “Take your time coming downstairs, I’ll make breakfast this morning.”

Flash reached the kitchen and looked around for ingredients. He saw several mangos, strawberries, and kiwis in the corner and decided on a fruit salad to start off the day. Mainly because Flash really wanted mangos, but Cocoa would be annoyed if that was all he served for breakfast.

Again.

Flash grabbed a large bowl and started dicing up fruit with a nearby knife using his wings. It was amazing what a pegasus could do with their wings with just a little bit of dexterity training. He got into a rhythm quickly and felt himself relax.

He was glad to be home.

Cocoa walked into the kitchen shortly after. Cocoa, upon looking in Flash’s direction, blushed and then instead trotted past the kitchen to the dining room. He grabbed a nearby book titled The Aesthetics of Pegasi and started reading.

Flash slowed down in his cutting and looked towards Cocoa. He was confused. Why would Cocoa just walk away like that? Did Flash look weird or something?

Flash did a quick once over of himself and everything seemed fine. He tensed and moved his body a little to check that everything worked to what he expected and noticed Cocoa his face deeper into his book.

Flash frowned. Cocoa was acting weird and Flash didn’t like it. If there was something wrong, Cocoa usually would tell him straight. Like that time Flash was bobbing his head so hard listening to music on his headphones that he was causing some of the paintings to come dangerously close to falling off their hooks in the dining room. Though that was less told and more smacked upside the head since Flash had a tendency to listen to music at a volume he probably shouldn’t.

Cocoa wasn’t telling him what was wrong, and nothing seemed off about his appearance. Not entirely true as Flash thought he looked especially adorable that day. He could hardly believe that Cocoa could resist such cuteness.

Flash frowned at the puzzle that was his colt friend’s thoughts and then promptly shrugged and continued dicing fruit. It was probably nothing.

Flash finished up the strawberries, and mangos then tossed them into the large bowl. He noticed that Cocoa was looking at him from the corner of his eyes then promptly stopped when he noticed Flash looking back.

Okay, what’s going on here?

“Mornin’, Cocoa,” Flash said cheerily.

“Good morning, Flash,” Cocoa said tersely, “Did we not already do these pleasantries?”

That was strangely cold coming from Cocoa. Flash needed to get to bottom of this.

“Nah, we only did our usual ‘Flash get off me’ routine this morning,” Flash started work on the kiwis, “Sorry for waking you up last night when I got home.”

“It was no problem, Flash,” Cocoa looked directly at him for a moment, but quickly turned away again, “Truth be told I hadn’t been asleep for long by that point.”

Flash had caught what Cocoa was staring at that time. He was checking out Flash’s flanks. That was weird. Why was Cocoa embarrassed to look at Flash’s flanks? Flash hadn't changed that much since his time in Dodge City.

Wait, yes he had. He had bulked up a lot due to Steel Bastion’s insane workout and Cocoa hadn’t seen Flash outside of his armour since Hearth’s Warming. Cocoa was just enjoying the view. Flash grinned.

He could have fun with this.

“So, Cocoa,” Flash kept his face carefully neutral, “It’s been a few months since we last saw each other right?”

Cocoa narrowed his eyes suspiciously, “Yes, we last saw each other at Hearth’s Warming.”

“Right, right,” Flash grinned mischievously, “But I can’t help but notice that you’ve been looking my way all morning.”

Cocoa blushed, “I’m just not used to having you around the house. It’s been a long time.”

Flash nodded his head and cut up the last of the fruit. He brought the bowl over to the table and set it down in front of Cocoa.

“Are you sure?” Flash gave a quick flex of his chest, “It’s not some other reason?”

Flash was rewarded by Cocoa quickly turning the other way, “N-No, of course not.”

Flash sat down in a chair next to Cocoa and leaned in close, “Are you sure about that?” Flash brought a hind leg up and let the muscles bunch up, “Because you seem to be pretty flushed right now. Are you maybe… enjoying the view?”

Cocoa stiffened and turned back to look at Flash, “I most assuredly wasn’t! I would never do something so, so crude.”

“Nothing wrong with a little lookin’,“ Flash popped a slice of strawberry into his mouth, “I don’t mind.”

Cocoa sputtered at a loss for words. He was looking at Flash with a deep blush in his cheeks that turned his normally chocolate fur to a cherry red. Flash was enjoying every second of it.

“Hey, Cocoa,” Flash lidded his eyes and leaned in closer, “Do you like strawberries?”

Cocoa, still at a complete loss as to what to say, just nodded his head. Flash internally squealed at how cute he looked.

“Well, then why not have a taste?” Flash popped a strawberry in between his teeth and suggestively cocked his eyebrows.

Flash was surprised when Cocoa gulped and leaned in close. Flash, not wanting to miss such a moment, also leaned in. He felt his breathing get heavier, syncing up with Cocoa’s ragged breaths. Just before Cocoa took a bite, and thereby going in for a kiss that was sure to blow Flash away, he shuddered and leaned back.

“You shouldn’t play with your food,” Cocoa sad stiffly.

Flash’s ears drooped and his expression became somber. He screwed up. Again. He hated it when he did that.

Flash ate the rest of the strawberry in his mouth, “Sorry, Cocoa,” Flash said morosely, “I didn’t mean to screw up again.”

Cocoa bit his lip, “No, Flash. Don’t say sorry. You did nothing wrong, I just-”

“It’s okay,” Flash interrupted.

“But it’s not!” Cocoa slammed his hooves on the table startling Flash, “I want to, I do, but every time we try, I feel a hundred voices pressing in and they won’t shut up and leave me alone.”

Flash placed a hoof on Cocoa’s shoulder. He could see unshed tears in the corners of Cocoa’s eyes. Flash didn’t know the exact cause that always made Cocoa do this nor did he understand what he meant by ‘voices’, but he hated how it made Cocoa feel.

“I said it before, I’ll say it again,” Flash grinned brightly, “I can wait.”

Cocoa looked at Flash with a pained expression. He looked like he wanted to say something, but held back. Flash nuzzled Cocoa right under his head. Flash’s favourite spot.

Flash gave Cocoa a quick kiss on the snout and leaned back, “Let’s finish breakfast. I need to report to the barracks today anyways for my interview to decide what posting I’m getting.”

Cocoa nodded and ate a slice of mango. They enjoyed the rest of their meal in silence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flash trotted down the cobblestone streets of Canterlot. After having given his usual kiss on the snout to Cocoa, Flash was ready to start the day.

He first walked by the old trainee barracks where he saw other recruits getting strung out by the sergeants. He grinned as he remembered all times he had been torn out for his antics. But no longer! Flash was a serious stallion in a serious job.

He would be stealthier when he decides to goof around.

Flash had never been to the barracks proper. He knew it was a wing of the castle and just past the trainee barracks, but he had never actually visited it. Didn’t see the point in going to a building he didn’t have clearance to enter.

Many of the other guards had said it was intimidating but Flash was sure they were exaggerating. Besides, it was a building. How scary could it-

Flash stopped. He looked up. Then up and up and up until he finally saw the roof.

Flash was pretty sure that the other guards had under exaggerated at this point.

The proper guard barracks was a ten story monster of a building that was built into the side of Canterlot castle. It was made entirely of stone and trimmed with gold. Not gold as in the colour, gold as in the metal. Paned windows peeked out from the building at even intervals. Bright banners depicting the Princess’s insignia, her signature cutie mark of a sun, were lined all along the edge of the building.

It was impressive if a bit gaudy.

Putting on a brave face that Flash hoped didn’t show how nervous he was - it did - he trotted up the flagstone walkway to the front door.

There was one guard standing nearby with a clipboard in one hoof and dressed in the traditional gold armour of the guard. She was a unicorn with the typical white coat and blonde mane. Flash knew that was due to enchantment from their armour and wondered what she really looked like.

He noted the trim on the armour which was a navy blue. All guard ranks were colour coded so as to be easily distinguished by other guards. Flash thought for a moment back to his studies in the academy to remember how to address the mare.

Private? No. Captain? No. Cook. Maybe.

Corporal? Yes.

Flash saluted, “Greetings, Corporal.”

“Well, look at you all professional and chipper this morning,” The mare smirked then noted Flashs’ wings, “You’re a pegasus.”

Flash held back his irritated sigh, he knew where this was going, “Yes, ma'am.”

“Kind of big for a pegasus.”

“Earth pony father ma’am,” And the hundredth time he’s been told that.

“Can you fly?”

Without warning, Flash launched himself into the air with a powerful flap of his wings. He hovered for a moment then gently landed back on the ground.

The mare whistled, “Nice job, Private. What’s your name?”

Flash went back into his salute, “Flash Sentry, ma’am.”

The mare looked over her clipboard and nodded once she found his name, “Alright, Private Sentry. Through the front door, and follow the purple line to the main hall. You’ll be getting a private meeting with Captain Blue Charge.”

Flash nodded in confirmation and stepped through the front door. It was just as ridiculously fancy inside as it was out.

The walls were made from marble and also trimmed with gold. Several corridors jetted off from Flash’s current position with small lights interspersed evenly throughout. Flash looked at the tiled floor and noted several coloured lines shooting off in various directions.

Flash was actually delighted as he always loved the idea of just following colours everywhere. Seemed like a happy sort of thing to do.

He found the purple line quickly and trotted down the corresponding corridor.

After several twists and turns, Flash soon came into a wide open room with the royal banners hanging above. There was a large crowd of ponies huddled around the area. Flash was feeling silly as he was the only one who had come in his armour due to Cocoa’s insistence.

Curse his colt friend's need to be so professional all the time.

“Private Thunderhead,” One pony near a door off to the side called out.

A pegasus from the crowd trotted over, and both the announcer and the pony left through the side door.

Another guard to Flash’s right, trotted over to him.

“Name?”

Flash saluted, “Private Flash Sentry, Sir.”

The guard checkmarked a name off his clipboard and nodded in approval, “Alright, wait here and you’ll be called shortly. Also, I’m impressed. Most recruits don’t actually show up in their armour. Good on you for that.”

Flash revoked his earlier curse. Praise be to his amazing colt friend and his need to always be professional.

Flash tried to look for a friendly face in the crowd, but didn’t recognize anypony. Instead he stood to the side and let his thoughts wander.

He found himself thinking back to the morning with Cocoa. His ears dropped and felt sad thinking of Cocoa’s reaction. He had said it was fine at the time, but it still hurt when Cocoa had flinched away from him.

Flash realized that this train of thought wasn’t taking him anywhere productive, so he switched over to a different topic: Shining Armour. Flash hadn’t seen him since a year ago, but they had kept in contact through letters. Shining had told him all about how he had loved his placement in Manehattan and was learning a lot. Flash felt some resentment as he had no such grand experience in Dodge City.

Those thoughts were also not helping.

In an act of desperation, Flash let his thoughts wander to the first topic it could think of. Mangos. His brain went immediately to mangos.

Great, now he was hungry.

“Private Flash Sentry.”

Flash shook himself out his thoughts and trotted over the pony who had called him.

“Follow me,” the mare stated.

Without another word, the pony trotted through the nearby door and Flash followed closely behind. After several more corridors, they both came to a dark wooden door.

The mare knocked crisply.

“Send him in.”

The mare nodded to Flash to give him the go ahead.
The Flash trotted forward and opened the door. On entering, he immediately felt his claustrophobia kick in.

The room was small. The walls were covered with maps and cork boards filled with pinned reports. The room was illuminated by a single light on the ceiling and there was a small bookshelf and file cabinet in the corner.

A large wooden desk took up most of the space along with two chairs. One chair was on Flash’s side of the table, and another was on the other side where a pony sat. Presumably Captain Blue Charge.

The Captain was exactly as Flash had pictured him. An intimidating, no fun pony with a dark blue coat, and dusty violet mane tied into a ponytail. He was dressed in gold armour with a purple trim that noted his rank as Captain. He was surprisingly not camouflaged as the other guards in white, but he might have just deactivated it for this occasion.

He was looking through some papers in front of him and spared Flash a single glance, “Sit.”

Flash obeyed and sat quietly without saying a word. He was uncomfortable as the extended period of silence and his growing urge to scream from being confined in the room was not helping in keeping him calm.

Thankfully, Flash didn’t have to wait long as the Captain finally looked up at him.

“Private Flash Sentry?” Flash nodded, “You were placed in Dodge City for your one year of training?” Flash nodded again, “What did you think?”

Flash paused. He wanted to say that the other guards were a bunch of lazy layabouts that can’t do their job and the city was an awful garbage fire of pony misery, but thought that might be a little unprofessional.

“It was adequate, Sir.”

Captain Blue snorted, “Bullshit, Private. Say what you mean.”

Well, if he asked for it.

“I bucking hate that city, Sir.”

The Captain laughed, “There we go, that’s more what I was expecting. Care to be more specific?”

Flash took a breath, “The smog is awful, you can’t fly or you get fried to a crisp, crime is rampant, the ponies there suck, and the guards are a bunch of lazy useless ponies that couldn’t due their job if their life depended on it,” Flash pondered then added for good measure, “Literally.”

“How blunt,” Captain Blue smiled approvingly, “But I can get behind that. Especially, as I agree.”

Flash blinked, “You do, Sir?”

“The Princess had sent Steel Bastion to get proof that the entire guard branch needed to be replaced for exactly what you just said, though that isn’t your problem,” The Captain shuffled a few papers and picked one up, “How fast can you fly?“

Flash kept his groan internal, “Because I’m a ‘big pegasus’, Sir?”

“No,” The Captain glared, “Because I asked how fast you can fly.”

Flash increased his respect for the Captain by several notches and replied, “Fairly fast, Sir. I don’t have any exact numbers or comparisons.”

“‘Fairly Fast’ he says,” Captain Blue snorted, “You caught a pegasus falling out of the sky from a standstill over a hundred feet away. That’s a lot more than ‘fairly fast’.”

Flash forced himself to not grin at the praise. He was happy that he was being recognized for his efforts, but Cocoa had been pointed in saying that nopony likes a gloater.

“You seem to have a record of disobeying your superiors,” Blue grabbed a page from the stack on the table, “Here it says that you had took down a pickpocket without permission from a commanding officer.”

Flash fought back the involuntary growl, Cocoa would be so proud of him later, “The thief was right in front of me and I felt a need to act.”

“Your sense of justice is good, but you need to wait for your superior’s orders. They could have seen something different from you such as an accomplice or an unknown danger,” The Captain said sternly then lightened up, “Of course, it was probably a good call. The retired Lieutenant Windup was happy to sing your praises for returning the picture of his late wife back to him.”

Flash blinked, he hadn't realized that the pony was previously part of the guard, “He was in the guard, Sir?”

“Before your time,” Captain Blue smiled, “Well respected.”

The Captain then grabbed another loose piece of paper off the table. Flash was wondering if the Captain purposely spread the papers all over his desk just to appear busier than he was.

The Captain frowned, “Why did you hoof wrestle with timber wolves?”

Flash dropped his ears and grinned sheepishly, “That was due to Sergeant Steel Bastion, Sir.”

“Ah, he had you doing his weird lumberjack workout,” Captain Blue nodded, “How much do you lift?”

Flash thought back to his training with Steel, “Uh, how much is four trees, Sir?”

“If we’re measuring based on Steel Bastion’s standards, I’m going to put you at ‘pretty damn high’.”

Flash grinned inwardly. He was doing well, or at least he hoped so. Captain Blue Charge seemed great and Flash was sure he would get a decent posting with how the meeting was going.

The Captain shuffled a few more papers on his desk and then settled on a seemingly random sheet form the stack.

“Iron Wall, huh?”

Flash felt his stomach drop. Why was he being brought up?

“What about him, Sir?” Flash said, hopeful that his dread wasn’t showing on his expression.

The Captain scanned through the document, “Dishonourably discharged from the guard by the Princess herself after multiple cases of sexual assault and one large case of foal abuse of an unspecified nature. Nothing listed about what happened to the foal except for an adoption request form the Sparkle family roughly ten years later,” The Captain looked up and stared at Flash, “Sound familiar at all, Private?”

He couldn’t know. He couldn’t. Celestia had been clear that Flash’s name was struck from the record and nothing could be traced back to him. Flash had to beg the Princess to have this done as he didn’t want that pony being able to affect anything he may have wanted to do in the future. The only way Captain Blue could know is if he knew the pony in question or had done digging himself.

It hardly mattered as Flash refused to acknowledge that pony’s existence or that he had even had any relation to himself. Flash didn’t know where he was or what he was doing, but Flash secretly hoped that he may have died from being buried under a mountain of bits.

It would have been karmically appropriate.

Thankfully Celestia had told him exactly what to say in this situation, “It does not, Sir. I have never heard of or met a pony,” Flash had to force the words out, “by the name of Iron Wall.”

It felt vile saying that pony’s name. Like a rotten mango. Something sweet that had slowly become nothing but bile over time.

“You’re not going to tell me are you?” The Captain stated.

Flash stayed silent.

The Captain stared at Flash a moment longer then sighed, “The Princess wouldn’t tell me either.”

The Princess always put her little ponies first.

“Well, Flash,” The Captain said conversationally, “Barring your past, which really doesn’t matter in the long run as we judge you on your merit, you will be assigned to the palace guard.”

Flash blinked. The palace guard. THE palace guard. That was the most coveted position among all newly graduated trainees and Flash was being offered a position in that?!

“The palace guard, Sir?” Flash said excitedly, “Really?”

The Captain smirked, “Yes, you show promise, so I’m offering you the position. You want it?”

“YES, SIR,” Flash shouted as he gave a salute.

He thought it was appropriate for the moment.

The Captain laughed at Flash’s enthusiasm, “Then I expect you back in the main hall by nine hundred hours tomorrow morning. Dismissed.”

Flash gave one more quick salute and skipped out of the office. He didn't even care anymore. He was in the palace guard and that was literally the best case scenario.

Flash was looking forward to giving the news to Cocoa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flash was correct in his assumption that Cocoa would be ecstatic. When told the news, Cocoa had literally pranced around the house in giddy excitement. Flash, delighted at Cocoa’s out of character moment, joined in the prancing.

Additionally, as a reward for a job well done, Flash got one of the forbidden hazelnut bar and more cuddles then Flash could handle. Actually that was lie, Flash could never have enough cuddles.

In the morning, Flash donned his armour, correctly the first time for once, and trotted off to the barracks.

On arrival, he was greeted by the mare from yesterday.

“Pretty swanky, Big Pegasus,” the mare grinned, “Palace duty right out of training.”

Flash gave a huge grin in response and bounced on past the front door. He wasn’t even bothered by his new nickname.

He followed the purple line as before and found himself back in the main hall. There were ten guards milling about, and, most importantly, Shining Armour.

Shining, at that time, was looking stoically into the distance and trying to seem quietly contemplative. Flash knew for a fact that he was either thinking about a mare or the newest issue of Power Ponies.

Flash trotted over to Shining and called out, “Hey, Shiny.”

Shining was startled out his inner thoughts on how Radiance was the best power pony and then noticed Flash coming towards him, “Hey, Flash! Good to see you, BBFL. Haven’t seen you since you left for Dodge City,” Shining took in his size, “And geeze you’ve been working hard apparently. What did you do?”

“Hoof wrestle timber wolves,” at Shining’s confused expression, Flash added, “Long story. Anyways, what are you here for?”

Shining puffed out his chest and proudly stated, “I got recruited to the one and only palace guard,” Flash could hear the ego dripping out, “Try not to be too jealous Flash.”

Flash fought to keep his laughter suppressed. He could tell Shining that he had also joined the palace guard, but it would be way more fun to let him find out for himself later.

Before Shining could ask what Flash was doing there, Captain Blue Charge entered the room. All the guards in the area saluted.

“Alright you lot, follow me. We’re getting you outfitted today for the palace guard.”

All the guards, including a bouncy Flash Sentry and stoic Shining Armour, followed after Captain Blue Charge. It took a moment for Shining to notice that Flash had trotted along with him and he got a panicked look in his eyes.

“Flash, what are you doing?” Shining whispered fervently, “You can’t come with us.”

Flash decided to play dumb, “Why not?”

“Because this is only for ponies in the palace guard.”

Flash gasped loudly, this was going to fun, “Sweet Celestia, Shiny. I didn’t even realize,” Flash furrowed his brow in worry, “What should I do?”

“Just stay calm,” Shining said sternly, “I’ll try and handle this. I’m sure if I just explain that it was an honest mistake, they’ll just let you go with a reprimand.”

“Oh, thank Celestia, Shining,” Flash breathed a false sigh of relief, “What would I do without you?”

“Be an arsonist,” Shining deadpanned, then smiled brightly, “But it’s fine, since I am here. It’s what best friends do for each other.”

Shining looked proud as he trotted with determination; ready to put himself on the line to help Flash out. Flash was actually feeling kind of bad. Here was his friend, being so selfless and trying to help a fellow buddy out, and Flash was just setting him up for a joke. Maybe he should stop?

Ah, Tartarus no. This was going to be great.

The group soon arrived in one of the barracks many armouries. It was a long room filled to the bring with all manner of weaponry and armour. Flash was excited to see a halberd on one of the racks.

“Line up, Privates!” Captain Blue barked.

The guards lined up in a row, stood at attention, and awaited further instruction. The Captain then began grabbing sets of golden armour and hoofing them over to the new guard.

When the Captain gave a set to Shining and readied to pass over Flash’s, Shining spoke up.

“Sir,” Shining stated clearly with confidence, “There has been a mistake.”

The Captain stopped and turned to look at Shining, “And what is that?”

“My friend here,” Shining gestured to Flash with a hoof, “Accidentally came with us. He didn’t know this was for the palace guard so I ask that you don’t punish him but, instead, let him return to his duties.”

The Captain quirked an eyebrow as Shining stood proud and brave in defense of his friend. He looked to Flash whom was trying really hard not to burst out laughing.

The Captain threw the last set of armour to Flash who caught it easily.

“Here’s your armour, Private Flash Sentry,” The Captain smirked, “Try not to pull one too many jokes on your friend here. He seems real gullible.”

As the Captain trotted back to the beginning of the line, Flash gave Shining his best shit-eating grin. Shining had his head hung low, ears back, and was glaring at Flash with disdain.

“Glad to have you back,” Shining grumbled, “You jerk.”

“Glad to be back and making your life more fun, Shiney Hiney,” Flash replied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was Flash’s first week in the palace guard. He was excited. He was in the most coveted position among the new recruits. He was beginning the prime time of his life.

He was also really really really bored.

Turns out, most of the time the palace guard just stood around and pony watched.

Everyday it was a new location to stand around and watch. Flash had gotten good at being silent and he hated being silent. The only thing that made it bearable was how happy Cocoa was for him, how good he looked in white, and the constant noise all around him that kept him sane through his shift.

Really, for such a big place, there were a lot of ponies always galloping back and forth. Though ‘galloping’ might have a bit too strong of a word as most them skid, crashed, and slammed into every wall possible.

No wonder they glued all the breakables down.

Also for such a simple job there were a lot of rules. Like a lot.

Don't move from your position. Always be at attention when on duty. Always salute the Princess as she walks by. Don’t talk to anypony. Don’t talk to the other guards. Don’t play games. Dammit Flash, don’t play games.

As shocking as it was, Flash had found an easy way to pass the time.

Play games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was early morning and, as per usual, Celestia was trotting on her way to day court. Flash noticed her sigh heavily as she always did in the morning. He always felt bad with how many petitioners she had to deal with everyday. He was also not overly fond of how many of them just assumed Celestia would give them money. They didn’t even ask nicely!

Entitled jerks.

Anyways, Flash had a great way to cheer up the Princess.

A fun game of Hanging Joke.

Flash saluted in perfect form as the Princess trotted by. After she had gone a few steps forward, Flash quickly said, “I stayed up all night yesterday, trying to figure out where the sun went.”

Celestia stopped and turned around to look at Flash.

She blinked, “Did you say something?”

Flash continued to salute.

Celestia shook her head and then continued on her way.

Several hours later, she returned the same way she had come. Her flowing mane was slightly frazzled and she once more gave a deep sigh. She looked positively exhausted.

Once more Flash saluted as she trotted by.

When she had again gone a few steps forward, Flash then said with great gravity, “But then it dawned on me.”

Celestia stopped. It was a slight tremor at first but it soon became heaving gasps for air as Flash was treated to the rare occurrence of Princess Celestia laughing her ass off.

“That... is the dumbest thing... I have ever heard!” Princess Celestia gasped out between laughs, “And I deal… with nobles!”

Flash nodded with a smile.

He had done his job.

Sort of.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Blue Charge was rushing past. Or at least Flash assumed, he was currently upside down playing another round of Spot the Difference.

It was actually really cozy being upside down with his back against the wall.

The Captain was about to keep going, but stopped and trotted back.

“Another one of your games Flash?” He glared.

“Spot the Difference,” Flash stated simply, “How can you always tell who’s who? I can never tell which pony is which when they have their enchantments on.”

“For most, it takes time,” Captain Blue said evenly, “For you, just look for the biggest pegasus in the room and then see if he’s doing something stupid.”

Flash nodded his head, “Right, I’m not exactly hard to spot.”

Flash frowned, or he supposed smiled at Captain Blue from his position, “You want to know something really dumb, Captain?”

“Besides you right now?” Captain Blue quirked an eyebrow, “Sure, what?”

“Twenty-three ponies have passed by me today and you’re the first one to notice I was upside down.”

The Captain was silent a moment as he slid his jaw side to side. Flash had noticed he did that when he was aggravated or deep in thought.

“That is dumb.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was hard for the Captain to stay mad at Flash. Flash was able to perfectly recall every pony that passed by, in order, roughly at what time they galloped by, and be able to give details on both their appearance and what they were doing at the time.

It was impressive to the Captain and why Flash got away with doing his little games.

The other members of the guard were not so lucky.

Two ponies had been moved to a different division when they hadn’t been able to remember anything throughout the day.

Three other guards left on their own complaining that the job was ‘stifling’ and the boredom not ‘worth it’. Flash found it a little hard to disagree, but still stayed strong.

One stallion had run screaming, having finally snapped after standing so still for the third day in a row. That one was at least entertaining.

Another guard thought he was the talk of the castle and had started passing around rather savage rumours about everypony. Captain Blue Charge had torn a strip out of him and thrown him into a low ranking job in another city. He didn’t take kindly to those who would harm others needlessly.

That was nothing compared to the two guards Flash had stumbled upon who were quite busy with a soft pink mare between them who looked to be enjoying herself quite thoroughly. Flash felt bad listening to the Captain rail on them. He didn’t even want to think about what it was like being the target. Those two had been discharged from service permanently for obvious reasons.

That had left five guards: Flash Sentry, Shining and three others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Congratulations,” Captain Blue said with a smile of pride, “You have passed your first week as the palace guard.”

There was a quick cheer among the ponies at the table. Flash nudged Shining in side, who was grinning widely.

“Tomorrow we’ll be going over your rotations and other duties,” Captain blue declared, “You can take the rest of the day off to celebrate. Dismissed.”

As the Captain trotted away one of the guards, a large forest green earth pony mare with a short lime green mane and cutie mark of a dollop of sap, slammed her hooves on the table.

“You know what we should do?” The mare said excitedly.

Flash, getting caught up in the excitement of the mare’s voice, replied, “No, what should we do, Pine Sap?”

“We should-” Pine sap started.

“No,” Shining interrupted, “We are not going out drinking.”

Pine Sap whined, “Aw, come on, Shiny!” Shining cringed as he only let family and close friends call him that, “Don’t be such a drag.”

“Yeah, Shiny,” Flash interjected, “Don’t be such a downer.”

“A wet blanket,” Pine continued.

“A jerk in a shirt.”

“A stuck up noblepony.”

“A-”

“Enough!” Shining slammed his hooves on the table as Flash and Pine gave each other hoof bumps across the table, “Seriously, Pine Sap. I’ve never gone drinking with you, but you have a reputation in the guard for drinking,” Flash paused as he thought about that statement, “Which is impressive considering this is your first real week as a guard.”

Pine Sap pouted, “Aw, come on. I can’t be that bad.”

A mauve unicorn stallion with white spots, shaggy violet mane, and cutie mark of a wisp of smoke, snorted, “You are that bad, Pine Sap,” Pine glared at the unicorn, “Remember the incident at the Big Barker?”

Pine snorted indignantly, “That wasn’t my fault! That stallion grabbed my flanks. He deserved it.”

“And the riot after?” The unicorn glared.

Pine Sap huffed, “Okay, I didn’t mean for that one. But, come on Silver Mist! I won’t misbehave this time.”

“Doubt it,” Silver stated, “You can’t go a day without causing a massive scene.”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” Pine said indignantly.

“Exactly what I said,” Silver growled.

Before Pine could reply, a cream yellow earth pony stallion with a peaked brown mane and cutie mark of a set of scales, situated himself between the two of them.

“Hey, hey, guys,” the stallion said pleadingly, “No need to fight. I’m sure it would be fine if we went out to celebrate. Just maybe somewhere with no alcohol.”

Pine sighed, “Well, I’d prefer some drinks, but I guess that’s okay.”

“I suppose that will suffice so long as I’m not stuck in another bar brawl,” Silver begrudgingly agreed, “Must you always be so reasonable, Status Quo?”

Status smiled warmly, “I try.”

“Well, probably for the best we don’t go drinking,” Flash said, “Honestly, I’ve done way worse than Pine has ever done.”

Pine snorted, “I doubt that Flash. I’m a trotting disaster.”

“Oh no, he’s right,” Shining said with a faraway looking his eyes remembering several buried experiences with Flash, “Everytime heavy consumption of alcohol is involved with Flash, it usually ends in fire, covered in some sticky substance of unknown origin, or both.”

The other guards looked askance at Shining.

Status finally voiced the question on their minds, “I’m sure it doesn’t happen every time.”

Flash grinned at Shining and Shining couldn’t help but shiver slightly as he replied, “Once is an odd occurrence, twice is a coincidence, but thirty-seven times is a guarantee.”

The other guards stared at the still grinning Flash. They had thought it was a cheery smile, but they soon found themselves feeling malicious intent and a message that clearly stated: ‘I will buck up your life’.

Silver coughed into his hoof, “Right, so dinner with no alcohol present?”

There was a unanimous consensus of yes from all the guards present. Nopony wanted to know what would happen if they went drinking with Flash Sentry.

Flash decided to not tell them that he didn’t drink anymore. It was more fun that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“... And then I threw a bucket of sap on the both of them and said ‘guess that’s as close to sticky as you’ll get with him!’”

There was a chorus of laughs from the others and a snort from Silver as they trotted down the main thoroughfare to a restaurant by Shining’s recommendation.

“I don’t see what’s so funny about what you said,” Silver grumbled, “You just threw sap on them.”

“Uh, Silver?” Status asked tentatively, “Did you not get the joke?”

Silver blushed and muttered darkly under his breath. Flash, as a good friend and enjoyer of another pony’s discomfort, leaned in and whispered what the joke meant. Silver turned a bright shade of pink.

“T-That’s highly inappropriate!” Silver spluttered.

The others laughed at his expense.

“I didn’t know you were so innocent Silver,” Shining grinned, “Thought for sure you were the ‘well-travelled’ type.”

As Silver retorted about stallions with loose morals, Flash noticed, out of the corner of his eye, a flash of pink.

Flash stopped in his tracks and took note of the bright pink mare with a cherry red mane tied into a bun. She wore an expensive dress that immediately pegged her as a member of the nobility.

The nobility didn’t usually go out among the ‘common ponies’ as they called them - the stuck up jerks - but the direction she was going made Flash narrow his eyes in suspicion.

“Hey, Flash,” Flash turned to see Shining calling out to him where the others had stopped when they realized he wasn't with them, “What are you doing?”

“Do you recognize that pink mare in the expensive dress?” Flash asked.

The others, curious, trotted over to Flash and looked at the mare in question.

“Pink Saffron,” Status said, “She was the mare those two morons had slept with at the palace.”

That was where Flash recognized her. Good set of legs but had nothing on Flash’s hot hunk of a colt friend.

Shining gave a contemplative frown, “It’s odd to see a noble out among town, but I don’t see why you’re so concerned about her.”

“Well, it’s just,” Flash furrowed his brow, “That direction she’s going; isn’t towards the Canterlot mines?”

The others blinked in surprise and watched as Pink Saffron turned down another street. It was indeed a road leading towards the abandoned mines.

“Yeah, it is,” States narrowed his eyes suspiciously, “Kind of weird for a member of the nobility to go there.”

“I know, right?” Flash said, “Aren’t they off limits?”

“They are,” Silver stated, “Extremely dangerous and unstable. She shouldn’t be going there.”

All five ponies stared off after the mare until Pine finally said what was on their minds, “So we’re going to follow her, right?”

There was a unanimous consent of ‘Oh Tartarus, yes’ and they all began to tail their quarry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All five of the off duty guards had followed Pink Saffron to what they had correctly guessed: The Canterlot Mine. Without missing a beat, Pink had trotted past the many ‘Off Limits’ signs and straight in.

The group came up from their hiding place behind a bunch of rocks and stared after their quarry. Flash wanted to say it was difficult and dangerous, but Pink had proven to be very oblivious even when Pine had let out an obnoxious sneeze. It was like she was some noble pony that couldn’t be bothered to pay attention to the ‘common rabble’.

Oh, wait, she was.

“Well, this is suspicious,” Flash said.

Shining turned to Flash and gave him his best ‘No, duh’ look.

“So what do we do now?” Status asked.

All five ponies stared at the entrance. It looked dangerous. Flash remembered from his history lessons in ages past that the mines were unstable as ponies didn’t know how to properly drill tunnels at the time and it was rumoured - never confirmed - that Celestia had been a little dynamite happy.

From what Flash knew of the Princess, he was more certain that it was a fact.

“We report this to Captain Blue Charge,” Shining stated.

“Why?” Pine asked, “This is the most exciting thing that's happened to us since we entered the guard.”

“Not for me,” Flash helpfully added, “My most exciting moment was catching that pegasus dive bombing out of the sky with his wings burnt off back in Dodge City.”

Pine scrunched up her muzzle, “How does that even happen?”

“Easy,” Flash happily said, “Just go flying in Dodge City during the day.”

Pine mulled over her thoughts then cringed, “Okay, well that’s disturbing,” Pine then changed back to the original topic, “Still, Shining, why can’t we deal with this?”

Shining took on his stern ‘I’m going to tell you what’s up, noob,’ face - an expression Flash was particularly not fond of - and said, “Because we have no weapons, no armour, no backup, and we’re off duty. We are not prepared to handle this if something bad happens.”

“Actually we don’t have to worry about being off duty,” Status interjected, “The handbook specifically states that a guard may perform their duties out of uniform so long as the situation is considered to be dire enough.”

Shining grumbled, “That… is true, but I hardly think a noble mare wandering by herself into a mine is ‘dire enough’.”

“Isn’t it though?” Flash inquired.

Shining furrowed his brow, “How is that?”

“Well, it probably wouldn’t be good if the mare got buried under rubble,” Flash grimaced, “And that we were standing right outside when it happened.”

Shining was quiet a moment then swore, “Aw buck, I hate it when you’re right.”

Flash grinned, “Don’t worry Shining, I’m wrong most of the time.”

“Thank Celestia,” Shining turned to Silver, “Silver? Your special talent is an invisibility cloud, right?”

“It is,” Silver raised his eyebrows in surprise, “I was unaware you knew that.”

“I listen a lot,” Shining stated even though Flash knew that Shining had a bad habit of digging into other ponies’ lives, “Any limitations?”

“It’s not soundproof,” Silver said, “We can see each other when under the cloud, but we have to stick close. It also has a time limit and will dissipate in a strong breeze.”

Shining nodded, “Alright, then cast the spell and we’ll head in.”

With no further acknowledgement, Silver’s horn let out a silver glow and mist began to envelop the guards. If Flash had to be honest, he found unicorn magic uncomfortable. The way it thrummed in the air and made his fur stand on edge caused his claustrophobia to act up.

He was not fond of that feeling.

Pine gave a whistle of appreciation when the group was fully enveloped in the mist. Silver nodded at the compliment.

“Alright, team,” Shining furrowed his brow in concentration to focus on the task at hoof, “Let’s go.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flash didn’t like the mines. The entire inside was rough rock with rotting timber posts intermediately place throughout that groaned and creaked as they all passed under them. Flash tried to not think about how pinned in he felt or how this was what stopped Canterlot form collapsing in on itself.

He was definitely getting a lot better at handling his phobia since he didn’t feel the urge to scream.

The group followed a string of surprisingly operational lights in the direction that Pink had went. They soon heard voices.

One voice was rough and jeering and the other was the clipped and sophisticated tones of Pink Saffron. Flash thought she sounded like she kept a stick up her butt.

Shining turned to the rest and nodded, then moved his hoof in the guard gesture for sticking close. The rest nodded and, tentatively, they all trotted forward.

They came to a wide open chamber filled to the brim with wooden crates. Five ponies beside Pink were standing at ease around the room. They were the rough sort, with brightly coloured coats that didn’t match their heaping muscles and a large amount of scarring.

There were two average sized pegasi, at least when compared to Flash, one bored unicorn, and two really big earth ponies. Flash was sure they were easily around Steel Bastion’s size. It was impressive.

The group stood in the entrance to the area and quietly listened in on the conversation.

“That’s the last of it, Mrs. Saffron,” one of the earth ponies, presumably the leader as Flash doubted Pink would bother talking to anypony else, “Ya’ sure nopony else knows about all this sugar?”

Pink sneered, “Of course not, Hard Rock. Nopony ever comes into the mines, with how dangerous they are.”

The earth pony, Hard Rock, nodded, “And you have distributors?”

Pink smiled, but Flash found it… predatory, “Yes and soon we’ll be rolling in bits from selling all this sugar.”

Hard Rock laughed.

“I don’t think they’re selling sugar,” Pine Sap whispered to the others.

Silver glared at Pine, “No duh, Pine. Nopony would go through this much trouble to sell off some excess sugar.”

Status leaned over to Shining and whispered, “Shining, what do we do?”

Shining bit his lip in thought, “We need to leave. I don’t like the looks of those goons and we are not equipped for this.”

Flash was proud of Shining. Everypony seemed to have designated him as their leader and Shining was handling it well. Flash also agreed, this was way over their heads and they weren’t prepared to handle this.

And then Flash felt intense pain.

The pain caused him to seize up and Flash bit down hard on his mouth to stop from crying out. He pushed through the pain and identified the source: his cutie mark.

That was bad. That was really bad. If his mark was acting up that meant they were in danger. Flash focused again trying to get his mark’s message.

HIDE.

Flash noted his position and saw an opening behind some crates nearby. He was on the end of the row and didn’t know how much time he had until whatever the danger was happened.

He lined up his shot then, using his bigger size and the advantage of surprise, he tackled the entire group into the opening.

When they recovered, Shining turned to Flash to ask what the buck he thought he was doing when a howling wind blew through the tunnels.

Pink Saffron screamed in alarm, “Sweet Celestia, what was that?”

Hard Rock snorted, “Scared of a little wind?”

Pink glared, “That was hardly little.”

Hard rock grunted, “It happens every so often because of the shoddy work down here. Created a natural wind tunnel.”

Pink hmphed and declined to add any more.

The guard on the other hoof were attempting to stop themselves from swearing loudly.

Their invisibility had just been blown away.

Buck,” Pine furiously whispered, “Silver, please tell me you can recast your spell.”

Silver frowned, “I can’t. They’ll see the glow or that unicorn will sense me using magic. They’ll spot us before I could finish casting.”

Status had his brow furrowed in worry, “This is really bad isn’t it?”

Pine and Silver met Status with looks of fear and all three turned to Shining. Shining, however, was looking at Flash. Flash was staring back, but was having trouble meeting Shining's gaze.

“How did you know?”

Shining had used the tone. He only used that tone when he wouldn’t tolerate Flash’s bullshit and wanted a straight answer. It was a tone that made it clear that Flash was going to tell him or there was going to be Tartarus to pay. It was the tone Shining had used when he found Flash sleeping in a gutter. It was the tone that usually made Flash cave in.

I’m sorry Shiny, but not this time.

Flash stayed silent.

“Flash,” Shining glared, “I’m your best friend, but I start getting real pissed when you pull your bullshit secrets game on me.”

Flash shuddered, he hated not being able to tell him. He wanted too. He wanted to trust him, to think it was fine to tell him, but…

You can only get burned so many times.

“I can’t, Shining.”

Shining took a forced breath, “Why?”

“The Princess told me not too.”

Shining was surprised, “The Princess? Flash, what did you do?”

It was painful to get the words out, “It wasn’t what I did, it was what...”

Flash choked on the words. Shining finally clued in. It was a family matter. It was matter to do with him.

Shining had several expressions flash across his face before he finally settled on sympathetic, “Okay, I won’t pry. It’s not the time, but you’re telling me later after we get through this.”

Flash nodded then cringed as he felt another burst of pain, “We need to hurry. We’re running out of time.”

Shining bit back the urge to demand why and instead got down to business, “Okay, we don't have many options here. If Silver can’t get us covered again then we’re going to have to deal with them.”

Shining turned to Silver, “Can you take down the unicorn?”

Silver bit his lip as he mulled over his options, “I know a sleep spell, but I’ll need to get close.”

“I’ll make sure the other targets are handled,” Shining moved on to Pine and Status next, “Can you take care of those pegasi? We’ll be at a disadvantage if they get lift off.”

Pine gave a vicious grin, “You count on me to knock one of them down. Nopony is faster than Pine Sap when she gets going.”

Status took a deep breath and nodded to himself, “Yeah, I can take the other one.”

Shining nodded and finally turned to Flash, “Up for teaming up and taking down those earth ponies together?”

TAKE ON BOTH. THE UNICORN.

“No,” Flash said firmly, “You take on Saffron, I can handle both of them.”

Shining glared, “You’re going to take on two earth ponies that size by yourself?”

“And you’re going to ignore the other unicorn in the room?” Flash countered.

“She’s a noble, Flash. She-”

“Pretends,” Flash leaned in closer to Shining and added as much seriousness in his tone as he could, “Shining, they pretend. Don’t make assumptions about the nobles or you will regret it.”

Flash would know. He had too many personal experiences with them not too.

“... Alright,” Shining agreed begrudgingly, “But please be careful,” Flash nodded then Shining turned to the others, “On my signal, we charge.”

The group waited. There was a pause then Shining nodded his head. The guards rocketed out of their hiding spot.

Focusing on the task at hoof, Flash bull rushed Hard Rock. He rammed into his chest and felt the satisfying sound of Hard Rock wheezing and crumpling to the floor.

Flash ignored Pink’s ear splitting shriek. He focused on his mark.

ON YOUR RIGHT.DUCK.

Flash dropped to the ground as the other earth pony kicked his rear legs towards the spot Flash had previously been. Flash used this to his advantage and toppled the pony from his precarious position. He gave a good buck to the pony’s face and was satisfied when the pony was knocked out cold.

Hard Rock, at that point, had gotten up and was shaking the residue of Flash’s tackle off.

STAY.

Flash sat down and, just to be cheeky, grinned mockingly at Hard Rock. This had the desired effect of having him charge at Flash. Hard Rock’s attack was stopped, however, by a stray burst of pink magic that caused him to freeze in midair. It was a suspended animation spell, and, in Shining’s own words, was impressive.

“Good job, Flash,” Shining trotted over and dropped a magically chained up Pink Saffron that was spewing a stream of unladylike obscenities.

Actually, a lot of those were impressive. Flash made a mental note to write them down later.

Shortly after, three sleeping ponies were unceremoniously dumped next to the others. Pine, Status, and Silver were both breathing heavy but had satisfied looks on their faces.

“Well, that went well,” Flash chirped.

“Of course it did,” Pine exclaimed confidentiality, “We’re amazing. Especially me.”

Silver groaned, “Can you be any more egotistical?”

“Nope,” Pine grinned.

Status giggled and looked over the nearby crates, “So what’s all this ‘sugar’ really?”

Flash trotted over to one of the crates and opened the lid. It was filled with a large amount of some white grainy substance.

“Looks like sugar,” Flash took a sniff of the air and scrunched up his nose, “Doesn’t smell like sugar.”

Shining trotted over and took a peek in the crate. His eyes went wide and he quickly closed the lid back down.

“Flash, of course it wasn’t sugar,” Shining said, “It was cocaine.”

Flash blinked and remembered his drug studies back at the academy, “Oh.”

He then found his brain connect the dots and remembered an incident from Dodge City, “Oh! That’s why I got that apartment for so cheap. The previous tenant was arrested for smuggling crack, not sugar.”

Shining just stared dumbfounded at Flash, “How could you have possibly thought he had got arrested for possessing sugar? Actually, no, it’s you. I don’t want to know your twisted thought process.”

Shining turned to call out to Status, “Can you run back to Canterlot and get the guard so we can deal with this mess?”

Status gave a quick salute and galloped off.

“Alright, guys,” Shining nodded his head, “Let’s see if we can find something to tie these ponies up.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flash opened the door to his home. His home. He was exhausted and ready to crash for the night with his obligatory Cocoa cuddles. He never missed the cuddles.

He yawned loudly and noted the time. It was well into the evening. The debriefing had been long. Turns out, they had busted up a staggeringly huge smuggling ring and it had taken forever to answer all the questions being asked in the after mission review.

They also got reprimanded fairly heavily for being so stupid as to go into the mines for all the reasons Shining had noted when they started.

They had also been congratulated for truly exemplary work. Especially on the part of Shining's leadership during the mission. Something Flash, Pine, Silver, and Status all gushed about during the debrief.

The hardest part was when the group had talked about how Flash had acted during the mission. Specifically, the moment when Flash had pushed everypony behind the crates and when he had taken on two earth ponies by himself. The Captain wasn’t impressed when Flash kept deflecting and answering in vague, indirect ways.

Shining also hadn’t looked very happy about it.

After the debrief, Flash promised Shining that he would talk about it with him when he was ready. Shining had begrudgingly agreed, but had been adamant about saying that he would always be willing to listen.

Shining was a good Best Bro For Life.

“Hey,” Flash called out, “Where you at Cocoa?”

“Living room,” Cocoa called back.

Flash trotted into the living room. Cocoa was sitting on the couch. Flash took in his giddiness and wide smile. Something good had happened that day. Flash was looking forward to hearing about it.

Then the pain in his flanks had started and Flash felt a cold pit in his stomach.

“Hey, Cocoa,” Flash forced a smile he didn’t feel, “How was your day?”

“Oh, it was spectacular,” Cocoa purred in that way he always did when he was feeling like bragging, “You won’t believe what happened.”

Flash gritted his teeth as the pain throbbed harder than before, “Well, don’t keep me in suspense then.”

Cocoa gave Flash the brightest, biggest smile, “I have been invited to help cater for the Summer Sun Festival in Ponyville this year.”

And Flash’s mark screamed at him. It never did this unless it was bad. Unless it was the worst possible outcome. Unless there was a chance he was going to lose something so incredibly important.

HE CAN’T GO.

Cocoa finally noticed Flash gritting his teeth and forcing himself not to scream from the agony. Sweet Celestia Flash hated the pain.

“Flash,” Cocoa asked concerned, “Are you alright?”

“DON’T GO,” Flash shouted.

Cocoa looked taken aback, “I… I… What? Flash I don’t understand.”

Flash forced himself to take a deep breath and focus on anything other than the pain, “Sorry, that came out wrong. What I meant to say was who invited you?”

“A noblemare by the name of Fine Pedigree,” Cocoa stood up with concern, “Flash please, are you alright? If you’re hurt-”

“I’m fine,” Or rather Flash would be, “You know, Cocoa. Do you really want to take a chance with a noble?”

Cocoa frowned in worry, “I-I… Yes? It is a rather big opportunity for-”

“You shouldn’t,” Flash interrupted, “Don’t make deals with noble ponies you haven’t learned more about.”

“I suppose, but Flash I really could care less right now-”

“Especially in the case of a favour,” Flash interrupted once more to Cocoa’s frustration, “you do not want to owe a noble pony.”

“Yes, I suppose that could come back to bite me in the flank, but Flash-”

“Then decline her offer.”

“What?” Cocoa had all been given up and was now simply staring in confusion trying to keep track of what was going on.

Flash fought through his rising panic and pain, “Decline her offer. You can’t get yourself involved with a noble pony that you don’t trust first.”

Cocoa stared at Flash, searching. He was desperately trying to figure out what was happening. Why Flash was acting the way he was. Flash for his part was fighting back unconsciousness and the roaring in his ears that was giving him a bad case of dizziness.

Dizziness might actually be Flash’s least favourite state now.

“I’ll decline,” Cocoa stated, “I’ll decline but please stop scaring me like this.”

Flash finally felt the pain ebb away and he knew it had worked. Cocoa would decline. He was confused and hurt and worried, but he would still be the most important thing to Flash.

Alive.

“It’s fine,” Flash grinned and Cocoa began to relax seeing his favourite colt back, “Though I bet I had an even crazier day than you.”

Author's Note:

Oh, my goodness, this chapter took forever, but I needed to set up a lot of stuff for the future and that strawberry scene had to be perfect.

Enjoy and see you next time ~!