• Published 30th Apr 2018
  • 3,134 Views, 193 Comments

Journey of the Lesser Lights - Chengar Qordath



Star Kicker is the newest member of the Lunar Guard, and she has a lot to prove. When Princess Luna takes her on an adventure to recover a lost artifact that belonged to an old friend of hers, she'll get her chance.

  • ...
20
 193
 3,134

Eclipsed

The return to Equestria hadn’t quite gone the way I’d imagined. Princess Celestia had been waiting for us when we got back to the royal palace in Canterlot, and she’d immediately taken Luna back to her chambers for a private conversation. I had no idea what they were saying, but I’d caught one or two muffled bits of raised voices. Maybe it was just Luna accidently slipping into the Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice, and not the two of them arguing. Yeah, that was probably it.

The two Solar Guards who normally sat outside Celestia’s quarters exchanged a look, then pointedly moved a bit further down the hall, out of earshot of the doors. I probably should’ve joined them, but I felt like I ought to stay close at hoof just in case Luna needed me. Besides ... this was kind of my mess too. I couldn’t just walk away because things were a bit awkward.

While I was waiting, I spotted a familiar face walking down the corridor towards me. The armor was new (or rather, extremely old), but the skunk-striped mane was never gonna change. I waved listlessly to my sister. “Hey Storm. What’s up?”

“Hello.” She settled down next to me. “We were in the area, and Her Highness heard you encountered some difficulty on your last mission. I thought you might like to see a friendly face in light of that.”

“Right.” I shot a weak smirk her way. “So who were you planning on sending by to be the friendly face?”

I caught a brief flicker of annoyance passing through her eyes, which helped my mood a bit. Messing with Skunky was always good for that.

Storm sighed in that way she always did when she thought I was being stupid or unreasonable, and put a hoof on my shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “Do you wish to talk about what happened?”

I mentally groaned at her stupidly formal way of talking. Anypony else would’ve said something like ‘You wanna talk about it?’, but that sort of speech was just too common for Lady Skunk. Shadow, she got on my nerves sometimes. “What’s there to talk about? We failed.”

“Failed?” Storm prompted.

I grimaced and tried to come up with a good way to explain. Stupid Skunky getting all nosy and bugging me about stuff I really didn’t wanna talk about. “It’s nothing major. Princess Luna just didn’t get what we set out to get.”

Skunky frowned at me, which made her look even more like a stinky rodent. “Nothing major, yet you are clearly out of sorts. How can I help?”

“I don’t know.” I shot a look at the armor she was wearing. Shadow’s Armor. “I don’t suppose I could borrow that for a bit?”

Skunky hesitated, then slowly shook her head. “When last you attempted to claim it, Shadow judged you unworthy.”

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. “Yeah, well, from what I heard about it you only got to use it by exploiting a loophole. And didn’t your Princess Twilight change how the Armor decides who’s allowed to wear it since then?”

The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea. Things would’ve gone differently in Freeport if I’d had Shadow’s Armor. Hay, I could’ve made a difference, instead of just being stuck on the sidelines and then getting turned into a Shadow-damned hostage that Luna had to end up surrendering to keep safe. Sure, Skunky might’ve needed it once or twice, but while I’d been off fighting in Freeport she’d been sitting around helping her princess organize a basement. “You’re not the only one who needs it. What makes you so worthy all the time?”

Instead of actually answering me, Storm just let out another one of those ‘My sister is being stupid’ sighs. “Star, can we not do this?”

“Fine, fine,” I snapped. A second later I realized I was starting to sound way too pissed off at her, which just justified her treating me like I was being stupid and unreasonable. “Sorry. Things ... we had it. I had it. I had her back through the whole trip, but at the end of it she came back empty-hooved because of me. I let her down.” I groaned and told her the story. “We had to throw down with a group of Freeporters to get her relic back: a damn bug, a pegasus who says she used to be EIS, and one of the strongest unicorns I’ve ever seen. Like, she went hoof-to-hoof with Princess Luna and held her own for a few minutes. Luna was gonna win it, but then the bug and the spook took me hostage.” I grimaced, my head hanging at the memory. “Princess Luna stopped fighting, and we were pretty much kicked out of Freeport.”

“How did you get captured?” Storm asked, wrapping a wing around me.

I grunted, mostly annoyed at myself as I remembered it. “I was watching the fight. It was so stupid, but I mean, who could blame me? It’s not every day you see a princess throwing down with someone who’s almost in their weight class. I was so busy watching I let unknowns get close in an active combat zone, and...” I mimicked holding a knife to my own throat. “That was it. So much for making a good impression on my first big mission with the Princess.”

Storm listened carefully, then asked another one of her probing questions. “And what prompted the Princess to go to Freeport and start a fight with these individuals over a relic?”

“Because it belongs to her,” I answered simply. “Well, indirectly. It was looted from her friend’s tomb a few centuries ago by Nightmare cultists and then bounced around until a few Freeporters laid their own claim to it. Since the royal family Her Highness was friends with died out, the sword reverted to her.”

Skunky focused in on the most awkward part of the story. “This blade was stolen by servants of Nightmare Moon? That ... does rather complicate the entire matter. Especially if she had any direct involvement in the matter.”

I grimaced and reluctantly nodded. “She never said for sure one way or the other, but it sure sounded like they had help from her directly. They knew stuff that only she could’ve told them, unless it’s just an implausibly big coincidence.” I sighed and ran a hoof through my mane. “If I had to guess, it sounds like Princess Luna wanted to reclaim it to set things right as much as making sure they didn’t get to hold onto a really nice sword.”

“Ah,” Storm said as if that explained everything. “So it was a matter of redemption.”

“In part, yeah,” I agreed, my shoulders slumping as the full implications sank in. “So now I not only dropped the ball in the fight, I derailed her attempt to redeem herself.”

Storm shook her head. “No, that is not the problem. I think you forgot one of the most important rules: it is a royal guard’s duty to protect her princess from any possible threat. Sometimes that includes protecting the princess from herself.”

I frowned at her. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I thought my remark clear enough,” Storm answered levelly. “From your description, your princess had her judgment compromised. There are few things that can undermine a pony’s judgement as much as guilt, and Princess Luna has no shortage of that.”

I groaned and buried my face in my hooves. “Shadow, you sound like Dad. Look, even if you're right—and you’re not—that sword’s still a powerful relic that belongs to Princess Luna. She doesn’t need to be emotionally compromised or anything to want to take back something that belongs to her.”

“True,” Skunky conceded. “However, it is equally possible that she was blinded by guilt over her actions as Nightmare Moon.”

“She was fine,” I growled. “I’m the one who screwed up.”

“I do not agree,” Skunky insisted.

I’d had just about enough of her and her stupid opinions. “What would you know? You weren’t there! This is a little different than planning for a panic attack because the library’s books are all alphabetized instead of being sorted by the Royal Canterlot Library system! I know what I was doing, Storm, and I know what I saw!”

Skunky crossed her forelegs over her chest. “Do not bring Princess Twilight into this. I was simply pointing out a number of relevant facts.”

“No you’re not!” I snapped. “It’s just your opinion on a mission you weren’t there for with a princess you barely know! It’s not like I asked you for your stupid opinion anyway!”

Storm groaned and ran a hoof down her face. “I did not come here to argue with you.”

“No, just tell me how to do my job!”

“Star, I was just trying to—”

“I DON’T CARE!” I roared at her. “I don’t care what you’re trying to do, you’re not helping! You’re just being a big stupid skunk like always, so just take your armchair assessment and your skunk smell and your Chosen One armor and get the buck out of here already!”

Skunky flinched back. “Very well.” She took a deep breath, then slowly got up and walked away.

As Strom trotted out of the room, I noticed a midnight blue glow closing the doors behind her. I winced as I realized whose magic that had to be. Sure enough, when I turned around Princess Luna was standing in the doorway, looking me over with a faint frown. “Trouble with your sister, Lieutenant?”

Oh horseapples. Had I really just yelled at Storm right in front of Princess Luna? Way to work on my already damaged reputation. “Oh. Um ... so you heard that?”

The Princess sighed and took a seat next to me. “One of the issues with having spectacular hearing is that you often overhear conversations without even meaning to.”

I slumped down on the bench, wishing there was some way to sink down through the floor so I could go back to my room and hide for a few years. Out of all the embarrassing things I could’ve done, getting into a fight with my sister right in front of Princess Luna was pretty close to the top of the list. “Oh. Um, sorry about that, Your Highness.”

She leaned back against the wall, her eyes turning upwards. “It is quite alright. It was a private family matter between the two of you. I owe you an apology if anything, and for more than merely overhearing a conversation between siblings.”

I wasn’t sure what to make of that. “What do you mean, Your Highness?”

Princess Luna sighed heavily. “I must apologize for the events of the last few weeks. I dragged you into a situation that put you in no small amount of danger.”

I shook my head. “You did what you thought was right, Princess.”

“Perhaps, but evidently what I thought was right was not.” She scowled and grumbled under her breath. “As my sister was so ready to tell me.”

I flinched at the confirmation of my fears. “Yeah, it uh ... well I wasn’t trying to listen in, but it sounded like there was a bit of a disagreement.”

“That is one way to put it.” Luna let out an annoyed huff. “She took me to task for my actions in Freeport. She is ... most displeased with me.” She ran a hoof through her ethereal mane. “I will be losing my adventuring funds for some time to pay restitutions to Freeport for my actions. What is more, the Crowns are giving up any current or future claims to the blade of Silver Ankh—neigh, I fear it must be Chainbreaker now. We will save a bit of face on that front by getting Freeport to drop a few of their old claims regarding the actions of our pirate hunters centuries ago, but ‘tis far from an equal exchange.” She grimaced as her ears drooped. “Finally, my sister expects me to make an apology to Archon Sunset. In person. And it is to be sincere.”

“Oh.” From the sound of things, Celestia had come down on her really hard. Sure, technically they were supposed to be equal rulers, but Celestia was still the older sister. Not to mention that the whole Nightmare Moon thing was still fresh enough in everypony’s memory that they felt better with Celestia having at least some authority over her sister.. “Um ... sorry, princess.”

Luna sighed and shook her head. “No, she ... has a point. I let myself become too enthusiastic in my efforts to retrieve Chainbreaker. As loath as I am to admit it, I went too far. Breaking into a museum was not one of my wiser decisions.”

I felt obligated to speak up in her defense. “You were just trying to recover something that belonged to you.”

“So I told myself,” Luna murmured. “But look at what it caused me to do: attempted theft, lies, and assaulting a mare who is both the leader of a nation we seek to build ties with and whom my sister views as something of a surrogate daughter. As my sister put it, at some point in that chain of events I should have stopped to question whether I was truly making the right decision.”

I bit my lip, wondering about a few of the messier details about our mission. “Um, about what that changeling magus said...”

The Princess’s teeth clenched, and she let out a frustrated sigh. “There ... that is probably the truth.” She slowly rubbed the side of her head. “My memory of my time as Nightmare Moon is not always clear, especially when it comes to events so long ago. However, the facts align in such as a way as to suggest that it is likely I played some role in the theft. Indeed, for me to somehow be uninvolved raises far more questions than if I am the guilty party.”

Damn. That’s what I’d been afraid of. Maybe Storm was right that I should’ve said something about it to her. Sure, I didn’t know that she’d been involved, but I’d had enough facts to at least ask the question. Shutting down that line of thought out of loyalty to my Princess had seemed like the right move at the time, but maybe if I had pushed her on it I would’ve kept this whole mess from happening. “Um ... I’m sorry, Princess.”

“The fault does not lie with you, Lieutenant. I feared as much as soon as I learned of Hidden Facts’ involvement, and in hindsight I wonder if I subconsciously recalled my guilt from the very beginning. Regardless, it seems my attempts at atonement have only created a bigger mess.” She ran a hoof down her face. “The Archon is not the only one to whom I owe an apology; Silver Ankh’s spirit deserves to know the truth. I can only hope that hearing his sword became such a powerful symbol to an entire nation will grant him a measure of peace. If nothing else, he should be reassured to learn that his blade has not fallen into evil hooves.”

“Yeah, that makes sense.” I was no expert on ghosts, but if the guy’s spirit was restless because his sword had been stolen, letting him know it was in good hooves should be enough to let him move on. From what little I knew about the topic ghosts were usually supposed to be hanging around because they had unfinished business, and once that business was taken care of they moved on to ... well, wherever it is ghosts go.

Neither of us said anything for a while after that. When Luna finally broke the silence, it came with a slight shift in topic. “It is never easy to face one’s own mistakes. Many ponies would sooner die than admit that they were in the wrong. And the matter is not helped by my sister being the one pointing such things out. Even if she—no, especially when she is right. Though I believe you know that all too well.”

Oh goodie, looks like the conversation was coming back around to me and Skunky. This would be fun. That said, when it came to dealing with big sisters... “Yeah, I get that.”

Luna nodded gravely. “I was certain you would understand my feelings. If you will forgive me for making suggestions regarding your private life, I think you should make an effort to seek harmony with your sister.”

I ran a hoof down my face. “Yeah, well, easier said than done.”

“Something I know all too well,” Luna murmured. “My sister and I often do not see eye to eye. We love each other deeply, but we also have a way of irritating one another to the point of arguing over even the smallest of things. Though we are family, we are also very different ponies with very different worldviews. Normally that is but a minor inconvenience, but...”

“Yeah, I know how that goes.” Skunky and I had always been very different. Hay, there’d been one or two times when I’d gone out of my way to be different from her. When Skunky got big into opera and classical music, I deliberately started playing rock and pop as much as I could just because it was the most un-opera music I could think of. When she started acting more and more polite and formal, I responded by getting super-casual. Not that I was deliberately changing myself just to be different from her, but ... I dunno. Mom would probably say it was just one of those weird sibling things.

Luna cleared her throat. “Still, do not let your discord simmer. Such things can poison the relationship between the two of you if the minor quibbles grow too harsh or happen too often. It is normal for siblings to disagree with one another, but...”

I groaned and rubbed the back of my neck. “Yeah, I don’t—I mean, Storm’s a big stupid ugly stinky skunk of a pony, but ... she’s still my sister.”

Luna smiled and nodded. “Indeed so, and that last fact is far more important than all the previous ones. Family is one of the most precious things in the world. And ... sometimes we must do things we do not enjoy to maintain our families.” She fixed me with a rather pointed look. “Like apologize for things we have done.”

I grunted, thinking back to how my last chat with my sister had gone. In hindsight, maybe I’d been a bit too hard on her. After all, she was trying to help in her own stiff judgement skunky way. And I’d been pretty nasty to her, mostly just because I was in a bad mood after how rotten the last few weeks had been. Which meant... “Dammit, I’m gonna have to apologize to Storm.”

A faintly amused smile pulled at her lips. “In my experience, it is better to see the matter through than to let it linger, however unpleasant it might be in the short term. Like ripping off a bandage, as the modern phrase goes. There are worse fates than apologizing to one’s elder sister, even if it is a damnable one.”

I grinned weakly. “I dunno about that. Apologizing to my big sister is pretty much a textbook case of a fate worse than death.”

“Mmm, quite,” Luna murmured. “But do you want to answer to your parents for why you are not getting along with your big sister?”

I groaned and flopped back on the bench. “I’m not ... It’s not like I’m not getting along with her. We just butt heads every once in a while. It’s not a big deal.”

“Like me and my sister often do?” Luna prompted.

“Exactly,” I agreed. Then I thought about it for a moment, and remembered exactly whose sibling dynamic I was comparing myself to. Especially when I was the younger sister who sometimes resented and felt overshadowed by her stupid popular overachiever of a big sister. “Oh. Um, that’s...”

Luna regarded me with a knowing smile tinged with just a tiny bit of old pain. “As I said, discord between siblings can be a poison. Let too much of it seep in and fester and the results can be catastrophic. A few words spoken in anger might matter far more than you realize. Do not let one failed mission be what destroys the bond between the two of you.”

Considering the terms she’d just put everything in, there was really only one answer I could give. “Will do, Princess.”

Luna nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer. “I hope my words have helped you in resolving your current troubles. That is one of a princess’s duties to their subjects.”

“It’s been a big help, Your Highness.” I was about to go take care of that when I realized there was still one bit of unfinished business. “Sorry about messing up back in Freeport, Highness.”

“Do not concern yourself with it.” Luna waved my words away. “Even if I had succeeded in taking Chainbreaker from the Archon, my sister doubtless would have insisted I return the sword at once in addition to the other conditions imposed upon me. And besides, the sword is naught but a construct of metal and magic, and far less valuable than the life of a single loyal guardpony.”

“Thanks, princess.” I took a deep breath and squared my shoulders. “I won't let you down again.”

“You did nothing of the sort,” Luna assured me. “It is I who failed you by placing you in the situation to begin with. It was a battle that never should have been fought, and as such there was no true way it could end in victory. And do not forget your contributions in other fields. Without your help I might never have found the sword to begin with, and you played no small part in helping me escape from that fiendish trap within Ankh’s tomb.”

“I guess.” I grimaced and shook my head. “Still, I feel like I should’ve done more in the fight against those Freeporters.”

“We all wish that we could do more than what we are capable of.” She placed a hoof on my shoulder. “I realize it can be difficult for my guards to stand aside when I battle a dangerous foe, but you were wise to stay out of the way. You lacked the strength to challenge the Archon directly, and in all honesty all you could have accomplished would be to burden me with the task of protecting you or limiting my options for attacking her.”

“Yeah, that’s what they always say about Code Gold situations.” I slumped back down in my seat. “Still, feels wrong to sit it out. I mean, that Archon was just a normal unicorn and she kept pace with you.”

A hint of a smirk played at Luna’s lips. “Though my pride compels me to point out that I was firmly winning our battle, her performance was ... respectable. That said, I do not think the Archon of Freeport and the former student of my sister qualifies as normal by the standards of unicorns. Judging by what my sister has told me of her she is a most unique mare indeed. And, if you will forgive me for saying so, one who is far more capable in battle than you.”

I grimaced, but it’s not like I could argue the point. I knew when I was massively outclassed. “So I guess that means you’re not going to fire me or have me reassigned for failing this mission?”

Luna snorted and shook her head. “I never once considered replacing you. Even if you insist upon taking a measure of the blame for our failure in Freeport, I am the last pony who should judge another harshly for a single failure. None of us are perfect. You have served me loyally throughout this affair, and I would be most pleased to have you continue in my service.” She shot me a rather pointed look. “I do hope you do not intend to request another assignment.”

“The thought never crossed my mind,” I assured her. Luna was my princess now. Maybe she wasn’t a perfect one, but she was one I’d sworn to serve. I wasn’t going to step away from that lightly. Or at all.

Well, not unless she turned into Nightmare Moon again. That would be kind of a dealbreaker.

I cleared my throat, and tried to get back into being a proper royal guard. I might not be Storm, but I still had standards. “So ... was there anything you needed, Your Highness?”

“Yes, could you retrieve some paper and my writing instruments.” She grimaced and confessed. “It seems I need to write a letter of apology to Archon Shimmer so that I can have the opportunity to apologize in person when she arrives in Canterlot. My sister invited her for an official state visit to smooth over any ... wrinkles my activities might have caused.”

“Goodie.” I might have accepted that we weren’t one hundred percent in the right on our trip to Freeport, but that didn’t mean I had to like seeing the Freeporters again. Especially if I had another run-in with Strumming Heartstrings. Once had been bad enough, and I had a feeling she was kind of the pony who’d make a point of seeking me out while she was in the area. “Anything else, or is that it?”

Luna frowned in thought for a moment, then shook her head. “Once you see to that, you are free for the rest of the day. I have been demanding quite a bit of your service lately. And, more importantly, I believe you need to have a talk with your sister.”

“Right. That.” I sighed. “I don’t suppose you could send me off to do something less painful than apologize to Storm? Maybe send me to the dimension of torture demons?”

“If you would prefer visiting their dimension to apologizing to your sister, proper torture demons would simply compel you to make the apology,” Luna pointed out dryly.

“Hadn’t thought of that, but you’re probably right.” I sighed and mentally girded myself for the unpleasant awkwardness of admitting that for once Skunky had been right, and I’d been wrong. I suppose it wasn’t the worst thing I’d have to deal with. At least I knew I had a good princess backing me up if I ran into any trouble.

A thought occurred to me. “I guess you had to apologize to Celestia, right?”

Luna was silent for a long moment. “I can hardly ask one of my guards to do something that I am not willing to do myself.” She paused a moment, then added under her breath, “Eventually.”

I tried to keep a straight face, but I’m nowhere near as stoic as Skunky. Then Luna snickered, and I lost it completely. That set her off as well, and soon the two of us were laughing like a pair of lunatics.

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aidan Hall
Albert Wen
Alt Grendel
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
ColdSilverD
Combine
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
Errant
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Guldane
Jessica T
nfreak
Patrick
Ponibius
Shank
Singularity Dream
Sweet Gale
Sylvain Colinet
Trinary
waritah
Web of Hope
Zennyth

Comments ( 70 )

Will Silver Ankh’s spirit ever rest in peace without the sword?

.... Yeah, I don't think I'd be apologizing to Sunset, personally. If I was Luna, i think I would be if anything more than pissed than ever at Celestia responding to my actions by "docking my allowance." Luna is either your equal or your servant, Celestia, but she can't be both.

And the situation with Storm is, honestly, I feel just as much a screwup on Storm's part as anything else. Nothing she said was wrong, but - speaking as somebody who's been kicking around for a few years now and has had time to pick up some People experience - there's a time and a place for blunt honesty. Storm should have been able to recognize that Star was tense and angry and resentful and bitter as hell at the moment, and give her some space to let those emotions to subside a bit. Confronting someone with criticism immediately after a bad screwup, no matter how well-intentioned that criticism may be, is never going to end well. You have to let tempers cool first.

(And I know it's been a little while in-story, but within context, Storm immediately walked up to Star quite literally clad in armor of I'm-Better-Than-You and proceeded to tell her all the things she'd done wrong. That's a novice mistake.)

This was a fun story. It was interesting seeing more of how Star feels about Storm getting the Armor, as well as raising a lot of questions regarding some of the new rules. Definitely cool seeing Luna talk to Star about her relationship with Storm. Star’s right, you really can only agree when Princess Luna of all ponies is telling you about the importance of maintaining relationships with your sister. All in all, another great story from a great author!

Kapuchu #4 · May 30th, 2018 · · 1 ·

I can't help but feel bitter at this turn of events. I see the logic behind it, but I don't think it's right. Because Luna tried to get something back that belongs to her, she is now forced to irrevocably give it up to those who stole it. It's a turn of events that comes because of Luna being impatient and a bit reckless, but the sword is still her rightful property. That she's forced to give it up is a massive slap in the face to her. Like Tinandel said above, Celestia is treating her like an inferior here, not an equal (which they are supposed to be, after all, no?).

Failed attempt at theft and all, this could be solved if Sunset chipped the top of off her mountainous pride and ego. Amend the history of the sword so that it tells the swords entire history, acknowledge Luna's ownership of it, but otherwise let it stay in Freeport. I can't see any problem here that wouldn't be solved if they did that. Everyone would be happy. Luna would own it, Freeport would be in possession of it, and Silver Ankh would know that the sword is in good hooves.

8957027
If not for tempers flaring and Luna making some bad decisions a compromise of some sort certainly would’ve been possible. Alas, sometimes characters have flaws and make mistakes rather than being perfect logic-driven automatons.

Kapuchu #6 · May 30th, 2018 · · 2 ·

8957035
Was that last, condescending bit really necessary? I know characters have flaws. I also realise why this happened, it's easy to see where things went wrong. But that doesn't make it illegal to be annoyed that the characters that irritate me end up with a perfect victory, and get to be smug because "Hah, your thing is mine now".

I don't like Sunset. Her arrogance ticks me off. That she gets off scot-free gets on my nerves even more. Your story has a logical sequence of events, so it's not as if I'm saying you did something wrong. Rather, it should be considered a compliment that your story and characters can get your readers as irritated as I am right now. I'm simply expressing my dislike of one of the characters, and saying that if she were less arrogant things could've been different even after Luna's fiasco of a "retrieval attempt."

8956973
Maybe he'll get to start haunting the museum now that he knows where it is.

Welp, so much for Silver Ankh resting in peace. What's one more ghost cursed to wander the world, leaving that sort of thing unsolved never causes long-term problems.

He should go set up shop in the museum.

8956973 8957053 8957097
Luna did indicate that telling Silver Ankh what happened to his sword would probably let him rest easier.

8957050
Apologies if it came across as condescending, that was not my intent.

8957148
Ah, no problem. Also, I realise my initial comment could have been seen as whining about you not writing the story I wanted it to be. It's not that, but simply a matter of me being annoyed on behalf of a character. It happens when you get invested in stories :derpytongue2: Wouldn't be the first time.

8957035
Sorry I really don't like how this story ended. Expected a long story and only four chapters and leaves me hating both Sunset and Celestia more. Luna had full right to ask for what is hers. They insulted her and now she has to give it up forever. Again Tia doesn't see both sides of this issue and blames only one side of this endeavour. Tia, step down, seriously step down, you are unfit to rule.

So...I know that technically the story's right to point this all out and that lines were crossed and certain ponies took things too far...but darn it, I still kinda wanted Luna to win out on this one, or at least get some worthwhile victory out of it, even if only to spite the Freeporters and nothing more--they were being entirely too smug about it, and karma suggests that it would've been more satisfactory if they had gotten taken down a peg too.

But I digress. :rainbowlaugh:

For someone who hasn't read all the other entries in this little universe of fics, I certainly enjoyed it. Maybe I'll have to find the time one of these to sit down and read a few of the others...but time for that another day. :twilightsmile:

8957161
It sounds like while she was crazy, she gave the sword away to Ubasti(?) who then donated it to Freeport after his death.

But even without that, there's the concept of adverse possession. It's not universally applied to personal property as opposed to land (where it is I think?) but the basic idea is that if you're 'openly and notoriously' claiming ownership of something for a certain period of time and the owner doesn't move to take it back, then they've given up their title and you become the owner.

And this is, like, the textbook case for why you'd want a law like that.

8957172
There is the possibility that she might have told the Warlocks about the tomb and how to get past the traps she was aware of herself (not confirmed, but it's possible, or probable as Luna admits), but even if that's true she couldn't have given the sword to them, or Silver Ankh would have been pissed at Luna/at least mentioned it. He mentioned that it was a coven or warlocks who stole the sword, not Luna herself who retrieved it.

As to that law... It applies in any scenario but this, I think. Luna had no possible way of knowing the sword was not still where it belonged until she was freed from NMM's influence. So she couldn't possibly have laid claim to the sword. In such a scenario it's entirely unreasonable for Luna's claim to be forfeited when she had no chance whatsoever, to make her own claim known. But since such a law is never mentioned, and Sunset only ever mentions something vague like the limitation of statute of theft, which isn't really a law per se, I don't think.

8957172
I think it’s more likely that Ushtabi stole the sword, claimed it as his, and then Torch Charger eventually claimed it during the revolution without ever knowing it had any previous owner besides Ushtabi. I can say for certain, but that’s what I feel was sort of implied.

8957172
Note Luna couldn't for 1000 years, another likely fault of Tia. As soon as she learned it was not in it's proper place and went to ensure it's safety. And despite Sunset's efforts Freeport isn't the saddest place especially keeping a magically powerful sword in a museum.

Also I remember a story where a guy found a beat up SUV. He spent time, effort, and money to repair it. Only to discover it was stolen a d had to return it. Same can apply to the sword.

8957161
Setting aside the legitimacy of Luna’s claim to sword, I don’t think it was unreasonable for Sunset to refuse to give it up since Luna basically showed up to a foreign nation unannounced, and then basically said “Give me my stuff back you stupid pirates” all without providing any tangible proof that the sword was actually hers. Which is pretty important when you realize that Freeport has had it for nearly a millennium and no one ever thought it had any connection to anyone outside of Freeport. And when demands and insults (to the leader of a major trade ally) didn’t work, she committed several felonies and could havevery nearly started a war. She didn’t really give them any incentive or good reasons to let her have it.

8957211
Sunset equally made mistakes. Just dismissed the claims and allowed Until I to insult a foreign leader. And despite Sunday's efforts Freeport does have evaporated rep and for good reason. Sunset never considered the old claim at all. A big mistake.

Oh and Tia revoking Luna's adventure fund. So much for equal rule and yet another sign of her tyranny.

Yeah, this was definitely a fiasco. I really hope they manage to sort things out better when Sunset visits Canterlot. At the very least I see fun discussions in the future.

I’ve been trying to figure out who Strumming reminds me of, and it hit me. Dinozzo from NCIS, only as an antagonist! They’ve got the whole thing where you don’t know where they’re coming from, they’re pushing all the buttons, and incredibly competent under it all, or BECAUSE of it all. Like when Dinozzo tricks the director of Mossad.

8956973
We’ll see, but it’s definitely possible.

8957217
Again, Luna didn’t provide any reason for Sunset to consider her claim as legitimate. She just showed up, demanded the sword, and then tried to steal it when that didn’t work. Like Sunset said, she can’t just hand over a National treasure just because a foreign princess demands it. And I don’t think the possibility of the sword getting stolen is too much a problem. As far as we know, it’s been safe in that museum for the last few centuries and only taken out when it was needed. I mean, they successfully repelled an attempt to steal it by an alicorn princess. Those Freeporters aren’t going to part with that sword easily. As for Luna not having equal authority to Celestia, as Star said that seems to be more the result of public opinion rather than Celestia not wanting to share power. I mean she has been the sole sovereign ruler for the past 1000 years. Luna’s only been back for less than a decade at this point, and ponies still seem to remember the whole “attempted casual global genocide” thing.

8957188
Letting people press thousand-year-old claims is never a good idea. Maybe that would change if both parties were immortal but probably not!

And the implication was that she sent them to get the sword (and the other artifacts that might have been in the tomb). She didn't personally hand it over but they were acting on her behalf.

8957238
In a world where immortals don't exist, sure it's a bad idea. In a world where they do? Then it's something else entirely, I would say.

As for the implications: Merely implications. We don't know if it's for certain. Maybe she did send them to retrieve it/informed them of how to get past Luna's own traps, or maybe she didn't. I think it's wrong to simply assume that it's the truth when there's no certainty.

8957230
yet Sunset also has no way to disprove Luna's claim. If she was willing to consider parting with it if proof provided. Yet she was very dismissive and Kurki out right insulted Luna, who did come politely and considering it's a nerco based sword and has been used for bad in the past means it has not been in that museum all that time. Hell we have no idea how long it's been in the museum. Clearly Sunset used it at one point. Luna was acting on behalf of the pony she gave it to and she who made it have equal rights to that sword. Now, Celestia, proving she's a tyrant after all is forcing Luna to give up her claim on it because Susnet was unwilling to consider Luna's claim at all.

8957188
There’s really not a lot of legal precedent for this exact scenario, since real-world law doesn’t really have a clear parallel. Especially since Nightmare Moon’s involvement adds a whole other layer of messy complications to the whole thing. I imagine someone could make a fun legal drama out of the whole setup: Do Luna’s acts as Nightmare Moon diminish the legitimacy of her claim? How responsible is she for the theft? Does the amount of time passed and intervening history weaken her claim, or are those trumped by the fact that Luna made her claim as soon as she was able to? And so on...

Actually, if someone wants to do an AU where it becomes a big legal drama instead of an action scene followed by some international politics, go for it. You have my blessing.

As far as this story is concerned, a lot of the legal questions became moot thanks to the practical issues of international politics and public perception. Nightmare cultists being involved in the sword’s theft pretty badly taints her claim, and trying to steal it rather than pursue a legal or diplomatic solution is not going to look good. Far better to resolve the matter quickly and quietly before it blows up into a big mess that nobody wants to deal with, especially when Celestia and Sunset want their respective nations to get along. That makes “let’s have our nations drop all our historical claims and grudges against each other and call it even” an imperfect solution, but one that got the job done.

8957260
You can’t prove a negative. Sunset couldn’t provide anything that would definitely prove it wasn’t Silver Ankh’s, but Luna didn’t provide any evidence that it was. Which is kind of important when you’re trying to claim something that has belonged to and been the greatest national treasure of an entire nation that really doesn’t want to give it up. And we have not been shown or told of the sword being misused. Everyone who has ever wielded it seems to be considered a hero in Freeport. The sword wasn’t a necromancer’s sword (save for Ushtabi), it was made of necromantic artifacts that were melted down explicitly to prevent them from doing harm again. And Kukri only started acting rude to Luna after Luna started being very rude to Sunset and said some rather offensive things about Kukri’s home.

8957282
I would read that story. And yeah that was pretty much my view on the whole “ who gets what” argument.

8957282
Great the expense of Luna and again proves Tia has become a tyrant.

8957295
This Sunset shouldn't dismiss Luna's claim. She screwed up and it lead tiissyes. Not surprising considering who her mother is.

Great story can’t wait for the next one

I don't want to be mean man, I love your stuff, but this might be my least favorite of your stories so far. Several characters behave much different than we've seen in the past, Luna kind of makes a 180 in her stance on who is in the right, and we're only told why instead of shown, making it really hard to relate to why she just caves to Celestia, nor why Celestia has the ability to cut the funds of her supposedly equal sister. Though admittedly that budget thing might be more confusion on my part than an error. But still. The lack of any real insight into the conversation between Luna and Celestia makes this outcome pretty unsatisfying. Instead of a resolution to the conflict we get 'Welp. We're in the wrong because Celestia says so.' And Star pitying herself. No matter who was in the right, the way it turned out was really unsatisfying to me. This is all just my opinion of course, I think the vast majority of your stuff is awesome. This story just feels like a rare miss among many hits.

“Right. That.” I sighed. “I don’t suppose you could send me off to do something less painful than apologize to Storm? Maybe send me to the dimension of torture demons?”

“If you would prefer visiting their dimension to apologizing to your sister, proper torture demons would simply compel you to make the apology,” Luna pointed out dryly.

:rainbowlaugh:

Wow. That sure is some debate. :twilightoops: All told, I think this is one of the better possible approaches to resolving the mess of the previous chapter. Cutting off Luna's adventuring funds might have been an overstep on Celestia's part, but Luna herself went into the wrong the moment she decided a freaking museum heist was the best of course of action for a national leader on foreign soil. She has to remember that she can't afford to be a jaunty murderhobo; she speaks with Equestria's voice. Her political techniques and global awareness being more than a millennium out of date don't help. It would've been nice to get a more concrete sense of the diarchs' discussion, but the story is tied to Star's perspective. Besides, given the parallels drawn between princess and guard, it seems safe to assume that the sibling conversations worked out in similar ways too, if only in broad strokes.

Storm had some very salient points, especially about protecting Luna from herself as she continues to reacclimate, but her sense of timing definitely needs work. I can't help but think that Twilight might have to step in with this one.

In any case, a fun little adventure for two little sisters. I was expecting something of grander scope at the start, but I'm left satisfied. Thank you for it.

Glad that the Chapter came out soon and we had a Freeport crossover, sad that the story is over.

Man, did Luna put Celestia in an awkward position. Who does she honor: her sister, her co-ruler, or the mare she considers a daughter? Honoring Luna insults a trade partner and her daughter, honoring Sunset makes it look like Celestia caved to her daughter's wishes and undermines Luna's authority.

No wonder they had to compromise on such a level. Celestia likely had to point out to Luna that, as Luna told Star, a piece of metal isn't as important as family. Luna would have to stand by that or become a hypocrite. As much as Luna hates it, letting go of a possession, even if it truly is hers, isn't worth it destroying family and creating unnecessary conflict with another nation.

So Freeport gets away with theft of a national artifact by a necromantic warlock, insulting and goading a national leader, attacking a national leader and forcing her into combat, taking a royal guard hostage by restraint and lethal force, making demands which can't be met (how would it even be POSSIBLE for Luna to show some kind of document proving she made the blessed thing? Sunset had to know that), and just generally being disrespectful outside of all that and tried to leverage consideration for overactive pirate hunters centuries ago - which would not have happened were Freeport not a hive of pirates, thus really that is also Freeport's fault for being the criminal capitol of the world - it's not as if it a legitimate and honorable nation was slighted.

On top of that, Freeport now gets a formal apology and total claim to a powerful weapon which was never theirs to begin with, a rather large chunk of change (not even necessary, likely just Sunset using this situation to pump Equestria for coin like a pirate) and regardless of being told "probably help the ghost rest better" doesn't definitively say to us "this knowledge for-certain will free the ghost's spirit", so potentially leaving an ancient national leader trapped in the mortal world which is beyond grievous and disgusting of Freeport. Sunset will probably be taking Strumming and Kukri with her to this state meeting anyway, while Luna will be treated like a child (forced to apologize to someone who let their subordinates mishandle and mistreat her), and Sunset - who is a child compared to Luna, will be treated like an adult and likely her two lackeys who caused this whole problem to begin with will no doubt find some way to take potshots at Luna.

I will follow along with most of the Winningverse no problem, but I see that not having gotten into the Freeport chronicles yet was for the best. This is one of the most disappointing endings to a story I've seen in a long time, and the ending sets the tone retroactively for the whole story. All we get out of this story about Star and Luna going on an adventure is that Sunset rules and Luna sucks and was bad, even though Sunset's side went too far to start with. You treat a national leader with respect unless you want war - the fact Sunset allowed her people to disrespect Luna and then dismissed her so casually shows she's abusing her connection to Celestia since she knows Celestia won't want to go to war with Freeport. Utter tripe. Luna trying to steal the sword was wrong, there can be no doubt even though it belongs to her, but she is not the one who made the first wrong move, and was further provoked.

Then Storm, who should understand her sister better than most anyone, pushes all her wrong buttons in a bad way, and gets an apology for it. Intention is important in conversation, but delivery is paramount because people are not mind-readers. Wanting to comfort her sister, but instead just showing up wearing the armor that makes all the other Kickers of her generation feel unimportant and lackluster, handing out "this is why you were wrong" as a speech. I don't understand why these characters had to be this way.

I'm not even being biased here. I love Celestia and Sunset as characters, I have been in opposition to Luna fans since mid-2011. I get that the lesson was that Luna needs to adjust to the modern world better and Star needs to be able to help guide her in doing that, protecting her from herself, but the setup was wrong for this lesson, because everything points towards Luna being in the right, or at least more right than those who refuse her, and in the end she gets a smack and Sunset gets a headpat. It doesn't sit right with me at all.

8985502
Leaving aside the rest, asking for evidence that allegedly stolen property is actually stolen and the legitimate property of the one making the claim is pretty much step one in any stolen property claim. The idea that Luna should get to take another state’s national treasures purely on her own say-so with no corroborating evidence or proof of her story is ... not how reclaiming allegedly stolen property works.

If the President of France walks into London and says the Magna Carta belongs to him because one of his ancestors made the parchment the document is written on, he’s not getting it no matter how much of a scene he causes.

8985449
I think the fact that the guy who stole the sword was working as an agent of Luna/Nightmare Moon at the time and was only able to do so because of specific knowledge she provided him makes her much more responsible for the theft that a nation the guy wouldn’t even be a citizen of until years after the crime. Especially since aside from Ushabti himself nobody in Freeport even knew the sword was stolen in the first place.

Maybe Luna doesn't get the sword now , but alicorns have plenty of time.

8985502
It’s worth noting that Freeport has considerably improved since the 1000 years that Luna last interacted with it. It’s not really a den of pirates and thieves anymore, but a major center of trade (and primary source of sugar for Equestria). It has its own long history and culture, which Chainbreaker is a big part of. And I think it’s difficult to make an argument that Sunset was wrong about fighting Luna. Even if you consider Sunset the aggressor, Luna was in the middle of trying to steal government property, had already incapacitated one of the museum guards, and technically assaulted Sunset’s personal apprentice and best friend. You can’t really claim self-defense when the person who hit you is a law enforcement agent preventing a felony in progress after giving her multiple opportunities to just leave. Also, as Chengar said, she didn’t really provide any substantive evidence that the sword was hers. She just sort of showed up, demanded a cultural artifact of Freeport, and when Freeport’s leader was understandably unwilling to part with said cultural artifact, Luna basically called them all a bunch of greedy pirates and outright said she expected Sunset to serve Equestrian interests. That’s pretty close to saying she expected Sunset to serve as an Equestrian vassal, which made Sunset and Kukri understandably upset and defensive. I would suggest you read the Freeport Venture series. In addition to being really fun, they might make it easier to understand who these characters are and why they act the way they do. (PS I feel it was kind of reasonable for Strumming to intervene since Luna was winning that fight, and even if she wasn’t going to kill Sunset, as an agent of Freeport Strumming couldn’t exactly let its leader get beaten up and its greatest national treasure stolen without at least trying to do something. And Star was technically still an enemy combatant in that scenario...)

8958469
It's less cutting off her funding and more a 'no allowance until you pay for the neighbor's broken window' situation .

8898346
Sounds like a list of the Taken... or maybe I'm reading too many Glen Cook books lately. :twilightoops:

8942854
Well, without Strumming treating her like shit and pushing just about every button that led to her becoming Nightmare Moon, Luna would have been in a better frame of mind to negotiate with Sunset, and the whole thing mightn't have ended up as an utter disaster. End of story... so not as "fun." Every single character trait Strumming has to separate her from a "blank canvas" is irritating to a greater or lesser degree because she's obviously meant to be an entertaining character, not a likeable one. Think Rick Sanchez, but nowhere near as smart.

8942887
Yeah, both Strumming and Sunset behaved in a way guaranteed to set off Luna. It was pretty much the opposite of diplomacy. Of the dozens of ways they could have handled the situation, pointlessly enraging someone who could flatten their city was nowhere near the smart choice. Just speaking strategically, turning any possible ally into an enemy without some equivalent or greater gain is the height of foolishness. Really, they're now completely dependant on Luna being extraordinarily forgiving... and mentally stable. Not a bet I would care to make. Even if Luna never takes any sort of overt action against the current government of Freeport, she will never be inclined to act in its favor.

And... I really hate to say this, but if Star had a shred of honor, she would resign her commission. She failed her princess is several critical ways, despite comforting lies from her sister. If I had an officer like that under my command, I would immediately reassign her to a non-critical posting.

But this is fiction, and incompetence and disasters make for fun reading, right?

I have to be honest... this, and the story Ponibius is doing with Sunset visiting Ponyville are both undermining my enthusiasm for the Freeport series, largely because in the intervening years the characters have apparently grown worse in regards to their bad habits. Sunset has not seemed to have improved at all in her problems with pride or ego. Strumming, a character that I have repeatedly defended, also seems especially worse for wear. I usually see her role as an annoyance as serving the purpose of keeping Sunset’s ego in check, but here it seemed to be just to cynically escalate a situation needlessly. And Kukri is simply entirely unpleasant.

None of them have learned any friendly habits, humility or diplomacy in the intervening years... the whole batch come across as unpleasantly arrogant. I was not on board the journey to see Sunset’s arrogance justified in the long run, myself. I wasn’t really looking forward to seeing her succeed in her quest, but rather to see her realize that she was questing for the wrong things.

But with that gut reaction out of the way, let me say that I quite liked the interactions of the core duo and the travelogue nature of the story itself, and I wasn’t entirely sure that I would before reading because Star hadn’t done much for me before. It was a clever thing to compare the two younger sisters and build their relationship from that aspect of their lives. Also, the core conflict of having the questing object be in a museum was a neat twist and some clever plotting.

Strumming was even more annoying than usual in this story. I really hope we get a story where we see her face actual consequences for her constant insults and incessant snark.

8986290
sorry CHegnar that is BS. proof, Luna can just summon the Twin and note you have Kurki antangonizing Luna to a huge agree. that is not diplomacy at all and if Sunset is the leader she should be she would have told Kurki to shut it. there could have been a peaceful way to solve the issue but in the end I really don't like this story's ending. hell it jsut proves the Tyrant Celestia claim.

9081664
Luna’s possession of Nightfall does not prove that she’s the rightful owner of Chainbreaker. At best, it proves that Chainbreaker was at one time the sword of Silver Ankh and lends credence to the rest of her story. But then, Freeport wasn’t likely to give up one of their national treasures even if she could prove every single aspect of her story. Her legal claim is pretty shaky due to sheer passage of time, and gets far worse once it comes out that she commissioned the initial theft.

Under the circumstances, Kukri accusing Luna of doing something she actually did hardly strikes me as unreasonable. Especially when the fact that Luna’s servants were the ones carrying out the original theft casts Luna’s demands for the sword in an entirely new light. “Luna’s a bit pushy about getting her old property back” is a very different story from “Nightmare Moon tries to rob a museum after sending her cultists to desecrate the tomb didn’t get her the sword.”

9081799
but there is no proof SHE gave the order and the fact Sunset allowed Kurki to say that to a representative of another nation is very poor diplomatically. If she was more cordial a compromise could have been made.

9082961

And there's reasons why those people are always at each other's throats over claims to this and that. Because there is rarely a clear 'who is right'. Yet this story says, plainly, Luna was absolutely wrong to try and reclaim stolen property and has her kicked around and manipulated by Sunset and her crew, and then kicked around by Celestia. I don't even remember if the ghost can ever find peace without that sword. It's ridiculous if he can't; forced into an eternity of manifestation, unable to move on, because of Freeport being stingy and proud despite apparently being Tortuga. Luna was, by the story so this is not speculation or headcanon, goaded by Kukri. Then betrayed by Strumming. They had a duel, Sunset made a fantastic showing of herself, but she was going to lose - and because she was going to lose, Strumming - employed by Sunset, intervened by creating a hostage situation, taking a member of the Royal Guard hostage with clear and present intent to kill. Would she have intervened if Luna was the one on the receiving end of that beatdown? No, and these are usually things which result in sanctions or war from the larger nation. In this case, Equestria. Instead we get "Bad Luna, how dare you upset Sunset. You're grounded and I'm giving your toys to her."

As I've stated, I have been an enormous fan of Celestia for seven years, and of Sunset since we got her, so normally I would be rooting for them on principle. But this just feels... wrong. Provoked/manipulated into a fight, betrayed with the threat of murder, and Sunset is the one who went lethal first in what started as a more restrained duel - but Luna's the one who's the worst person? Both were in the wrong, I'm not defending Luna in the sense that I think what she did was even remotely reasonable, but I am saying I completely understand where it came from. The problem, for me, comes in as the story is telling me that Sunset did a good thing and is rewarded for it and Luna did a bad thing and is punished for it - then also to find that she'll be forced to have to face Kukri and Strumming again, as guests - which conjures images of being forced to handle them being smug and snide whilst playing the good hostess, unable to express her own natural anger at being treated like that. Story tells me to accept that Sunset was good and Luna was the worst, and I disagree.

I absolutely love the 'verse. I do, it's either a top contender for my favorite 'verse in the community or at least a close second. But I am just not going to touch the Freeport stuff. I felt physically nauseous and upset after this story (extremely rare for me), if there's more of that in Freeport I'm going to become too bitter to enjoy something I otherwise adore and whole-heartedly support. As you might note, I am not saying in any way that you are wrong, just explaining what bothers me about the situation to be this vocal about it to begin with - you were very reasonable and even-tempered, and I appreciate that. But please, don't draw me back here again friend, it gets my blood pressure up. What I consider to be an injustice, even fictionally, usually winds up frustrating me to no end. My failing, of course, but still a reality to be dealt with.

9083096

Story tells me to accept that Sunset was good and Luna was the worst, and I disagree.

I’m not aware of my story saying anything like that. Sure, Luna made a mistake, and will make it right by helping repair all the damage she caused while robbing a museum. That doesn’t make her ‘the worst,’ just a person capable of going too far under difficult circumstances, realizing she went too far, and then trying to make it right.

The only reward Sunset is getting out of it is that Celestia agreed to the compromise solution she initially offered Luna before things went horribly wrong.

You know... there is a term for what Star is in clan Kicker.

That term would be one who is half heard. Its a decidedly cold method of the lineage questionable or middling road where your heard... but not listened. They greet you good morning, good night, but then just leave to do other things. And slowly but surely your lowered into the dark corner of a household to be a living ghost, walking solidly through life with none giving you a glance. The trouble is that its not used as a means of simply being rid of another but an act of shun, a way of motivation to atone and work into the family's good graces.

Star has done nothing wrong. Yes she went off with Luna, who gave the order. Her clan treats her worse then Storm, at least she doesn't feign affection. In order to function, a clan needs coherence, to be seen as your family, and be given the same due reverence. She reveres them, but Star is not one inclined to let them continue on like they are. Its bad enough to have Storm waving her shadow todger in her at every meet up then acting like she shouldn't be upset she works just as hard and at a disadvantage, achieves honor, but gets told "oh, thats so good for a unicorn."

Now, if any protest were made, why, what can you expect from a non pegasus! To understand the pegasus, one must remember that in their culture one constant: act like a foal, be treated as such. What occurs grows in severity between adults, and their actions and character, and foals, but its basically like facing the attrition of Keep Sick As Fuck: In unicorns and earth ponies, your sick, too sick to argue, and aside from some obligatory protest and occassionally weedling out some trade, you did as they wanted. But a sick pegasus foal is not them: I'm sick, I'm not some wuss so I wanna play, okay to sick for that but not enough for a nap, now I'm sick and pissed, and here comes that mean ogre mom/dad with some bottle and telling me I gotta drink it. No. A sick foal of their tribe will, inevitably, one day and in need of whats best for them but too stubborn to relent dig in their heels and not budge. And just as inevitably, in adults and foals,  one learns the best approach is "No. You will mind me, or else."

Or else being parent grabbing you by the scruff of your neck, holding you down, and shoving it down your throat and making you take it.

Being half heard for Star's case leaves few options. They might even be aware, but more then likely, they figure one day she'll just take off and they're rid a disgrace. Of course they'd wanna keep Cloud because... cloud hawk horse:?

And so, she has one choice: In Storms ascension to Honoramatara she seems to want to keep the status quote. But Star has the mental and emotional fortitude if lacking the discipline for high rank in the Guard. Not clan, Guard. In other words, she has to come a place of wielding the priviledge of rank and whack her clan up the head and shout "Hey you cunts, knock this shit off"

So, she can either let them continue like this, or hurt them just to be treated with some decency. And frankly, Clan Kicker hasn't done much to earn such sympathy

Login or register to comment