• Published 30th Apr 2018
  • 3,135 Views, 193 Comments

Journey of the Lesser Lights - Chengar Qordath



Star Kicker is the newest member of the Lunar Guard, and she has a lot to prove. When Princess Luna takes her on an adventure to recover a lost artifact that belonged to an old friend of hers, she'll get her chance.

  • ...
20
 193
 3,135

Now Is Found

I wasn’t sure what I’d expected to find when I started following my tracking spell after our arrival in Freeport. Maybe for it to lead us to a hidden necromancer or warlock coven, or the private collection of some crime lord. Or why not both? Warlocks weren’t exactly known for their respect for other laws after they flagrantly broke the laws of magic. Certainly finding Luna’s sword in the hooves of a criminal monster would’ve made everything much easier.

Instead, the tracking spell lead me to just about the last place I ever would’ve expected: a big building calling itself the Freeport Liberation Museum. “Huh.” I stared dumbfounded at the structure as a class of schoolchildren trotted in. “So the ancient sword is actually ... huh. For something that really kinda belongs in a museum, I never thought I’d actually find it in one.”

Luna scowled suspiciously at the building. “Why would it be here? And why wasn’t I able to find out it was here? A museum is no place of secrets.”

I shrugged. “Maybe it's a decoy? Or ... something?” I could come up with half a dozen different explanations with enough time, but why speculate when we could just go in and find out? “If there’s a museum, there’re curators. If we want the full story about how the sword wound up here, I’m sure they’d know it.”

Luna nodded. “Mayhaps it rests here under a different name. However, the details do not interest me at this time, and I would prefer not to inform them of our interest in it. Can you find the sword without their help?”

“Pretty sure I can find it, yeah,” I assured my princess as I headed for the front door. It was slightly awkward to wait while the princess bought two tickets to get us into the museum itself. It was just the kind of mundane thing that I hadn’t really planned on doing in the middle of our grand quest to recover a lost artifact. At least Luna’s magical disguise seemed to be holding up. She wasn’t exactly afraid of being identified or anything, but we didn’t want to deal with huge crowds of curious ponies wondering what an Equestrian princess was doing here, and bogging us down with a bunch of pointless questions. We were here on business, after all.

Once the tickets were taken care of I led us further in. I was a little bit tempted to have a look at the rest of the museum, if only because I didn’t know all that much about the history involved. Not that we’d completely ignored foreign history in school, but that had been so long ago that the details were fuzzy. Cloud had always been the military history buff in the family. I liked it just fine, but I hadn’t really had time to go into that while also learning everything I needed to be a good tracker, gemcrafter, and military officer as well as picking up as much magic as I had.

Oh well. Maybe there’d be time to play tourist after we finished up the work part of our trip. It would probably take a day or two to get our travel arrangements settled if we wanted to keep our visit on the down-low.

Most of the museum seemed to be dedicated to the Council/Necrocrat War some four hundred years ago. I tried to dredge up some memories of the conflict from school, but the only thing that sprang to mind was that Equestria had been kind of indirectly supporting the Council. Well, more that we’d been having a bunch of naval skirmishes with the Necrocrats over our own beefs with them, mostly related to the Battle of Two Magnuses and Freeport’s eternal status as a haven of pirates and slavers. Officially our navy had just been doing anti-piracy patrols, but we’d effectively treated any Freeport-flagged ship as a suspected pirate. Which, to be fair, they had been more often than not. Seeing Freeport’s take on the history would be interesting.

Eventually the tracking spell led us to a large circular chamber at the center of the museum. The room was dominated by a huge sculpture showing a mix of ponies, zebras, gryphons, and changelings standing on an improvised barricade of furniture. I also noticed we were right next to a cafe and gift shop, and couldn’t help briefly wondering if the sword we’d come all this way to find would be for sale as a cheap keepsake.

However, the spell led me to a large display case holding a bunch of the personal possessions of somepony named Torch Charger. Most of it didn’t look like anything special—even the set of armor looked like it had been assembled out of cast-offs from a dozen different blacksmiths—but the sword...

Luna grinned as her eyes locked onto it. “Ah, there it is. The blade and hilt might be somewhat altered from the classic style of Selerika, likely in hopes of throwing us off, but I would know my work anywhere.” Her smile shifted to a scowl as she looked the case over. “And it seems they have the gall to display my friend’s sword as some sort of ... trophy.”

I had a look at the display card, reading the words under my breath. “‘The sword known as Chainbreaker was forged by Ushabti the Great, who used it during the War of Zebrican Liberation. After his death it passed to his friend Mors Charger, remaining within the family until Torch The Last Charger used it during the liberation war against the Necrocrats. Upon Torch's death the sword passed into the custody of the museum, though occasionally falling into other hooves such as when Magus Sunset Shimmer used it to—’” I turned back to my princess. “It doesn’t sound like they even know it belonged to Silver Ankh. They just assumed Ushabti made it himself and went from there.”

Luna grunted, glowering at the case. “Regardless of what they might know now, it does not sit well with me that pirates would possess this weapon.”

“I bet not.” I knew it wasn’t exactly the same, but the idea of Shadow’s Armor being in a museum in some other country instead of in our family vault where it belonged would’ve made me livid. Of course, it was with Skunky for now instead of being in the vault, but ... whatever. “So, what's the plan?”

Luna scanned the room, then leaned a bit closer and dropped her voice to a careful whisper. “That is the question. I do not wish to leave the sword here, but we are very far from home. And we are but two ponies. I suppose we could always seek help from the embassy, but at that point it becomes a matter of state to be debated ‘tween diplomats. I have not come this far to merely put the matter into another’s hooves. I said that I would take back Silver Ankh’s sword, and that has not changed simply because it is on public display.”

Oh boy. Well, orders were orders. “If that’s what we’re gonna do, I have an idea.”

Luna regarded me with a raised eyebrow. “Do tell.”

I took a moment to mentally line everything up—you don’t present a princess with a half-baked plan. “Let’s go through the museum like tourists. I’ve got enough trackers on hoof to pick up movement in this exhibit and a few of the closest ones, then track a path to and from the entrance. Once night falls, I can passively track anyone who comes near them. That would let us get in, avoid any patrolling security, then get the sword and get out.”

Luna frowned. “And the wards that might be over this place?”

“We can scan them while we go through the museum today.” I shrugged. “I doubt it'll be much. The place is just a museum. Even if they’re heavy-duty, I doubt it’ll measure up to the traps in Silver Ankh’s tomb, so...” I left the obvious unspoken. An alicorn princess could handle whatever magical security the museum had. “It’s your call of course, Princess. I’m just trying to offer some advice on how we could do this if you want to.”

Luna tapped her chin, nodding slowly. “We should at least do some preliminary reconnaissance. That will tell us much more about the viability of the rest of your suggestion.”

I was about to answer when something went crunch right behind me. I whirled around, prepared to defend my princess against incoming assassins ... only to find myself face to face with a mint-green pegasus who had one hoof buried in a bag of potato chips. “Aw, c’mon,” she grumbled. “Was that really the last crisp? I could’ve sworn...” She looked up from her bag, seeming to notice me there for the first time. “‘Sup?”

Princess Luna regarded the stranger with a raised eyebrow. “‘‘Sup?’”

“Short for ‘What’s up?’” the pegasus answered. “Means hello, along with an invitation to share any relevant information about recent events.”

I made sure I was standing in between this new pony and the Princess, though I tried not to be too obvious about it. “Can I help you?”

“I’m sure you can,” she answered. “I mean, obviously if I sat around thinking about it all day I’m sure I could come up with some way a modestly talented unicorn could help me out. Especially one who’s in the royal guards. That’s gotta come with a lot of useful skills.” She shrugged. “But then, if I dragged you around trying to find some way for you to help me, that’d mean taking you away from your principal.” She snorted out an off-putting giggle. “Oh ... you don’t even know why that’s funny. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah. Anyway, I was kinda curious about why you two’re here. Or actually, I wasn’t curious, but my boss kinda is. Or at least, she will be once she finds out about it. Or I assume she would—which technically makes asses outta both of us, so sorry about that. Though really, there’s nothing wrong with being a donkey. Not unless you’re some kinda racist. You’re not, are you?”

While I struggled to figure out what the hay she was talking about, Luna seemed to have followed her well enough to be reasonably confident answering her. “No, we are not. And who is your master?”

“I don’t really have a master,” she answered. “’Cause I don’t do slavery. Didn’t you know that’s been illegal in Freeport for hundreds of years? S’kinda the whole point of the big liberation museum we’re standing in the middle of, you know? So yeah, no masters. But I do have a cool bacon-haired boss-mare.”

Princess Luna’s eyes narrowed. “What is your purpose here?”

The mare groaned and rolled her eyes. “Sheesh, I already said that. My boss wants to know—would want to know, whatever. The question is what a princess of Equestria is doing coming to one of our museums incognito. Makes a gal just a little bit curious about the what the deal is.”

Luna scoffed and shook her head. “So you know me? Well, I do not answer to some minion. If your leader wishes to know anything, she should show herself.”

“‘Minion’? Ouch. That's hurtful.” She sighed and he wings slumped overdramatically. “Why you gotta be so hurtful? Just ‘cause I’m not at the top of the food chain doesn’t mean I’m not a pony with feelings and emotions and a name and all that horseapples. Oh, and thanks for confirming you’re a princess. Was pretty sure when a pony our intel files say is a royal guard showed up along with a mare under a high level disguise spell, but ... well, we’re already all donkeys here, so no need to repeat what they say about assuming. Anyway, my boss is busy Archon-ing it up.”

Luna scoffed. “You play at words and give me nothing of substance. I have no use for this.” She stepped past me and started going around the strange mare, giving her a wide berth.

The odd green pegasus shrugged and stepped out of the way. “Just saying, a princess showing up incognito in a museum has me wondering all kinds of stuff. Be nice to know why. I mean, it's kinda rude to not even stop by the Archon's tower for a howdee-doo. Could lead to all kinds of crazy stories about some grand conspiracy or something. Does it have to do with the mole people living in the planet core who secretly control the world? That’s always a fun one. But yeah, if we could just know the truth, that’d stop any mole people stories.” She paused, then frowned suspiciously at us. “Unless you are working for the molemen.”

I’d had enough of this weirdo. “I’m sorry, who are you and what makes you think we owe you answers? For all we know, you're a lying panhandler or a con artist.”

“Didn’t I tell you my name? I could’ve sworn I ... weird. Must be getting old, mind’s playing tricks on me.” She cleared her throat and struck a bit of a pose. “Strumming Heartstrings, unofficial asker of unofficial questions and annoyer of royals for Her High Archon-ness Sunset Shimmer. Basically, the big boss of the place. Well, actually she kinda co-rules with the Council, but ... meh, boring internal politics, you don’t care about that. Or if you do, I probably shouldn’t tell you anything about it. Actually, forget I said anything. But just that last bit, don’t forget the rest of it, or else we’ll have to start the entire conversation back from the beginning, and that would just be awkward.”

Once more, Luna managed to follow her random babble a lot better than I could. “Then mayhaps I should speak with your archon.”

I wasn’t quite sure what to make of that decision considering I still wasn’t sure this Strumming wasn’t just some random lunatic who wandered in off the street, but she was princess. “Right behind you, Your Highness.”

Strumming shrugged. “Yeah, that’s an option too. To the boss-mare!” She started to lead the way out of the museum, but paused to shoot a sullen look over her shoulder. “Though really, I’m still hurting over the whole ‘minion’ thing.”

Luna regarded her levelly. “But that is what you are, is it not? You are an underling, a servant of the Archon.”

“She is my boss, but I prefer to think of myself as a friend and companion. ‘Minion’ kinda conjures the whole image of a weird hunchback with a lisp or those things from that one movie that everyone liked, until they got annoying and everyone hated them.” She paused at a garbage can to throw away her empty bag of potato chips. “Don’t suppose either of you have any crisps on you? I'm super-snacky, and I probably can’t afford to slow things down to restock. Since—you know, state business and all that rot.”

Luna scowled at her, her sharp tone making it clear she was just about out of patience with Strumming’s eccentricities. I sympathized. “Show us to the Archon, and then you may have your snacks. Do the people of Freeport know nothing of duty?”

“That’s kinda rude and judgmental. Anyway, I know all about duty.” Strumming shrugged as we stepped out into the street. “Besides, I’m technically not a native. Born and raised in Equestria. Used to work for your sister, actually.” She tossed an annoyed frown over her shoulder at Luna. “Celestia always had crisps for me whenever I asked her for some. See, things like this are why everypony likes her more than you.”

Princess Luna tensed up, then unleashed a glare that would’ve made most guards start quivering in their boots. “My sister is kinder than I, and willing to put up with the flippant behavior of minions who know not how to show deference to a princess.”

Strumming didn’t seem to care at all that a super-powerful immortal alicorn was glaring at her. “Again with the minion talk. Why you gotta be so hurtful?”

I did my best to glare at her as well, though if Luna’s didn’t work I doubted I would make any difference. However, maybe it was a good idea not to let her know that was getting under our skin. About the only reason I could think of for a pony to both bring up the whole Nightmare Moon thing and imply that Luna was still less popular than Celestia was to deliberately try to provoke her. I got a bit closer to her and murmured under my breath. “Best not to let her know she’s getting a rise out of you, Princess. Probably why she’s needling in the first place.”

Luna whispered back tightly. “So I should let her barbs pass unremarked? Sometimes a pony needs to be rebuked for their uncouth behavior. I cannot imagine my sister tolerated such antics while this mare was in her service.”

I knew I was stepping into hazardous territory, but I slightly contradicted my princess. “I don’t think she cares if you disapprove of her behavior, Highness.” In fact, she was probably going out of her way to get on our nerves.

“Then I shall have words with this Archon once we meet her,” Luna answered tersely. “And ensure that she knows how her servants treat distinguished guests.”

I was pretty sure the Archon had some idea of what Strumming was like already, but I really didn’t want to push things to the point of outright disagreeing with or questioning my princess. So I instead kept my mouth shut as Strumming led us through Freeport’s street and up to a large black tower surrounded by a couple squads of soldiers, a pair of unicorns in what looked like an imitation of Equestrian magus robes, and several golems. Strumming just waved to all the security and walked right through it, so I guess that did at least prove that she worked for this Archon after all.

Strumming continued into the tower, passing by several administrators and other civil servants. Eventually she got up to an office with two huge golems manning the front door, along with a desk occupied by a changeling wearing more of those knock-off magus robes. It was hard not to stare at the huge constructs. Each of the bipedal monstrosities was easily three meters tall, and considering they were made of metal probably weighed several tons. One carried a massive sword that could doubtless slice a pony in half with a single blow, while the other had a halberd that looked equally deadly. The bipedal design was a bit odd, but the arms did make it much easier for them to swing their large melee weapons.

Strumming trotted right past the massive guardians, grinning and waving to the magus. “Hey Facon, crisp me up!”

The changeling barely even glanced up from whatever project she was working on, levitating a bag of potato chips over to Strumming. “You really need to knock first. This one’s practicing its runework, and one interruption coul...” She trailed off as she looked back up at us again, her eyes narrowing as she realized Strumming wasn’t alone. “Oh.”

Strumming snatched the bag of chips, smirking at the changeling’s gobsmacked expression. “Got guests for the boss. Keep an eye on them and make sure they don’t steal the silverware or try to unleash eternal night or anything while I’m letting the boss know what’s up.” She tore open the bag and started noisily munching on her chips.

The bug stared at both of us. “Unleash eternal... Heartstrings-mare, who are these ponies?”

Strumming shrugged. “Nobody important. Just Princess Luna and...” She paused, looking me over. “I didn’t catch your name, so I’m just gonna go with Minion.” She turned back to Luna. “See? It’s hurtful when you’re on the receiving end.”

I was briefly tempted to try out that silence spell Sparkler knew and see if it would work on the world’s most annoying pegasus. Yes, Strumming was actually managing to top Skunky. That takes a lot of hard work.

The changeling’s jaw dropped as she stared at Princess Luna, then dropped even further when Her Highness dropped her magical disguise. Not like there was much point in keeping it up after Strumming had outed her. After several seconds the bug managed to stammer out, “Th-The Dark Pony?! Here?”

“Yup,” Strumming answered with an annoying grin. Then she turned back to Luna. “This is Magus Kukri Doo, the Archon’s personal assistant. No calling her ‘minion’. Or Facon, that’s my name for her, you can’t use it.” Having gotten the last word, she trotted through the secure door.

The changeling—Kukri, stared at us for several seconds, then cleared her throat. “Um, may this one offer you refreshment?”

“We are fine,” Luna answered tersely.

After a couple minutes of awkward silence Strumming trotted back out. “The Archon will see you now. You can feel free to to judge your importance on the basis of how long she kept you waiting. She wanted to do a couple magic projects and teach herself to play the ukelele before getting around to you, but I convinced her to be a bit more diplomatic.”

Luna calmly stepped past her, ignoring the blather leaving Strumming’s mouth and stepping into the Archon’s office. Archon Shimmer’s desk certainly looked big and impressive, and the raised platform it sat on ensured that she could look a pony Princess Luna’s size in the eye. The massive bookshelves behind her lent the place a scholarly air, which was a bit offset by the armor the Archon had on underneath her especially elaborate magus robes. The Archon pointedly set aside a stack of paperwork as we entered. “Princess Luna. This is an unexpected pleasure.”

“Likewise,” Luna answered neutrally. “My sister has told me quite a bit about you.”

“I’m sure she has.” Sunset waved a hoof towards Strumming. “Send Kukri in, and see that we aren’t disturbed.” I silently thanked her as the irritating mare trotted out, still noisily munching her crisps. “I’ve heard quite a bit already, but what brings you by?”

Luna got straight to the point. “I am here to retrieve something that belongs to a friend of mine. The blade you know as Chainbreaker, which is in truth the sword of Silver Ankh, stolen from its rightful owner by a warlock known as Ushabti.”

“That’s Torch Charger’s sword!” the changeling magus blurted out. “It’s a relic of Freeport.”

The Archon was a bit calmer about it, restraining herself to a single raised eyebrow. “One of our most important national treasures.”

“The most important,” Kukri insisted. “It’s especially important to this one’s family and the Strikers as one of the last remnants of the Charger clan.”

Luna scowled both of them. “It was stolen from the tomb of my friend, its rightful owner, late Pharaoh of Selerika.”

“That’s news to me,” the Archon answered calmly. “When did this happen?”

“Near nine hundred years ago,” Luna answered. “The necromancer Ushabti stole it from Pharaoh Ankh's tomb for nefarious ends.”

“Alongside the warlock Hidden Facts,” I added, assuming more details would back up our case. “Apparently they fought over the sword, and Ushabti came here. And apparently became known as Ushabti the Great after that.”

“He played an important part in freeing the islands from occupation by the Zebrican Empire during the Morning Wars,” the Archon answered levelly. “Regardless of any past sins, I think that’s an accomplishment worth celebrating.”

Kukri nodded emphatically. “This one doesn’t care about what one of Chainbreaker’s wielder’s did in the past. The sword’s history is beyond such things. In addition to the war with Zebrica, there is the blade’s involvement in liberating the islands from necromancer rule and ending slavery in Freeport. It’s called ‘Chainbreaker’ for a reason.”

“And that’s just a sampling of the sword’s history and what it means to us,” the Archon concluded. “I’m sorry if it might have belonged to someone else nine hundred years ago, but it’s been ours ever since then. Presuming you can actually prove your claims, I might be willing to look into the possibility of some form of reparations to Silver Ankh’s descendants. Of course, as long as we’re digging up ancient history, Freeport does have several outstanding claims from Equestria’s enthusiastic naval patrols a few centuries ago. Regardless, the sword itself belongs to Freeport, and will not be leaving.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed, and I heard her teeth clench. “So you claim it by conquest? It is Freeport’s trophy to be displayed before all?”

“It’s been a symbol of our nation and part of our history for generations,” the Archon answered without missing a beat. “Whatever history the sword might have had before it came into our possession, it’s now tied to Freeport.”

“Then it is not something you would readily part with?” Luna demanded. “Even after knowing what I have told you about the illegitimacy of Freeport’s claim?”

“Yes,” Archon Shimmer shot back. “Something that happened almost a thousand years ago isn’t enough to invalidate everything that’s happened since then. Especially when, so far as I’m aware, Selerika doesn’t have a royal family left to put through any claim on the sword.”

“As the Selerikan crown was absorbed by Equestria, their properties and legal claims naturally fall to myself and my sister,” Luna countered. “Freeport is in possession of stolen Equestrian property.”

“So far as I’m aware, the statute of limitations on theft is much shorter than nine hundred years.” The Archon crossed her forelegs over her chest. “Not to mention that you’ve yet to actually prove that Chainbreaker is, in fact, stolen.”

Luna scowled at her. “It seems we are at an impasse. Very well, there are means by which we can resolve this matter.”

“Chainbreaker is not for sale,” Kukri cut in. “Or trade, exchange or anything else you might suggest. It’s right where it belongs.”

“I was not about to suggest your pride could be sold like some mere trinket,” Luna answered, drawing herself up to her full height. “I suggest a contest of martial skill to settle the matter and put an end to this dispute.”

The Archon sighed and shook her head. “I’m not interested in starting a competition over something I already have, and already have a legal right to.”

Luna grimaced. “So that is the way of it? I cannot deny that Silver Ankh’s sword has been in Freeport’s possession for a long time, thus I will not demand that blade be the lone wager in this contest.” She closed her eyes and concentrated, then drew Nightfall out of thin air. The Archon and her assistant stiffened at the presence of a weapon, but with deliberate slowness she placed the sword on Archon Shimmer’s desk. “Nightfall, my blade and the twin of the sword you know as Chainbreaker. Equal stakes, would you not agree?”

I wasn’t sure what I’d been expecting the princess to suggest but it certainly wasn’t that. Putting her own sword on the line was... I stepped up to her side and carefully whispered, “Princess, are you sure you want to…?”

“Yes,” she answered simply.

Oh. Well. That kind of settled that. Not like I could debate the merits of a royal decision, especially when we were in the middle of a meeting with a foreign leader.

The Archon frowned down at the sword. “Princess Luna, that’s a very unexpected and fair offer, but I’m really not interested in having your sword. It’s yours. Chainbreaker is ours.” She sighed and slumped back in her chair. “Look, the sword is in good hooves, if you were worried about some evil necromancer having it. What good would it do in Equestria, as part of some royal collection? In Freeport, it’s a symbol of hope and freedom for thousands of ponies.”

Luna scowled and took her blade back, sheathing it in whatever pocket dimension she’d been keeping it in before. “A symbol of hope and freedom, you say? I have trouble believing that in a place such as Freeport.”

Archon Shimmer frowned at her. “What precisely do you mean, Your Highness?” Her assistant was much more direct, scowling in a way that prominently displayed her changeling fangs. I made a point of placing myself in position to intercept the bug if it tried anything.

Luna drew herself up as regally as possible. “Freeport has never been a nation representing freedom or hope. It is naught but a hive of scum and villainy, where the worst elements of society were rejected from every other nation congregate. When I learned that one of my sister’s students had assumed leadership of the nation I dared to hope that I might find someone more accomodating of Equestria’s needs, as with Cadance in the Crystal Empire.”

“I’m not Cadenza,” the Archon answered tersely. “While I have immense love and respect for Celestia, Freeport is not a vassal or subject nation of Equestria. And we don’t give up our national treasures just because a foreign princess demands them. I would also suggest you not judge a nation on the basis of the reputation it had a thousand years ago. A great deal can change in that time.” The Princess started to open her mouth to respond, but Archon Shimmer cut her off. “I think we’re done here, princess. Kukri will show you out.”

The changeling dutifully stepped forward. “If you would please follow this one.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed, but she didn’t press the issue. “Very well then. Lead on.”

I followed my princess and the bug out, in silence even more awkward than the one from when we’d been waiting to meet the Archon. As we left the central office Strumming grinned and fired off a cheeky salute at us. When Luna reapplied her disguise spell the pegasus idly called out, “Oooh, do black coat with red and black mane. Never seen that before.”

Once we were outside, Kukri finally broke the silence. “This one hopes you enjoy your trip home. It can suggest several captains who could take you as soon as the tide turns.” Then she slammed the doors shut with rather more force than strictly necessary.

Neither of us said anything until we were well clear of the Archon’s tower and out of earshot of her guards. Then I tentatively broke the ice. “So... that happened.”

“In truth, I am surprised,” Luna murmured. “The populace of Freeport have always been a greedy and craven lot. I did not expect them to place so much worth on a blade, no matter how magnificent. Likely something lies under the surface here. Mayhaps this Archon has some greater purpose in mind for the sword.”

I grunted and didn’t contradict my princess. Personally, I could believe that she just didn’t want to give the sword up if it really was that much of a cultural treasure. I certainly wasn’t an expert on Freeport’s internal politics, but giving away one of the nation’s big cultural artifacts to a foreign power would probably cause her all kinds of internal problems. She’d made a big point of how Freeport wasn’t an Equestrian puppet, which made me think that if she had given us the sword that would be the story every single one of political opponents would start spinning.

That said ... no arguing with the princess. “What’s the plan now, Your Highness? Do you still want to make a try for the sword, or...?”

“Or what, Lieutenant?” Luna demanded. “Go home empty-hooved, leaving this treasure in the hands of pirates and an ungrateful whelp? I think not. I believe this Archon Sunset does not wish to appear weak by giving up the sword, thus her reluctance to budge over the matter. However, if she thinks to make a fool of me...” The princess turned to me with a savage grin. “While the Archon and her minions will no doubt expect it now, I intend to take the blade regardless. Let them try to stop me.”

Her eagerness was infectious, and I found myself smiling as well. “Good thing I already left a few trackers next to the sword. Should we go back to put a few more, or just wait for nightfall and make our move? I know they might suspect we’ll try, but if they see us casing the joint...”

“I would prefer not to remove any doubt as to our intentions,” Luna agreed. “And of course, we will need to make our move well after the facilities close to the public. There were children touring the museum when last we visited. Even if the delay might make things more difficult for us, there are certain standards that must be upheld.”

I nodded along. “Yeah, obviously. And maybe if you change up your disguise and put one on me we could throw them off and do a bit more recon. At the very least, waiting a few hours will give us a bit more time to make arrangements.” We certainly wanted to be out of Freeport ASAP after taking back the sword—even if they didn’t suspect we might make a try for it, they’d certainly have us as their prime suspects when it turned up missing one day after Luna tried to negotiate for it. It would be a very good idea to be long gone before then.

It would probably cause a bit of a diplomatic mess, but Luna wouldn’t be doing this if she didn’t think she could weather the storm. As the Freeporters had pointed out when we asked for it back, possession was nine-tenths of the law. As for them trying to steal it back from Luna’s personal collection in Canterlot Palace ... that was gonna be a lot harder than robbing a museum, and they didn’t have any immortal millenia-old alicorns to help them do the job.

“Indeed so,” Luna murmured, seeming to have guessed what was on my mind. “In the meantime, let us plan...”


We made our move in the dead of the night. The moon was particularly dim, which I had to think wasn’t a coincidence considering who my partner in crime was. Part of me thought we should get some help from someone with actual experience in breaking and entering, but when I’d tried to carefully broach the topic Luna said she didn’t want to involve anyone else.

She was probably right about that, considering the way she used her magic to make the shadows wrap around both of us as we snuck in. That royal princess magic would be more than enough to make up for any little things that went wrong. When we ran across one of the night security guards she put him into a deep dream-filled sleep without any visible effort. I quickly picked the guy up and made him comfortable on one of the benches, so it would look like he’d fallen asleep on his own instead of being hit by a spell.

Then we were back in the large central chamber. The huge sculpture in the middle of the room looked downright creepy now that most of the lights were off. It was hard not to feel like all the statues were watching us. Judging us. Gotta admit, having Torch Charger looming over us while we tried to steal his sword was...

No. It wasn’t Torch’s sword, it was Luna’s. We weren’t doing anything wrong, we were just taking back what belonged to her. There was no reason for me to feel guilty. I took a deep breath, shook off any lingering doubts, and did my duty to my princess. “Looks clear.”

“So it does.” Luna nodded to herself, then stepped up to the display case. “Let us be done with this and away quickly. Watch for any guards.” Her horn lit up as she scanned the case, and after a few seconds a hint of a smile pulled at her lips. “How rudimentary. I would have expected better out of one of my sister’s students.” Her horn flashed a few more times, and I felt the magical defenses fall away.

Luna’s smile grew into a satisfied smirk. “All too easy.” She carefully opened up the display case, moving as slowly as possible so the hinges wouldn’t squeak. Then she reached out to claim the sword for herself.

Her hooves passed right through it. Luna’s eyes shot wide open as she realized she’d been duped.

With a flash of bright light Archon Shimmer appeared in the room, accompanied by Kukri and Strumming. The real Chainbreaker was sheathed in her side. She strode up to us, shooting an unreadable look Luna’s way. “I was hoping you wouldn’t show up.”

Luna slowly turned to face her, keeping her expression carefully blank. “I have found that life has a way of causing a great many disappointments.”

“I’ve noticed,” the Archon answered dryly. “Now then, I’d suggest you leave right now, and for your sister’s sake I’ll forget about this.”

“I am not leaving without that sword,” Luna shot back.

“You know that’s not happening,” the Archon scowled at her. “Last chance. Walk away.”

I bit my lip, and tried to think of what we should do. The only way Luna and I could get the sword at this point would be to attack the Archon herself. That ... was way too far. It was the kind of thing that could start a war, assuming Celestia didn’t insist we immediately return the sword along with profuse apologies and a bunch of diplomatic concessions. I took a deep breath, then whispered. “Princess, maybe we should...” Luna waved me down before I could even finish the sentence. Oh well. I tried.

Princess Luna turned to the Archon with a fierce grin. “Do you really think I will leave without taking what is mine? Whatever the cost?”

Kukri stepped up, glaring at my princess. “This one did some research after the Dark Pony left. You mentioned that Hidden Facts and Ushabti collaborated to steal the sword, correct?”

Luna nodded regally. “It is as I said.”

Kukri smirked in a way that prominently displayed her fangs. “This would be Hidden Facts, the notorious cultist of Nightmare Moon?” She gave that a second to sink in. “This one wonders how he knew where to find the tomb where the sword lay, and how to bypass the traps within. A tomb whose location only the Dark Pony knew...”

I flinched. My own early research had turned up the same connection. Or at least, it had started to before I hastily cut off that line of inquiry.

Luna’s reaction was pretty much exactly why I hadn’t dug deeper. “I AM NOT NIGHTMARE MOON!” she roared, her voice echoing within the room enough to make loose furniture rattle and knock dust off the ceiling. “I WOULD NEVER BETRAY MY FRIEND!” A raw, unfocused blast of power accompanied her Traditional Royal Canterlot Voice, blowing Kukri back.

“Oh horseapples.” I realized a second later Strumming and I had spoken almost simultaneously.

The Archon went to her fallen assistant’s side, making sure she wasn’t anything worse than stunned. Then her eyes snapped over to Luna. “Okay then.” She shot a fireball Luna’s way, while with a huge crash the two massive golems I’d seen outside her office earlier came charging into the room.

Luna shifted in an inky black cloud of stars and slipped away from the attack. When she reformed she was beyond furious, glaring at at the Archon. “You dare attack a princess of Equestria?! Insolent wretch!” She unleashed a blast of pure darkness at Archon Shimmer.

I was expecting that to be the end of it, but the Archon held up a single hoof. A foot short of her the beam stopped short as if it had hit a solid wall, breaking into half a dozen smaller blasts that wrapped around a spherical barrier protecting her. Once the attack faded, Archon Shimmer smirked at my princess, thought I noticed her outstretched hoof was shaking a bit. “What’s the matter? Is that all you got?”

“Not even close!” Luna snarled and unleashed another attack, but this time the Archon met her blast with one of her own. Then came a fireball, followed a fraction of a second later by a wave of razor sharp ice shards. Luna countered each one, spells blurring out of her horn as they exchanged attacks.

While the two of them exchanged non-stop spellfire, the Archon’s golems closed in. Luna’s eyes widened as she spotted one of them winding up to cleave her in half. She drew Nightfall from its pocket dimension, easily catching the golem’s blade on her own sword despite the fact that Nightfall was a fraction of the other sword’s size. The other golem closed in on her back, swinging low with its halberd. Luna easily hopped over the attack, then shifted the angle of her blade to go on the offensive.

However, the Archon smirked, and I saw a thin beam of energy shoot between her horn and the golem. A second later a fireball emerged from a ruby set in the golem’s forehead, almost point-blank to Princess Luna.

Luna’s eyes widened in shock, and she threw up a shield with barely a moment to spare. The sheer force of the attack sent her flying back, and although she managed to land on her hooves, they cut grooves into the tile floors. I also noticed a few wisps of smoke coming up from her mane and tail.

If the attack actually bothered her, she didn’t let it show. In fact, she was smiling. “If thou dost wish to play hard, then play hard we shall!”

I noticed several smaller bipedal golems that looked sort of like insectoid oversized chickens come scampering up behind Luna, intent on flanking her. Before I could call out a warning Luna stabbed her sword backwards, perfectly skewering the golem right before it could chomp at her with jutting tusked maw. A spell accompanied by a dramatic wave of her hoof brought down a wave of indigo energy that speared a second golem to the floor, and she followed up by freeing Nightfall from her first victim and easily cleaving another of the golems in half.

Kukri the changeling magus groaned, staring at the remnants of what were presumably her own golems. She started to take a step forward, until the Archon held up a hoof warning her off. Kukri grimaced, but slowly nodded.

Kukri’s abortive attempt to get involved in the fight reminded me of a rather salient fact. “I should help Luna.”

Strumming scoffed. “You really wanna jump straight into the middle of that?” She pointed to Luna and the Archon as they began exchanging another flurry of spells. “You saw how that went for Kukri, and you don’t have a bunch of golems to take the hits for you.”

Much as I hated to admit it, she had a point. Princess Luna and Archon Shimmer were throwing spells at each other so fast I could barely follow the action, and every single one of them was way stronger than anything I could ever try. Odds were if I tried to help Luna, I’d barely make any difference, and probably make things harder for her when she had to protect me from whatever the Archon did in response. That was doubtless why Archon Shimmer had warned off her own backup from getting involved in the fight.

This was what they called a Code Gold in the Guard. Something where the best thing we could do was just stay out of the princess’s way and let her handle things. They tried to word the official regulations to sound a bit nicer, with talk about dealing with secondary theaters and stuff like that, but the bottom line was that I was way out of my depth. By simple virtue of lasting more than five seconds in a fight with Luna, Archon Shimmer had to be a heavy hitter. Hay, from what Luna said she’d studied under Celestia herself.

Luna snarled as she used Nightfall to swiftly block attacks from both of Shimmer’s golems, then threw up a wall of ice to cut them off from their master. The two massive brutes immediately got to work smashing it down, but they wouldn’t be getting through anywhere near fast enough. Luna took advantage of the opening to charge Archon Shimmer with a fierce battle cry, countering her spells as she closed to blade range.

The Archon drew Chainbreaker and tried to match her blade for blade, but it quickly became apparent that she was grossly outclassed by the princess. Before long she had to start mixing in shield and teleportation spells to avoid getting sliced in half.

Luna grinned as she pressed her advantage “Surrender thy blade and I will grant clemency!” She slammed her blade against Sunset’s, forcing it back until Nightfall was inches away from the Archon’s eyes. “Is this the limit of thy strength?”

Archon Shimmer managed to force the blade to the side, though it left a nasty gash over her brow. As soon as the blade was clear she teleported away, unleashing a fire blast that reduced the ice wall blocking off her golems to rubble. She was breathing heavily and her mane was matted down around her face and neck by a combination of blood and sweat. Despite that, she tossed her mane out of her eyes and smirked defiantly. “I can do this all night long.”

The two golems charged in, making the entire room shake with the force of their footfalls. Luna neatly sidestepped as the halberd came crashing down where she’d been standing a fraction of a second ago, but she had to bring Nightfall up to catch the sword-golem’s blade. Then the ruby in the golem’s forehead flashed once more.

Luna snapped a shield into place with a moment’s thought. “Surely you didn’t think the same trick would work twice?”

Archon Shimmer appeared almost directly beneath her with a flash of light, well within her shield spell. “I didn’t.”

A flash of twinned black and white energy slammed into Luna at point-blank range, sending my princess flying. Luna crashed into the massive sculpture in center of room, sending several of the statues toppling and making a noticeable dent in the recreated barricade. The impact kicked up enough dust and debris that I lost sight of her for a few seconds, and almost started wondering if maybe she’d been...

Luna slowly climbed out of the remains of the statue, seemingly none the worse for the wear other than a few mussed patches on her coat. She grinned down at Sunset, stretching her wings. “Ah, that was a bracing warm-up. Just what I needed to get the blood flowing. Now then, shall we begin in earnest?”

I tried to follow her what she did next, but Luna moved so fast my eyes just couldn’t keep up with her. One second she was in the ruins of the statue, and the next she was behind Archon Shimmer. The Archon managed to just barely get a shield up in time, but Luna’s kick still sent her flying.

While the Archon recovered, the golems closed in on Luna. As the first golem took a swing at her with its halberd she met the attack with Nightfall, the blade crackling as she channeled her power into it. The first strike knocked the polearm wide, and the followup clove through the haft, turning it into nothing more than a damaged hatchet.

She followed up with a series of vicious blows at the sword golem. Archon Shimmer tried to hit her with several more energy blasts, but every single one of them was blocked by either a shield spell or Nightfall itself. After several attacks forced the golem’s blade high Luna made her real move, and bucked the golem in the knee. The golem collapsed as its leg went out from underneath it, she reversed Nightfall in her grap and brought the blade’s hilt down on the golem’s chestplate in the murder-stroke. That put a noticeable dent in the chest armor, and she followed up with a vicious thrust at the new weak point. Nightfall bit deep into the golem with a shriek of tortured metal as the blade penetrated into the golem’s core.

The golem didn’t go completely down from the hit, but after Luna withdrew her blade it staggered about like a drunken cadet. It took a swing at Luna that she slapped aside with contemptuous ease before locking its blade and forcing it out of the golem’s grip.

Archon Shimmer snarled as Luna disarmed her second golem. “Buck it, I don’t need my golems! I can take you all by myself!” She lashed out with a blast of raw fire, followed up immediately by a spear of solid ice, then a beam of light followed by several daggers of pure darkness, and then a couple other things I’d only ever read about in books.

Luna countered or blocked everything the Archon threw at her, using chunks of the wrecked sculpture to block whatever her shield spells or Nightfall couldn’t catch. There was no was way the Archon could keep up her offensive for long; nopony could possibly throw that many heavy-hitting spells that fast without getting worn out. With both golems down it was a forgone conclusion; Luna was gonna win.

Strumming seemed to have reached the same conclusion, sighing heavily. “Oh well, it was always a longshot for the Boss to win this one.” At Kukri’s reproachful glare she shrugged helplessly. “Oh come on, Facon. The boss is good, but she’s fighting Luna.”

“It’s a bit of a mismatch,” I agreed.

“Exactly.” Strumming reluctantly nodded along with me. “Only way she was ever gonna win is if she got lucky or pulled off a really sneaky trick. Or if her royal mooniness screwed up in a big way.”

Kukri smirked knowingly. “Or if the Hearstrings-mare tips the scales in her favor.”

I was about to ask what she meant by that when I felt the suppression ring slip over my horn, cutting off my magic. Strumming’s wing blurred, and suddenly there was a knife at my throat.

Oh.

Oh horseapples! Why hadn’t I seen that coming?

Kukri looked Strumming and me over with a dry smirk. “This one’s spent too much time around you, Heartstrings-mare.”

“Am I getting predictable?” Strumming asked, affecting wounded pride. “Damn, I really gotta up my game.” She shifted her attention back to the fight though the knife at my throat never wavered. “Hey! Cease-fire, I need a word with Princess Moonbutt!” She waited until both of them had stopped slinging spells at each other, and Luna’s eyes widened when she saw my predicament. “Good, got your attention. Anyway, we both know it’s probably a bluff, but please just surrender and don’t make things awkward by calling it.”

No way I was letting that happen. “Don’t worry about me, Princess! Kick their plots!”

Strumming groaned and muttered under her breath. “You are a horrible hostage. Stop trying to be all noble and martyr-y. Or actually, maybe don’t. I bet that’s the kinda thing that makes Luna more inclined to save you.”

Luna glared at Strumming, her lips curling up in a snarl. “Thou wouldst slay a prisoner? Hast thou no honor?”

Strumming shrugged. “According to just about everypony who knows me ... nope. I mean, I did kinda more-or-less defect to Freeport. Well, it’s a lot more complicated than that, but I’ll spare you details. Bottom line, used to work for your sister, and look what I’m doing now.” She smirked. “I’ve come a long way. Hope the family’s proud.”

Luna’s eyes narrowed. “Then why should I believe thou wouldst honor my surrender? Thou couldst try and cut both our throats the moment we were helpless.”

The Archon stepped forward. “You have my word, as Princess Celestia’s student.”

Luna frowned and was silent for several seconds, then said. “Release the lieutenant, and I swear that I shall sheath my blade and withdraw in peace.” I growl entered her voice as she added, “And by the stars in the sky and the moon itself, you have my word as a princess of Equestria. For if thou dost harm her, my vengeance shall be swift and terrible, and thou wilt wish that I only desired Chainbreaker.”

Strumming shrugged uncaringly. “Yeah, but she’ll still be dead. So yield already.”

No. No bucking way. I wasn’t gonna let my very first real mission as a royal guard end with Luna surrendering to another nation because I was an idiot who let myself get caught. “Don’t do it, Princess! You’re more important than me!”

Luna ignored me. “Does your word mean anything, Archon Sunset Shimmer?”

“Yes, it does,” the Archon answered tersely. “I swear on all the love I bear for your sister, no harm will come to either of you. I just want this fight over with, and you out of Freeport.”

“And do you believe my word bears equal weight?” Luna demanded.

The Archon scowled at her. “Considering you came into my realm on false pretenses, tried to steal one of our national treasures when I wouldn't give it to you, and then attacked one of my oldest and closest friends, not to mention the fact that you apparently helped get the sword stolen in the first place and once tried to murder your own sister ... not really.”

I could hear the princess’ teeth grinding against each other, but she didn’t try to argue the point. “I swear to abide by the terms of our agreement and leave Freeport at once—without the sword that is rightfully mine, but with my lieutenant unharmed. You have my word as Princess of Equestria, and as sister to the mare who you claim to love.”

The Archon stared at her for several seconds, then grunted and nodded. “Fine. I’ll have you escorted to the docks. I’m sure you’ll understand I want to make sure you’re gone for good. And you can be certain Celestia's hearing all about this.”

Luna glared at her. “Agreed. I already intended to tell my sister of your actions as soon as I returned to Equestria.”

“Then we have a deal.” The Archon nodded to Strumming, and the knife left my throat. A second later the suppression ring came off as well.

Luna gave me a quick once-over to ensure I hadn’t been hurt. “Come, Lieutenant. We are leaving Freeport at once. Despite what some parties might think, I am a mare of my word.”

“Can’t leave soon enough,” I grumbled in agreement, trotting after my princess as she began marching as regally as she could towards the docks.

Author's Note:

As always, thanks to my pre-reading and editing team for all their hard work. Also, I would like to thank all my dedicated Patreon supporters. You guys are awesome.

Click here if you want to join the list of awesome people who support my writing.

Aidan Hall
Albert Wen
Alt Grendel
Batbrony
Benjamin McLaren
Borg Lord
Brion Wauters
Charles M. Hagmaier
Chris Hall
ColdSilverD
Combine
Comma-Kazie
Creideiki
Cyanhyde
DaB.
Darkarma
Deep Cover
Dixie Daley
djthomp
Edmon Star
Emlyn Costilow
Errant
FallenAngelXy
Forderz
Guldane
Jessica T
nfreak
Patrick
Ponibius
Shank
Singularity Dream
Sweet Gale
Sylvain Colinet
Trinary
waritah
Web of Hope
Zennyth