• Published 30th Apr 2018
  • 11,330 Views, 201 Comments

The Forsaken - AmberSun



Anon-a-miss has all but destroyed Sunset Shimmer's life. Her relationship with her friends, her reputation, and her happiness were seemingly gone in an instant. Finding her life after this is difficult enough, but with THIS, it's almost impossible.

  • ...
14
 201
 11,330

The Start of Problems

When Sunset made to arrive at school this morning, she had no reason to believe anything that went against her new routine would occur. Since beginning her attendance at Crystal Prep, she had done the usual; get up, fix herself in the bathroom, eat breakfast, then begin the 30 minute trek from her ‘home’ to the campus. It was a bit farther than CHS was and therefore required more time to get there, but it was nice. Nice in a way that Sunset hadn’t felt since the issue with Anon-A-Miss. But that was where the normal part of her day seemed to end.

That thought made her stop. Towards the end of the previous week and leading up to this morning, her phone had been abuzz with new notifications. She ignored most of them, and held out far longer than she would have thought, being curious to know what could be so important that her phone was constantly vibrating. Most of them were from the MyStable page, others long and frantic texts from her former friends, whom she promptly blocked on her phone. They all had the same content though: that Anon-A-Miss had been found out, that they confessed their sins to the entire school, and that those who had harassed Sunset while she was still at CHS and others were also punished for submitting secrets to be posted in the first place. The thought filled the red head with a rage she hadn’t felt since her days as a former bully.

Those fucking hypocrites! They decided to give me grief for something I never even did, and then were the ones who contributed to it in the first place.

Her school campus was prominent in the distance. She wasn’t too far, but she paused her walk. With everything that happened, and what she just found out, it caused one persistent but no less worrying thought to reverberate in her head. Was I ever really forgiven? Despite saying that they would give me a chance, and help me understand the magic of friendship, was it ever real or just a favor to Twilight?

She wanted to believe it was real; their sleepovers, parties, and group activities together after the Battle of the Bands. But then Sunset remembered: it was only after that incident had they truly included the girl into their group. Fluttershy and Pinkie, sure had been more genuine and maybe serious before then, but the others were abrasive at the best of times, and almost downright aggressive with her at worst. She clenched her fists tightly enough that they began to draw blood and her hair began to cast a shadow over her eyes.

It was all just a trick in the end, she thought. Just waiting for me to make a wrong move to kick me to the curb again. Not like it would be the first time.

Sunset sighed quietly, her anger at the situation quickly being replaced with sadness. Deciding to not focus on such a sad subject, she continued the last of her walk to the school lawn.

“Yo! Pony girl!” A deep yet feminine voice shouted to her. Looking further ahead, the former unicorn spotted the Siren trio heading her way, Aria giving a rather amused smirk at the use of the chosen nickname. Adagio, who was in the lead as usual, rolled her eyes, while Sonata smiled widely at her. But once they approached closer, they seemed to notice her sour mood.
“Hey, what’s the big deal? You don’t normally have this intense of a look for anything other than school work. What’s up?” The purple girl had wrapped an arm around the taller girl’s shoulders to bring Sunset down to eye level before getting in her face. Looking around at the three’s faces, she saw varying expressions of concern, which still never failed to amaze Sunset even after a full week of being around them. It was just crazy to think that the once feared Equestrian monsters of old could even display care for another person that was not among their own, and even that seemed to have been limited among them as Sunset had observed when they were enemies.

But now, with Sunset seemingly confined between them like a chick among mother hens, as they were expectant for an answer, it was hard to deny them an explanation. “It’s nothing. Really. Just...this mess on MyStable and Anon-A-Miss, you know.”

“I find it difficult to think that this is nothing, if it was the cause of you leaving your school and friends to attend another.” Adagio countered.

“And why you were crying in the cafeteria the first day you got here,” Sonata added causing Sunset to blush. “What, is whoever that jerk is still posting that junk?”

“Quite the opposite, actually. It’s, uh...the school finally found out who the account belonged to. It’s still being talked about all over the website. It’s just...I don’t really know how to feel about what I found out. Apparently it wasn’t just one person, but three - the Crusaders - and the younger sisters of my...old friends.” It was harder to talk about out loud than she expected, even more so to follow up, and she rubbed the back of her neck to relieve some of the awkwardness she was feeling. “It also turns out that they were getting help from people in the school to post secrets. Others were sending in things for them to use, and they were found out at the end of last week too.”

It was quiet for a moment until Adagio spoke. “So, what you’re telling us, is that the assholes that were making it difficult for you at Canterlot High were the ones exacerbating the issue.”

“And that your friends - who called you family - had their own siblings betray them and the rest of the school, framing you in the process.” Sonata finished quietly. It was disturbing to see the most bubbly of the three become so serious.

“Those FUCKS!” Aria yelled. Sunset jumped in surprise and a little fear. The purple girl was the closest to Sunset in proximity and her arm around Sunset’s neck and shoulders had tightened in her rage until she realized her mistake. Letting the former unicorn go - Sonata quickly took the spot, gripping her arm and intertwining their fingers lightly- she still went on, “Hell, I know we were bad, but we just wanted people to hear us sing and survive, maybe grovel before us a bit. We never hid the fact that we were manipulative or what we wanted. What these fuckers did though. That’s just...GAH!” She stormed off to the side a bit, never fully leaving their sight, but mumbling and grunting out her anger.

“Hmmph. That girl needs to get a handle on that anger of hers. I swear she’s always been like this.” Adagio mumbled, loudly enough for Sunset to hear though. “On to more pressing concerns, Sunset, are you okay?” That question caught her off guard, and she struggled to find an answer.

“To be honest, I don’t know what to feel,” she sighed. “On one hand, I’m absolutely furious with the Crusaders, the girls, the whole school - but, then I think I should have seen it coming from the beginning. That there was no way they would have forgiven me for all of the things I had done to them. I feel betrayed, and still that I deserve what happened to me. I was pushed aside and left alone when things went wrong, but then it’s not like it hadn’t happened before…”

Lost in her own thoughts, Sunset missed the worried glances Adagio and Sonata exchanged with one another. The former Siren leader though, grasped Sunset’s chin lightly with her fingertips, guiding her downtrodden gaze to the girl’s own. Sunset for a moment was lost at how vibrant they seemed to be up close and swallowed thickly.

“Never believe that you deserve what happened to you Sunset Shimmer. No one ever deserves that, and least of all you. When we came to your school and heard of all that you had done to the student and teachers, yet also how far you had come from then, they should have known you were willing and desperately trying to change.” She smiled sweetly. That, coupled with the intensity of those eyes caused an unbidden blush to rage across the girl’s cheeks. “But then, had it not happened, you wouldn’t be here, we wouldn’t have gotten a chance to thank you, and something worse may have come down the line. At least now, I hope you know that you are with people who truly care for you, not as a favor to some other person.”

“That’s right! Now you get to be friends with us, and we’re tons better than those Raingoons were,” Sonata exclaimed. Sunset gazed again at the three, Aria finally joining them. She walked over to stand beside Adagio, supportively looking Sunset over and giving her a confident grin.

Heh. Good listeners, genuinely concerned for my well being, and how could I forget - humble too. Sunset chuckled. Her mood over the course of Adagio’s speech had greatly improved, and a smile found its way to her face.

“Yeah. Yeah, I know. I can’t say that I won’t think about it at times, but I like where I’m at now. My past isn't today, and while I appreciate everything Twilight did for me, I can accept that it just didn’t work out. And yes, Sonata, you guys are way cool.” Sunset was rewarded with a delighted squeal from the blue girl attached to her arm. If possible, she clung even tighter.

“You bet your ass we’re cool,” Aria growled playfully. “Now let’s go. While this sappy crap was going on, I forgot to tell you that the bell rang twice already.”

They all froze, realizing that while they had been talking, the entire courtyard had been emptied of students.

“Shit! Aria, why didn’t you say anything earlier?” Adagio shouted. She turned and ran towards the building closely followed by the other three.

“I figured Sunny’s emotional state could come before a boring history class of shit we’d already been through, and that the teachers and books know jackshit about.”

“...Point.”


The group of four sprinted towards the main building, unaware of the fact that they were being watched. Two pairs of eyes were wide in surprise seeing the whole event take place. Snips and Snails hid in place across the street. Originally intending to meet with Sunset before her school began - a whole hour before CHS - they rethought that decision seeing her with the Sirens. It’s not that they were afraid per se. To be honest, after being with Boss and knowing her temper, as well as already having experience with mind controlling creatures from Equestria, the supernatural and once menacing nature of the girls didn’t bother them.

In that description though, was the fact that the three girls no longer exuded the menacing nature they once presented while attempting to take over Canterlot High. The three of them, cuddled up to Sunset like they were, and apparently giving her some form of comfort was still surprising. That Sunset was comfortable enough with them to allow them to be that close to her was even more so.

They wanted to talk to Sunset and let her know that she still had friends back at CHS, and that they as well as some others had been and always would be on her side. That she had friends who cared. But - seeing the taller girl with the Sirens, and how they seemed to be well together - like friends even - left the two boys with some sense of relief that the girl they considered an older sister wasn’t entirely alone like they feared.

Turning away from Crystal Prep Academy, Snips and Snails made their way back to the other end of town, and back to Canterlot High. They resolved to let Sunset be for now. Maybe they’d see her another day. After all, CHS classes were let out earlier. They could probably wait for Sunset when she finished.


Back at CHS, school had already begun. Mondays were usually slow, meaning few cars, or people walking by, and unless it was lunch or designated breaks that were in effect - no chance of the school students or teachers roaming the grounds. Snips and Snails had arrived late; walking from halfway across town in only an hour’s time meant they had needed to run the rest of the distance to arrive without too much of a reprimand from Luna or their teacher. It was because of this urgency, they completely missed bright white flash and subsequent swirling rift forming at the horse statue’s base.

Author's Note:

Hey! Meant to post this a day earlier, but it was another feels scene, and I wanted to get the character interaction right.

BTW, any subtext you're getting in this story between Sunset and the Dazzlings - it's all true. :scootangel:I am a hardcore Sunset x Dazzlings shipper - either as poly or separately. For some reason, they all just seem like they would work well together, and are so cute in the fanfics I read.