• Published 1st May 2018
  • 1,047 Views, 21 Comments

Pardon My Dust - Piccolo Sky



Rainbow Dash's first act of officiating a race as a Wonderbolt takes an unexpected turn that leaves her stranded in the middle of the desert with the last pegasus she ever wanted to meet again.

  • ...
1
 21
 1,047

First Segment

Several minutes later, Twilight had levitated a sizable tome marked "Great Equestrian Race Courses" over to the central table in the castle's library and opened it to one page in particular highlighting a black-and-white photo of rough, grizzled pegasi flying through clouds of sand and dust.

"The Great Atacanter Crossing of San Palomino!" Twilight proudly announced as Dash looked it over. "For over 100 years it's been one of the most grueling and punishing races in all of Equestria. It's an annual marathon spread across the entire San Palomino desert and attracts the toughest and strongest fliers across the whole country. It's so challenging that only one fifth of the participants have ever completed it."

Dash gasped. "Really? No way! A race that awesome and I've never heard of it?"

"This race is one that's built more for stamina than outright speed, so I can see why it might have flown under your radar." She smiled, before snickering at what she just said. "Heh...'flown under your radar'... I got to remember that one!" Shaking her head, she turned the page to show a map. "Unlike most pegasi races that feature weather obstacles, there's so little moisture in the San Palomino desert that aside from wind and dust storms there's no weather obstacles at all. Instead, the pegasi have to navigate under a blazing hot sun in the day and freezing cold during the night without having anything in the way of landmarks other than the occasional marker points. Even if you have the stamina to pull off the flight, you have to be able to keep a bearing for miles or you'll get lost. It's what makes the race so dangerous."

She turned the page again, revealing a short list of names.

"In fact, because it's so dangerous and difficult, it doesn't get scored like typical races. Most competitors just want to see if they can finish it, but those who really want to compete see if they can break the record for the fastest time ever to complete it. It's so long that it usually takes pegasi three or four days, stopping to sleep and eat periodically, but the current record which was set 300 moons ago was by Cyclone Sky at 33 hours and 27 minutes."

Dash looked up on hearing the name. "Wait, Cyclone Sky? I know her! She was a Wonderbolt! She set the Academy record for being the first pegasus to generate 45 wingpower on one flap! Hey!" She leaned in closer to the page. "And the first winner was Cold Front! He was the first Wonderbolt to stay airborne for five days!" She glanced over the rest of the names and smiled even more. "These are all Wonderbolts! It looks like it's practically a Wonderbolt tradition for one of us to hold the first place! No wonder Spitfire thought it was so important that one of us officiate it!"

Immediately after saying this, she winced.

"But wait...no Wonderbolts are competing this year! What if somepony steals the title?"

Twilight smirked as she shut the book again. "I wouldn't worry too much about that, Rainbow. Cyclone Sky was a very impressive pegasus. The next closest anypony has ever come to her is 46 hours and 8 minutes. It seems most pegasi who try to beat her record start out fast but quickly wear out because they aren't used to the heat and the dryness, and they usually come in at the lower half." She levitated the book back on the shelf. "It's really great that you're getting a chance to go, though. I'd love to see it myself..." She frowned. "But, unfortunately, I've got a friendship symposium in Las Pegasus. It's so close but not close enough..."

Dash slumped as well. "Yeah, normally I'd love a good race, but usually it's because I'm competing in it. Just standing around watching this one won't be nearly so fun..." She grimaced. "Especially if it takes four days for all the racers to finish. And the rest of the girls are too busy between school and their own work to come along..."

Twilight smiled. "Well, I won't be able to make it for the first part, but I could always head out with you by train. That way I can head up to Las Pegasus via the shuttle balloon instead of the Ponyville one and swing by on the return trip, and I could keep you company heading out at least."

Dash looked up with a hint of enthusiasm at that suggestion.

"And on the way out," She hovered an even larger book off the shelf. "I can tell you all about the history of the race!"

Dash groaned so loudly she dropped out of the air and smacked her forehead against the table.


The next day, a San Palomino-bound steam locomotive departed from the Ponyville Station. Seated in the central car were Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle--the former looking a lot more uncomfortable than the latter as she grinned from ear to ear with her massive book.

"There's so much to know about the Grand Atacanter Crossing! I want to make sure you know each and every little detail! Trust me, by the end of this train ride, you'll be an expert!"

Dash let out a small groan.

"So what do you want to know first?"

"Say..." the pegasus "suggested" as she leaned over and took up the book, "what do you say I read from the book while you explain everything to me? That way I can follow along with the pictures...I mean, follow along on anything I miss."

Twilight smiled from ear to ear. "That sounds like a great idea, Rainbow! I'll start with the race itself!" She cleared her throat, closing her eyes and beginning to orate. "Now, in modern days, the Great Atacanter Crossing is far safer. Each markpoint has a set of fireworks that a racer can shoot off in case they can't continue so they can get some of the assistant ponies to come help. But historically it was much different. There were these special unicorns called..."

As Twilight went on, Dash cracked open the large book and propped it up on her lap in such a way to obscure her face from the alicorn. As soon as that was done, she put a copy of the latest Daring Do book in the cover and began to read.


"...survival tactics are very important for every racer in addition to stamina training. You have to know how to get by if you get lost or there's an emergency. Racers would historically look for the Rain Barrel Cactus, which is filled with water..."

While Twilight went on, Dash used the large book cover to secretly buy a chocolate bar from the snack vendor and started to munch it as she played with a hoof-sized fidget spinner.


"...sting of the scorpions that inhabit the San Palomino desert cause your hoof to go numb for hours, but that's nothing compared to the dreaded Antlions that live buried just beneath the surface. One wrong step can send a pony sinking right into its waiting jaws..."

Dash finished letting out a snore, suddenly opened her eyes and looked up from her neck pillow, gaped on realizing Twilight was still going, and tried to move it over her ears and go back to sleep.


"...she actually rode with the sandstorm, and that shaved off six hours! And that's how Cyclone Sky got her record!" As soon as Twilight finished, the train let out a sharp whistle and a hiss as it came to a halt. "And just in time! We're here!"

"Huh?" Dash answered as the book fell over, suddenly snapping up and revealing a rainbow mane that clearly had a case of "bed head". She gasped in relief. "Oh, finally! I don't think I could take it much longer!"

Seeing and hearing this, Twilight leveled her gaze and frowned. Dash instantly winced. "That is...it was all so amazing I don't think I would have even wanted to watch the race itself if I had heard anymore! Well, this is my stop! Later, Twilight!"

Before the alicorn could vent any displeasure, Dash practically heaved the book onto Twilight's lap and took off in a streak, leaving her to gape and gasp from the weight of it smacking into her.


In spite of being greeted by a hot, dry blast of wind as soon as she exited the train, Rainbow Dash was totally captivated by the race staging ground. Tents, water stations, and an official starting gate had already been erected, and many ponies had already arrived and were in the process of warming and limbering up. Most had erected tents of their own to get relief from the sun and sand before the race officially started, with many of the others in a tarp covered area getting excited to get going.

Dash, always in favor of a new racing venue, was justly excited. She hovered from one place to another, hitting the water stations, the vending area, the merchandise stand, and, of course, the starting gate as she noticed the stunning variety of pegasi that were gathered around. One bulky pegasi was flexing his wings with barbells. Another one was performing yoga, albeit with some assistance from a sponsor who was pushing and pulling perhaps just a little too hard based on the look on her face. Two more were conversing about how they hoped to beat their times from last year by as much as an hour.

Most of all, as she went about, it didn't take long for other pegasi and ponies to notice her signature rainbow mane. When that happened, she couldn't help but grin on seeing their faces light up and whispering about the newest Wonderbolt having arrived.

Eventually she made her way to the starting line, where she noted one older pegasus with a wide-brimmed hat, a pair of sunglasses, and some zinc oxide splashed on her snout. She had a badge around her neck indicating a staff worker and was speaking with several others. As Rainbow Dash approached she dismissed them, looked up to her, and smiled.

"Ms. Rainbow Dash! You made it!" she cheered. "Great! Now that we have our yearly official from the Wonderbolts, this is really starting to feel like a real Atacanter Crossing!" She gestured to herself. "I'm Sandy Dunes."

Dash landed a short distance in front of her. "Oh yeah, Captain Spitfire mentioned you in the letter. You're the one heading up the Atacanter Crossing for this year, huh?"

"That's me. I did this race annually for 20 years before joining the staff, and now I'm to the point where I'm running it, heh!"

She gave a short laugh of her own. "Heh, well you're definitely more organized than I'd ever be. The place looks amazing! And I'm surprised at all the different pegasi around here. I thought I knew everypony who was into racing."

Sandy smirked. "Well, most of the pegasi nowdays prefer to be on races that are all about speed and performance. Only a fraction concentrate on navigation and endurance like the Atacanter Crossing. There aren't many ponies around like Cyclone Sky anymore who train for long treks like this one."

"Oh, is that so?" Dash smirked, stretching her own wings a bit. "If that's the case, maybe I should join in and show the rest of these fliers a thing or two? Let 'em know the ol' tradition of a Wonderbolt taking first place still holds up?"

Sandy stared back expressionlessly a moment, before she suddenly burst out in a peel of laughter. Dash's own smirk faded into puzzlement, but the other pegasus just kept laughing as she leaned over and patted her shoulder. "Oh-ho, for a minute there, Ms. Dash, you actually put me on. I thought you were serious about participating. That was a good one, phew!"

Dash raised an eyebrow. "Huh? Why is that so funny?"

"The Atacenter Crossing isn't a race just any pegasus can join in; not even a Wonderbolt."

She frowned. "What are you talking about? I...I mean, the Wonderbolts do stamina training all the time for sustained flights!"

"But never any place as hot and dry as the San Palomino desert for three or four days on end. Ponies spend months and even years getting themselves ready just for it, and even then it's incredibly dangerous. It takes a really special flier to even be able to compete to finish it, but it takes a pegasus who's a cut above even the best of the best to get the top spot."

Dash didn't answer that. However, her expression looked just slightly disappointed, and maybe even just a touch insulted.

"Anyway, I have a few final details to take care of, and then I'll show you to where you'll be helping officiate. How about just saying hi to the racers until then? I'm sure most of them want to see a representative from the same group that produced all our past winners."

Turning away, Sandy began to walk over to some other staff members. Dash looked a bit more insulted on hearing that last phrase. She tried to respond but Sandy's back was already turned and she was talking to the others before she could get out a word. Frowning a little, she looked down to the sand at her feet.

"I'm more than just a 'representative'..."

"Well, look who it is. My old Wingpony."

The sound of that voice made Dash forget about the perceived snub by Sandy and stand bolt upright.

That voice... No way...

Dash slowly turned her head to who had spoken and spotted a light-turquoise-colored pony with a golden, almost "electric"-colored, mane and a Cutie Mark of a lightning bolt hitting three stars...as well as a rather cocky smile.

"Lightning Dust!"

"Well, look at you now," the pegasus retorted as she began to approach. "A full Wonderbolt. You still remember any of us 'reject' pegasi? I'm surprised..."

Dash's lips curled into a frown. "What are you doing here?"

"Competing, of course." Her smile faded. "Unless now that you're a big-shot Wonderbolt you're going to say you get to bar me from that too."

"Wait...you're competing in the Atacanter Crossing?"

"You bet. It's open to anypony who can fly, so why not?"

She frowned again. "How could you compete in the Atacenter Crossing? You're all about speed and stunts just like me."

She smiled smugly. "Well, unlike some ponies, I don't have things like Wonderbolt training sessions, shows," She reached out and gave Dash a love-tap on one limb, making her grit her teeth. "Or social events where the biggest thing I have to worry about is pulling a muscle stamping autographs on photos of myself to take up my time. I've been doing nothing but getting ready for this race for almost an entire year." She glanced about toward some of the other racers and their tents. "And after seeing the competition? I can tell this group doesn't have any more on me than those featherweights back at Wonderbolt Academy. In fact..."

She turned back to Dash, smiling a bit wider.

"I'll bet I'm in even better shape than Cyclone Sky was."

Dash's frown gave way to a touch of surprise, realizing what she was insinuating.

"You know, I'm glad that you're the Wonderbolt who ended up coming to officiate, Rainbow. Because when I cross that finish line and unseat the Wonderbolts from the top spot just in time for the 100th anniversary of the Atacanter Crossing, I can't think of the look on any other Wonderbolt's face I want to see more than yours."

She frowned again, planting her hooves angrily. "Get real! You'd never beat Cyclone Sky's record!"

"And why not? Because I'm not a Wonderbolt? You know what they say: records were made to be broken. And this is one I get to take right out from under the Wonderbolts' snouts without even being one." She smirked one last time before turning her back on Rainbow Dash, but kept looking at her over her shoulder. "But talk is cheap. You'll see for yourself in less than 33 hours and 27 minutes after the race starts. Try not to look too ashamed."

Turning around she began to walk off, as Rainbow Dash grit her teeth and dug her hooves in harder. In spite of her bold and angry outward appearance, her insides were twisting uncomfortably.

Lightning Dust might be a thoughtless jerk, but she didn't get kicked out of the Wonderbolt Academy because she wasn't one of the best fliers in Equestria... If she really has been training for this race, there's a good chance she'll win it! And if she does, it'll be the first time ever a Wonderbolt hasn't held the top place! The whole reason Spitfire wanted to be here was because it was as much a Wonderbolt tradition as the rest of our awards, but none of us ever thought somepony had a good chance of beating Cyclone Sky's record! Now I'm the only one here!

On realizing that, a spark went off inside her.

And that means only one thing!

She quickly glanced behind her. Luckily, Sandy hadn't gone that far. She had just finished talking to some other staff members and was moving off to a new spot. Yet before she could get more than a few steps, Dash took off in a snap and came to a stop in front of her.

"Sandy! I'd like the enter the race!"

The pegasus gaped in shock. "Wh-what?! Enter the race?!"

"Yeah, right now! Is there still time? I'll do anything I need to get in! Time trials, physicals, even..." She gulped. "...paperwork if it's really, really, absolutely necessary."

"But, but...you can't just enter the race, Ms. Rainbow!" she cried nervously. "Didn't you hear what I said before? This is an extremely-"

She rolled her eyes. "I know, I know! I need a lot of stamina! I got that covered!"

"But...but it's also..."

"Yes, I know there's a lot of things I have to know about it and be prepared for. My friend Twilight told me all about it...and I do mean aaaaaall about it."

Sandy continued to look anxious. "This...this is highly irregular... I mean, technically since you're just officiating and not a judge, there's no rule against joining in, but...but this is a real challenge! It's very dangerous if you're not prepared! Actually, it's very dangerous if you are prepared! Are you absolutely sure?"

She groaned at how long this was taking. "Yes, yes, I'm sure! I've got to! The honor of the Wonderbolts is at stake! Please let me enter!" She punctuated by clasping her hooves together in a praying gesture.

Sandy continued to look uncomfortable; even more so than before. Finally she began to reluctantly grimace.

"I...guess if you really do know all about the race and you're stamina really is in excellent shape, I...suppose it wouldn't hurt to let you join. You could always opt out at the first markpoint if-"

"Oh, thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Dash cut off, seizing Sandy's hoof and shaking it so violently she nearly dislodged both her hat and her sunglasses. Before she could say another word, the rainbow-maned pegasus spun about with a daring and challenging look on her face.

"It won't be an easy cruise to first place for you, Lightning! Guess I've got to remind you how I always got the better times!"


Early the next morning before the sun was even up, the participants made their final preparations and headed to the starting line. Like with most races, each one of them had a number designating their entry, although for this race it was tied to them around a chest harness rather than simply worn over their flanks.

Lightning Dust, limbering up near the starting line, smiled eagerly as her eyes looked into the San Palomino desert, angled perfectly toward the first markpoint miles away. She was so focused that she almost didn't react as she felt a swoosh nearby before a pegasus landed next to her. Only when she glanced over in that direction did her eyes widen in alarm.

"What the...? Rainbow Dash?"

The rainbow-maned pegasus smiled back just as eagerly as she flashed off her own number. "Hey, Lightning Dust. Great day for a race, huh?"

"What are you doing here? You're supposed to be officiating, not competing!"

"Am I? Aw, that's too bad," she grinned as she began to limber herself up. "Guess you're in for a bit of a competition this year, huh? Looks like the Wonderbolts are going to hold onto their record in the Atacenter Crossing after all."

For a fraction of a second she glared angrily at her, but it passed and gave way to a smug smile. "Heh, that's a laugh. You're going to win this race? Have you even been practicing for this kind of marathon? You haven't got a chance!"

Dash frowned at the taunt, but recovered quickly. "Well who says I need to win the whole race? All I got to do is push you so hard that you don't win. And considering that it's you? That shouldn't be too hard."

Dust started to bristle, and forced herself to plant her hooves and look out to the desert. "Ok, 'Wingpony', let's see if you're still as good as you were back in the academy." She smirked. "Because if you are, considering how much better I've gotten? That'll mean you can keep up just enough to watch me all the way to the end."

"Heh, you wish," Dash grinned challengingly as she got her posture ready. "I'd say 'see you at the finish line', but seeing as it's me we're talking about I'll probably get bored waiting for you and head home early."

"Participants, your attention please!"

A small platform had been erected near the start line just large enough for Sandy Dunes and a few others to take their spots. Currently she was using a special shoulder harness with a megaphone to call out to the crowd.

"Welcome to the 100th Great Atacanter Crossing across the San Palomino Desert!"

Several of the racers cheered and applauded, as did their sponsors and any of the spectators at the side. Dash and Dust, however, didn't pay any attention; only glaring at each other and staying poised with their wings unfurled.

"I'm happy to see such a large turnout this year for the centennial! Now then, just to remind everypony, if you wish to drop out of the race at any time, please do so at any of the markpoints. Although we have staff pegasi in the area, the desert is a big place and the only guarantees we have of being able to spot you is if you stop at the markpoints. Also, please make sure to hit every markpoint so that you will be logged or otherwise you will have to be disqualifi-"

"Oh, just get on with it, already!" Dust shouted.

"We already know the rules! Let's race!" Dash yelled.

Sandy rolled her eyes. "I should also point out that while normally our Wonderbolt representative starts the race, this year our Wonderbolt official has decided to enroll in the race itself...so I'll be calling it for this year. Once again, thank you all for coming and I hope to see you all finish and in years to-"

"COME ON!"

She groaned and frowned before turning to the side and nodding. A pony manning a powder-loaded cannon nodded back and grabbed a cord streaming from the back.

"On your marks...get set...go!"

As soon as she yelled the word "go", the pony yanked on the cord and fired off a blast.

The ponies in front were nearly blasted completely off of their hooves before they had a chance to start flapping as both Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust launched at a blazing speed; a streak of rainbows behind one and a streak of lightning behind the other.

Sandy, who lost her hat from the downdraft, winced at seeing it, but even if she wanted to shout at them with the megaphone it was too late. They were already a half mile away by the time the last of the other racers crossed the starting line.

To be continued...