• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 7,018 Views, 117 Comments

Celestia's Trust - Kitsunin



Tensions rise between the princesses as Celestia does not allow Luna to resume co-ruling Equestria

  • ...
22
 117
 7,018

The Plan

A short while ago, back in Canterlot, Celestia was signing a legal document; the document had a proposal for a large public park to be built in Manehattan. “Um, Princess Celestia, is Princess Luna not working with you?” The messenger, who was new at his job, and too nosy for it, asked.

“Well, for now, she is not, perhaps in the future,” Celestia answered, unconcerned with the class differences. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, I saw her flying down to Ponyville on my way here, and I thought it seemed strange that she didn't have an escort, so I figured she must not have been on official duty,” He said, before an irritated guard escorted him away.

Worry came over Celestia. She did not have time to deal with Luna, but she knew that after the argument they had earlier her sister could be doing any number of things, and leaving her alone was too risky. The kingdom would just have to handle itself for a little bit, she supposed. She dismissed her guards, unconcerned with their protests, and went to fetch a carriage. She would have rather flown on her own, which would have been faster, but such an action would have undoubtedly aroused too much suspicion, and she didn't want to worry her subjects. She told the guard leading the carriage to be as quick as possible, and they were off.

A bit later, they were rolling into Ponyville. Celestia wasn't sure just where Luna might have gone, so she told the stallion to take her to the library, figuring that Twilight would likely be somehow involved, plus the route would take her through most of town.

As they were coming up on Sugarcube Corner, Celestia noticed her sister and pupil conversing, it seemed that Luna wasn't being entirely too brash. She immediately told the guard leading her to turn and go down a side street. The guard obliged, and they were out of sight, hopefully before anyone had seen them. Celestia had a plan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They stared at Pinkie Pie, “You, uh, cold, Pinkie?” Applejack asked, but that didn't make sense, it was about as hot as it gets in Ponyville during this time of year.

“Maybe she's sick?” Twilight suggested, seeing if she had brought a book about illnesses with her. She hadn't.

“N-n-no, th-that's n-not it you g-guys,” Pinkie said, her body shaking harder. “S-something is g-g-going to h-happen.”

“Oh, right! Pinkie sense, or whatever,” Twilight said, as a rainbow pegasus came out of Sugarcube corner. “It wouldn't happen to be Rainbow Dash taking so long to come out here would it? That's pretty surprising.”

Rainbow was about to reply, but was silenced by the surprise of seeing both of the Princesses. Pinkie's shaking paused “No, but I think that might be!” She gestured behind Luna, where Celestia was now approaching. She looked very upset, and all of the other ponies drew back instinctively, particularly Twilight, who looked as though she wanted to hide.

“I see you have left Canterlot without my permission, sister!” Celestia boomed angrily, pacing in an arc around her subjects and sister. “Not only that, but it appears as though you are plotting something! Do you not respect me, your leader? Do you plan to try yet again to overthrow me?!”

Luna was stunned, and even a bit frightened, she had never seen her sister so angry before. It was entirely unlike her, usually being one of the calmest, wisest, and most forgiving ponies in Equestria. “No, Celestia, we were only trying to make some-”

“Quiet!” Celestia came closer. “In less than two days the longest day of the year shall come, and I shall be at my most powerful.” She stated, “You may spend your time as you wish until then, but you should hope that I will be forgiving when that dawn comes.” She glared at Luna, who despite being very frightened, stood her ground. Celestia then leaned in towards the cowering purple unicorn. “And Twilight, my student, I am ashamed of you for associating with her.” Twilight let out a light squeak and tried to shrink back even further than she already had.

Without another word, Celestia turned and left, leaving her subjects shaken. Twilight and Luna were especially disraught, with Luna looking terribly depressed, and Twilight ranting. “Oh no, oh no, Celestia's not going to send me back to magic kindergarten, she's never going to let me study magic ever again! Maybe I'll be exiled, oh, who knows...” She gloomily began walking back to the library, mentally preparing a list of the stuff she would need if she were forced to leave forever.

“Now now, Twi', I'm sure we'll work this out, I don't think Celestia was quite herself,” Applejack said, following Twilight and trying to comfort her.

“Well gosh...” Rainbow Dash remarked, also leaving, “I wonder what the context for that could have been.”

Luna looked about, dismayed, Pinkie Pie had slipped away at some point, she noticed; not that it mattered. This made no sense to Luna, it was obvious something was wrong with her sister. There was no way Celestia would ever jump to such a terrible conclusion so quickly. Luna could pursue her, but she didn't think it seemed like a good idea to confront her when she was so angry. For now, she would wait. She considered still going back to Canterlot, or perhaps speaking further with Twilight and her friends, but in the end she decided to find her way to the Everfree Forest; as the light of the day was only depressing her even further.

Luna saw a cottage resting at the border between Ponyville and the Everfree forest, she considered how very relaxing it would be to live in such a place, but continued by. She walked under the canopy of the trees and sighed, relieved to be out of the summer sun. She felt very tired, after the day's events, so with nothing else to do, she decided to sleep. She figured that the monsters in the forest probably wouldn't bother someone with her power, and if they did, she didn't really care much right now.