• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 7,019 Views, 117 Comments

Celestia's Trust - Kitsunin



Tensions rise between the princesses as Celestia does not allow Luna to resume co-ruling Equestria

  • ...
22
 117
 7,019

The Argument

“Celestia!” A dark coated mare shouted, finally spotting her older sister, who was trotting briskly through the main hall of the castle. She had an escort of several guards and seemed to be rather busy. The younger princess panted a few times before her face formed the irritation she had been too tired to portray a moment before. “Where have you been? You said that we could speak last night, but we never found you!”

The lighter colored unicorn paused, dismissing her escorts. “Oh, Luna...” She responded, pausing to listen to a messenger whispering into her ear, she nodded, told him something, and dismissed him. She then looked back to Luna, “I'm sorry, I've just been so busy lately, we have preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration and all.”

“Of course.” Luna said, slowly approaching Celestia. “But if you're so busy, why won't you let us help out? Surely if we had been spending our time doing something useful rather than wasting it searching for you, you would have the time to hear us out?”

Celestia's face flashed with worry for a brief moment. “Well, I had managed to take care of things quite nicely in your absence, I don't see why you can't use your time here for leisure and let me continue to run the kingdom, maybe make some friends, you know?”

Luna was a bit curious, it almost seemed that her sister wanted to work this hard. “Well...we think our time would be better spent helping you, then you could have time for leisure yourself. If we were organized I would think we could both have plenty of time for ourselves.” She paused, remembering the pony that had, in a sense, freed her. “And if you don't want the time for yourself...then I think your pupil Twilight Sparkle would be glad if you were able to spend more time with her.”

“Oh, there's no need to worry about me, little sister, I really do enjoy the work that I must do.” Celestia was still well composed, but her voice now had a worried edge to it. “Perhaps you could help just a little, fill out some forms, something like that.”

Luna looked displeased, she was becoming a bit more aggressive. “Well, we would really rather be more involved in the kingdom...we would also like to make some changes to the way things are run.” The mare was becoming more confident, and she continued on. “We have just as much power as you do, and we believe that we should have just as much say in things as you do.”

A small crowd of guards had gathered, just around the bend from one of the entrances to the hall. They were nervous, and some whispered to one another. Some had noticed that recently Luna was becoming contemptuous of her sister, who for some reason did not seem to trust her enough to allow her to take her old position back. They had heard of the Nightmare Moon incident, and worried that such a thing might happen again.

“Well.” Celestia said, having difficulty finding a response to give. “Look Luna, I really don't need your help, I can handle everything on my own, I've done it for a thousand years, and I can keep doing it for as long as need be, really.” She looked at Luna, her face had a faintly pleading look on it. “There's really no need to worry about me.”

Luna glared back. “We are not saying this for your sake, we do not see why we can't go back to managing the night, as we did before.” She stomped a hoof, no longer caring about appearances. “We don't see why you should find this so unreasonable, we believe we could manage both day and night ourselves, if we had to.”

Celestia's reserved look turned into a fierce glare. “Oh really, you think you could manage that, do you? I'll have you know it's much more difficult than you might think!” She took a deep breath, trying to remain composed. “For now, your magic has simply not recovered enough to do even your own part.”

“Perhaps my magic has not completely returned,” Luna reasoned, “However, that has nothing to do with the majority of the responsibilities you-we, have.”

“But I don't feel you have enough experience yet, and I'm also worried that the dark magic that controlled you before still remains within you. Why can you not wait?” Celestia asked.

“That terrible magic is gone!” Luna shouted, “I have waited long enough, and I will not wait much longer!”

Celestia looked frustrated, “We shall speak more later, younger sister, for now there is much to do. Perhaps I shall see that you have learned from your past mistakes. Until then, however, things will continue as they have been.”

“Very well.” Luna said curtly, turning and leaving the hall. The guards who had been observing the argument sighed, relieved that a conflict hadn't yet occurred. They were still uneasy, knowing that eventually Luna would not be so submissive, but it seemed the tensions hadn't risen as much as they had thought. None of them noticed that Luna had not gone in the direction of her room.

Luna left the hall through the back exit that was mainly used to reach the living quarters; however, that wasn't where she was headed. She circled around and casually walked towards and edge of the castle, looking over the edge as though she were simply enjoying the view. She looked about, quickly seeing if anyone was watching, and dove off the edge. After dropping to a low enough point that she wouldn't be too obvious, she unfurled her wings and flew off.

Back in the hall, Celestia looked hesitant. She knew that her sister was becoming fed up with her situation, and she should have been more trusting, but she still felt betrayed; having been forced to seal her away and do everything alone for a thousand years. She was hesitant to let Luna aid her again, and risk her becoming corrupted yet again. Not only that, but she actually somewhat preferred to do everything on her own. She called her guards back and continued her preparation work. She would have plenty of time to think everything over during the next couple of days.