• Published 11th May 2018
  • 3,642 Views, 341 Comments

The Issue of Multiple Sunsets - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof

  • ...
4
 341
 3,642

A question of consequence

After a nice shower and change of clothes, Sunset Shimmer now sat on her couch with a box of hot sesame noodles. Her friends, Trixie and the six she used magic and fought Equestrian dangers with, had come back to her apartment with her, and filled her in all that had happened while she ate. They talked over each other a little, filling in as much of the information as they possibly could. It did get a little difficult to follow, but Sunset felt she managed.

The strangest part of it to her was the idea of her apartment being some sort of Sunset Shimmer inter-dimensional motel. On one hand, it was kind of like having a bunch of strangers staying in her apartment (which, she supposed, made it more like an inter-dimensional Air B&B?). On the other, they were not entirely strangers seeing how they were supposedly different versions of her. It would be kind of like a ten year old being mad at their six year old self.

Or being mad at someone in this dimension for something their pony counterpart did in Equestria: which, Sunset Shimmer was loath to admit, she had done.

As the story continued, Sunset's thoughts drifted away from contemplation of her apartment and its recent visitor, and toward other matters. Or more accurately, the implications of the matter. Her attention turned to the nearly empty container, not really paying attention to the noodles. She poked at them with her chopsticks, stirring them around in the sauce at the bottom.

She did not even notice that her friends had stopped their story telling for several seconds, all watching her.

"Sunset?" one of them called out.

Blinking, Sunset Shimmer looked up from her noodles, her mind returning to the present as she noticed seven looks of concern direct toward her.

"Is something the matter, darling?" Rarity asked.

"You do look like something's eatin' at ya," Applejack added.

The rest gave their own comments of agreement.

A small smile tugged at Sunset Shimmer's lips at the sight. It was nice to be surrounded by friends, and to have so many that were concerned for her. Even if it felt to her like she had only seen them watching her in a magic performance just a few minutes ago.

The smile vanished as she looked down again, mind going back to what had caused it in the first place. After licking her lips, she let out a sigh.

"I'm just worried about what is going to happen because of it," she said.

"I don't think it will be too bad," Rainbow replied. "I mean, yeah, we'll probably have to fix the parking lot, but none of us did any..." She shifted, brow furrowing. "... much property damage." She then smirked. "And if anyone saw one of your other versions doing something, we have others elsewhere that could totally alibi you out."

Sunset Shimmer looked at Rainbow Dash, brow furrowing as she considered what she was just told. She had known that Rainbow Dash had a penchant for pranks, but had it actually gotten her into some legal trouble at some point?

"Thanks?" Sunset said. She then gave a shake of her head, pushing the question aside. "But that's not what I mean."

Lifting up her chopsticks, she waved them at the girls, sort of pointing at them.

"Look at what we've dealt with since we got our geodes: Gloriosa Daisy, Juniper Montage and her mirror, Vignette Valencia and her cellphone. That doesn't even include things like Wallflower Blush finding The Memory Stone, when Principal Celestia's greenhouse garden started singing, or Trixie being able to teleport. And those are the ones we know about. Who knows what else hasn't been found, or reported, or activated."

She set the Chinese food container down on the table and leaned back.

"All that pretty much came from one place: Equestria," she continued. "Now we have exposed this world to magic from a bunch of other worlds, there's now a magic box that could be an actual magic box, and even Principal Celestia has ponied up." She gave a shake of her head. "I can't believe all that could happen and we could just seal it all up again, having everything return back to the way it was before."

Tilting up, she looked at the ceiling for a long moment in silence.

"So, you think that the introduction of new, multi-dimension energy may have somehow created an increased change in our own reality?" Twilight asked.

"Pretty much."

Another few seconds passed.

"Well, so what?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Everyone turned to look at her.

"You're not worried about what will happen?" Fluttershy asked.

Rainbow Dash crossed her arms and blew air out from between her lips.

"Like Sunset said, we've dealt with all sorts of weird stuff already, and that didn't even include when she and Twilight went all evil, or the sirens. Could what happened change things?" She gave a shrug with one shoulder. "I don't know." She then smirked. "But even if it does, it's not going to be a big deal. Because whatever magic gets thrown at us, the seven of us together can handle it. Right?"

"Yeah!" Pinkie cried out, jumping up and pumping her hands in the air. The rest came around not long after, expressing their own agreement.

"Yeah," Sunset agreed, grinning widely. She still did not know what was going to happen, but a reminder that she had such great friends that would stick with her through whatever happened made the idea easier to deal with.

There was a knock on the door, getting everyone's attention.

"I'll get it," Pinkie offered, zipping over to the door. She pulled it open, and let out a gasp.

Equestria's Princess Twilight Sparkle stepped into the apartment, in her human form. She looked very much like the Twilight Sparkle of the human world, only with her hair down and not wearing any glasses. Her eyes glanced around, taking in everyone before stopping on Sunset.

"What's going on?" she asked. "I came as soon as I got Twilight's message."

"I guess that the portal is working again," Sci-Twi said, adjusting her glasses.

Sunset Shimmer smiled and motioned toward an empty chair.

"Have a seat. We'll fill you in."