• Published 20th Apr 2018
  • 555 Views, 11 Comments

Our Lives Among The Equine - Fabian Corcair



We "animals" never get to speak in your language, Equines, but we do have some interesting tales to tell. Some perhaps disturbing. (And also, some Equines have disproportionate say in this, which I'm highly against)

  • ...
 11
 555

Nature nurtures---part 1

A cacophony of nocturnal chirps voiced themselves deep in the dark Everfree forest's canopy, vying for attention. It settled in the background, drowned out by the surging blood pounding in my ear.

I galloped in a hurry, snarling Timberwolves running through the trees a distance apart, following me with vicious intent.

My run slowed to a stop, the wolves came out of the undergrowth, congregating in a circle around me with every wolf in prowling stance. My face stoic.

My eyes caught the moon's blazing light. I face upwards at it, and I howl.

My siblings howled with me. We do it to together enhance our sound, claiming our prey from the wolves on the next territory. Our sniffs told us there's a sweet unnatural scent that belonging to the ponies a short run from here. We all learned this collectively by our instincts and/or taught by actions. We depart our ways in two groups, crossing the treacherous wood. This was our day.

On the run, a light glimmered in middle of trees, drawing us to their position. We circle them to the other side, avoiding making ruffling noises and keeping the distance lest it detect us. Once we get close, we hid behind the bushes. We peer at the winged stranger carrying light.

"Hello?" called out a winged pony with an ambrosial voice, it reeks of worry. An unknown giant stranger towered over. I smell fear, fear from the pony, and my sisters and brothers. Neither of our group on the other side wouldn't engage the bear.

Those cowards! I've already decided. I would engage first. Lead by example. I splint to them and stopped at five times me away. "Grr," I trilled. I hear a yelp, I expected more from this pony.

Her face paralyzed in sheer, daunting terror. My heart pounding with excitement. Her expression shifted to a sheer, squeaky buoyancy.

"Rar?" I am stumped. What is the deal with this winged pony?

"Is that you Applejack?" spoke the pony.

"Huh?"

"It's me, Fluttershy! Do you recognize me?"

I shake my head. I thought I heard that name before? Forget it, I have a job to do.

“Grrr!” I trill.

“Why are you growling at me, you’re my friend... And a pony?”

I snarl.

The tall cloaked stranger grumbled, a sound typical of a bear.

She placed a bag on the ground, digging in around the stuff inside. “Keep the other wolves away, Harry.” She gazed straight at my eyes in a compassionate, sorrowful manner. “Hey, Applejack, I don’t want us to fight, but if things escalate qui---"

I lunge at the pony and chomp my teeth into his neck, grabbing onto the whole neck with my teeth. The skin nearly was broken under my blunt teeth.

“Son of the Celestia!” she barely whispered with a scratchy, choking voice. “Applejack, would you mind letting me go?” She gave me a shake, patting her wings on my head.

Meanwhile, the bear swept her paws away at any Timberwolf who would try to save me, or attack the winged pony or distract the bear with a barrage of pelting. All attacks were to no result, not enough wolves would attack at once to overwhelm the bear allowing them to go past him. It’s heart-rending to see their cowardice, hanging from her neck. I focus back on her neck, she’ll be unconscious like the other animals, and I defeat the bear with a swift kick. No prey would escape me.

“Aha, found it,” she creaked, almost falling unconscious.

I felt a sharp poke on the side of my rear.

“Aroo?”

I let go of Fluttershy’s neck, dropping her to the ground. She started to pant in deep heavy breaths. I bolt across the road, hoping that the pain will go away, leaving everyone behind.

“Applejack!”

The others eventually retreat with me, no one will face the bear or the winged pony. My body felt fuzzy, so I took a stop to rest. My mind drifts away, leaving the other wolves confused, waiting for me to wake up.

Fluttershy galloped to the pack of wolves breathless but was halted by a wall of defensive Timberwolves.

“Aw,” she cooed, “you’re willing to defend a friend from anyone. How venerable of you. But I'm agraid I have to rescue my friend no matter what it takes, so would you please let me have her? ”

They growled.

“Please? Or else you leave me no choice but to use The Stare.”

They growled some more.

“Alright, you asked for it.” She glared.

Her eyes bored into all of their dark souls, boiling their visions with an omnipotent fear.

They whimpered and sprinted away from the legitimately scary winged pony.

She trotted casually to sleeping Applejack. “Don’t worry, Applejack, I’ll take you home and batch you up. Oh dear, I hope you can integrate back into society.”

Applejack lay there on the ground, a sleeping dart sticking out of her plot.