• Published 16th Apr 2018
  • 1,776 Views, 40 Comments

Guilt: An Applejack Story - CapNTilfy



A past trauma haunts Applejack. Book 5 of "Not Just Any Old Day"

  • ...
3
 40
 1,776

Breakdown

The Shadowbolts watched Applejack in stunned silence. Sunny Flare was the first to snap out of it. "We can't just stand here, we have to do something!" she said, snapping her schoolmates back to reality.

"But what can we do?" asked Sugarcoat. "Didn't we all fail psychology?"

"Well we can't just hop over the counter and straddle her, we'd get arrested!" said Lemon Zest.

"Maybe calling out her name will help?" said Indigo Zap. "Applejack! Snap out of it!"

"Don't cause a scene!" said Sour Sweet.

"This is already a scene, Sour." said Sugarcoat.

Indigo called Applejack's name one more time.

Applejack, still oblivious to everything happening, felt her anxiety violently clutch her stomach. She made a mad dash to the restrooms and became sick to her stomach.

The Shadowbolts ran after Applejack and into the bathroom. Sunny Flare went in first, held Applejack's hair with one hand, and gently rubbed her back with the other. She managed to keep her composure despite Applejack's moaning and retching. She looked at her fellow Shadowbolts. "Sugarcoat, Sour Sweet, go back to the Aunt Orange Smoothie stand and try to get a hold of her boss. Let whoever's in charge know what's happening."

Sugarcoat and Sour Sweet nodded and left the bathroom.

"Lemon Zest, I know you like heavy metal, but if you have any soft rock or calming music in your MyPod, queue it up and I'll put the headphones on her."

"On it!" said Lemon as she scrolled through her musical selections.

"Indigo. While Lemon's scrolling for music, try to verbally comfort Applejack. I'm worried that if I keep talking I'll end up getting sick myself!"

Indigo blinked. "I'll try, but I'm not one for motivational speeches."

"Just say encouraging things to her before I throw up all over both of you, dammit!"

"Okay, okay!" Indigo said in a bit of a panic.

---------------------------------------------

A few minutes later, after Applejack dry heaved for the second time, she slowly stood up and faced Sunny.

Sunny Flare looked at Applejack with great concern. "Hey. Are you oka-" She was cut off as Applejack launched at her and hugged her tightly, almost immediately bursting into tears, crying into her chest. Sunny blinked, then returned the hug and gently stroked Applejack's hair in an effort to comfort her.

"Okay, we managed to get a hold of one of her supervisors. They know as much as we do at this point." said Sour Sweet as she and Sugarcoat returned from outside the bathroom. They both froze in place as soon as they noticed Applejack and Sunny Flare hugging and heard the former's muffled sobs.

"Well at least she's not vomiting anymore." said Sugarcoat. Sour Sweet rolled her eyes.

Finally feeling her tears subside, Applejack slowly raised her head out from Sunny's chest. "Hey." said Sunny. "Feeling better?"

Applejack wiped away her tears. "I guess. As good as I'm gonna get for now." she said as she broke the hug.

"What was that all about?" asked Lemon Zest.

Applejack grabbed a paper towel and blew her nose. "It's a long story, and I'm not all too comfortable talking about it."

"Are you sure?" ask Indigo Zap.

"Yeah. I'm sure." said Applejack.

"Sugarcoat and I spoke to one of your supervisors after you ran off." said Sour.

Applejack sighed and looked at her phone. "Well, my shift's about over anyway." she said. "Oh, and girls?"

The Shadowbolts looked at her, their expressions of concern remaining.

"Thank you." said Applejack.

"Don't mention it." Said Sunny Flare, smiling.

---------------------------------------------

After speaking with her supervisor, Applejack changed from her uniform to her regular clothes. Boss told me to take a personal day off. I don't like the idea, but it might just be what I need. she thought as she checked her phone for text messages.

Just sending a lil' update-a-roonie! No changes, good or bad. She's zonked out on the couch.- Sent by Pinkie Pie

Well at least she's not feeling worse, darling!- Sent by Rarity

Sometimes no news is good news.- Sent by Twilight Sparkle

She'll need the rest, I won't hold back on her when we play!- Sent by Rainbow Dash

That sounds promising!- Sent by Fluttershy

Lord knows I could use one right about now. thought Applejack, and sent a text.

My shift's over, I'll be there in a while.- Sent by Applejack

---------------------------------------------

On her way back home to pick up her toolbox and some guard rails, Applejack let her thoughts wander.

I can't believe what happened back there! I'm supposed to be the calm one! She took a deep breath and exhaled, relaxing slightly. That all came out of nowhere. I can't remember the last time I got that sick to my stomach. She could still taste the vomit on her tongue, no matter how many sips she took of her smoothie. Well, at least that's over with.

---------------------------------------------

Arriving at home, Applejack searched for her toolbox. Before she could find it, she nearly ran into Apple Bloom.

"Hey, Applejack. You feeling any better?"

"Sorry, lil' sis, I need to get to Sunset's pronto. I promise I'll talk to you, Big Mac, and Granny Smith tomorrow." said Applejack. She then noticed the worried look on her younger sister's face. "I'm feeling better for now." She said as she tousled Apple Bloom's hair.

Apple Bloom looked at her sister. "I sure hope so. You had us worried near sick this morning!"

Oof. Poor choice of words, sugarcube. Applejack rolled her eyes when her sister wasn't looking. "I'll be back in a bit! See ya later!" she said as she continued her search for the toolbox. Once she found her toolbox, she then made her way to the hardware store to get guard rails for Sunset Shimmer's staircase.

---------------------------------------------

Applejack found a parking spot close to Sunset's home. She took out her toolbox, a bag with two smoothies in it, and several guard rails. She stopped in front of Sunset's and did a couple of stretches, prepping herself for more hard work. She knocked on the door.

"It's unlocked!" said Sunset from within. Applejack opened the door.

Author's Note:

I honestly don't know where one goes to get guard rails. ^_^;

This chapter ends directly before Good for What Ails Ya in Sunset Shimmer's Sick Day.