• Published 15th Apr 2018
  • 198 Views, 2 Comments

The tune of compassion - SaltWriter the leviapony



This is my first octa scratch story. And it's a bit untraditional. Don't hate me too much for it.

  • ...
 2
 198

Childhood innocence

It was a sunny day in the streets of canterlot. Ponies went about their daily business as the day went by. One of these was a male earth pony, with a small, grey filly beside him.

The young filly trotted beside her father, lugging the large cello case on her back. She had been raised all her life in the art of music and refined ladyhood. Which had made her life one long schedule that her dad planned out for her. As they walked, she spotted a small ice cream stand, and tugged at her fathers coat.

“Father, could we stop quickly and get some ice cream? We have time for it and I've been a really good girl.” Her father stopped walking and looked at her, his blue eyes looking down sternly.

“Sweet dessert make a lady fat Octavia. It would be unwise to make such a action. Besides, we've to get to your next music recital in an hour.”

“Please?” Octavia looked at her father with that childhood innocence that melted one's heart, and her father nodded. Octavia cheered, and ran to one of the tables in the plaze, her father watching the whole time.

“I wish you were here right now honey, maybe then I could see if this is what you wanted for her.” With that, he got in line for the treat.

Octavia placed her small case beside the chair and opened it up. Inside was a small cello and a notebook made for music. She took out the book and flipped to near the back, past her notes and homework to the pages where she drew and wrote for fun.

As she wrote in the book, she stopped as she heard a sound. While sounds were to be expected in a crowded plaza, this one was different, like beats on a drum. Octavia looked around and finally saw what it was making the sound, or rather, who.

A small white unicorn was sitting in the side of an alley. She had a dark blue mane that was poorly kept and covered in marks from dirt. Her coat was also covered in spots of various types of filth and stains. Despite this, her dark red eyes glowed as she tapped a tune out on discarded trash can lids and some broken spoons.

She continued to listen to the pony, scooting closer in her chair to hear it better. The music was something she had never heard before, being fast paced and having dips in the sound. It was strange to Octavia, who was raised on the slow, string and brass of classical.

As she listened, she didn't notice her father come up with the ice cream and sit down at the table. He quickly noticed her expression, and followed it to the alley, seeing the unicorn playing on the tins.

“Ugh, can you believe no one is trying to get that filly to go away?” Her father exclaimed, giving the bottle of water he bought a sip. “That utter trash she is playing is getting on my nerves.”

“But daddy.” Octavia replied, finally noticing her father and the sweet treat on the table. “That doesn't sound like trash to me. I actually think it's interesting.” Her father looked at her and gave her a light tap on the head.

“Don't go mixing up sound for music Octavia. You're a musician in training, that is just static noise from a foal. Now, finish your treat so we can get going.” Octavia nodded and began to eat her ice cream, still watching and listening to the unicorn.

Once they finished, they began to walk down the road again, Octavia still watching the foal. Before they went far, she pulled at her father's shirt and pointed at the foal.

“Where do you think she lives?” Octavia asked with her childhood ignorance “I want to see her again and try to become friends.”

“That foal probably lives in the trash with all the other orphaned foals whose parents can't afford the payment for the orphanage. Though that doesn't concern us, since they'll probably die from the lack of food and love.” Octavia gasped at her father's blunt words, but he said no more as they continued to walk.

Vinyl looked at the crowds of unicorns and shrugged. It seemed she wouldn't get any more bitts out of them for today. She picked up the various items she used for an instrument, and began to return to the small alley where she slept. As she walked back, she could hear the sound of small hoofsteps rapidly approaching from the street. Turning around, she saw the small foal that had been watching her from the tables, carrying a small bag in her mouth.

She gave the foal a curious look as she dropped the bag onto the floor. Breathing hard from running with the large instrument on her back.

“I'm… so glad… I caught you.” The foal stated through breaths. Vinyl simply sat, waited for the foal to continue on or walk away. She dropped the case onto the ground and opened it, taking out an item she had never seen before.

“I really like the music you were making, and I was hoping you and I could try a duet. That is if you're ok with that.” Vinyl looked at the foal in confusion, her voice was not only strange, but she spoke about things she didn't know.

“What's the matter, don't you understand me?” Vinyl nodded, being the only thing she could do to convey the scenario. “Then why don't you say something to me?”

Vinyl opened her mouth to show the foal the problem, and she gasped. Vinyl was unable to speak due to being born without a tongue. Vinyl then closed her mouth and shrugged, hoping the foal would go away now. But instead she moved closer, and gave her a hug.

“I'm sorry things are like this. But I hope I can make you a little happier.” She quickly went back to her case and pulled out a large object from a case. She quickly tuned it, then turned back to vinyl.

“My dad will probably be coming soon. So, can we maybe play some music together? Please?” Vinyl gave her a smile, and began to tap out a rhythm for her. The two began to play together, not to any particular song, but to the beat of whatever comes to them. It make a nice sound, a mix of instruments and improvised tools to make a unique sound.

Before the two could conclude the song they were playing, vinyl stopped cold, looking behind the mare she had been playing with. Octavias father was standing behind them, his eyes blazing with anger at the sight. Octavia soon noticed this, and turned to see her fathers expression.

“Daddy, I'm sorry I did this, but don't..” before she could finish, her father walked past her and smacked the white unicorn across the face. The blow left a visible cut just above and below the eye. Vinyl simply sat in silence, unable to yell or get help.

“Filthy street foal, get away from my daughter!!” He threw a second hoof, hitting vinyl on the other of her face. She quickly ran away, leaving a trail of tears and blood in the way.

Octavia tried to say something, but her father picked her up, along with the wallet she had grabbed, and began to walk away down the street.

“You're lucky you're so late for your recital” her father muttered angrily. “We will discuss this later. For now, we are leaving.” Octavia knew that she wasn't going to win an argument with her father, and simply sat on his back, looking behind her as the young foal she had met came out to see her go

Author's Note:

Again, this is my own interpretation. Don't hate me too much for it.