• Published 14th Apr 2018
  • 3,039 Views, 235 Comments

A Time to Think - The Sonic Mage



Mercy isn't just about sparing others. It's about helping them to their feet, and keeping them steady as they travel forward.

  • ...
3
 235
 3,039

Chapter 3: A Royal Hearing

The silence emanating from Chrysalis was deafening. The two had only been alone for less then a minute, but the unending quiet made it feel like hours, bordering on days even. Thorax stared at Chrysalis with an expecting gaze. He was slightly taller than her due to the throne on which he sat. Chrysalis on the other hand, just sat on the floor with her head hung low. Her long, green mane drooped down just as much. It came down over her face, hiding the eyes that refused to look up and the ones of the king. Thorax could sense her anger and disgust. It was even a little nauseating. After what seemed like an eternity, it was Thorax who broke the silence between them.

“Is there...anything I can get you?” He said with a little unsure smile. At this point, he had regressed from the confident, calm king to the more nervous, but kind Changeling that he was known to be. Chrysalis however, did not take his question well. Her rage and disgust boiled, as she raised her head to glare at the king that was before her. She still refused to make eye contact, but Chrysalis’ eyes still burned with the raw anger within.

“What,” she hissed through clenched fangs, “What did you say?” Thorax tried to keep cool.

“I asked, can I get you anything?” Thorax levitated over a teapot and two cups, as to bring attention to them. Chrysalis seathed.

“You have captured me, bound me in chains, and you dare to offer me TEA!!” Chrysalis’ voice definitely shook the ceiling.

“I am trying to be a good host. Guests deserve respect.” Thorax continued to keep up his shaky but calm demeanor. Chrysalis’ temper only grew more sour.

“You are my warden, and I am your prisoner! And you’re treating me like a guest at a dinner party! How incompetent are you?!” Her voice carried her rage, the words laced with burning poison. The restraints weighed her down, but it was clear that if she got the chance...she would jump across the room and ring his neck. Thorax’s frustrations were starting to grade on him like foreign dignitaries, and it was starting to show.

“Chrysalis, if you think showing mercy and kindness is being stupid and incompetent, then I’m sorry to say, you have some serious problems.” Thorax’s voice began to raise in volume. His tone starting to gain elements of his frustration, stress...and hint of guilt.

“Mercy is for the weaklings, like you!” Chrysalis’ enraged monologue seemed to have no end. “You were always the least capable, so pathetic! It really shouldn’t have surprised me that you would plot to overthrow me!” That remark caught Thorax off guard.

“What?” His face perfectly reflected how perplexed he was

“Don’t play dumb with me, you filthy rat! You lead your pathetic ‘friends’ to my empire, so that you could bump me out of the picture and take it all for yourself!” Chrysalis grinded her teeth, as she spit on the ground. Every second her rage grew. Every time she spoke, it was like her voice got louder.

“We were trying to save all the ponies that you kidnaped. We never planning to usurp you!” Thorax’s attempts to remain stoic were quickly crumbling. Like a sandcastle at high-tide.

“Oh, an after thought I’m sure,” Chrysalis sarcastically retorted, “Even if that were true, The Princesses would have me executed!” She continued loudly.

“You could have at least tried talking to them,” Thorax responded, “their not those kinds of rulers. Celestia most of all!” His voice had become one of a pony who was weary of pointing out other, better options. Chrysalis simply continued her sarcastic retorts.

Gasp! What’s this? Diplomacy?” Chrysalis continued, “This is surprising! Especially coming from a slimey, thieving bug!” Tears began to form behind Thorax’s eyes. But it was not because of Chrysalis’ name calling.

“I didn’t steal anything from you!” His voice had become shaky as he tried not to let himself go.

“Liar! You say didn’t seal the Crown, the Throne, the Hive?” Chrysalis obviously did not believe him. “Well then, if you didn’t steal them, how did come to have them? How does a pathetic, incompetent rat like you come into so much power?” She glared at him, expecting an answer to her question.

“...”Silence was all he could offer.

“You’re such a disappointment. I can practically smell the guilt coming off you.” Her comment did not end there. “Oh, but you think it’s something that I did. Well go on then ‘Oh great and wise ruler’, what did I do. What great atrocity did I commit.” She continued to wait for an answer.

“...” Thorax was at his limit.

“ANSWER ME, you coward! WHAT DID I DO!” Chrysalis shouted

“YOU ABANDONED EVERYTHING!!!” But Thorax was much, much louder. He was clearly trying not to cry. “You left it all behind!!! Everything you had! Everything you ever built!! Everything you ever LOVED!!!” Chrysalis was frozen, had never heard Thorax yell before. In fact, noling had heard him even shout for a second. Not as an imp or a grown seeker. And it did not end there. “You left your Crown, your Throne, your Hive, YOUR PEOPLE!!! You ABANDONED US! You were offered a chance to lead us into a new Golden Age, and you threw it away for WHAT?! Some half-baked plan that would fail harder than your attempt to ruin somepony’s WEDDING DAY?!?!” His words shook Chrysalis to her core. The amount of anger and anguish coming from him was scary. Thorax’s breathing was heavy, shaky and his eyes were on the verge of bursting into tears. “YOU left the throne behind Chrysalis. Someling had to pick it up. Maybe not willingly, but someling had to.” After many more heavy breaths and silence, Thorax took action. With a glow of his horn and regal antlers, he invoked the hive-mind, and called forth 4 Changeling guards. They entered hastily and stopped just in front of Chrysalis, who had her head hung low. No longer in anger, but in shame. The guards made their presence known.

“You called Your High-- uh, Thorax?” At this point, Thorax had forgotten about his pet peeves. He turned his attention to two of the guards.

“Escort Chrysalis to the Infirmary. Make sure she receives proper medical care. Am I understood?” Thorax’s voice was rained from all the yelling he had done, and his voice was still shaky and low. However, the guards did not ask any questions. They gave a simple nod, took up the chains and began to take Chrysalis to see the doctor. She made no attempt to resist the troopers leading her away. As they left, the other two stepped closer to the Throne. Thorax turned his attention to them.

“Have a room prepared for Chrysalis to stay in, and make sure it’s comfortable. She will be escorted to the room after she as recovered. Am I understood?” Once again they gave a simple nod, and went off to perform their assigned task. For the second time that day, the Throne Room doors closed, once again leaving Thorax alone in the quiet. But it was no longer a comforting provider of peace. It was unsettling, and only gave him goosebumps. He hated the large empty space. He needed to get out of there. In a flash, he was in his personal chambers. He slowly walked over to the vanity in his room. He sat in front of it and just stared at his reflection. His eyes finally gave up. He just sat in front of the vanity…

and cried.

Author's Note:

And you wonder why I added the drama tag.