• Published 14th Apr 2018
  • 3,039 Views, 235 Comments

A Time to Think - The Sonic Mage



Mercy isn't just about sparing others. It's about helping them to their feet, and keeping them steady as they travel forward.

  • ...
3
 235
 3,039

Chapter 21: In Regards to Royalty

And another book was added to the pile. An average pony might recommend to Chrysalis that she pace herself and take a break between each book. To which she would reply with either a glare, hiss, or just flat-out ignore them. At this point, she wasn’t going through her books like fire wood for entertainment. Now she was doing it for distraction. While her subconscious hadn’t spoken up in a while, that didn’t stop dark thoughts from entering her mind. Her attempts at imagining a field of green grass, butterflies, and pixies were thwarted by images of hail-fire and brimstone. And all the while, that stupid voice in her head kept randomly spewing out incomplete words. The fact that the mental noise was growing in clarity just made things worse.

Chrysalis longed for the moment that she could get out of that-

‘Prison,’ The word just popped into her head. Immediately, Chrysalis shook her head furiously, as if the word would eventually fall out of her head through her ears. To her dismay, it stayed right where it was. Chrysalis hated it.

However, when one is alone for too long, they often have too much time to think. And when a train of thought gets started, there’s hardly any stopping it.

Chrysalis didn’t want to pay the idea any mind, but she couldn’t help thinking about it. The more she considered her circumstances, the more the word stuck.

She was in a closed space with a locked door that she could not open, and she couldn’t leave of her own accord. All things considered, it did feel like a-

‘Prison Cell’, There it was again. Chrysalis shook her head again, almost picking up one of the hardcover books in her pile to smash against her head.

‘This is not a prison cell’, she repeated again and again in her mind. She tried desperately for images of the Canterlot Castle royal dungeon to not manifest in her imagination. The effort was taxing.

‘No, no, no, no!’ It felt like she was trying to hold back a river all on her own.

Eventually her mind drifted off to other places, but the dread remained in the corners of her psyche.

Chrysalis groaned in exhaustion. “I’ll just sleep the hours away,” She said.
She rolled out the sleeping bag and placed the pillow at the head of it.

After a few seconds of padding the bag with her hooves, she laid on top of the sleeping bag and gently lay her head into the pillow. She then closed her eyes, trying to find a quiet place in her head. Just one solitary, quiet place. She focused on that one spot and stayed there. Away from all the sobbing, screaming, anachronistic thoughts, and all the noise.

All except for one.

‘Ru… Ru… Ru…’

That strange voice in her head.

‘Un…Un…Un…’

That repetitive,-

‘Ru… Ru… Ru…’

Persistent,-

‘Un…Un…Un…’

Unrelenting voice stuck with her.

All the way to sleep.

Her fitful, fear-filled, paranoid sleep.

Author's Note:

I feel like this story is coming closer and closer to a close...

What do you think?