• Published 12th Apr 2018
  • 3,398 Views, 37 Comments

Return to Sender - Chemtest

  • ...
19
 37
 3,398

Courier

He walks calmly, the dust within the wind pelting his duster. It gets trapped in his filthy, black hair that stinks of blood. His brown eyes remain unprotected, yet the dust seems to avoid them.

A creature crawls out of the ground, and tries to run into the distance. It never gets to take a step.

He rips the revolver out of his holster, and fires at the horrid creature.

The Tunneler explodes into bits of blood and guts, the explosion from the shot killing it instantly.

He smiles as he kicks past the blood, not caring if it makes his boots any more filthy.

He gets to the end of the path, and turns around. His eyes behold the collapsed buildings once again. He can barely pick out the shapes of Marked Men rushing about in a panic, and fighting off the rabid Tunnelers.

He looks into the distance, spotting the end of the Divide. A building that has collapsed, and killed the only other human that knew what he had done. Ulysses was a good Courier, and he gave up the gift of the nukes. Now they can be used as they should, killing the guilty and corrupt instead of the innocents within the Mojave.

He turns his back on the destroyed town, and continues back to the Mojave.

———

He smiles as he picks the duster out of the box. The final gift from Ulysses, and quite a good one at that.

He slips out of his battered, old duster and slips on the new one. A nice, yellow ‘21’ sits on the back of the duster.

With that done, he looks into the distance. An earth shattering boom reaches him, and two mushroom clouds can be seen.

Yet there were a lot more than two nukes. And a lot more than two targets.

The Long 15, Mariposa, Boneyard, Necropolis, Arroyo, New Reno, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Denver, and the place where the Twisted Hairs used to live.

Both the NCR and the Legion almost destroyed in the same day.

The Courier laughs as he thinks about what he’s done. Getting revenge on the NCR, stopping the Legion, protecting New Vegas. All in a giant explosion. How beautiful.

Yet, as he is enjoying the sight, a shot rings out.

The Courier jumps behind a rock, and hears bullets impact it.

He smiles, and takes out his rocket sledgehammer. He holds it in front of him, and chucks it back whilst activating the rocket.

The sledgehammer spirals through the air, spinning like a sideways boomerang. The rocket hits the NCR soldier in the face, exploding and killing the soldier instantly.

The Courier vaults over the rock when he hears the explosion, drawing out his grenade chainsaw. Two soldiers stand side by side, trying to wipe off the blood of the comrade that is now on them.

Neither of them notice as the Courier charges them and revs his grenade chainsaw. Until he reaches one of them, and cuts through them. Each time the grenade hits the body, it explodes, and the next one hits.

The Courier looks at the other soldier as he raises his gun. He knocks the rifle out of the soldier’s hands, and raises his Pip-Boy. He does this so he can instantly wrap a land mine around his fist. He exits out of the Pip-Boy, and punches the soldier in his face. The landmine explodes on impact, killing the soldier.

The Courier looks down at his new duster, and sighs as he sees the bloodstains on it. Yet he doesn’t have much time to care, as he hears a shout, “Retribution!”

A Legionary comes around a rock, machete drawn and charging. The Courier responds promptly, picking a grenade out of his pocket.

He charges up to the man, easily dodging a slash of the machete. The Courier grabs his arm, and breaks it, causing the machete to fall to the ground. With that done, he kicks the man in the leg with the heel of his boot. A crunch sounds out, and the man has to kneel.

The Courier takes the pin out of his grenade, and shoves it into the man’s mouth. He looks up to see more rounding the corner. So he picks the man up, and shoves him towards the others.

The man crumbles to the ground, halting the advance of his comrades. Then the grenade goes off. It kills him instantly, and disables the other two.

The Courier sighs, and throws a mini nuke towards the group.

He turns to face New Vegas in the distance, and leaves without looting a single body there.

———

Julia Farkas smiles as he walks in, “Ah, Courier, you’ve been gone for a while.”

He smiles, “Well, I was busy. Had an old friend to meet. Met a new friend as well.” He leans on a table, “If a cocky ghoul named Dean Domino comes in here, allow him in.” He picks up his Pip-Boy arm, “I have a lot of medicine here for you. Ten stimpacks, twenty Med-X, fifty cases of Rad-Away and Rad-X, some tins of Fixer, and thirty Doctor’s Bags. Oh, I also have some information to relay to Arcade.”

She nods, “Go ahead.”

He takes out five holotapes, “Tell him to give these to Veronica.” He takes a duster, and places it on the table, “Tell him he can have my old duster, if he wants.” He smiles, and takes out a shiny, new anti-material rifle, “Oh, and get this to Boone as a birthday present.”

She nods, “I’ll make sure to do that. Thank you for the donations, many people’s lives will be saved by them.”

He nods as he exits the office, “See ya later, Julia, I’ll have more medicine.”

And so he walks out of the Old Morman Fort, and onto the streets of Freeside.

No longer is Freeside the slums it once was. Street vendors and stores sit on every corner, and paid militia wander the streets to stop crime. Each group of the militia have at least one Securitron.

The Courier walks up to one of the groups, “Howdy. Might I be able to talk with Yes Man?”

The leader of the group smiles and nods, “Sure ya can, Courier. Go right on ahead.”

Yes Man turns to face me, “Ah, Courier! I didn’t know you had arrived back!”

The Courier smiles, “Well, I was on my way out, actually. I may be gone for a while, so I just wanted to let you know.”

Yes Man speaks once more, “Alright then!”

He nods, “Oh yeah, could you get the basement of the Lucky 38 expanded?”

Yes Man’s screen flickers, “And why is that?”

The Courier motions to the gates, “There are nukes out there. I am going to go secure them, and bring them back. I need the Lucky 38 to be able to hold them.”

Yes Man nods the best he can, “I’m already on it!”

He smiles, “Thanks, Yes Man.” He nods to the militia, “Go on ahead.”

———

The Courier pushes open the doors. Yet the door gives without any resistance. Odd, but it’s a pre-war facility, things are always odd.

He sees the nuke in the center of the room, and walks up to it.

Yet when he reaches the nuke, he hears someone cough.

His eyes widen, and he quickly smashes open the glass that holds the switch to explode.

He then spins around, keeping his hand near the switch. He is met with the sight of NCR soldiers and Legionnaires, all with deadly weaponry pointed right at him. He smiles as he sees two men approaching him, “Ah, Vulpes, Oliver. You two come here often?”

Oliver glares at him with undisguised hate, “Courier. Do you even know what you have done?”

He scratches his chin, “Well, I ate a deathclaw pie for lunch, talked to Julia, walked over here-“

Oliver shouts, “You killed thousands of innocent people, you madman!”

He holds a finger up, “Innocent is very subjective, Oliver. They continued to live in your nation, even though they knew what you people have done to me.”

Oliver takes an aggressive step forward, “And what the hell have we done to you?!”

He thinks for a bit, “Good question, actually. I can remember exactly.” He leans forward, looking Oliver in the eyes, “And honestly, I don’t give a shit. I know it was something big. Just like those nuclear explosions. And the death toll.” He looks over to Vulpes, “And I know that you aren’t going to chew me out. I hope to god you don’t, or I will pull this switch even faster.”

Vulpes smiles slightly, “I have to admit, I respect you, Courier. The Legion is your enemy, and you fought against us. You struck deep. In one explosion, you now have instilled terror into us.”

He sighs, “Don’t phrase it like that. You’ll make me sound like a Muslim!” He looks at Vulpes, “Say it some different way. Like ‘I made your life more exciting by adding explosives’. See, that makes me sound like Michal Bay, who doesn’t want to be like Bay?”

Vulpes loses his smile, “I don’t really care anymore. You stole Ceaser’s life, and I shall take yours in exchange. You are weak compared to the Legion, and dumb compared to me.”

The Courier looks at Vulpes, “Well at least I don’t look like some ugly ass furry decided to vore me! And what about those glasses huh? What, you fucking blind? How do you even see out of something so black? And what about that skirt? What are you, fucking Scottish?”

Vulpes draws his machete, “You’ll pay for your insolence, profligate!”

Oliver holds out his hand, “Vulpes, stop!”

He looks over at Oliver, “And what about you, huh? Your uniform looks like someone with diarrhea shat all over you!”

Oliver draws his revolver, “Nevermind! Vulpes, let’s kill this bastard!”

The Courier smiles, and gives them both the middle finger, “My final words shall be marked down as such. Fuck the both of you!”

He pulls the switch, causing the nuke to go off immediately.

———

Yet he never feels the immense heat. He slowly opens his eyes.

He sees his middle finger still up, inches away from the face of a pony with white fur.

Celestia looks at the finger, and at the man, “I feel very offended by this.”