• Published 16th Apr 2018
  • 4,170 Views, 39 Comments

August In Black - Stellar_



The Changelings have lost. Their cities destroyed, their Queen dead. Yet the war is not over. A bomber crew is assigned one final mission to remind the Equestrians of this fact: By using a Nuclear bomb to wipe the city of Las Pegasus off the map.

  • ...
5
 39
 4,170

Warned But Did Not Heed

“Engine One…”

To my left, the farthest engine coughed, smoke spewing out the back, before it sputtered and caught, flames shooting out the exhaust, the propeller chopping at the air.

“Engine Two…”

I flipped the switch, the inside engine springing to life, adding to the rumble and noise of the first.

“Engine Three, Engine Four…”

To my right, both engines hummed softly. The rumble of all four engines running together was amplified by the thick concrete walls that surrounded them, the sound bouncing off the arched ceiling.

Confirming that they were running smoothly, I sat back in my seat and sighed. “Status?”

“We’re running good. Everything’s nominal, though I would advise waiting for the RPM to rise to see if anything goes wrong.” My copilot replied, watching the needles tick upwards. Eventually they stabilized, hovering at the correct range.

“Alright. We’re good.”

I slowly pushed the throttle to full, the roar of the engines and shaking of the aircraft growing in intensity and reaching a crescendo of noise, almost deafening. The power of the engines seemed like it should shake the aircraft apart, and yet the bomber did not even inch from its position.

I counted down. “Three… two… one…” And then I pulled the lever.

The aircraft lurched forward, the clamps and brakes that had held the aircraft in place now disabled. I constantly made small adjustments using the control column and pedals. There was, at max, three feet between each wingtip and the concrete wall. They couldn’t afford an impact. There was no room to maneuver.

“And… Light!”

We were pushed into our seats as my copilot flipped the switch that activated the RATO boosters, the rockets sending us screaming down the tunnel. The rattling and bouncing increased, and I increased my grip on the control stick. It took all my strength to keep us straight.

And, suddenly, we were surrounded by stars.

The aircraft immediately began to fall, the water coming up to us. I pulled back as hard as I could on the stick, the engines straining to pull the weight of the aircraft. Never once had I operated off an aircraft carrier, but this is what I imagined it felt like to take off from one.

The rocket engines sputtered and died. A flip of another switch and the pods fell away, the gear folding and locking into the aircraft with a clunk. Slowly, the bomber rose over the Olenian fjords, moonlight glinting off the water.

I allowed myself to relax, if only slightly. We had made it past the first challenge.

“Status check everyone,” I said over the intercom.

“Check,” Tedrick reported, our radio and radar operator, sitting in a compartment behind the cockpit. “All systems nominal, getting radar online.”

“Check.” Our navigator, and, when the time came, bombarder Egon called in. He sat below the pilots, surrounded by glass, the most dangerous position to be in if they were taking fire.

“Check. Everything’s a go.” Ahren, the Changeling sitting next to me, tested his headset. I turned to him. During the takeoff, I had seen his face. He had been scared out of his mind, but now that had faded to an uncertain apprehension. Noticing me looking at him, he gave me a small nervous smile. I turned back to my instruments, and his smile faded.

“Did anyone see Silverplate Two and Three take off?” I asked, scanning the sky for the two other Me 264s that were part of our squadron. “Tedrick, check the radar.”

“I got Silverplate Two, they’re about a mile behind us, off our right wing.” He paused for a moment. “Silverplate Three just appeared. They’re only a little farther behind than Silverplate Two, and…” In the distance, a deep rumble of an explosion. The sky flashed momentarily. “...Silverplate Three just dropped off radar.”

I cursed under my breath. “Alright. We keep going. Can’t turn back anyway.” I began a slow bank left, lining up the full moon with a window panel.

Navigation would be done entirely by stars and instruments, Radio navigation would leave the chance that their signal could be intercepted.

Skirting the mountains and rivers, and staying close to the water, I piloted our way out to sea.

This was the most dangerous part of the mission. There were constant fighter patrols along the Olenian coast, usually lone radar-equipped Mosquito fighters. But the coast of the Deer homeland was long and winding, impossible to keep watch of, even for the powerful Equestrian Royal Air Force. At least, that was what we hoped.

Our two aircraft flew low over the water, only a few feet from the tops of the waves. The other 264 was somewhere behind and above us, ordered to keep as close as possible to our craft in order for us not to get separated. There was to be total radio silence between our two crafts, no communication before we had crossed the designated waypoint, in fear of the signal being picked up by the Equestrians, so it was key to keep close together.

“I got something.” Came a cry from Michel in the back. “Single aircraft, ten o'clock, higher altitude. It's moving right towards us.”

Everyone else held their breath. If they spotted us, there was nothing we could do, our defensive armaments had been stripped to lighten the load of the aircraft and allow for more fuel and longer range. Instead, we only had the radar set, which wouldn’t help if there were bullets being shot at us.

The next few moments were tense, the only sound the beeping of the radar and hum of the engines.

Finally; “He’s moving past. No course change.”

I dared to take a sigh of relief, most likely the same thing happening in our sister aircraft. Of course, there was no way to know if the aircraft had actually seen us or not, possibly radioing our position to the prowling packs of Spitfires. There was no way to be sure, so we silently celebrated.

And then we fell back into silent routine, the rumble and rattle of the aircraft our only company.


“Silverplate Two this is Silverplate One, please respond…”

A moment's pause.

“Roger that Silverplate One, we read you loud and clear. I assume we’re near the waypoint?”

“Affirmative. We’ll be beginning the turn momentarily…”

“Roger, we’ll follow you.”

I twisted the wheel to the left, the left wing dipping down towards the water, and pulled, the nose rising and ground falling away. I watched the altimeter needle slowly spin upwards, clicking and it went.

“I’m turning the controls over to you,” I said to Ahren, removing my hooves from the stick. “Keep it up at five degrees till we reach twenty thousand.”

I wobbled slightly on the uneven floor as I stepped away from my seat, before catching myself and slowly making my way to the door that led out of the cockpit. Down a few steps, and I was in the main passage that ran down the length of the aircraft. I turned and went towards the nose, soon finding myself surrounded by wires and windows.

Normally, the nose would be cluttered with equipment. Ammunition belts, fire extinguishers, parachutes, survival equipment, and the navigator's position. But now, all of that had been removed.

“Hey.”

Laying on the floor, using a packed parachute as a pillow, lay Egon, reading a book by the instrument lights. He looked up when I came in, putting down the book. “Hey.” He responded. “What’s happening?”

“We just started our climb. Other than that, nothing, just checking in.” I looked around the room. “How're things down here?”

“Boring, honestly. Although, I must say, it's nice to have some room for once.” He yawned.

I nodded, then noticed what he was reading. “Is that the latest issue of Signal?”

“It's from four months ago.” He held it up. Printed on the cover was a photograph of a proud looking officer, standing on the wing of a Bf 109 as three more fly in formation overhead. A clearly staged photo, one taken at the beginning of the war, judging by the E model of 109s they were using. “It's the most recent they’ve printed.”

I was honestly surprised that Signal had still been printed up to four months ago…

“Hey, Egon?” I was standing at the very front of the aircraft, looking out over the ocean below us. In the far distance, lights. “You remember that time over the Crystal Empire? With the 435th?”

He chuckled, knowing exactly what I was talking about. “Those fighter jocks were so confident in their victories that they couldn’t stand defeat! Remember that one guy who attempted to ram the palace because he was so desperate for a victory?”

We both shared a laugh at that. “What ever happened to him anyway?”

“Heard he was awarded the Iron Cross because he provided a distraction for everyone to escape. Posthumously of course.” Egon smiled.


I stared up at the metal ceiling inches from my head, listening to the engines. I could hear Tedrick talking on the radio in the next room, what he was saying incomprehensible.

I attempted to close my eyes for the third time, attempting to force my body to sleep. But it was no use. I groaned and open them, once again staring up at the metal above my head. How long had it been since I had slept? I didn’t know. In these final days of war, things were moving at such a fast pace, I couldn't keep track.

I gave up attempting to sleep. I was never able to sleep on any surface that wasn’t flat, level, and unmoving. In the military, that was a curse.

Yawning softly, I rolled myself out of the cot, my hooves hitting the cold metal floor serving to wake me up slightly. In total, there were three cots, stacked one on top of the other, just like they would have on warships. I shuddered thinking about it. I hated ships, crammed into tight metal spaces with no way to get out should your ship sink… At least in the air force, you had a chance of getting out.

I shuffled my way towards the cockpit, Ahren turning when I walked in. “Hey.”

I nodded. “Anything to report?” I asked, taking my seat. He shook his head, keeping his gaze forward. I looked out of the window. It was a clear night, one able to see for kilometers up at this altitude. In the far distance, flashes of light broke the darkness. Artillery, visible even from this distance.

Tracers lit up the sky below us, a convoy of ships coming under attack by unseen aircraft. One ship burst into flame, it's location now given away. Like moths to a light, the attackers were drawn to the damaged vessel. Two more explosions rocked the ship, and it began to founder, slowly listing. A dot shot through the flames and slammed into another ship, two ships now burning.

“Shame. Waste of a perfectly good plane, bomb, and pilot.”

I shrugged. “One plane, bomb, and pilot that just killed three thousand and sunk and expensive warship.”

Ahren shook his head in disgust. “It's not right.”

“It's more accurate and efficient than conventional bombing. A depressing tactic, but an effective one.”

“Hey guys?” Tendrick interrupted what Ahren was about to say. “You need to hear this.”

I froze for a split second. “What is it?” I asked, though I already knew what it was from the way he had said it.

There was a moment of silence on the line before and unknown voice filled the speakers.

“-essage from Hive High Command. All currently active Changeling forces are ordered to stand down and cease combat operations. All divisions are to turn themselves in at the nearest Equestrian checkpoint. Any who do not comply within the next 48 hours at to be labeled as traitors and will be executed. The war is over. This is a-”

Tendrick shut it off. We were all silent, processing this information.

“...What do we do now?” Egon asked. Everyone waited for my response.

“Is there any way to confirm is this message is legit?”

“It's being broadcast on all frequencies. Including those reserved for secure communications. Of course, those could have been compromised.” Tendrick answered.

“Contact Silverplate Two, ask them what they make of this.”

“Impossible, all communications are being jammed.”

I sighed. Looking out the window to where I knew our sister aircraft was, off our left wing. The bomber was only visible by the yellow flames shooting out of the exhaust and the occasional glint of moonlight of the metal surface.

“We continue with the mission. No point in turning back now, we’ve come too far to stop.”

We emerged from a cloud bank. In the distance and growing closer, lights. Not those of war, but of civilization. A city, hugging the coast. The city Los Pegasus, our target.

Silverplate Two had pulled out in front of us, and, as I watched, dipped its wings at first to the left, and then to the right, rocking the aircraft from side to side. I copied the maneuver, rocking from side to side.

A final salute to a squadronmate, one who we would most likely never see again.

The distance between our two bombers began to increase, before Silverplate Two began a small bank to the right. I watched them as they departed, until they were too small to be seen in the night. They were off to bomb Rockville, a city farther inland.

“Alright boys, we’re on our own. Bombardier, set us up for our bombing run.”

“Roger.”

The city filled the canopy now, the shapes of skyscrapers clearly visible. On the horizon, the smallest sliver of orange sunrise peaked.

“Egon, I’m handing over controls to you.” I removed my hooves from the stick, Ahren doing the same.

“Affirmative. Here we go…”

We were over the city now. I could look down and see cars moving in the streets, and the flack guns situated atop the buildings. A burst of anti-aircraft fire rattled the plane.

“We’ve got a squadron of fighters inbound!” Tedrick frantically shouted from the radio room. “If you going to drop the bomb, do it now!”

I felt the bomb bay doors open.

“Bombs away.”

The aircraft leapt higher into the air now several thousand pounds lighter. I slammed the throttle up as far as it would go, activating emergency power, the engines groaning and straining.

I heard Egon give a sigh of relief. “‘Lings, I just want to say, it's been an honor and a blast flying with you.”

Bullets ripped through the fuselage, sending shrapnel and glass shards flying through the cabin. The aircraft lurched as an engine caught fire, ripping more holes into the wings. I managed to catch a glimpse of the sun-moon emblem of the Equestrian Air Force roundel as a Spitfire shot past the cockpit.

“Godspeed, my comrades, and may we all meet in Tartarus!”

I never knew if anyone heard me, because the bomb detonated moments later.


“Luna. Report.” Princess Celestia yawned. It was very early in the morning, and she had just been woken up by a Guard informing her that there was an urgent message. “What's going on out there?”

“About two hours ago a message began broadcasting on all Changeling communication airwaves calling for the surrender of all active forces and for them to report to the nearest Equestrian checkpoint. It's not coded, and all the broadcasters so far have been speaking in perfect Changeling. It's been on repeat since, except for a few times where the person broadcasting was replaced, but the message has always been the same.” The slightly muffled voice said over the phone. There was some ineligible talking in the background, before Luna returned to the phone. “I’ve ordered all divisions to stop advancing and for artillery bombardments to stop as of now.”

Celestia was silent for a moment, processing this information. “...So Operation Crossover was a success then?”

“Uncertain. There have been no communications on the assigned frequency or on the spy networks. We’ll keep watch though.”

Celestia sighed. “Keep the soldiers on high alert. Faust knows the SS won’t surrender unless you make them.”

“...Alright. I’ll infor-”

And the line went dead.

Blinking in surprise at the sudden cutoff, the Princess stood there a moment, listing to the dead line.

“...Luna? Hello?”

There was a soft glow on the horizon. Celestia yawned. Her horn sparked to life, slowly feeling her Ethereal magic lift the sun.

She paused.

Sunrise from the west?

She dashed out the door, emerging into the castle gardens, maids and staffers scattering as she ran past, looking at her with a confused expression. At the edge of the balcony, all of Equestria spread out before her.

And in the distance, a glowing, fire red mushroom cloud rose silently into the sky.

Author's Note:
Comments ( 39 )

The operations seem to have a few problems.

Memphis Belle

So, they received the order to surrender, yet they continued the mission without asking confirmation?

And what was the point of nuking an enemy city, with the war clearly lost?

Great job!!!

8869344
It's possible that they were given orders beforehand to disregard all other orders the instant they launched.

Or it could be more simple. Spite.

8869344

They might have been embittered toward Equestria. Maybe, as Emil said, it was spite. Or they were given orders from the higher ups in secret.

Without any evidence, though, I'd say this was a last strike by soldiers who found it difficult to care about the future consequences (such as how Equestria would retaliate). Given the description of the story - "The Changelings have lost. Their cities destroyed, their Queen dead" - that's what it seems to me. It was the wrong choice, given that they technically struck after their leaders had given up (and Equestria won't take this at all lying down - certainly not Celestia, who has lost her sister permanently).

There was no logic in the action.

"Surrender your war or perish in flames"

Sabaton-Nuclear Attack (Attero Dominatus)


Good story if i may say so

I really like the concept, but it needs more room to breathe. A second chapter detailing the fallout (both literal and figurative) from this would be just about perfect.

A child's view of war with a lot of meaningless fluff.

8869805
I actually was planning another shorter chapter, but ran out of time due to the contest. Maybe I'll put it up later.

8869435
Look Up 'Fail Safe' (1964).

8869344
Well in some cases of war when soldiers were told to surrender they wouldn't and they continued fighting

Holy Shi'ite, this was good. Have my god-damned like. Hope we get a second chapter.

*See's sabaton video*
Ah you're a man of culture as well I see

Great story, would like to see a chapter talking about the aftermath.

Good bittersweet story. Sad, but true, soldiers with orders don't usually respond to countermanding cease and desist orders without proper confirmation.

Oh look, a plane.

Twilight, horn laser, please.

*ZAP!!*

And that takes care of that.

Magic, it's a bitch in warfare. :trollestia:

Questions... so many...

1. Why are the changelings flying bombers?
2. When did Equestria invent planes?
3. When did anyone there invent nukes?
4. Why are changelings fighting to kill their primary food source?
5. Why aren't the ponies using magical defenses?

This feels like some WWII and some Pony were simply mashed together without thinking how any of it would work outside of 'grimdark sadfic'.

See, we have zero background for this 'story', and what we do know about Equestria conflicts with every last aspect of it. Therefore, it doesn't work.

9304943
I guess you didn't see

Written for the Equestria at War writing contest.

https://www.fimfiction.net/group/212917/equestria-at-war

9304970 Oh, this makes it basically a cross-over. With something I know absolutely nothing about.

The point still stands that it's a woefully incomplete story. Unless the reader is completely familiar with this other material, they're left scratching their heads.

9304997

Unless the reader is completely familiar with this other material, they're left scratching their heads.

Well... that's kinda the point. :twilightsheepish:

9304997


See below.


9305028


Agreed. It's like a side story for readers of another much bigger story.

9521030 Still doesn't change the issues. A single bomber getting that far into country that is actually the one winning the war unopposed would never have happened even in WWII.

If they already have radar-equipped fighters, they'd certainly have ground radar units around every major city with flight crews on standby. I simply don't see this happening. There are too many holes in what I know SHOULD be taking place simply to permit blowing up Luna... which is one thing I support as it has no doubt angered Lunatics. :trollestia:

I ended up studying warfare tactics and watching hundreds of documentaries quite thoroughly thanks to my brother's long interest in WWII and aim towards his degree in history.

9521286

That wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about this:


"The point still stands that it's a woefully incomplete story. Unless the reader is completely familiar with this other material, they're left scratching their heads."


My point is that it was a side story, meant to be read by fans of the main story, so it doesn't need to be complete. I didn't say anything about plausibility at all.

This has been posted last year, but...

Will there be a sequel to this story, the Equestrian now reminded that the war is far from over, now the Equestrian responding in kind & start dropping nukes over changeling territory. Just after those Changeling bombardier crew convinced the Equestrian in the most horrific manner, the war is far from over. It's just natural...

9016814
This is old but the aftermath is easy to guess.

The ponies driven mad with anger start committing whole sale atrocities against the Changeling population. They start massacring Changeling soldiers attempting to surrender to the advancing Equestrian army. A nuke or two dropped in retaliation against any remaining Changeling cities or manufacturing infrastructure that has remained reasonably intact from the bombing of Equestrian bombers.

The last thing I ever expected on this site was a Sabaton reference

10175169
There's quite a few actually

This is almost perfect, and I'd like to help push it over the 99% mark.

“Check.” Our navigator, and, when the time came, bombarder Egon called in. He sat below the pilots, surrounded by glass, the most dangerous position to be in if they were taking fire.

bombardier

I twisted the wheel to the left, the left wing dipping down towards the water, and pulled, the nose rising and ground falling away. I watched the altimeter needle slowly spin upwards, clicking and it went.

as

I shrugged. “One plane, bomb, and pilot that just killed three thousand and sunk and expensive warship.”

an

There was a moment of silence on the line before and unknown voice filled the speakers.

an

“-essage from Hive High Command. All currently active Changeling forces are ordered to stand down and cease combat operations. All divisions are to turn themselves in at the nearest Equestrian checkpoint. Any who do not comply within the next 48 hours at to be labeled as traitors and will be executed. The war is over. This is a-”

are

“Is there any way to confirm is this message is legit?”

if

I sighed. Looking out the window to where I knew our sister aircraft was, off our left wing. The bomber was only visible by the yellow flames shooting out of the exhaust and the occasional glint of moonlight of the metal surface.

off

“We’ve got a squadron of fighters inbound!” Tedrick frantically shouted from the radio room. “If you going to drop the bomb, do it now!”

you're

“About two hours ago a message began broadcasting on all Changeling communication airwaves calling for the surrender of all active forces and for them to report to the nearest Equestrian checkpoint. It's not coded, and all the broadcasters so far have been speaking in perfect Changeling. It's been on repeat since, except for a few times where the person broadcasting was replaced, but the message has always been the same.” The slightly muffled voice said over the phone. There was some ineligible talking in the background, before Luna returned to the phone. “I’ve ordered all divisions to stop advancing and for artillery bombardments to stop as of now.”

unintelligible

Blinking in surprise at the sudden cutoff, the Princess stood there a moment, listing to the dead line.

listening

TC proofreading service

10355497
You're two years late, but thanks anyway XD

10356049
Two years ago I was still reading the first story I'd ever read on this site, Austraeoh. It still amazes me how much quality it retains without a single editor.

Thanks for thanking me anyways, I don't always get appreciated for this job.

9304997
Wow, its almost like...a story written for a established continuity....requires reading the continuity to know context!

10640354 But if you're going to write for a continuity completely severed from the second fandom you're writing into, then you need some contextual material.

It's like writing LoTR lore into a Care Bears fanfic site... and explaining where NONE of it comes from or how it works.

First EAW story I read on here and glad it is. Love the mod and I loved this.

10644499

it is written as part of a contest. The contest's subject is a preestablished series. It is implied you need to read the series first. Do you need your hands held?

Even if this was the baseline crossover...crossovers.....

Expect you know the material! Wow!

If you read a LoTR- carebears crossover, then you probably either need to know both unless stated otherwise, unless you don't mind lacking context!

8869344

o, they received the order to surrender, yet they continued the mission without asking confirmation?

This

“Impossible, all communications are being jammed.”

They couldn't, and went along, maybe thinking it was false or otherwise.
But they couldn't call for confirmation, if they can't speak.

i soon as i saw the title and the name of the chapter my mind went to sabaton nuclear attack lol i knew it

And worst part is, theres still another one heading to Rockville.

Login or register to comment