• Published 22nd May 2018
  • 1,289 Views, 35 Comments

In the Hands of a Hidden Caretaker - Skipjumper



A young man gets sent to a younger Equestria, and is tasked with raising six familiar faces.

  • ...
2
 35
 1,289

A New Start

It was a cold, day in the town of Manhattan. A somewhat normal occurrence, considering the time of year. And while for some, the holidays were holly and jolly, for Duke Winters, it was less the enjoyable. He sat on his bed looking around his apartment. “Five years.” He thought, “Five, Flipping, Years,”

RRRRRIIINNG

‘Ugh, who could that be?’ Duke thought as he answered his phone. “hello?”

“Hey, man, was’up?” greeted a cheery voice from the other end.

“Hi Tido, what do you need?” asked Duke.

“What do I need? Oho, my friend, it is not what I need, but what You need, man.”

“Dude, you may be my best friend since high-school, but this is overstepping the line.”

“Look, man, I know you need your alone time this time of year, but Mel’s getting a bit over worried down here, and well….”

Duke sighed, “Say no more, you and I both know I can’t argue with your sister. I know she means well. I’ll be down in 15, alright?”

“Aye! Aye! Captain. Don’t worry about what you're getting into, it’ll just be me, you, Mel, Popcorn, and some Good old Christmas movies!”


The Next Morning


Duke walked down the snow-covered streets. As the frozen wind blew in his face, his mind began to think about his job.

“Okay, I’m late. I’m late and Mr. Z is gonna put me on a double Load if I don’t get there quick. Just have to catch the bus…”

Duke’s muttering drifted away on cold winds as he watched the bus leave the bus stop.

“Oh, Come ON!” He screamed at the departing bus.

As Duke trudged to his destination the snow, he started to sink in it.

Duke didn’t register the change until it got to his knees. And when that happened, the snow piled up faster.

As he the snow reached his waist he called out for help but to no avail. The world was frozen. Caught between one second, and the next.

As the snow finally reached over Duke’s head, something strange occurred. The snow began to crack as if it were ice. As Duke struggled to escape his prison, the cracks quickly grew larger.

When the snow shattered, for a split-second Duke thought he was free!

That feeling did not last long. For he was falling. Falling through an infinite space of color that would put the Bifrost to shame.

For what felt like eons he fell through this space, alone, scared, and afraid.

Though these feelings did end.

Because he fell unconscious.

Duke did not know how long he was out. But he saw he was in a courtyard. Surrounded by a dark, cloudy void.

Surrounding him were several gateways, each impossibly leading to a different location.

"Ok, don’t panic.” Duke tried to calm himself. “Your dreaming. Just pinch yourself and this will all be over.”

Duke pinched his arm and realized he wasn’t waking up.

Duke started to worry. “Ok, maybe I’m in a coma?”

“I can assure you, you are not mentally or physically damaged.” Said an ethereal voice from one of the doors.

As Duke looked at the newcomer, he couldn’t help but be a little surprised. Standing in the doorway was a blue, unicorn?

The Unicorn gave Duke a small smile as she continued speaking. “As much as I would like to say hello, I suggest that you come on through before someone else notices your over there.”

Duke gave a small huff, “And why should I trust you?”

A roar resounded from a different gateway as a large eye silently watched from another.

“You can’t.”

“OK, ok! fine.”

Duke briskly walked over to the gateway of possible safety.

“Okay, now that I’m in here, who are You?” Asked Duke.

The Unicorn gave a small chuckle. “My name is Tempora, but when I still breathed most of my friends called me Tempy.”

“Alright, Tempora, I’m Duke and, wait a second. You said still breathing, does that mean your...”

“Hello!”

“Huh? What was that for?”

“Well, I did say that I wanted to say hello!”

“Uhg, whatever, like I was asking, are you…”

“Whaaa!!”

“Oh, dear. Looks like the foals are awake. Want to meet them?”

“Will you let me finish my question if I do?”

“Sure! Come on!”

Tempora started trotting down the hallway.

“Talking Unicorns and babies… what have I gotten myself into?” Duke thought to himself as he followed Tempora.

“So? What’s your question?"

“You said that your friends called you Tempy when you were still breathing, right?”

“Yeah? Its fine if you want to call me that!”

“Fine, but what I wanted to ask was, are you dead?”

“Oh. That’s a tough one.”

“What so tough about it? You're either alive or dead. Simple as that.”

“No, you misunderstand. When I said still breathing, I meant still breathing fresh air. As for the alive or dead question, I’m on a time limit. I going to die at noon two months from now. That’s the tough part.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. That was a dumb question to ask.”

“Don’t be. Death by castle debris isn’t the worst way to go.”

“Wait, what?”

“The local higher-ups have decided to tear down this castle in, well, two months.”

“If that’s the problem, then why don’t you just leave the castle.”

“To put it simply, I’m cursed. I can’t leave this place lest I die.”

“Oh. That would make that harder to leave. So how long have you been here?”

“Twenty years.”

“Do you have food?”

“Yes.”

“what kind?”

“Sparing some details, this castle has a garden.”

“Oh-Kay. And how did you get kids if you stuck in here?”

“The foals came around recently.”

“How does that work?”

“Well, the foals are… very special.”

“Wow!” Duke says with sarcasm. “But that still doesn’t explain why they’re in here.”

“Beats me. My best guess is that their parents didn’t want them and brought them here, hoping that they would be rid of them when the castle comes crashing down.”

“Geez.”

“Yeah, I know. I’ve been taking care of them the best I can…”

The two quietly walk down the hallway until they came to a door.

Tempora spoke up. “Like I said before, they’re a little bit different than most foals, so prepare yourself for a shock.”

“I don't know what is normal around here, remember?”

“Oh, right. Wait, hang on a minute.”

Tempora’s horn started to glow white, and after a few seconds, a purple scarf popped out of thin air.

Duke’s jaw hung low. “How did you do that?”

“Teleportation. Now put this on.”

“Why?”

“You’ll see.”

As Duke put the Scarf on his body began to glow a light sky-blue color, surrounding his whole body like, well, light. Rhe glowing stopped, and what had stood in his place before, was now a light grey Unicorn with wings, sporting the scarf, and an ice colored mane and tail.

“what. The. HECK??!?!?!?” Duke Screamed.

“Duke, Calm Down! This is completely normal, aside from you having both wings and a horn…”

“What Are You Talking About?”

“Just calm down, and I’ll explain. The scarf is a disguise, more or less. Basically, it puts you into the most fitting of the three pony races.”

“And those are?” Duke asked, a bit calmer now that he was before.

“Normally It gives either, a Unicorn’s body, like myself who can do magic feats like the teleportation that you saw. A Pegasus’ body, who can fly. Or an Earth pony’s body, who while don’t have wings or a horn, they’re the strongest when it comes to pure muscle. But…”

“But?”

Tempora looked down at the floor. “You got an Alicorn, a fusion of all the other three. It’s never done that before.”

“Why?”

Tempora looked up at Duke. “Alicorns are the rarest of all the pony kinds. The only ones that I knew of before I got trapped in here are royalty…….” Tempora drifted off into thought.

“Maybe it’s because I’m not from here?” asked Duke trying to get the unicorn out of cloud nine.

“Yeah, maybe…”

“well, that didn’t work.” Duke thought. “So why did you give me the scarf?” he asked aloud.

“Hm? Oh, I just didn’t want you to scare the foals.”

“Wow, thanks… is it reversible?”

“I believe so. shall we?” Tempora says motioning to the door.

“Ok…”

As the door open on its own, Duke yelped in surprise.

“How did you...?”

“Magic.”

Duke rubbed the back of his neck. “Oh, right.”

As Duke walked into the room, his jaw hit the ground in awe. The walls looked to be made of trees, grown straight from the ground. Golden sunlight passed through their branches and danced across the grass-like floor. But the centerpiece of the room was six medium cribs.

“Did you make all of this?” Duke asked.

“Oh, goodness no. This whole castle has been here for as long as I can remember. Maybe that’s part of the reason why they want to tear it down.”

Duke walked over to one of the cribs, only to find something a bit shocking. In the crib staring back up at him, was a small, Bright blue eyed, pink pony foal……

“It’s like me…” Duke says.

She’s like you, and they’re all Alicorns,” Tempora replies as she cradles a yellow foal in her telekinetic grasp.

“But I thought you said Alicorns are rare. How can six be born at the same time?”

“I don’t know, but maybe their parents got scared by them…”

“Scared by Babies?” Duke’s voice dripped with sarcasm.

“Most ponies’ are scared by things that are different. Alicorns are the most powerful when it comes to magic, and they’re some of the fastest flyers if legends are to be believed. Not to mention that fact they can easily beat a minotaur when it comes to raw strength. Maybe their parents got scared of them because they can be so powerful.”

Minotaurs exist here?” Duke thought to himself. “Putting aside whatever happened with their parents, what are we going to do with them? They deserve to live just as much as anyone else does!”

“I have an idea.”

“What is it?”

“You don’t have the curse the binds me here, and neither do they. You could leave with them and raise them.”

“What.”

“I know, I know, it’s a big ask. But I can’t think of anything else at the moment.”

“Ok. Two things. One, I don’t know how to care for kids. Two, I don’t know how to use this new body. Three, I don’t know anything about this world.”

“That’s three things…”

“Yeah so?”

Tempora facepalms, or face hooves I guess.

“Look, I can teach you about Equis, I can teach you how to use magic, and I can try to teach you to fly. I just want these foals to be away from the castle when It comes crashing down. Your best chance to get out of here alive.” Tempora says, raising her voice a little.

“And you’re just trusting a complete stranger with what’s basically your own children?!” Duke retorted.

“Ok, so I’m taking a gamble! Is that so bad?”

“It’s irresponsible, that’s what it is!” Argued Duke.

“OH! So, your expert on raising children, Are you?” Tempora snapped back at Duke.

“I know enough to know not to trust complete strangers with your children!”

“Oh, I pity the hag who had to raise YOU!” Tempora Said angerly before covering her mouth with one hoof.

Silence filled the air like cold rainwater in a pond.

“Ok. You can insult me all you want. But no one Insults my Parents. Got it?” said Duke.

Duke then turned and stormed out the doorway.

“Duke come back! I got carried away I didn’t…”

“CAN IT!” came an angry reply.

Tempora watched Duke’s silhouette disappear down the hallway. Then collapsed, crying the more tears then she ever had before.

Unbeknownst to both of the adults, the small pink foal was following Duke, with a look of determination in her blue eyes.

Author's Note:

another new story.
and I do have an idea of where I want this to go.



comments, questions, and consrtuctive criticism are welcome.

Edits made on 7/6/18