• Published 25th Jul 2012
  • 9,863 Views, 198 Comments

Guardians of the Elements of Harmony - mcb893



When a United States Army Ranger arrives in Equestria, the land is plauged by chaos...

  • ...
29
 198
 9,863

19. Horrors of War

3 Days Later...

Moore checked his ammo again, still just 12 mags. He was starting to run low. Only time would tell how long it would last. "What's our ETA?" He asked as he slid a clip into the rifle. To his right, Twilight looked at Fluttershy, who just gave a smile, although she was obviously in pain. "Can't be sure. I'd say 10, maybe 20 more minutes." Twilight said. Moore nodded and looked out his own window. The plains of the desert rolled by, with very few ponds or signs of vegetation. He looked over to Rainbow Dash, who was still asleep. "Why are we going to Appleloosa again? I thought it was quarantined after the first attacks." Rarity asked as she flipped a page of her magazine. "Princess sent a order. Said I needed to get there ASAP. Thought you guys would be useful since you knew the terrain." Moore said as dismantled his pistol, and putting it back together. Applejack placed her head on her hooves and sighed. "Ah just hope Braeburn's alright." She said gloomily. "Who?" Moore asked as he finished reassembling his gun.

"Applejack's cousin. He kept in touch for about a week after the attacks began, but we haven't heard from him since last Tuesday." Pinkie explained. Moore sighed, even SHE was in a down mood. "How many guards they got there?" He asked checking the window again, seeing a mass group of buffalo. "None, the buffalo and local law enforcement have been holdin' their own. Wanted more of the guards towns that needed 'em." Applejack said, still in a depressed mood. "How bad is it?" Moore asked as he checked his claymore. He had kind of forgotten about the thing, and wasn't exactly sure when he would use it. Fluttershy's ears dipped behind her head and she stuck her head into a pillow. "I see..." Moore said as he looked back down, counting the bullets in a magazine. "21...22...23..."

The train came to a stop, causing Moore and the mares to lift their heads. "Somethin' up?" AJ asked. Moore stood as the lights in the train went up. "Not sure... wait here." taking his rifle, he walked thought the corridors and cars of the train up to the operating area. "Hey what's going on?" He asked the driver. The stallion rubbed the back of his head. "Darn thing's broken down, could take a couple of hours to repair, and even longer to get it moving again." He said as he inspected the controls. "That's fine, we'll just hitchhike from here." Moore said as he walked out of the car. "You sure you wanna do that sonny? It could be a dangerous hike." Moore stopped in the doorway, and turned to the operator. "I've been on worse." He said. Getting back to the mares, he explained the situation and gently shook Rainbow. "Mmmm it's too early... let me sleep." She said as she turned over. Moore frowned and ripped the mattress from under her, causing her to collapse onto the wooden support. She gave a quick shout of pain as she stood and cracked her back. "Alright fine I'll get up... sheesh..." She said with an aggravated tone. Fluttershy giggled.

Moore opened the hatch leading outside of the train, greeted instantly by hot, dry winds. He crouched and hopped out, motioning for the others to follow. "But it's so... dusty..." Rarity said as she rose a hoof. Moore mumbled to himself and grabbed her hoof. "Just do it you cry baby." Rainbow chuckled at this. Rarity groaned and stepped onto the sandy surface. "Come on." He said as he gently picked up Fluttershy, and placed her on the ground. She wobbled a little, do to her injuries to her flanks, but managed to stay up. The other mares took their turns at hopping of the train, with Rainbow almost falling due to still being half-asleep. "So, which direction?" Moore asked as shut the hatch. The metal grinded against itself and gave a loud bang as it collided with the other end. "Just follow the tracks. We'll know it when we see it." Twilight said.

30 Minutes Later (give or take a few seconds)...

Moore walked through desert, the hot sun beating down on his back. Rarity groaned and asked how much longer it would take. "Wait a minute, can't you just teleport us there Twilight?" Moore asked. The other mares turned their attention to her, but she shook her head. "I have to been to an area several times to be able to teleport there. I've only been to Appleoosa once." She explained. Rarity groaned. Moore sighed and rolled his eyes. "There it is y'all!" Applejack shouted as she pointed. Looking up, Moore saw a small settlement, dusty, mostly wooden, and quiet. He felt like he was in a western. Applejack quickly raced ahead, panting due to the intense heat and distance of their walk. "AJ wait!" Twilight called as she ran after her. Rainbow turned to Moore and shrugged, dashing off to catch up to her friends. Moore sighed and began running. He had no idea what he was in for.

"Massacre." That was the only word that came to mind. Ponies lay littered on the ground, dead, blood pouring from the various wounds across their bodies. Moore noticed his hand shake, this was just like the village attack. He heard a sob, turning to Applejack, he saw her bring a hoof to her mouth. She closed her eyes and began to cry. Twilight went to her and comforted her. "Braeburn?" She called. No answer. Instead was just the silence of blowing wind. "Ghost town..." Moore thought. As he looked around, his mind faded white. Back to that day, he groaned and held his head. The bodies... the gore... all returned. The mares continued to walk through town, with AJ and Moore only getting worse. The Earth Pony cried out for her cousin, but there was no answer. Moore looked to his right, more slaughtered bodies.

His vision faded white, and he saw the family getting gunned down. Stumbling, he placed his hand against a pole for balance, moaning in sickness. "John?" Twilight asked. Moore turned, seeing her concerned look. "Uh'm fine..." He mumbled. Once again his mind flashed, and he saw his partner, Cpl. Johnson, get shot. He groaned in pain, falling as he covered his gut. Moore gave a quick shout, and collapsed to his knees. "John?" Twilight asked, frantic and panicked. Moore watched as the ground swirled, looking at his hands, he saw them tremble. No matter what he did, he could not stop them.

"John! Speak to me!" Twilight shouted, clearly distressed. Moore began to breathe heavily as sweat poured from his glands, seeing more and more dead bodies. "The... the..." He tried to say, but he couldn't speak. He collapsed, completely, and fully, shaking. "JOHN!" Moore heard, though it faded. His vision blurred as he watched Taliban soldiers gun down the innocent children and women. His body shook violently, and his breathing doubled. "The PTSD! It's the village! It's like the one that caused it!" Someone shouted, but Moore was too busy suffering to notice. He moaned, and started saying unintelligible things, mumbling on and on about something. "Oh dear, this is not good!" Someone shouted. Moore continued to shake as he faded from conciousness...