• Published 5th Apr 2018
  • 17,576 Views, 709 Comments

Wolves of Night and Blade: Book I - One of Nine



Once, I was your ever-day twenty-year old nerd. Now though, I fight demons and monsters in the land of Equestria. And on top that all of, I think Princess Luna has been ogling me.

  • ...
90
 709
 17,576

PreviousChapters Next
3. A Friend and a Hunt

As the day progressed, I watched the Princesses with every spare second I had. Every moment, I watched to see if they’d slip. I did catch one or two flashes of green energy spark over ‘Celestia’ when she turned a corner, earning a quick ark of my eyebrow. But I calmed after a moment, not letting her see my worry.

Finally, I had gathered what was needed, enough to prove that the princesses were imposters. I decided to head to the Royal Armory in hopes of claiming a weapon before my attack on the Hive. I stepped over to one of the nearby guards as he gave me a questioning look. With his face still skeptical, he asked, “Can I help you?”

“Yes. I need help getting to the armory, can you please show me?”

The guard pony’s eyes narrowed as he slowly went for his sword. “Why? You plan to attack the Princesses?!”

“Easy, no. I’m not after your Princess. I was hoping to grab a knife for a hunting trip.” I then pealed back my lips, revealing my razor white fangs. “Carnivore and all.”

“I-I see.” The guard sheathed his sword, gulping as a bead of sweat slid down his forehead. But he soon straightened and composed himself before saying, “Sure, go ahead.”

I guessed that because I showed my teeth, he had acted on a deep instinct; to never mess with a predator, always fear them. After thanking him and receiving directions, I made my way down the halls and into the armory. The alabaster halls gave way to cold grey stone, rows upon rows of weapons lining the walls. From all manner of swords to pikes, axes, shields, maces, and other medieval weapons, I searched and found two great swords that fit my towering body very well. Now that I thought about it, I stood at Celestia’s height, looming over all normally tall ponies.

As I strapped the sheathed swords to my sides, struggling with the buckle, a shadow cut through the torchlight. I quickly turned to find a white stallion dressed in a fine blue suite, leaning against the door frame. His golden locks tied back into a pony tail (no pun intended), an expensive watch strapped to his wrist, and a silver chain with a golden sun hung from his neck. His sky-blue eyes studied me, until he broke the silence with a question.

“Going to rescue Auntie Tia and Luna, huh?” His question hung in the air before my brain could process it completely. “I want in.”

“Uh… what?” I asked in utter disbelief. Wasn’t Blueblood supposed to be a villain?

“I said, ‘I want in’.” He repeated, this time, the words sinking in.

“Why?” I asked, trying to see what he was up to. Knowing Blueblood from the numerous fanfictions I’d read, he was usually a small villain. But, every so often I’d find a story where he was one that I even came to respect. “Are you not royalty? You should remain here while I deal with the Changeling Hive.”

Blueblood sighed, “You seriously think I’m going to stand idly by while my aunts, cousin, brother-in-law, and niece are held captive by those beasts? I think not!” He crossed his arms, pushing off the door to stand on firm legs. He wasn’t budging.

“Besides, you think you can take on an ENTIRE hive by yourself? I think not.” He scoffed before walking over to a corner and gathering a set of gold and blue armor, a compass painted on the breast plate. He began removing his suite for a set of torn muddy shirt and pants.

“You’re coming?”

“Well, yes. Unless you want me to simply drag your body back here in a heaping mess.” He chuckled slightly as he fastened the straps on his chainmail. “I’ll gather my personal guard while you grab a map in the next room. I’ll meet you outside my chambers, room 318.”

After straightening my sheath straps, I nodded, seeing that he wasn’t taking no for an answer. I stepped up to the door before turning to him, “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it… by the way, my name’s Blueblood, Prince of Canterlot. You?”

“Obsidian Fang. Nice to meet you, your majesty.” I nodded, not feeling it right to fully bow.

“Bah, no ‘your majesty’ please. Save it for the nobles and their ‘I’m better than you’ speeches.” He said with a cocky grin. I laughed at that. And I had to admit, I was starting to like him.

“Alright Blueblood, see you in a few.” I said before heading down the hall and into another room filled with charts, maps, and navigation equipment. I went over and searched several maps before finding one with the Badlands on it, a towering black spire depicted in the dusty lands.

After gathering the map and a compass, I searched the halls for Blueblood’s room, avoiding the fake Royal Sisters if possible. Finally, after nearly six hundred doors later, I came to room 318. Quietly opening the door, I edged my way in and closed the door behind me. The room was lavishly furbished, pillows, silk sheets, and comforters dotted the room. And standing in said room was the prince along with eight guards in silver armor, blue sashes thrown over their shoulders.

I nodded to the guards, hoping that they knew who I was. Seeing as they didn’t charge me, the prince had told them. “Blueblood, I have the map. Are you ready?”

The prince turned, fitted with his armor, sword, and shield. With his helmet in hand, he nodded and proceeded to place it over his head. “I am. We’ll head out the back, through the gardens, and to the Badlands. Understood?”

I nodded and handed him the map, watching him pass as his guards followed behind, and I after them. We quickly made our ay through the empty gardens, silent as a grave, keeping an eye out for wandering Royal Guards. Thankfully, we encountered none, and escaped through a hidden path that Blueblood revealed. When I asked him about it, he simply told me he’d used it since foalhood to escape any pressures of royalty.

Over the next two days, the ten of us grew as friends. The eight I’d mentioned before were ones Blueblood had handpicked to be his superior warriors. Not peacekeepers, warriors. Blueblood had learned from a former general how to fight and defend. But he didn’t want to just fight, he wanted to learn to kill if it meant keeping his family safe. And so, throughout the years that followed, Blueblood had learned to fight. By the time he’d finished his training, the general had gifted him with a sword that had been in his family since Equestria’s founding. A double-edged sword with a golden cross-guard, double handled, and a crimson gem in the hilt. Since the general had no children of his own, he passed the right onto one he considered a son, bestowing upon the prince a rare sword with incredible power. And after the general had passed, Blueblood had kept it on his person, concealed by an enchantment. And all of this was done under Celestia nose. I smiled at the story, and after hearing it, held Blueblood in high regard. Indeed, he was a stallion of great honor.

Going back to the eight guards, Blueblood had chosen and trained them in the same manner that his teacher had done. Two years passed until they were ready for their knighthood, each being given a curved sword that resembled a Katana, but with a longer hilt.

As we journeyed on, I had learned to hunt and kill. Though, I hesitated at first, this being my first time to really kill something. But if I didn't, I would starve myself. Back home, I’d never been hunting, always living near the city, hardly ever going out far into the wilds. However, I soon pushed my misgivings down and raced ahead, lips pulled back and claws drawn. I’d recently found that I could extend my claws to the point of them reaching four inches in length, handy when hunting, might I add.

Seeing as I barely knew how to hunt, Blueblood guessed I’d never been in a fight. While that was technically true, I’d had many swordfights with friends and was bullied in the first and second grade. So, through those few days, the prince vowed to train me for the fight ahead. It was as we were practicing that my body let me know it needed fuel. A low grumble came from my stomach after blocking another strike from the prince.

We stopped fighting as the prince smiled, “Seems we are in need of a short break.” He huffed. “Smell anything good?”

I raised my nose to the air and sniffed, my keen-sense of smell kicking in. “Nothing… Wait…” I sniffed again, picking up a scent. One of poison and blood. “Manticore.”

The guards gulped, not being stupid enough to attack one of those monstrous beasts. Blueblood stepped close to me, asking, “Can you wait?”

I looked down at my shaking hands, no, I couldn’t. This is something you need to know about me; that when ever my hands start to shake, I need to eat. I balled my fists, taking a breath and removing my shirt, as I didn’t want to get bloody. “No.”

The prince nodded with a gulp, “Alright, we’ll be right here if you need us.”

I nodded back and started off, smelling the air as I went, getting closer. With each step, the pit in my gut drove me on, a new adrenalin arose in me. A hunger driven energy, one that fueled my tired muscles as I trekked on. I was getting closer…

I then came to a clearing with my quarry tearing through an unlucky elk, gorging itself on its prey. The Manticore was alone, most likely shunned by its kin, as it was not in a pack. The moment I stepped out though, it turned on me, baring its small fangs and claws. It roared in rage that I’d interrupted its meal. Taking on a small smile, I took a stance and snarled at my prey, pealing my lips back and extending my claws. Then, taking an inhale, I let loose a thunderous war cry. The sound was that of a hungry beast who’d found its foolish prey, ready for the fight, however brief.

The Manticore seemed frightened at first, but soon overcame it fear and charged me. Just as the beast could have bitten me, I side-stepped and dug my claws into it back, just below the wings. The Manticore screeched in pain and flapped its wings, trying and failing to flee. I then gripped its underbelly and hoisted it up and over my shoulder, its limbs flailing about. Taking a stride over to a nearby boulder, I flung myself back and smashed its head against the rock, hearing a snap.

However, the beast wasn’t done. The Manticore scrambled back onto it legs as I faced it again, its lower jaw broken and bleeding. After a second of breathing, we charged each other, claws and teeth bared. Both beasts clashed as my claws gripped its mane and left wing, I then tore off the wing and swung the creature to the side. The beast landed at the boulder’s feet, bleeding and whimpering, its spine shattered, giving me a gurgling snarl. I snarled back before breaking the wing in two and using its one claw to stab the beast’s paw. As it whimpered again, I felt that it wasn’t going to fight anymore, as it was giving me an almost pleading stare. Figuring it was time to end its pain, I rushed forward and tore into its chest, ripping its heart out. I stayed there as the life left the Manticore’s eyes, it let out a final breath as I rested its head in the green grass, now stained red. I draped my hand over its eyes, closing them for the last time.

“You fought well, now sleep. Lord, please grant him peace and me a good meal.” I breathed out and prayed, feeling he’d fought a good fight. I then looked at the warm heart in my hand, lifted it to my lips, and bit into it. Its toughness and warmth filled my taste buds, blood dripped from my lips as I chewed. After finishing the heart, I dug for the liver, and consumed that too. Once that was done, I continued with the rest of my meal.

-= Later =-

We’d just come to the edge of the Badlands, but before we could continue, a massive air ship came roaring above the tree line. At least two football fields long, half as wide. Painted black and crimson red, two sets of whale-like fins set on the ship’s belly, three massive engines on the ship’s rear. And from what I could see, numerous changelings buzzed around the behemoth of a ship. But these were not Chrysalis’ changelings, these had crimson shells, orange eyes, and a ring of fur around the shoulders and neck.

I then noticed that one of them had spotted me, as I was standing beside a tree while Blueblood and his troupe crouched behind several bushes. Since the drone had already seen me, no point in hiding, I waved to him with a hesitant smile. The drone gave a small wave in return and continued hovering in midair for several minutes. However, after those minute went by, the vestal stopped and hovered like the drone. The army of changelings stopped with it and all turned toward me, all eyes locked onto me. If I thought being stared at by fake Luna was creepy, try eight thousand lidless eyes staring at you in a single motion. Now that’s freaking creepy.

After a few bone chilling seconds later, a larger, more regal Changeling stepped over the ship’s railing, her slitted draconic eyes gazing at me with interest. The Queen wore a rose silk dress lined with silver trimming, white flowers covered the red silk. Her heir done up in a bun, held together with golden pins, four white roses set in her heir.

Said Queen made her way down to me, five drones in grey bone armor following. She stood a head shorter than me, but there was no mistaking her power. I could feel it radiating off her like the sun’s warmth. Probably just as powerful as Celestia. She didn’t speak at first, choosing to look me over, her search ending on my runes.

The Queen stepped forward, her eyes meeting mine. “Salutations, I am Queen Carapace, Ruler of the Western Rose Hive. If it pleases you, who might you be, mighty warrior?”

Good manners, just like Bilbo Baggins. I bowed before speaking, “Hello, I am Obsidian Fang. I and my friends are traveling to rescue the Princesses of Equestria, who’ve been taken by a fellow Changeling Queen. I hope to not offend your Highness, but, are you one of Chrysalis’ allies?”

Queen Carapace lightly scoffed, anger clear in her tone. She looked behind me for a second, as my companions came out of hiding, then continued. “To answer your bold question, no. I despise Chrysalis for everything she stands for. And you say she’s captured Celestia?” She rolled her eyes. “Seems that Alicorn can’t keep herself out of trouble, first it was her sister’s return, then the wedding, Discord’s return, Tirek’s return, and now this. Can’t she take care of herself? I would give up my silver pearls to see her full power, on the respect that they aren’t aimed at me…”

I chuckled at the thought. “Same, though I’m not into pearls.”

Carapace smiled, “Yes, but enough of my ranting, you’re here to rescue the Princesses?”

I nodded.

“Interesting, for I am here to reclaim something that was stolen from me too… Or rather, somebug…” She ground the last bit out in fury, her hands close to fists.

“Who? If I may ask?”

The Queen took a moment to wind down. “My daughter. Princess Antonina.”

I nodded as she fumed for a few more minutes. Thinking for a second, I came up with a proposal. “What if we attacked together? If we were to attack on our own, we’d have to go through the hive from the bottom, no doubt killing every changeling on the way.”

Carapace nodded, allowing me to continue.

“If we could hitch a ride on your ship, we’d get there much faster. And if we could help you retrieve your daughter, it would be my honor to be in your favor. I will assist you whenever you need it.” I ended my offer with a respectful nod.

The Queen looked at the ground for a few minutes, rubbing her cheek in thought. After more thought, she looked up at me and smiled. “Welcome to the Rose Hive, Sir Fang. You’ll be riding with me.”

I gave her a puzzled look before another thunderous roar was heard from behind. I turned around in shock to see two more hulking ships decloak with a swift hum. My jaw hung agape as I stared at the three battle ships in awe. Dang, they’re not messing around! 'LORD, WHAT WAS CHRYSALIS THINKING, KIDNAPPING A QUEEN’S OFFSPRING?!!! ESPECUALLY CARAPACE’S??!!!'

I turned back to Queen Carapace, still awestruck, as she gave me a wide smile. “You think that’s something? Wait until we get to the fun part.”

Her wings buzzed to live as she lifted off and sped toward the flagship. Each pony received a drone to carry them to said ship. I however, had to have four drones carry me, all sweating by the time we arrived on board.

The Queen stepped onto the deck, her dress shed, samurai styled armor replacing clothes and two broad swords in hand. “Get ready, the battle’s about ready to commence.”

Author's Note:

You ready?


4/25/2020: Almost done with the next chapter (32).
See This!

PreviousChapters Next