• Published 5th Apr 2018
  • 17,601 Views, 709 Comments

Wolves of Night and Blade: Book I - One of Nine



Once, I was your ever-day twenty-year old nerd. Now though, I fight demons and monsters in the land of Equestria. And on top that all of, I think Princess Luna has been ogling me.

  • ...
90
 709
 17,601

PreviousChapters Next
2. The Truth

The rays of sunlight weaved their way through the window, hitting me square in the face. I rolled over in an attempt to forget their blinding rays, only to face a large candle, it’s fire still burning from last night. I was too lazy to blow it out, too lazy to anything right now. To just rest and sleep was my plan.

In truth, I had gone through a phase went I was thirteen, a phase about wolves. I studied their diets and habits, and one thing that I unwittingly adopted was their sleep pattern. Wolves would sleep from noon till midnight, and thus, so would I. And now, I could fully enjoy that part of myself without an excuse.

Celestia’s questions had rang into the evening, up until I couldn’t hold back a yawn. I then told her of a wolf’s sleeping pattern, believing I had gained that along with my new body. She nodded and allowed me to return to my room, under guarded escort of course. She still didn't seem to trust me.

Sadly, my continued plan was foiled by a loud knocking on the door, forcing me to open my eyes and glare at the slab of wood. Rolling onto my back and sitting up, I yawned out, “Come in.”

The door opened to reveal the same maid from the day before, her form shaking in my presence. “U-um, the Princesses would like to see you. W-well, Princess Luna would, I mean.”

I nodded and pushed the sheets off me, I had slept in my pants last light, not having any pajamas. “Thanks, I’ll be over in a minute.”

She smiled and left me to get dressed. After doing so, I made my way from my room to the guards posted outside my door. I turned to the guard on my left, “Hi, could you direct me to Princess Luna’s chambers? The maid said that I was summoned by her.”

The stallion looked at me, sighed, and said, “Down the hall, turn left then right, her room is on the right.”

“Thanks.” But just before I headed off, the guard grabbed my arm.

“Don’t you dare hurt her in any way, or you’ll have me and the rest of the Guard to deal with.” I nodded, doubting that would happen.

I followed the guy’s instructions, leading me to a pair of golden double doors with a crescent moon shared between them. But before I could knock, a guard stepped in front of me, his stone-hard face regarding me with cold contempt.

“Uh, hi. I was requested by the Princess. Can I go in or does she need a minute?” I asked with a raised brow.

“Everything was perfect before you were brought here.” His voice was scratchy, as if he hadn’t drunk water in days.

“Well, sorry, but I had no control over that.”

“Of course, you didn’t. You always fumbled into everything you did.” He then leaned in, close to my ear. “Your time here will soon be over. Know this, adopted son of the King; you were once mine, and soon will be again.”

I stared at the guy with a slack jaw before the door behind him creaked open. “Oh, Obsidian. Please come in, you don’t have to stand there all alone.” Called Luna as she stuck her head out.

I blinked before looking around, the guard was gone. Vanished as if he’d never been there. I looked to Luna, “Uh, did you see the guard?”

She looked at me funny, “What guard? There are many guards here.” She pointed to a passing patrol of two.

I shook my head, trying to clear it and shoving the incident away. “Um, never mind. So, you wanted to see me?”

“Yes. I wanted to tell you something.” She inched her way back in. I followed soon after, taking a quick look around before fully heading in. Where had he gone?

“Okay, so what did you want to tell me?” I turned around to see Luna in a sky-blue dress, the skirt going down to her heals, a slit in the side. Her chest barely showing.

“Remember when I said that the cultists changed me?” I nodded. “They not only did that, but through that, also placed your memories inside my head.”

Oh shoot! Well, at least she didn’t read my mind.

“What did you see?” I asked, starting to get worried. Did she see any of my sins? I know God’s forgiven me, but will she accept me, as He did?

“I saw that you have a certain faith you live by. Christianity, is it?”

I nodded.

“You believe that there is a Creator of your world, and possibly mine, that guides and protects all that he makes. Though some sacrifices are made, he still loves all unchangeably… Why? I saw how destructive your people are, their hate, their anger toward one another, and yet… your God loves them despite this? Even those Muslims who claimed a great land for themselves when it was already another’s. That it was theirs’ to begin with, yet the Israelites had it long before them. Even before the Muslims themselves were born, the Israelites were given this land by your God…”

Luna went on, describing how we humans were so deadly, and as she stated; the Lord loves us still. After nearly an hour of Luna’s ramblings, she finally collapsed on her bed, huffing. During the entire time, I stood there, listening. And even when she stopped, I stayed quiet and thought. A while later, I spoke.

“Luna, I can’t tell you how many times that whole deal has stumped me. A God that loves a people who curse, hate, and kill his adopted children. I myself don’t understand it fully sometimes. And to add to this; I make mistakes more times than I’d like. But I can help you get a better picture.” She sat up and tilted her head at me. “I sometimes think of God as a great king; wise and just. Watching over the earth with utmost care. Seeing the suffering his people were going through, back and forth between following him and their own wants, he sacrificed his only son to die and pay the debt we could not. Then, after his son returned to him, he laid out a new covenant; that whoever be searching for his kingdom will find it. ‘Knock and the door shall be open to you, ask and you shall receive.’ Not just to the Jews, they thought that God was just for them, and them only. No, he came to save all from sin, not just them.”

Luna glared down at the floor, no doubt putting herself in the Lord’s shoes. If someone had hurt, or even killed, my son, then no force on earth could stop me from breaking them. Thank, well, the Lord that He’s in control.

“It seems that not even the people your Creator chose were good enough to receive his blessings.” She fumed.

I sighed with a light shrug. “Well, we’re all filled with darkness, but only God can truly deliver us from the shadows of our heart.”

Luna slowly nodded and quoted. “The heart is wicked and seeks to corrupt.”

“Yeah.” After a few minutes, I stood and turned to her. “Well, uh, was there anything else? Anything more you wanted to know?”

The Princess rubbed her chin in thought. “In truth, I haven’t eaten much since yesterday morning, skipping meals every so often. I originally tried fruits and vegetables, but I always expelled them after. I didn’t want to believe it, but after hearing you yesterday, I finally saw what I needed to do. A-and it scared me… I’m sorry for hitting you, I didn’t hurt you, did I?”

“Nah, it’ll take a lot more that that to bang me up.” Feeling it time to give her a smile, a posed with my fists on my waist, looking off into the distance. All the while puffing out my chest. This earned a giggle and a smile from the Princess. “But, to help you, we’ll need to visit the kitchens and get some meat. Are there any chefs who won’t faint at the sight?” Luna calmed down and straightened herself.

“Yes, in fact. There is a Gryphon chef by the name of Cast Feather who specializes in meats whenever there is a visitor from her home lands.” She chirped. “I’m sure she would be happy to help.”

I nodded and motioned for the door. “Good, let’s go see her.”

“Let’s.” Agreed the Princess before I opened the door for her, I followed soon after she exited.

We made our way down several halls, heading toward the kitchen. With all sleep forgotten, I was ready for something to eat, my stomach echoing in agreement. After a few more turns, we made our way into a large room with a long marble table, wooden chairs surrounding it. And to our surprise, Celestia sat at the table’s end, munching on a bowl of cereal and a platter of salad.

When the elder Princess looked up, she smiled and greeted, “Good morning Luna, how was your rest?”

Hey, what am I? Chopped liver?

“Very well, sister.” She then noticed Celestia’s breakfast. “You’re not having your usual?”

The solar ruler blushed. “No, I’m trying to cut back.”

So, Celestia was a cake lover in this world, huh? I softly cleared my throat, getting Celestia’s attention. She gave a small nod, I smiled and nodded back.

“Her majesty would like to try an assortment of meats. Do you know where, uh…” I looked to Luna, searching for the name.

“Cast Feather.” Luna whispered into my ear, giving me a smile after.

I nodded in thanks. “Yes, Cast Feather, where is he?”

The Princess of the Night whispered to me again, a light giggle following. “He is a she.”

My eyes widened, my face dropping as I pinched the bridge of my snout. “Woops. She, I mean she. Uh, do you know where she is?”

Celestia snickered, but regained her stature after. “Yes. In fact, she should be coming on right now.”

Not a moment later did a brown gryphon step from the pantry doors, dressed in white clothes and a chef’s hat. Upon noticing us, she bowed to the two Princesses, but stopped and stared at me. She continued to look me up and down, eyeing me like a slab of meat. It was getting annoying. I narrowed my eyes, peeled back my lips, flattened my ears, and gave her a low snarl. Immediately, she snapped back to reality, her ember eyes wide with fright.

“Ah, s-sorry.” She shrieked, settling down after a moment.

My face returned to normal, I nodded and leaned against the table. “It’s ok, I just don’t like being stared at. It’s uncomfortable.”

“I see, what can I get you?”

I hummed in thought before smiling. “How about… a cheese, ham, and beacon omelet with white buttered toast. Haven’t had that in a while.”

“Sure thing. Only be a minute.” She then gathered the materials and began working.

I then turned back to see both Princesses staring at me with wide eyes, Celestia’s were more fearful. Luna gazed at me with, from what I could tell, half fear and half wonder. What was she thinking? Why was she looking at me like was a prized jewel? The two soon broke from their trances and relaxed in their chairs. I sat on Celestia’s left, while Luna to her right, both waiting for our meals. Seeming uncomfortable in the silence, Luna turned to her sister.

“I noticed yesterday that the nobles are getting restless. Anything we can do to ease them?” Her voice was edged with concern.

The Solar Princess sighed, placing her utensils on the table. “They’ve been demanding to see you. Demanding that you show yourself after your capture.”

“And?” Luna inquired with a raised brow.

“I told them that you needed time to recover.” Her eyes began to water slightly, barely holding back her tears. “I’m scared Lulu. I’m afraid that you’ll be rejected by my little ponies like you were when you returned. I don’t want to see that again. For your sake and mine.”

“Have faith.” I spoke up, crossing my arms. The two sisters turned to me, curious. “If they can’t accept you, then they are a lost cause. Instead, look to those who will; your sister, friends, those who see you for who you are. And not what you are.”

They nodded in understanding, both mulling over what I had said. Finally, after a minute of two, Celestia spoke up. “Wise counsel, Obsidian. You wear it well.”

“Sure.” I shrugged, my ears perking up. “I’d rather see others thrive than fall. No point in failing Luna when she needs all the help she can get.”

She nodded. “Very true.” After that, she mouthed the words “Thank you”, I nodded in return.

Meanwhile, Luna blushed slightly at the praise. “Indeed, thank you Obsidian.”

I raised a hand, “Please, Obsidian seems too long for me. If you want, call me Fang for short. A little easier that way.”

“Very well, Fang it is then.” Smiled Celestia as she went back to eating.

Soon, the smell of warm crispy bacon, ham, and eggs graced my nose, my mouth as I continued to sniff. Smacking my lips, trying to dry them out, I looked to see three butlers surrounding Luna with large platters. Each wearing a tux and bow tie, curled mustaches to match. They wordlessly lowered the platters to reveal silver plates stacked high with different meats. From what I could tell, there was beef, pork, ham, stake, salmon, halibut, and many more. One of which was moose. And of course, when I smelt that, my mouth immediately started watering. Several seconds passed as I stared at the marvelous piece of moose flesh begging to be eaten. Though, Luna noticed my trance-like state and enveloped the plate in her magic, her teal eyes transforming into draconic slits. She then let it hover over to me, the plate circling before my nose in a teasing manner.

“See something you like?” She giggled before setting it down in front of me.

I blinked, snapping out of my stupor, and engaged the new conversation. “Huh? O-oh, yeah. Sorry, it’s yours, you have it.”

Luna watched as I scooted the plate away. “Nonsense, we have a good stock until the next shipment arrives. If this would please you, then please, take it.”

I looked down at the slab of dry meat before me, to Luna, Celestia and back again. 'Should I take this? I mean, she offered it to me, so… it’s ok right? But she also needed to at least try it, see how it tastes. But she also said that there’s a shipment coming in, so it’s still ok. Ah, for the heck of it!'

Finally making up my mind, I nodded and set the plate before me, fork in hand.

“Thanks.” I then cut, stabbed the slice, and brought it to my drooling lips. And what I tasted was pure heaven. Though I bet that if I were there now, it would've tasted a thousand times better. As I continued to eat, the princesses giggled as I moaned in bliss.

I continued eating, the Princesses engaged in their gossip. Talking about the nobles and their elaborate scams to gain money or power. It honestly sickened me to hear just how many of them tried at these things, how many cared more about their status than the welfare of others. I almost considered not finishing my meal, but thankfully, my real breakfast arrived not long after. Providing me with a distraction.

In all honesty, the omelet was probably one of the best I’ve had. No offence to my Mom’s cooking. As the Princesses continued to talk, I noticed that both weren’t eating. Odd, weren’t they hungry. Waiting for a moment to speak, I took note that Luna sported a bandage over her hand. How had I missed that? At that moment, my new instincts decided that today wasn’t one to slack off, my nose twitching as the scents found their way to it. A smell came from the bandage, the rank stench of blood infested my nose, its bitter and salty flavor dancing on my tongue. Looking closer, I saw that the rags weren’t stained with red blood, but green. A small area of the clothe coated in a dry olive-green liquid. Before they could notice me, I turned my head toward the stained windows, pretending to admire their beauty.

So… the only creatures that I knew of in Equestria with green blood would’ve been Changelings. Though, the only time that I knew them to be impersonating the Royal Sisters would have been… at the end of Season six. 'The season finally. Ok, good, I’m not at the beginning… too long of a wait. Which means… that the real Luna and Celestia were being held at the Changeling Hive in the bad lands. And depending on what day it was, Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, and Discord were probably already there getting their tails handed to them.

… Lord please help me come up with somethin’…

'Ok, made a plan; overthrow the fakes, gather a small band of soldiers (maybe, if they’ll listen), and take back all the royals and the Elements. I looked to the chatting fakes, they were good actresses, but bad at keeping themselves hidden. So, since I needed them taken out, how would I do it? I then noticed a silver goblet to my right, an inch way from my hand. I wasn’t big on ore and minerals, but silver was stronger than gold. Gold itself would be heavy, but also easily dented. Not good when you break something of your host’s now is it?'

After a few minutes of thinking, I decided to wait and gather more info on my two enemies. I then noticed a foul odor in the air, smelling of decay and earth, I turned to find the scent coming from the two ‘royals’. Both reeking of the same distasteful smell. Again, how I didn’t notice it before was beyond me.

'If I could catch one of them as their changeling forms, that’d be enough for me. Anyways, time to get down to business. Time to engage the enemy, hopefully with the Lord’s blessing. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.'

Author's Note:

Hello again, hope you're enjoying :)

PreviousChapters Next