• Published 1st Apr 2018
  • 312 Views, 10 Comments

My Little Rainbows 2: Rainbow Harder - The PatioHeater



A rewrite of my first My Little Rainbows, only so SO much better. Essentially it's just Rainbow Dash's childhood. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it will change your life.

  • ...
 10
 312

3 years

“So what you got do is this!” Dash shouted, giving orders to her sisters, as she described how to properly flap their wings.
They did their best to mimic her, but somehow it never worked for them. Dash could so easily lift herself into the sky, but they couldn't even get their hooves off the ground. Rainbow was in the back laughing to herself, full of admiration for the precious moment between her daughters. She had taken so many pictures already, but was saving the last few for when they were all in the air.
“It's okay girls,” She praised, “You'll get there. Try it yourself. Ignore what Dash said. It's not the same for everyone.”
Full of confidence knowing that there was another way they started doing what felt natural. Swirl felt it first, the sensation of leaving the ground without jumping. It was exhilerating. She quickly zipped to Dash, already exhausted but high on the buzz of her first flight.
Shine had a little more trouble. While her sisters' wings were often fidgeting she never found hers doing the same, so whatever she did didn't feel quite right. But it never stopped her.
While Swirl and Dash were practicing taking off and landing, and sharing incorrect tips with each other, Shine managed it. Her hooves left the ground and she joined her sisters.
Rainbow snapped the picture, the perfect picture, before it all went wrong.
Shine landed again, breathing heavily. It was exhausting for her, expending so much energy so quickly when she wasn't a particularly active child. It didn't feel like she was taking in enough air, like her lungs were tightening. Her vision blurred and she went light headed.

The next thing she knew she was surrounded by her mother and two paramedics, breathing from an odd mask.
“And she's awake,” the paramedic said triumphantly. He had no doubt she'd be fine, but mothers worry and he was okay with that. “You should get her to the doctor. Probably asthma.”
Rainbow nodded. “Right. I'll make an appointment as soon as possible.”

The next week Shine was sat in a room that smelt too clean and having various tests done to her. The doctor seemed to know what he was doing, so she was happy to let him.
“Definitely asthma,” the doctor confirmed. “I'll prescribe her an inhaler. You make sure she's doing it right.”
“Of course, doctor.” Rainbow squeezed her child. “You're fine, Shiny. Just a little breathing thing. No biggy,” she comforted herself more than Shine.
“Say, does she always squint like that?”
“She squints?”
“You should take her to an opticians. If she needs glasses better do it before it gets worse.”
Rainbow nodded frantically. “I'll get on it soon as.”

Shine found herself in a different room that smelt too clean, but it was less welcoming. There were eyes everywhere. Literally. Models, pictures and jars full of them!
And the tests weren't as friendly either. Not knowing the alphabet properly was a massive hinderance, meaning instead of a simple reading test they had to use a big machine that scared her. It didn't seem safe to put your face in.
“Oh she definitely needs glasses,” she said. “Take a look.”
She spun the display around. “See this? This is bad eyesight.”
It didn't make any sense, but they weren't opticians so how would they know?
“A quick other test and we'll find the right strength glasses for you, munchkin. And don't worry. This is a much better machine. Makes less noise.”
Shine nodded, but she wasn't happy. The optician somehow seemed less trustworthy than the doctor.
It took a little while to set the machine up but Shine saw a difference immediately. It hurt less. Her eyes stopped aching, and with each increment of strength it got better.
“You can choose the style later, but let's try these on. They should be perfect for you.”
Shine shut her eyes, nose screwed up, as the optician placed the glasses on her. When she opened them again she couldn't help but smile. Everything looked right. She looked to her mother and laughed.
“You're so pretty,” she squeaked.
Rainbow smiled back. It was such a genuine compliment it touched her heart. “So are you, sweetie.”
“Come on,” said the optician as she stood up. “Let's go choose a design and we'll have them made up for you.”

Half an hour later Shine walked out with two new pairs of glasses, one of which Rainbow had safely tucked away in her bag, and also an inhaler tied to a piece of string around her neck like a necklace.