• Published 1st Apr 2018
  • 5,789 Views, 441 Comments

The Iron Horse: Human After All - The Hat Man



Turing Test is a robot pony. She's Equestria's Minister of Technology (it's a long story). When she learns of the untold advanced technology in the world of humans, however, she sets off on the ultimate field trip. Canterlot High has a new student...

  • ...
9
 441
 5,789

Video Killed the Radio Star

Pinkie opened the door and grinned when she saw Sunset and Turing Test standing there.

“Hi, Pinkie,” Sunset said. “We’re here!”

“Yay, you’re here!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“I would also like to acknowledge that we are here,” Turing said. “I am also looking forward to this sleepover, Pinkie Pie.”

“Me too! Come on in, everybody’s already here!”

Pinkie led them back to her room where, indeed, everyone else was already there.

“Hey, you’re finally here!” Rainbow Dash said, springing to her feet from her sitting position on the floor.

Turing looked at Sunset. “Is it a common custom of humans to comment on their ‘here’-ness?”

“Their what?” Rainbow asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Nothing, never mind,” Sunset said, waving a hand. “Anyway, I brought Turing Test and a robot-themed movie of my choice, just like we decided.”

“We’re glad you were able to find one, at least,” Rarity said, glancing over at Applejack. “Applejack came empty-handed.”

Applejack crossed her arms indignantly. “No, I brought some sparklin’ apple soda. That ain’t what I call empty-handed,” she said. “I just didn’t bring a movie… the family doesn’t have many anyway, an’ the ones we do sure don’t have robots in ‘em.”

“Don’t worry, Applejack,” Fluttershy said as she put a hand gently on her shoulder. “We’ve got plenty of movies to watch tonight anyway. I just wish Twilight could be here.”

“Yeah, it’s too bad that she was sick,” Sunset said. “In the meantime, Turing’s been doing a lot of research into our world. She spent most of the afternoon on the internet.”

“It was very informative,” Turing remarked. “I learned a great deal of useful information about human society, technological advances, and culture. You truly are an amazing species.”

“Aww, well ain’t that a nice thing to say?” Applejack said.

“I also learned that the internet is filled with cats, that several franchises are ruined forever, and found many oblique references to some protocol designated ‘Rule 34’ that Sunset Shimmer informed me I was not ready to learn about.”

The others looked over to Sunset and gave her a simultaneous nod of approval.

“Anyway, what movies are we going to watch?” Sunset asked.

“Well, since we all brought one (minus AJ, but thanks for the soda just the same),” Pinkie began, “I was thinking we could all vote on which one to watch first! Or else we could just pull names out of a hat. Ooh, but we need a hat first!”

She rushed outside suddenly and returned with a wide-brimmed black hat.

“Okay, I got one!”

From down the hall, a man’s voice shouted “Pinkamena Diane Pie, you return my hat this instant!”

“I’ll bring it back in just a minute, Dad, I promise!” she shouted back. To the others, she said “Someone write down the names and we’ll put ‘em in!”

Applejack decided that she would be the designated scribe since she hadn’t brought a movie.

“I brought Wall-E,” Sunset said.

“I brought both Terminator movies,” Rainbow Dash said, “but honestly we can just skip to T2.”

“I have Short Circuit 2,” Rarity said. “Not my taste, but Sweetie Belle and the other CMCs recommended it.”

“I can attest that they have good taste in movies,” Turing commented. “At least the ones in my world do.”

“I brought The Iron Giant!” Pinkie squealed.

“And, um… I brought…” Fluttershy gingerly held up the DVD she was holding.

“Ugh,” Rainbow Dash groaned. “You brought Ghost in the Shell? The old anime one? That snoozefest?! Seriously?!”

“W-well, I like it!” Fluttershy said, puffing herself up indignantly. “And since Turing Test was interested in robots who had more human bodies, I thought it might be a good one for her to watch! At least better than a movie about robots who try to blow each other to smithereens!”

“Okay, okay!” Sunset exclaimed, stepping between them. “Look, Turing wanted to watch a bunch of different depictions of robots, so maybe it’s good that we all picked such different movies.”

“Still wish someone brought Robocop,” Rainbow grumbled.

“Welp, that’s all of ‘em,” Applejack said, writing the last of the titles on the list. She tore the note into separate strips of paper and tossed them into Pinkie’s father’s hat. “Now, to make it official, wanna pull ‘em out of the hat, Turing Test? You can do the honors since you’re our guest after all.”

The other girls smiled at her, and Turing smiled back. “Very well,” she replied. “Please mix them up thoroughly behind my back so I cannot calculate their position in the hat. I will pull them out randomly, and we may commence watching them.”

She was about to turn when she paused and said, “Actually, I wish to first state my gratitude to you all. You accepted me as a friend and companion so readily, even though I am neither an organic being nor even of your world. That you would all form an activity to satisfy my curiosity about human culture is truly touching. Thank you.”

They all stared back at her for a moment before uttering a collective “Awwwww!”

“Well, let’s get this party started!” Pinkie said. “Come on, Rinny, and pull a movie title out of the hat!”

Turing nodded and reached up to the hat that Pinkie held aloft. The movie marathon was about to begin…

***

The Iron Giant

“I personally identify with the theme of the robot and the organics forming a basis of friendship and understanding even with some misunderstanding and fear as obstacles. A truly wonderful film.”


Short Circuit 2

“I can attest that the experience of being a sapient robot is indeed similar to that of the main character. In many ways, his story parallels my own life. Though I fail to see why you all laughed so frequently during this extremely serious portrayal of a fellow robot coming into his own.”

“Whatever, ‘Number 5,’” Rainbow said with a snicker.

“I will have you know that my designated number is 003.”

“Wait, what?”


Wall-E

“A stirring love story. If I were capable of tears, I would have shed them at the point that it seemed Wall-E had lost his memory. The love between the main characters was stirring, and I likewise enjoyed the idea of the humans and robots working to rebuild society. It also made me wish that my significant other was present.”

“Ooh,” Rarity cooed. “I didn’t think that you would have a special someone. Who’s the lucky fellow?”

At that moment, there was a knock on the door. Pinkie answered it. Turing’s eyes went wide when she saw who it was.

“Hello Pinkie,” Maud Pie said in her usual deadpan as she stood in the doorway in her nightshirt. “Hello everyone else. I just wanted to ask if I could have a slice of your plain cheese pizza.”

“Sure!” Pinkie said. “Oh, hey, come meet Rinny!”

“Rinny?” Maud asked.

Turing instantly rose to her feet and walked to greet her. “Ah. Hello Maud Pie,” she said. “I am very glad to see you.”

Maud blinked slowly.

“Oh, forgive me. I am Turing Test, though your sister refers to me as ‘Rinny.’ I am a robot horse from another dimension who has come to learn about human culture and technology.”

Maud blinked again as the others just stared at her.

“That’s cool,” Maud said calmly. “So, you’re made of metal?”

Turing nodded.

Maud reached for her arm. “May I?”

“Yes, you may.”

Maud lifted Turing’s arm and ran her finger along its surface. She sniffed it. “Titanium,” Maud whispered, letting her gaze wander up the arm to Turing’s shoulder, neck, and finally meeting her eyes. “Along with vanadium and molybdenum.”

Turing smiled, her face almost dreamy. “Correct as always, Maud Pie.”

Maud let Turing’s arm go and brushed her hair back as her cheeks colored ever-so-slightly, a ghost of a smile on her lips. “Well, it was nice to meet you,” she said. “Have fun, Pinkie.”

Pinkie went over to Turing Test and noticed that her LED eyes were in the shape of hearts.

“Oh. My. Gosh!” she squealed. “You mean to say that my sister—”

“Ah,” Turing said, turning back to her friends, ignoring their curious stares to take her seat next to Sunset and Rarity. “Forgive me. Let us return to our viewing.”

Rarity chuckled. “As you wish, darling,” she said. “Though I think we all just got quite the show already.”


Terminator 2: Judgment Day

“My sister 002 would enjoy this movie. I must make it a point to never show it to her.”


Ghost in the Shell

“While I believe I understand the rudimentary themes of the film, I do not see why the main character cares so little for her body. If I were to possess a body of similar construction to hers, I would treat it with a great deal more care.”

***

It was quite late at night (or early in the morning, to be more accurate) when the final film was watched. The other girls who had managed to make it through the final movie quickly fell asleep, leaving Turing Test to her own devices. She noted that she hadn’t recharged since her arrival, and decided to find a power source before she went into sleep mode for the night.

She quietly made her way from Pinkie’s bedroom into the darkened hallway. She’d previously discovered at Sunset’s house that the compartment on her back was still present in her current form, but that it now contained an extendable electrical cord with a series of metal prongs at the end. Sunset had informed her that she could plug it into an “outlet,” but she had neglected to describe or locate one for her before they departed for the sleepover.

Fortunately, she spotted one in the Pie family living room next to a sofa and realized that the pattern of holes in the outlet perfectly matched the prongs of the electrical cord. She plugged herself in and took a seat on the couch. She decided that such a place might be the best place to spend the night, as returning to the room could possibly wake her new friends.

“Oh. It’s you.”

Turing looked up and saw Maud Pie standing at the doorway between the living room and the kitchen.

“Good evening, Maud Pie,” she said. “My apologies if I disturbed you. I was merely attempting to find a means of recharging myself.”

“It’s fine. I was just getting a glass of water for myself,” Maud said. “And a snack for Boulder.”

Turing smiled. “I see. Well, then I suppose you will return to bed.”

“I was planning to,” Maud said as she turned to go.

Turing watched her turn to leave, but then said, “Before you go, Maud Pie… would you like to hear a joke?”

Maud turned to look at her, her expression still perfectly blank. “Sure.”

“A pony - ah, perhaps I should modify the joke to be more species-appropriate - a human walked up to me and loudly exclaimed ‘I am a teepee! I am a wigwam! I am a teepee! I am a wigwam!’ I alerted the authorities and they escorted the human to a mental institution. With proper medication he will likely recover.”

Maud gave a tiny smile that Turing would recognize anywhere. She came over to Turing and sat down next to her. “That was pretty good. My turn: what do you call a dog with three legs?”

“I do not know.”

“A dog. Having three legs doesn’t change that.”

Turing nodded. “Very true. Would you like to continue to tell jokes in this manner?”

Maud nodded back to her. “Your turn.”

“Very well. What do you call…”

***

A knock. A woman’s voice.

“Gadget? Honey, are you coming up?”

She stirred. “Yes, senpai… right... there…” she moaned.

The door atop the basement stairs opened, casting the morning light into the area below.

“Gadget! Oh, sweetie, did you fall asleep at your workbench again?!”

Gadget groaned, slowly raising her head - her dark brown hair a tangled mess engulfing it - from where she was hunched over the surface of her workbench.

“Ugh… what… what time is it?”

“Nine o’clock,” her mother replied from atop the steps. “Honestly, Gadget, you should take a break sometimes.”

“I break sometimes,” she muttered.

“What was that, sweetie?”

“Nothing,” she said more loudly. “I mean, nine o’clock is early for a Saturday.”

“Do weekends mean anything for someone in an independent study program?” her mother asked.

“Weekends are sacred, Mama,” she said, standing up and stretching her stiff back. “Nothing can change that.”

“Nevertheless, you have a bedroom upstairs, so you might as well sleep in it. For now, come on up. I’ll make you breakfast. I’m certain I can do better than your toaster.”

“Toaster - is - active,” the automated toaster said.

“No, no,” Gadget said. “No toast.”

“Command - for - plain - toast - accepted. Now - toasting.”

“Darn it!” Gadget growled, running over to the toaster to unplug it. “Mon Dieu, why did I make it so sensitive?”

“So, I take it you want pancakes?” her mother asked, a hint of amusement in her voice.

“Yes, that sounds nice,” she said, letting her eyes wander back over to the result of her work lying on the workbench. A bulky, metallic gauntlet designed to cover the whole forearm was there, palm up, wires were laced along the length of the arm and down to the fingertips. “I’ll need to keep up my strength. I have a lot of work today.”

She went upstairs, shielding her eyes with her arm against the bright light. The tidy little kitchen of her house was already set, and the smell of pancakes on the electric griddle made her mouth water. She saw her little brother, Fall Leaf, was already seated at the table, his short orange and brown-streaked hair sticking out at odd angles. He had a handheld video game system at the table and didn’t acknowledge her until she sat down next to him.

He sniffed the air. “P.U., you stink, Sis!” he said, waving the air.

“Shut up, Fall Leaf, I do not!” she shot back at him.

“Yeah you do!” he said, holding his nose. “You smell like you’ve been up all night playing video games and watching your weird cartoons again.”

“It wasn’t all night!” she shouted. She shook her head. “I mean, they’re not cartoons, they’re ‘anime!’”

“You were probably up reading those gross comics, too,” Fall Leaf added, a sadistic grin on his face.

Her face turned bright red. “Th-they’re not gross! I mean, n-no I wasn’t!”

“All right, that’s enough out of you both!” their mother snapped. She heaved a long sigh. “Honestly, you both need a shower, for one. And for two, if you don’t stop fighting, I’m tossing the pancake batter down the drain and feeding you plain shredded wheat.”

They both fell silent, smoldering as they sat next to each other. As soon as their mother turned her back, though, Fall Leaf stuck his tongue out at Gadget.

She grit her teeth and managed to ignore him as she waited for breakfast. She decided that she wasn’t going to waste her energy fighting her bratty brother.

After all, she told herself with a smirk, today is a fine day for science!

***

Sunset found Turing Test standing in the Pie family’s backyard the next morning. She was staring up at the sky.

“Scanning,” she muttered. Then, without turning around, she said “Good morning, Sunset Shimmer. Did you sleep well?”

“How did you know it was me?” Sunset asked.

“The rhythm of your footsteps and regular rhythm of your heartbeat. I record such data whenever I interact with others. By detecting when others are approaching and identifying them preemptively, I can anticipate their needs.”

“Well, that’s neat,” Sunset said as she came up alongside her and likewise looked up at the sky. "Did you sleep well?"

"No. I do not sleep."

"I meant—"

"I did have a very enjoyable time speaking with Maud Pie," she added.

"Oh?" Sunset asked, raising her eyebrow.

"Do not misunderstand. We only spoke together. Though she is a different version of Maud Pie, she is not the Maud Pie with whom I currently share a relationship. I would not be unfaithful to her, even if I were to cheat on her with her."

Sunset blinked. "Somehow I think Twilight would have understood that conversation better."

"Pony Twilight Sparkle or human Twilight Sparkle?"

"Yes." She shook her head. “Er, anyway, what are you looking at out here?”

“That object,” Turing said, pointing upward.

Sunset followed with her eyes and saw that she was pointing at a jet plane passing high overhead.

“The jet plane?” Sunset asked. “Ah, that makes sense. I couldn’t really believe them the first time I saw one up close.”

“I am able to measure its size, distance, and speed,” she said. “It appears as though it would be quite massive. By that I mean both that it is large and also that it has great mass. Yet it is able to fly.”

“Well, they sure don’t have anything like that in Equestria, do they?” Sunset asked.

“Not on a large scale, no,” Turing said. “In my pony form, I am capable of switching to what has been termed ‘P-form,’ in which I am able to fly utilizing jet engines combined with magic from my thaumatrium reserves. Yet humans are able to create machines so much larger and yet capable of incredible speeds without the use of any magic at all. They are so clever!”

Sunset chuckled. “Yeah, I guess they make do without magic pretty well,” she said. “Well, I came out here to say that we’re probably going to leave after breakfast. I’ve been trying to think about what to show you next, but I think I’ve got a great idea.”

“I look forward to seeing your idea,” she said. Then she paused. “Actually, Sunset Shimmer, may I be permitted to conduct a short experiment of my own?”

Sunset raised her eyebrow. “Uh, what do you mean?”

“I’ve explored my functions and discovered that I lack any of my normal modes,” she said. “Yet I seem to have other functions, the nature of which I have yet to discover. However, based on my reaction to something I encountered yesterday, I believe that I—”

“Uh, Turing, maybe you should just show me what you mean,” Sunset said flatly.

“Understood. One moment please,” she said, and suddenly took hold of Sunset’s wrist.

“Turing Test?” Sunset asked. “What are you—”

Then she saw as Turing’s eyes flashed white, much like hers did when she used her geode’s power.

A moment later, Turing released her arm. “Experiment was successful. You wish to take me to a place called a ‘supermarket!’” she exclaimed with a smile. “My scan was incomplete, but I was able to discern your intention!”

“You… you stole my power?” Sunset breathed.

Turing’s eyes widened, her pupils shrinking. “No, not at all, Sunset Shimmer,” she said, holding up her hands. “You still retain your power. Still, when I witnessed you using your power yesterday, I realized that I still had the ability to scan magic powers and emulate them using my internal thaumatrium systems. Though I lack your degree of control, I think that I can emulate it more perfectly with time.”

“That’s… I mean, that’s impressive,” Sunset said. She frowned. “I guess I don’t know how I feel about the idea of you being able to just copy something I thought was unique to me.”

Turing blinked. “Ah. I see.” She bowed her head. “I understand. Twilight Sparkle had a similar reaction when she first learned that I could copy her spells.”

Sunset bit her lip. “Well, I mean, I don’t want to tell you not to use your unique gifts,” she said. “I just… I guess I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. Um… do you think you could keep your abilities under wraps for now?”

Turing looked down at herself. “Under wraps? But Sunset Shimmer, I am already wearing clothing.”

Sunset snickered. “Um, no, Turing, I meant that I’d like you to keep this a secret for a little bit. Just until I have time to think it over. Please?”

Turing smiled. “Very well, Sunset Shimmer. I will exercise restraint.”

“Great. Then let’s go back inside. Fluttershy said she’d drive us all over to the nearest supermarket, so you’ll get to ride in your first car!”

“I cannot wait!” Turing said as she walked with her back to the house. “I was speaking figuratively, of course. I can, in fact, wait the required amount of time.”

Sunset laughed. “Glad to hear it, Turing,” she said.

***

Gadget adjusted the last wire on the gauntlet and tightened a few screws. She looked it over, and gave an approving nod. “Okay, I think that ought to do it. Well, no point in putting things off any longer…”

She went to the other side of the room and switched on the camcorder she’d set up. She walked back to her workbench and stood before it.

“Uh, hello world!” she said, chuckling nervously. “I mean… um, hi, this is Gadgette Giroux. But, er, you can call me Gadget. Uh, right. Um…”

She shook her head and went over to the camera, switching it off before starting it again.

It’s just a camera, Gadget, she told herself. It’s not a person. Don’t think about people watching it. Or, if you do, think about how amazed they’ll be!

She cleared her throat. “Hello,” she said. “My name is Gadgette Giroux. I’m 15, and as part of my research in the Everton Independent Study Program, I’m researching, um… m-magic.”

She braced herself, taking a deep breath. “I know that must sound fantastic,” she told her future audience, “but I have documented evidence proving its existence. Though many in our community and the government have deemed the numerous events in Canterlot City to be nothing more than a pattern of elaborate hoaxes, not unlike crop circles or the like, I have made it my goal to study the evidence and seek to understand the phenomena surrounding these so-called hoaxes. The majority of these events centered around the local high school Canterlot High, and it was there that I first detected strange electromagnetic signatures that were far outside what could be considered normal. I designed my own method of tracking such signatures, and I eventually managed to find, well…”

She reached off to the side and retrieved a jar with a glowing ball of magic she’d placed nearby.

“...this.” She held it up proudly. “What you are seeing is not an illusion or a special effect of any kind. This is an orb of magic. I have been collecting many such orbs and studying their properties for months, and I believe I will soon have a representative sample size sufficient to reasonably estimate the average properties of these orbs and make reasonable predictions following the scientific method. I will document such things in other research logs and papers to follow.

“For now, however, I will attempt an experiment in which I will not merely measure magic’s properties, but test its potential applications. I have therefore designed this,” she continued, gesturing to the gauntlet on her workbench. “This device is the result of ‘Project Technomancer,’ my ongoing experiments toward the use of magic-powered technology. I have already used magic for rudimentary purposes, such as generating electricity and magnetizing substances, and while undirected magic is sometimes chaotic, I have discovered that it can be controlled if given direction. This gauntlet, if my hypothesis is correct, will allow me to remotely control technological devices of any kind through my own will.

“The applications and potential benefits of such technology are extensive: one of the greatest obstacles to the use of any complex machine is learning its operation. Technomancer will make it so that anyone may command a machine merely by thinking about it.”

She smiled. “But of course, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In this video, I will begin to document my experiments, thereby providing that evidence. I will now commence the experiment.”

She set the jar marked #8 next to the gauntlet. She donned a pair of heavy rubber gloves and pulled a pair of goggles over her face. She removed the lid and gently poured the orb into the compartment on the back of the gauntlet’s hand. She locked it into place, and the machine began to emit a low hum. It subsided after a moment, and the parts on it briefly glowed.

“Magic power source has been installed,” she said. “Now, to begin my experiment, I will attempt to activate and manipulate a simple machine. In this case, I will be using this old cassette stereo,” she said, holding up an antiquated boombox with a tape cassette inserted into it. “I’ve designated this stereo as ‘Subject 1.’ I will now attempt to activate Subject 1. If I am successful, it should begin to play the tape, which is a recording of the album Moving Pictures, by Rush, donated by my papa who probably won’t mind since he has it on vinyl, CD, and even 8-track. Okay, so here we go…”

She held out her hand toward the stereo. At first, nothing happened, and she narrowed her eyes focusing her gaze on it. “Come on,” she whispered, her brow furrowing. “Come on…”

The overhead lights flickered, but she didn’t even notice as she stared intently at the stereo. Sweat formed on her brow.

Then, ever so slowly, the tape spindles began to move. The garbled sound of music was low at first, but it began to gain speed.

Gadget gasped. “I-it’s working!”

Soon the tape was up to normal speed and the synthetic sounds of “Tom Sawyer” filled the room.

Though his mind is not for rent
Don't put him down as arrogant
He reserves the quiet defense
Riding out the day's events...

“It worked!” she exclaimed. She began to laugh. “I did it! Oh, wait, let’s try it backwards!”

The song stopped momentarily before playing in reverse.

“Forward again! Double speed!”

The stereo complied, turning the song into a squeaky cacophony.

“Success!” she cried, raising a triumphant fist into the air.

The lights momentarily flared before going out completely, the power throughout the house failing.

“...Oops.”

“Gadget… honey did you knock out the power again?”

“Ah! Just a second, Mama!” Gadget shouted back in the darkness. “Jeez, where’s the fuse box… I just need to turn the lights back on—”

The lights went back on instantly. Gadget looked around, bewildered. “I… did I do that?”

She then looked down at the stereo and gasped. She held it up for the camera to show her discovery: it wasn’t plugged in. On closer inspection, there were no batteries in the back compartment either.

“I… I forgot to plug it in and yet it still worked?” she breathed, staring down at the stereo. “This… this is…”

She grinned broadly. A giggle escaped her lips as her eyes slowly shifted back to the camera.

“This is so cool!” she shouted. She seized the camera, her face so close to it that her breath began to fog up the lens. “This calls for more experiments! I’ll need to collect as much magic as possible for future developments like this. Until next time!”

She switched the camera off.

***

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were in the front seats of the car while Sunset and Turing Test sat in the back.

“Geez, Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash grumbled, “can’t this thing go any faster?”

“Yes,” Fluttershy said, “but I believe in obeying the speed limit.”

“Aw, come on, just a little faster?” Rainbow asked. “I hear that it saves on gas the faster you go!”

“Oh, I’m not worried about that,” Fluttershy said with a serene smile. “It’s a hybrid!”

“Is that so?” Turing asked. “What sort of cars were its parents?”

Sunset and Fluttershy burst out laughing while Rainbow smoldered.

“Er, maybe we should listen to the radio,” Sunset said.

“Oh, that’s a good idea!” Fluttershy said. “Here, Turing, this is my favorite radio station!”

A song began to play over the speakers:

Pink fluffy unicorns
dancing on rainbows!
Pink fluffy unicorns
dancing on rainbows!

Rainbow gawked. “Forget this,” she said, opening the car door once they arrived at an intersection. “I’m just gonna run there!”

Before any of them could protest, she used her geode power and sped off out of sight on foot.

Magic detected, Turing’s systems told her.

“Well, that was rude,” Fluttershy said indignantly. “But at least you two like my music!”

Sunset forced herself to grin. As a former unicorn myself, this song is just humiliating, but I’ll let it slide for Fluttershy.

It wasn’t so bad until Turing and Fluttershy both started singing along.

***

Gadget was making her way toward town, her magic detector in hand. As she stood at an intersection, a car pulled up on the street next to her.

The blue-haired girl inside was nodding her head as a rumbling, thunderous bass shook the trunk of her car.

Gadget made a face. Dubstep was a long way from her favorite type of music. If only she could reach in and change the station.

Then a thought occurred to her: if she’d had the gauntlet with her, she could change the girl’s radio station without her even knowing. Why, with enough power, she could control all the radio in the city—

She shook her head. Huh, that was weird. I wonder why I thought of that all of a sudden.

Just then, something shot by her like a rocket, visible only as a rainbow-colored streak as it blew past her, kicking up a gust of wind that flipped up her hair.

Though she was startled and confused, she noticed her magic detector momentarily flared to life before the signal died back down. But then it picked up another signal, this one approaching a bit more slowly. A little purple compact car pulled up to the intersection as well. She pointed her detector at it, adjusting her glasses.

The signal’s coming from there? Why would it be mobile?

The light changed and the car continued on its way.

“Ah, wait!” Gadget cried, sprinting through the crosswalk after it. There’s a lot of magic coming from there. I have to know what it is!

***

Once they met up with Rarity, Pinkie, and Applejack, Rainbow pondered what the point of going to a supermarket was, but Sunset said that it would become evident quickly.

They soon found that she was right. Though none of them actually needed anything from the store, Turing was absolutely enthralled.

“You mean to tell me,” she said after examining the whole of the produce section, “that all of these items can be gathered and purchased at once from the ‘clerks’ at the front of the store? And all of these items are fresh?”

“That’s one of the cool things about the human world, Turing,” Sunset said. “Thanks to farming methods and transportation and storage advancements, you can buy just about anything all year!”

“You mean to tell me,” Rarity said, “that Equestria doesn’t have supermarkets?”

“Allow me to clarify: larger stores like this do exist,” Turing said. “However, such stores offer nonperishable supplies almost exclusively. For instance, in Ponyville, where I spent my early life, all goods such as these were purchased from an open-air market, while farming supplies and items with a long shelf life - such as canned goods or fruit preserves - were often found at Barnyard Bargains. But this place, with its variety and temperature control, would be impossible in Equestria.”

“Huh,” Pinkie said. “I never thought of it that way. But wow, if she thinks this is something special, imagine if she ever saw a mall!”

Turing tilted her head to the side. “What is a ‘mall?’”

Rarity gasped, a sparkle in her eyes. “Well, that settles it, Sunset Shimmer! We simply must take Turing to the mall!”

Sunset rubbed the back of her neck. “I’m… not so sure that’s a good idea,” she said. “I mean, exposing her to such a public place? And I don’t want her to think that human society is just dominated by consumerism?”

“Well, it’s your call,” Rainbow Dash said while she was spinning a honeydew melon on her finger like a basketball. “But, honestly, it might be one of her last chances to see a mall anyway. You know, before internet shopping kills it for good.”

“You hold your tongue, Rainbow Dash!” Rarity hissed.

Sunset held up her hands in mock surrender. “All right, fine, we’ll go to the mall. It makes sense anyway, since we all talked about getting summer jobs over there anyway. I hear the sushi place is hiring, actually.”

“What is sushi?” Turing asked.

“One thing at a time, sugarcube,” Applejack chuckled.

***

Gadget was out of breath and starting to sweat as she made her way to the supermarket parking lot. She’d managed to follow the signal, almost losing it when it went out of range, but it seemed that she’d actually managed to catch up.

She stood up proudly, raising her chin as she stood before the supermarket entrance.

“All right, magic!” she said, pointing a finger at the supermarket (completely oblivious to the odd looks she was getting). “I’ve finally tracked you down! This time I’ll—”

The compact car drove right past her, the magic signal again flaring up and fading as it drove away.

“Ah! Not again!” she screamed. Luckily, this time she saw that a bus was pulling up to the bus stop across the street. She ran to it and boarded the bus as soon as it stopped.

“Follow that car!” she shouted to the driver.

The driver glared at her. “This is a public bus, miss,” he said. “I’ve got other stops to make for the folks on the bus. Now, you still want a ride, that’ll be $1.25.”

Gadget blinked. “Ah. R-right,” she said, blushing as she rummaged through her pockets for change.

***

The girls had made their way through the mall, each making stops in turn at stores they wanted to apply to for summer jobs.

Turing Test was still in disbelief at the size and spectacle of the place. This ‘mall’ was a massive building with internal climate controls, teeming with machines she’d never seen, each store playing its own music.

“You sure yer havin’ fun, Turing?” Applejack asked. “I mean, it’s just a shoppin’ mall. Nothin’ special.”

Turing shook her head. “You are incorrect in that assessment, at least from my perspective,” she said. “Similar to the supermarket, having so many items in one centralized indoor location would be unheard of in Equestria. The infrastructure required to make such a place a reality must truly be staggering. It seems such a triumph…”

She frowned.

“What’s wrong, Rinny?” Pinkie asked.

“Despite all this, Rainbow Dash indicated that internet shopping is ‘killing’ such locations?”

“Oh, puh-kk-fft!” Rarity scoffed, waving her hand dismissively. “Please, does this place look like it’s on the verge of extinction?”

“Yeah, not yet,” Rainbow said as she crossed her arms. “But that’s because almost all the stores sell food or clothes. You don’t buy a smoothie on the internet, like that place AJ applied to. And people like you, Rarity…”

Rarity narrowed her gaze.

“...like to try on clothes, and that’s cool!” Rainbow said, giving her a warm smile. “Which you also can’t do online.”

“Oh, well, yes, I suppose part of the fun of clothes shopping is in trying them all on,” Rarity admitted.

“My point is that there used to be an arcade next to the food court when I was eight years old, and now it’s a shop that sells scented candles!”

“Well, I like scented candles,” Fluttershy said.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Anyone remember the music shop? They shut down a looong time ago.”

“I don’t remember it, that’s for sure,” Sunset said. “So it was before I ever came to this world.”

“Exactly! This place is doing pretty well, but remember the other mall on the other side of town? They closed for good last year!”

“Well, if that’s how ya feel,” Applejack said, “then why’d ya bother applyin’ for a summer job here?”

“Because the sporting goods store is still kinda cool and because having a job close to my friends sounded a lot better than mowing lawns or something lame like that. Just the same, I’d rather find something I want online and order it instead of bothering to go out and find it.”

Sunset smiled. “Well, I can’t argue with that logic,” Sunset said. “Still, it’s kind of weird to hear this coming from you, Dash.”

“Oh. W-well, I’m kinda thinking of studying business in college,” she said. “I figure I could start my own business or something. Y’know… in case the whole sports-star-or-stuntwoman thing doesn’t work out.”

Turing Test affected a thinking pose. “You bring up some interesting points, Rainbow Dash,” she said. “According to what you say, a place like this is already becoming somewhat obsolete. It is so strange to think of something so grandiose and innovative as this ‘mall’ as being outdated. I must consider this.”

“Well, it sounds like you’re getting lots of data,” Sunset said as the group continued on their way. “That’s good at least.”

“Yes. Even so, I wish that Twilight Sparkle were not indisposed during my visit,” she said. “I have many questions about how this world’s technology works, and doing my own research will take a considerable amount of time, even with the internet. If I had assistance, I could accelerate my studies.”

“What’s wrong with Sunset teaching you, Rinny?” Pinkie asked. “She’s super smart!”

“That’s nice of you to say, Pinkie,” Sunset said with a warm smile, “and I’m doing my best to help, but I’m no Twilight when it comes to technology. Guess you’re stuck with me, Turing.”

Turing shook her head. “Do not worry, Sunset Shimmer. The amount of help you and everyone else has provided has been substantial.”

“Well, then,” Rarity said, “now that we’re done slandering one of my favorite hangouts, could we stop by Hemline’s so that I may apply? If they’re hiring for the summer, that is.”

“Long as you’re not plannin’ to try on too many clothes while yer at it,” Applejack added.

Rarity chuckled. “Oh Applejack, darling, please!” she scoffed. “Trying on ‘too many clothes?’ There’s no such thing!”

They were about to move in that direction when Turing spotted something.

Sunset saw that Turing was dawdling and walked over to her.

“What is it, Turing?” Sunset asked.

Turing pointed at the store a short distance away. It was a game shop.

“Oh, yeah!” Sunset said. “I forgot about that place! Actually, I might want to apply there too. I’ve kinda been getting into games lately.”

“It does not appear to be an arcade, however, Sunset Shimmer,” Turing said.

“Oh, no, you see, humans can play video games at home,” she said. “They don’t run on magic or need large cabinets like they do in Equestria.”

“I see,” Turing said. “Then they must operate similarly to the computers that—”

“A-hem,” Rarity said, prompting them both to look her way. She stood tapping her foot as the others stood nearby. “Are you both coming? I’m certain with a little looking, we could find you something to wear as well, Turing Test.”

“But I am already wearing clothing,” Turing said.

“Well, yes, but it’s just one outfit,” Rarity said.

“That is true. It seems adequate for my needs, however, and you personally commented that you liked it. Have you amended that opinion?”

“No, not at all! I just… well, never mind. I suppose if that’s all you care to wear for now, then it’ll do.”

Turing nodded. “Also, a thought has occurred to me: perhaps the portal between our worlds would provide me with a different set of clothing if I went through a second time. If I left my current clothes here and went through, it seems likely that it would, at least, recreate the same clothing.”

“Now this is a scientific theory I’d love to research!” Rarity exclaimed.

“Yeah, that’d be great!” Pinkie shouted. “Except when you had to go back through the mirror. Then you’d be totally naked, Rarity!”

Rarity made a face and crossed her arms in front of herself. “Ick,” she said. “Never mind. It just lost its appeal.”

“Uh, anyway, Rarity,” Sunset said, interrupting their exchange, “I was going to show Turing Test the game shop. Can we meet up with you all somewhere else?”

“I don’t see why not,” Rarity said. “Let’s meet back at the fountain at the center of the mall once we’ve finished.”

They all agreed and went their separate ways.

***

Gadget made her way into the mall, magic detector still in hand. The signal she’d detected was weak, but getting stronger. She hadn’t even been sure if she was going the right way until she spotted the little compact car in the parking lot. Now, at least, she was certain that she was in the right place.

She walked by a clothing store and froze. She recognized some of the girls inside. They were from her old school.

“She brought an action figure to school. It’s like, you know… get some real friends!”

She swallowed and moved to the other side of the area.

“Did you hear what she said? She… oh, hang on, here she comes.”

Her heart was starting to race. She felt hot all of a sudden.

“Why would I take your glasses? I mean, you could just buy new ones. Maybe nice ones this time.”

She took a deep breath.

“Is it normal to be that short? I’m just saying, you eat so much, it can’t be malnutrition. Did your mom do something when she was pregnant with you?”

She picked up her pace and risked a glance over her shoulder. They hadn’t seen her. She slowly let out the breath she had been holding.

“I’m okay,” she whispered to herself. “I’m okay…”

Her detector pinged, and she turned her attention back to the task at hand. It wasn’t far now.

She was closing in.

***

“Turing?” Sunset Shimmer called as she held the application form.

“I am here, Sunset Shimmer!” Turing Test called as she reached her hand up and waved to Sunset from over a display rack filled with games.

Sunset went to her and saw her marvelling at the handheld game system on display.

“Look at this machine, Sunset Shimmer! This is almost as small as your phone! It is so cute!”

“Cute?” Sunset repeated, chuckling at her use of the word. “Well, feel free to try it out if you want. I’m going to fill this out really quick, okay?”

Turing nodded. “Understood. I will attempt to learn this game by the time you return.”

Sunset nodded and went back to the front counter to begin filling out the application. Turing, meanwhile, turned her attention back to the game before her.

Though she had played Equestrian arcade games with Button Mash before, this game was significantly more complex. Still, she was able to determine what to do and react quickly while she played. All around her, the sounds of advertisements for new games mixed in with music from the overhead speakers intermingled with the sound of chatter and the various sounds of display games being played.

But she soon heard another sound. It was a strange clicking, and at first she thought it was a sound effect from one of the games being played, but then she heard it moving. She looked up and saw that a human girl was walking toward her. She had her head down and thus Turing could not see her face.

The sound was coming from the device the girl held in her hands, and it was getting louder and louder as she approached. She apparently wasn’t watching where she was going because she finally bumped into Turing Test, nearly dropping the device.

“Ah, s-sorry,” she muttered, sidestepping her as she walked around her.

Turing’s auditory systems noted that the voice seemed familiar, so she continued watching the girl who paused when the signal from her device got quieter. The girl turned around and began walking toward Turing Test.

“It should be right…” She trailed off as she looked up and met Turing Test’s gaze. “...here.”

Turing’s eyes went wide. “Gadget?”

Gadget took a step back. “H-how do you know my name? Who are you? And why are you dressed…”

Turing smiled. “Please do not be alarmed,” she said. “I know your name because we have met before.”

Gadget frowned. “I don’t believe that,” she said. “I’d remember someone who looked like you. Unless you weren’t wearing that costume, at the time. That’s…”

She furrowed her brow, peering at Turing more closely.

“Ah. Please do not stare at me so closely. I have been told that it is rude to do so.”

Gadget ignored her and suddenly grabbed Turing by the wrist, examining her fingers carefully.

“I am glad that you enjoy my cosplay, but I must ask you to release me now, please.”

“The craftsmanship on these fingers,” she mumbled. She tapped on Turing’s arm. “This is real metal. With rubber on every joint!”

Turing stepped back. “Sunset Shimmer, could you please come here?” she asked. “I believe that I need your assistance.”

Sunset came around the corner to see Gadget holding Turing Test’s face with both hands, poking the robot girl’s cheeks with her thumbs and observing the faint glow from her LED eyes.

“Turing?” Sunset asked as she came to her side. “What’s going on? Who is she?”

“This girl is—”

As Turing was speaking, Gadget poked her fingers into Turing’s mouth, surprising both Turing and Sunset. Gadget, meanwhile, seemed totally oblivious to Sunset’s presence and she rubbed her fingers together.

“No saliva,” she said. “You’re not even warm.”

She raised her head, her mouth dropping open as she gave Turing a starry-eyed look.

“This isn’t a costume at all. You’re real,” she breathed. “You’re real! You’re a real, live robot girl!”

Sunset Shimmer and Turing exchanged a fearful look.

“Ah, that is…”

She saw that Gadget was still staring at her with eager, hopeful eyes.

Turing shrugged her shoulders. “You are correct. I am, in fact, a robot.”

“Turing!” Sunset hissed through her teeth. “You can’t just—”

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! This is incredible!” Gadget exclaimed as she suddenly seized Turing’s hands with her own. “Please please please, Robot-san, let me study you!”

Silence fell over the store. Sunset gawked at her. Customers moved away from the spectacle. The clerk at the front desk went back to looking at his cell phone.

Turing merely blinked and said “I beg your pardon?”

To be continued...

Author's Note:

Science marches on!

She blinded me with References!

  • The title of the chapter references the famous song by the Buggles. Of note, the music video for the song was the first one played on MTV back in 1981. It references technology that was once fascinating and cutting edge becoming obsolete and getting replaced. (Ironically, MTV no longer does music videos, while radio is still around in both traditional and new forms.) Here's a live version of the song, which, I'll mention, is one of my personal favorites.

  • Rather than an indirect allusion, each of the movies the girls watch is a real movie that had at least partial influence on The Iron Horse. They aren't the only ones, but they were among my favorites. Each one was chosen to somewhat reflect the chooser's personality (at least loosely), with the notable one being...
  • Fluttershy choosing the anime film, Ghost in the Shell. The reason for her choice is an oblique reference to her homemade cutout figures in the episode "The Scaremaster," each of which is a ponified version of an old-school anime character. (In case you've forgotten.)
  • Rule 34 is a rule originating in the infamous website 4-chan, and it states, "If it exists, there is porn of it. No exceptions."
  • Turing Test replying to Rainbow Dash calling her "Number 5" by saying her designated number is 003 is, of course, in reference to her number given to her in the original story before she had a name. That numbering system itself was a reference to the numbering system in the anime Cyborg 009.
  • Gadget uses the word "Mon Dieu" which is French for "My God." This is because Gadget's last name is Giroux, referencing that she and her family are French Canadian. (In Equestria, Pony!Gadget is from Vanhoover, which is basically pony Canada.) As a side note, this is part of the reason why her father has a tape cassette of the album Moving Pictures, by Rush, a Canadian prog-rock group.
  • Gadget thinks "Today is a fine day for science!" This is a reference to a common line spoken by Dexter, title character of the animated TV show Dexter's Laboratory.
  • The song "Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing on Rainbows" is based on the famous (infamous?) video by pony community member Fluffymixer (original song by Andrew Huang). I won't link it here, but you probably know the one I mean.
  • Yes, the girl Gadget sees in the car is, in fact, Vinyl Scratch.
  • The places the girls are working at references the jobs they had in the Summer shorts in 2017 (ex. Sunset working at a sushi place, AJ at the smoothie shop, etc.)
  • Rarity saying "Oh, puh-kk-ftt!" is... honestly the best I can do to reproduce that sound. If you didn't click the link when you saw it, well...

  • And finally, the image of Gadget and Turing near the end of the chapter is meant as a slight homage to the first picture of them together in that joke chapter in the original story, though without quite so heavy shipping implications... at least that's what we were going for.

Okay, that'll do for now. See you next time, folks!