• Published 31st Mar 2018
  • 720 Views, 11 Comments

Darkness Rising - Bronyprophet



In the cold icy lands of the Crystal Empire, Roams a black unicorn, weakened from an epic battle, a blizzard rolls in and he finds refuge in the caverns of the Empire, and there he waits for his time to come, a time of revenge.

  • ...
3
 11
 720

Chapter 8 Darkness Falls

Thorax awoke in his room once more, he saw his carapace darkening, he didn't understand why this was happening, but he had to guess that it was due to his run-in with a shade. He looked over to Starlight Glimmer, and noticed that she was sleeping still, he tried to gently wake her up with a kiss, as he would normally. However as he kissed her, he noticed something odd. She was feeling cold, and at a closer inspection, he noticed a small black shadowy sigil marking her forehead, that had eerie dark smoke filtering off of it.

Thorax became concerned for Starlights' well being. He ran through the halls, towards Twilights' chambers. He burst through the door, causing Twilight to stir awake suddenly.

"Twilight Starlight Problem help," Thorax incoherently shouted with a tone of urgency, and worry.

"Thorax, what's wrong? is Equestria under attack?!" Twilight stated as she hastily leaped out of her bed, following Thorax as he led the way.

Once the two made it to Starlight, Twilight became extremely frightful when she noticed that Starlight had been levitating, her eyes had gone cold and black, as black wisp-like magic hung to her like dark tendrils.

"Starlight?" Twilight stated in confusion.

"We are not this one, we have no name, we are everywhere, and yet nowhere; we are never sated, we lye where darkness creeps and light weeps. It has been many moons since we feasted; it makes us salivate when we thinks of devouring this world." Starlight purred in a strange voice, that sounded dark, distorted, and evil.

"Release Starlight, whatever you are." Twilight stated, igniting her horn.

"hm we thinks this is not a good idea, you care for this one, and you wouldn't want to hurt this one." The strange Starlight Chuckled.

Twilight had to come up with a solution, but she couldn't think of one. She couldn't attack Starlight without hurting her, and she couldn't enter her mind, she wasn't Luna or Celestia. She had to do something, but what could she do. Twilights horn dimmed and she turned to Thorax.

"Find Starswirl, he can help, he'll know what magic is at work," Twilight Stated to Thorax with concern.

"Where is he?" Thorax stated as he was rushing outside the door.

"I believe he is exploring the crystal Empire, find him quickly!" Twilight shouted with growing urgency.

"We believe this one will be devoured before you can find that one!" The Strange Starlight stated venomously.

Thorax began his travel towards the Crystal Empire, in the hopes of finding Starswirl. After a few hours of travel he made it to the Crystal Empire, but everything looked quite different now. The ice had turned black, and sickly green lightning shot over the sky where the empire was. Thorax couldn't help but feel the growing darkness in this land.

As he got closer to the Crystal Empire, he noticed that the Crystal Castle had transformed into black crystal, and he also noticed a strange red and black banner hanging above the castle gates.

"What is going on here?" Thorax thought to himself.

"Some creature has strayed far from home, haven't they." A deep and dark voice boomed from behind Thorax.

Thorax whipped around and released a bolt of blue lightning, but it just passed straight through the smoke silhouette. He looked at the figure of smoke and he recognized the pony, it had been Sombra.

"Now that is no way to greet someone," Sombra stated, as he engulfed Thorax in a red magic, before turning into his true form and looking directly at Thorax. "You must be Thorax... I have heard so much about you. What brings you here bug?" Sombra stated casually.

"Sombra? you should be dead!" Thorax replied, filled with a form of hatred.

"You dare speak to your king in such a way! I'll teach you something about respect!" Sombra replied venomously, before electrocuting Thorax. "You are nothing but a nuisance." Sombra continued before slamming him into the black ice.

"You are... not... a king!" Thorax spat.

Sombra became enraged at the insult, and ignited his horn, but dimmed it once again, realizing that Thorax had been provoking him.

"Very Clever. but your strategy is woefully inept." Sombra stated. "Now, answer the question. Why are you here?!"

Thorax remained silent, he didn't want Sombra to know about Starlight by any means. So Sombra couldn't use her against him, however little did Thorax know that Sombra had already known about Starlight, and was using her to lead Thorax into a trap.

"Hmm, so that's how you're going to be... well then I can loosen your tongue." Sombras Horn ignited and surrounded Thorax in a red aura.

Thorax couldn't help himself, he felt compelled to tell Sombra his answer, whatever Sombra had just done to him, it made him feel like if he didn't answer, he would go insane.

"I'm in search of Starswirl, I need him to save Starlight Glimmer. I love her, and need her to be alright." Thorax replied as he writhed in pain, it was like something had been prying the answers away from his mind.

"Good... it's about time you cooperated. However, unfortunately, Starswirl is otherwise engaged at the moment ha, ha." Sombra summoned a magical window, that showed Starswirl trapped in a dungeon somewhere. "Just how far will you go to save Starlight, Thorax..." Sombra purred.

Sombras magic had still been at work, and once again Thorax was compelled to answer. "I would do anything for her."
Thorax replied finally giving up against this oppressing power. He hadn't known how Sombra had managed to get so powerful after being destroyed.

"Good, such a pity your loyalty was not given to your queen, but how about I offer you a deal, in exchange for your dear Starlight I'll remove the demon if... you will become my slave, accepting my dark influence. If you don't do this she will die..." Sombra stated cunningly.

"Only if you promise me, that you will not hurt her." Thorax replied, realizing that he didnt care what happened to him, as long as Starlight was safe. He would find some way to escape Sombras' Grasp.

"Yes, of Course, I won't harm her." Sombra chuckled inwardly, however, Thorax could tell there was something off, but what other choice did he have.

Thorax accepted Sombras' deal with gritted teeth, he shook Sombras hoof and as he did, he felt all of the love and hope disappear out of him, and was soon replaced by pure darkness, and despair.

"One foe falls, another to go, and Starlight will fall." Sombra smiled, as he saw the light draining from Thoraxs' eyes.

"Wait, gah... no this... this is not what we agreed too... you lied..." Thorax pleaded through clutched teeth.

"Lied... I haven't lied, I said I wouldn't hurt her, that didn't mean you wouldn't," Sombra replied. "Do not worry, I will keep my word, the demon possessing Starlight will be removed, that was only my bait for you, so you would come to us, and you played your part well. Oh no we have another plan for dear Starlight." Sombra laughed maniacally.

"No... I'll kill you... ah... for this..." Thorax cried as he lost all of his desire to do good. His carapace soon changed to charcoal, his vibrant colors became darker, his eyes changed to red, wisps formed from the corner of his eyes, magical black steel armor formed around his torso, and his wings changed from translucent bug-like wings to leathery black dragon wings.

"Thats what they all Say." Sombra grinned satisfied.

After the transformation he fell to the ground, Thorax then Rose to Sombras' eye level.

"How do you feel?" Sombra inquired.

"I feel... free my lord... Like I have to destroy something... no, someone I love... no, loathe, someone I hate... yes someone I want dead! I must Kill Starlight Glimmer!" Thorax darkly stated.

"Good Thorax... hm, Thorax isn't a good fit for you anymore, you need a new name... Yes, I believe you shall be called Shadowrax from now on, as my newest commander." Sombra chuckled zealously, as he committed his new puppet to his legion. The plan Chrysalis and Sombra formulated had been coming together nicely.

Sombra, although evil, was a pony of his word, he purged the demon from Starlight entirely, but that wasn't for Thoraxs benefit alone, there was more to the story yet to be revealed. Sombra and Chrysalis had a plan for Starlight, something beyond Thoraxs wildest imaginings, a darker scheme was at work.