• Published 30th Mar 2018
  • 183 Views, 12 Comments

Maelstrom - QQwrites



Intrepid tramp Quick Quill lands a cushy job with the Equestrian Weather Service, and has the salary to prove it. But, Quill's life isn't all cider and sunshine: a storm is brewing and at its core, a maelstrom.

  • ...
 12
 183

Thirteen

“It is my sincere pleasure to thank the brave members of the Equestrian Weather Service for their swift and expert action which saved our fabulous city from certain disaster!” There were cheers and applause throughout the crowd. The press were writing down every word High Roller said. Maelstrom stood beside him. I watched the pageant unfold on the temporary stage outside High Roller’s casino. I was wearing a placid face and new hat: tan with a wide brim, much in the style of the West Coast.

“Certainly, without their diligence and devotion, our city would be no more. It is my great privilege to present Director Maelstrom with the Key to Las Pegasus, along with my sincere and humble gratitude.” They shook hooves. He said something in her ear which made her laugh—or appear to laugh at any rate. He handed her a large golden key, attached to a dark plaque. The key was adorned with rhinestones and shined brightly in the noon day sun.

Maelstrom gave a brief speech where she thanked High Roller for his generous contribution, then recognized the DRP for their efforts. I was starting to tune it out when she said: “And finally I want to thank my assistant, Quick Quill, whose loyalty and commitment made this possible.” More applause. Somepony must have pointed me out because the press started taking pictures. I tried to look congenial, but later saw it came out constipated.

We took a train out the following day. Maelstrom made the arrangements: I had a cabin to myself. I stayed in there for most of the trip. I didn’t want to see anyone. One evening I was struggling with the Applewood Time’s crossword. I decided to head down to the lounge car for a drink to see if it’d help. My expectations were low but my thirst was high.

I spied a group of DRP members at a table. They waved at me as I sat at the bar. I waved back. We’re all friends here.

Raine broke away from the group and sat next to me. She looked young and happy. I wondered if I was ever that young. Maybe I was born an old stallion; I certainly felt it. Between my aching back and bruised cheekbone, I was feeling pretty feeble.

“How are you doing, Quill?” she asked me kindly. “Everything happened so fast with—” she lowered her voice, “—with Mal.” I guess the nickname was going to stick.

I ordered a blackberry cider: it was one of those occasions. “I’m pretty shook up; thinking about leaving the EWS when we get back.”

She nodded sagely. We drank in silence for a time. It was comfortable.

“This is all I know. It’s all I want to know,” she said after a time. She wasn’t talking about drinking.

“Then do it, but do it your way. Celestia help us, but if you become Director one day, you don’t have to run things like that.”

She smiled. “Maybe you should stay. Keep Mal in check.”

“I didn’t sign up for that.”

“Why did you, then?”

“I needed a job.”

“That’s it?”

I laughed, “Yeah.”

“You still have one. Why go?”

I took a drink. “I hate it when then bad guys win.”

She gave me a puzzled look: “I thought we won?”

With a derisive smile, I slid from the bar stool and said, “We sure did.”

It was late and I was feeling good. The cider had helped me relax and the company was good, too. I traipsed carefully down the sleeper car, intent on going to bed. To get there, I’d have to pass Mal’s cabin, whose lights were on and door was open.

I stopped at the edge of the light, listening carefully. There was little reason for the door to be open: Maelstrom didn’t welcome visitors. I figured she was fishing for company. It’s not your job, I told myself.

I walked past her door to my cabin.

I stopped at the door and looked back at Maelstrom’s.

It was lose-lose again. Leave with no job or stay with Mal. Which was right? Was there right? High Roller was a jerk who got more than he bargained for and maybe more than he deserved. Maelstrom was ruthless, but used that power for what she thought was good.

What was I? A day planner? A saddlebag? A tissue dispenser? A letter carrier? A secret-keeper? A colleague? A friend?

At the end of the day, I knew who I was:

Quick Quill, Assistant to Director Maelstrom, Equestrian Weather Service. That’s who.

I walked through her door and shut it behind me.

End

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading!

Quick Quill will return in Lightning Bug, 2018-07-05

Comments ( 1 )

Thanks for the story. I really enjoyed the ride.

I'm eager to read the next story...in the meantime, I wish you a nice day.

Cheers

Login or register to comment