• Published 8th Apr 2018
  • 528 Views, 6 Comments

Chocolate Cake and Cruel Heartache - WannaFlugelHorn



Aria visits Sugar Cube Corner, and her situation concerns Pinkie Pie.

  • ...
 6
 528

Welcome To Sugar Cube Corner

Pinkie Pie sighed in satisfaction as she looked down at the freshly wiped table in front of her. The cool metal surface reflected her own smiling face back at her, as well as the hand that was brushing a stray curl back into place. A small rag was still clutched between her delicate fingers. Her other hand held a yellow bucket with a small layer of water inside, an unknown black smear stained across its front. Pinkie took a deep breath, and the smell of alcohol as well as a metallic sting flooded her senses. She had learned to love the strong smell, a reminder of all the hard work she put into her job, and a feeling of pride always came along with it. It was 7:53, seven minutes before Sugar Cube Corner's closing, and, at this point, all costumers had left. Pinkie Pie was almost done closing up shop.

Pinkie Pie's large blue boots tapped quietly against the black and white checkerboard floor. A small bow separated the magenta skirt of her dress, littered with dark spots from flecks of water, and it's white top, a large cartoon heart printed in the center. Her pale sapphire jacket lay on the counter, ready to be picked up once her work was done. Pinkie hummed a tune to herself as she walked over to the only remaining unclean table.

"Hmm-hm everyone now, smile, smile, smile. Hmm hm-hm hmm hm sunshine sunshine . . ."

Just as she was about to spray the table with cleaning fluid, the sound of a small bell filled the sweet shop. It was indeed surprising for a customer to come by so close to closing time unless they were picking something up, because otherwise they'd be forced to eat rather quickly. But Pinkie couldn't remember any orders that hadn't been given out. There was, however, a possibility she could be wrong, though. In either scenario, she'd have to go over to the cash register. She was able to zip to the counter just as the door closed.

"Welcome to Sugar Cube Corner, where every thing is warm, sweet, and yummy . . . and ready for your tummy!" Pinkie Pie had made the slogan herself, inspired by the one Rarity had come up with (Welcome to Carousel Boutique where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique), though she couldn't get all of the words to rhyme. "Can I help you?"

The customer pulled her hood from her head and looked up. She made eye contact with Pinkie . . . and they both screamed immediately. Each sound was high and squeaky, and they matched up perfectly, as if rehearsed, but they both reacted in quite different ways.

Pinkie ducked behind the counter, upset by the fact that beneath its marble top and the floor was a glass display case, which didn't exactly hide her. She shifted to the right, still crouching down, hoping to block her face with a large vanilla cake, her fingers turning white from gripping the counter so hard. On the other hand, the customer, if buying something was even her intention, Pinkie was now expecting something more sinister, quickly turned to the door. She began to run towards her exit, only to bump her knee on a chair and her middle on a table. Her teeth gritted in pain as she tumbled to the floor. Tears pricked her eyes, most likely because she was scared, not from the pain.

"Are you okay?" Pinkie was just as shocked as the customer when the words came out of her mouth. They both looked a each other for a moment, the customer rubbing her knee.

"Y-yah. I'm fine." But her eyes told Pinkie that she was also terrified, even if her face was rather serious. Seeing this, Pinkie gained the courage to stand up. The customer looked alarmed at this, and quickly stumbled to her feet as well, clutching onto a table for support and easing herself into a chair. Pinkie hoped her fear would fade soon.

"You're Adagio, right?"

"A-actually, I'm Sonata. Adagio has the orange puffy hair. Kinda like yours. And Aria is the pinkish one with the aqua streak in her hair. Kinda sarcastic. I don't know. Your Pinkie Pie?"

"Yes indeedy!" Pinkie said, nodding vigorously.

"So, um, your not gonna blast me with your friendship voodoo, are you?" She asked, refusing to make proper eye contact besides a few nervous glances.

"As long as you and your group don't try and attack me or something," Pinkie chuckled, trying to ease the mood. But Sonata was still on edge. "Where are they anyway?"

"They . . . listen, I just came here to ask you-"

"Is everything okay?" Pinkie interrupted studying Sonata's face. "You look kind of upset. Really, you can tell me! And . . . I won't tell the others if you don't want me to. I Pinkie Promise. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" Exclaimed pinkie, grasping a cupcake from the display case an mushing it against her face.

Sonata's looked surprised, but continued speaking.

"Pinkie, please . . . I just wanted to know if you'd burnt or crumbled anything that I could get for cheap."

Pinkie Pie looked confused before observing Sonata over more closely, after cleaning frosting from her cheek with a towel. Her light and royal blue hair was knotted and out of place, her face pale and exhausted. Her arms and legs had lost some of their width, and Pinkie could hear Sonata's stomach grumble. Her hands played with what few coins she had in the pocket of her worn and stained hoodie. Sonata was, for whatever reason, alone, with barely any money, and she was hungry. Very hungry.

Pinkie bit her lip in concern, but it was clear Sonata didn't want to talk.

"I think I can find you something . . ." said Pinkie before glancing at the overhead clock. Three minutes until closing time. "But you have to come back tomorrow. Deal?"

Sonata's eyes grew wide at the promise of food.

"Deal . . ."