• Published 5th Apr 2018
  • 581 Views, 3 Comments

C-gHoSt - andrizzi



The bittersweet story of a boy trying to put together the shreds of a fractured life

  • ...
 3
 581

Chapter 1 - skin sensations

Canterlot was a stunning city. Despite the puddles of gray water that were staining my trousers, I could recognize its beauty even from the suburbs or the poorest alleys. It has a solid first-world economy, it’s completely self-sustained, and it’s full of good people…

“I’LL TEAR YOUR LIMBS APART FROM THE BODY!”

…but not full of good people alone, and the two people I was running away from were not. At least, they had no intention of being good to me. In their defense, I had just stolen an entire bag of precious jewels from them.

In my defense, they had already stolen all those jewels before.

“WE’LL SEE HOW WELL YOU’RE GONNA *uff* RUN *uff* WITHOUT YOUR LEGS *uff* THIEF!”

To be clear, I’m not a thief. I admit I had every intent to sell those jewels for my own gain, but I had the same right as everybody else. All the jewelry business is a rip off for rich people: you find a useless rock on the ground, claim it your own, you overprice it and sell it for no use.

But that wasn’t the time to argue that, so I pushed further and ran between that forsaken alleys. I could barely see in front of me because of the gray hood of my sweatshirt. Speaking of sweat, I was soaking in it and that didn’t help to keep my eyes open. I slammed into a wall as I turned over a corner, scratching my hands and left shoulder against the cond.

I didn’t mind, I just took a big breath and resumed running as their wet steps echoed behind me. I threw myself forward, dodging garbage cans and dumpsters all the way as my heart threatened to explode. But I had to endure, and what I saw ahead of me encouraged me for the last push.

The main road was only fifty yards away, a wire fence halfway. I was at my limit. Two punks were chasing me. I had their bag of jewels under my right arm.

I sprinted to gain distance, my muscles and lungs burning in pain, then I slowed down and grabbed the bag with both hands before throwing it over the fence. I didn't even wait for it to end its parabola that I jumped, climbed up, and pulled myself over.

I was clumsy, ripped my trousers when I moved my legs over the fence one at the time, but I landed next to the bag with a loud thud and quickly glanced behind to see Rover and Fido far behind.

Smelling victory ahead, I picked up the bag and smirked at them as I resumed running. “Bye-bye, suckers.”

That was when I was punched in the guts.

Now, I still haven’t introduced Spot but he’s chip and dale with the other two punks. Actually, if Rover and Fido are chip and dale then Spot is the big munchkin. Can’t recall the name now, but the point is he’s big. And he punches hard.

I was hit right under my rib cage, the air in my lungs was squeezed out. I was pushed on the ground by him before I could do anything, let alone yell in pain with no air in my lungs.

I peered up at him from my squeezed eyes, asking myself where the heck he had come from. He was chasing me too at first but I thought he was left behind. He must’ve taken a shortcut and jumped out of a crossway. Indeed, I realized a was laying in a four-way crossway.

Damn, his dumb face was the embodiment of satisfaction.

I heard the other two climbing over the fence and landing on the ground. From the ground, I slowly turned on my elbows in order and raised my head to see them. Rover stared down at me with total superiority.

“Well, well… I wasn’t sure, but I thought it was you,” he said.

I tried to smile, to be casual. “Hi, Rover. Sorry I didn’t stop to say hi but you know–” I shrugged my shoulders “–tried to be stealthy.”

“And you failed. Bad.”

I pulled the bag up from the ground and offered it to him. “Yeah, you won. Why don’t we all play this with sport?”

He grabbed the bag by its strap and weighted it with one hand. “Sport, uh? Why not…”

Suddenly, he threw the bag over his head and backward, then spun it right into my face.

I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to rotate something by a strap or a chain, but trust me when I say it adds more weight than you can guess. And since the bag was full of jewels and gems, it felt like a mace of gold hitting me on a swing. Not that I actually know how bad that is, but it hurt. A lot.

“Let’s play baseball,” he said. “You catch.”

I went numb and fell on my back, but I didn’t pass out. That was unfortunate, I could have skipped the beating that followed. I could only crouch and cover my head with my arms as kicks and punches rained over my body. Maybe it wasn’t very protagonist-like, but I clenched my teeth and hoped they wouldn’t go too far as I endured the pain.

I’m not a coward, but there’s just not much you can do when it’s three on one.

I blocked a kick aimed at my skull, another foot found his way to my kidney, and all I could do was hold back my tears. I wanted to yell that it wasn’t fair, because I knew I could stand up for a one on one. But opening my mouth meant to lose a tooth or two.

I hated them. I hated them because they could do whatever they wanted and I couldn’t even complain. I was angry because I shouldn’t have been caught. I didn’t even need money in the first place, I just…

I didn’t know.

I didn’t know what I was feeling when I saw them in that jewelry. I just knew it wasn’t fair. Or at least I thought so, the simple truth is I didn’t like it. I think I’m more self-conscious now.

But let’s go back to the physical pain. That’s far simpler.

I got so many blows I feared I wasn’t gonna stand up ever again but then I heard a whistle, followed by a shout. “HEY YOU, STOP!”

Immediately, those three cowards stopped beating me and turned towards the last arrived. From between their legs, I was barely able to see a police officer running in our direction but my sight was blurred so I could only recognize his uniform. Before he could get close, my assaulters took off and ran in the opposite direction. Glancing back, I saw Rover holding the bag in a tight embrace.

The officer stopped only to give me a quick look, then decided to chase after them. Seriously, shouldn’t he have stopped to help me? I mean, it was way more convenient for me to just slip away but he was still doing his job badly. Also, what took everybody so long to come and help me.

But as I said, I figured it was way better for me to go away unnoticed so I didn’t move until I was sure nobody could see me. It was very easy, my own body didn’t want to move. It was way harder to stand up later.

Biting on my own blood –there wasn’t much but there was some in my mouth– I slowly pulled my arms under me. Raising my body, it felt like hundreds of daggers were cutting through my muscles. My knees went between the cement and me, the hard surface scratching against my body. It was a very small discomfort compared to everything else. Ignoring the pain, I shifted all my weight on my feet and stood up.

I tried to do it in one smooth move, out the teeth out the pain, but I think I only made things worse. All my body protested with a blinding pain and I lost balance almost instantly. I did a few steps on the right and ended up stumbling on a garbage can. Thankfully, I didn’t fall but my gaze went down and I noticed something on the ground.

On the side of the alley, just a couple feet from where I tossed the bag, was the most elegant wallet I’ve ever seen. I know that saying it like that makes me look like a greedy thief, but it was just stunningly beautiful. It was white, with purple embroidery all over the short side, and it even had three little diamonds on the front. Really, it looked like a high fashion wallet for women.

I could have stayed there to look at it all day, but I didn’t want to get caught by the cop or, even worse, Rover and his pals.

And I couldn’t just let it there. It was too nice to gather dust in a dirty alley…


I felt another burst of pain from my stomach as I walked behind the sushi restaurant. Although, 'walked’ was a strong word considering my state. I had been hurt too much to continue, and I needed somewhere to rest.

I found the first spot I could sit on, a stair next to a can, and I let myself fall ungracefully. I flinched again, but I managed to get kinda comfortable.

From my right, the late lights of the day hit the street, shimmering the cement to the point it hurt my eyes. Looking up, I saw strays of red and gold in the sky as the sun set down, painting the cloud with warm colors. I was thinking I was glad there were few people going around at that hour. Despite the hood covering my bruise-filled face, it was easy to say what I had just gone through.

That was one reason I didn’t want to be around. I was afraid I could gather too much attention. At some point when I was walking, I even began to think somebody was following me. But every time I looked back there was nobody to follow me.

I shook my head, trying not to think about that. I was going to deal with those bastards another day. Instead, it would have been way more satisfying to check out my prize.

I reached into the left pocket of my gray sweatshirt and pulled out the white wallet. I didn’t know for sure why something so beautifully rare had been abandoned among trash, I just thought it probably came from the bag of jewels I tried to steal and then must have fallen out when I tossed it over the fence.

If that was the case, then something precious was inside of it.

Holding the wallet up in the light, I gave it one last attentive look. There was a golden lock, just behind the three diamonds in the middle.

I pressed the big diamond in the middle with my forefinger and the lock clicked open.

I turned the wallet so I could peer inside.

I found something. Four things, actually.

First, the most obvious, there was IDs and cards. They were all in little pockets of the wallet, so I didn’t really mind that.

Second, still common, there were photos. Unlike the IDs, they were out of the pockets and tied together in a deck with a green elastic. They were in the way so I pulled them out.

Third, common for ladies, a lot of makeup tools. I had to dig in with my fingers as I searched for anything valuable.

Fourth, just what I was hoping to find, a little sack. I could tell it was something interesting with one glance. Immediately, I snatched it and brought it up.

Leaving the wallet on my legs, I opened the sack and held my breath. Inside, there was exactly what I was hoping to find.

It was a little yellow gem. The right size to be held between fingers, or to be used as a pendant. I wasn’t really an expert but I immediately guessed it was a topaz, or maybe a yellow diamond. Whatever it was it was… hypnotic to watch. I wasn’t sure if it was due the last lights of the sun or if I was imagining it, but it was almost like it had its own light within.

Whatever, I was sure it had to be worth a lot so I put it back in the sack and then in my pocket.

That was when I decided to finally give the photos in my hand a look. There were seven young girls in the first photo, probably a group of students in their senior years. They were all smiles, and hugs, and laughs. They also were all wearing similar necklaces of different colors, like a ‘friendship pendant’ or something to show off what a close group they were.

I found it so annoying.

But at least I could see who probably was the owner of the wallet. She was everything I expected: elegant, beautiful, combed hair, a lot of makeup, and an everything-is-good-and-well smile. Alas, an utter snob.

I unraveled the elastic to see the other photos behind, looking at the same girls in all different places and different poses. Always happy and laughing. And they were so flashy and quirky, too.

I didn’t believe any of that.

I just tossed those photos away.

Because I was fed up.

Because I was still sore for the beating of three stupid punks. Because I was alone in that dirty corner, sitten between the trash of rotten sushi. Because I wasn’t used to doing that stuff, to go out with friends. Because…

…I’ll save it for later.

But I was angry and spiteful, and I just didn’t care. So I tossed these photos aside, on the ground, and I grabbed the wallet again.

And then she talked.

Jerk.

My head bobbed up (pain ran through my neck) and I was aghast for what I saw.

Aghast both in the good and bad way.

In a good way because she was gorgeous. In that dirty alley, her body literally shined under the last lights of the sun. So much that, the moment she showed up, it was almost like everything in that alley shined except me. Her skin was like gold, her leather jacket was black, her hair had both blonde and red strands that were almost long enough to reach her blue jeans. She had eyes like emerald, and she was giving me quite a reproachful look.

In a bad way because I was sure I was alone just a moment ago, because I didn’t hear a thing since I sit, and most of all because she looked exactly the same as one of the girls from the photos.

Well, almost the same. Really, pictures didn’t do her any justice.

All things considered, I was a little stunned. And confused. Very confused, actually. I had lots of questions. And I had to say something. So I tried to say, “Um… I…”

She didn’t soften her eyes, but her face grew puzzled during my goofy attempts. Out of nowhere, she spun her head all around and backwards as if she was searching for something.

Then she looked back at me.

Talking to me? she asked.

I almost flinched, but I couldn’t let her intimidate me. “Well, are you talking to me?” I sourly retorted. She was dressed like a punk and also wanted to play games?

And yet it didn’t seem like she was having fun at all. Actually, she looked shocked. How– she held up one open hand in front of me –how many fingers?

Did I look that bad? Was that the reason why she was acting strange? “Uh… five?”

Thinking back at it, the way her eyes grew a lot wider was quite funny. Too bad I wasn’t in the mood at the moment, I just wanted the get away without her accusing me of something I didn’t do.

“Is this yours?” I asked, bringing up the wallet. “Look, I didn't know. I just found it around so if somebody mugged you I–”

An angry scowl suddenly placed on her face. What? Don’t play coy with me, boy. I saw everything.

I thought that was a problem. What did she mean with ‘everything’?

I tried to dismiss her. “I don’t–”

I’ve been following you since the moment you took that wallet, she flatly stated.

Uh, so I was right about being followed.

“Well” –I tossed the wallet at her– “you can have it ba–”

That’s when things started to get crazy.

I tossed the wallet at her so that she could grab it, but she didn’t move at all. It should have hit her chest and then fall down next to her feet.

But it didn’t.

The wallet continued. His trajectory. Through her.

I shut with my mouth agape.

What I just saw wasn’t possible.

The wallet went through her. I saw it going through her and disappearing. And then it fell on the ground behind her.

The lights, the way she was shining… it wasn’t just my imagination. I realized I could actually see through her, if I focused enough.

As I sat there, trying to come up with any possible explanation, she rolled her eyes. Come on, it’s not that hard…

Her sassiness snapped me out of it, but I was still freaked out. Goosebumps, heavy breathing, sweat, I had the full pack of anxiety. It sounded ridiculous in my head, but there was only one thing I could think about that had a little sense. I tried to talk, but it was almost like my throat was made of chalk. I swallowed, and I tried again.

“Y-you’re a ghost?”

She didn’t answer right away. I couldn’t tell if she took time because she wanted to be dramatic or because wasn’t sure about her condition either. Ghost, spirit… I’m something that nobody can see or feel. She paused, giving me a look full of interest. Until now.

My guts were dancing, but an excited smile slowly replaced my pale face. “Wow, so this is like The sixth sense.” Suddenly, I opened my eyes wide and my smile died as my face turned into a brick of ice. A random thought ignited fear exactly like gas ignites fire. “O crap, this is like The sixth sense.”

She puckered her lips and looked up in thought. Well, I’m not sure if you have a sixth sense or–

I didn’t listen. I just let myself lean on my knees, grabbed my head between my hands, and rumbled in panic. “Nononono…”

Um, you ok? she asked with concern.

“Ok?” I asked, looking at her. “OK?” I yelled. “I’M DEAD!”

I felt out of myself. It was… too unreal, everything. But it made too much sense. And yet, I didn’t want to accept it. I turned to the only person(ish?) that could give me answers.

She looked at me blankly.

“I must be dead,” I said. I wasn’t really talking to her, I was just sorting out facts. “I… if I’m talking to a ghost… and… The sixth sense… and I just walked away from a heavy beating… I just wanted to rest for a moment…”

My teeth trembled, my sight blurred. I kneed in plead in front of her.

“No, that can’t be it. I mean… I’m not… I’m not really…”

She looked down at me. Silent and stoic like an angel of death. I was subjugated, hanging my hope on her answer. Every cell of my body was begging for her mercy.

But there was no mercy in her eyes.

Yep, she said, you kicked the bucket.

That was the final push. I squeezed my eyes shut and cried, shouting towards the darkening sky. “NOOOOOOOOO!”

Hey, it’s not that bad.

It’s hard to admit, but I broke down in tears. “I CAN’T BELIEVE I DIED SO YOUNG, JUST LIKE THAT! IT’S SO PATHETIC–” I sniffed through my nose, tears pouring out of my eyes “–I STILL HAD SO MUCH TO DO! I WANTED TO GET AWAY FROM MY HOUSE, TO SEE THE WORLD, HAVE FUN.” I had so much inside to vent, I could only punch the ground in frustration. “I DIDN’T EVEN KISS A GIRL! WHAT KIND OF LOSER DIES WITHOUT KISSING A GIRL ONCE?”

Sobbing, I punched the ground with so much strength I felt my skin opening and bleeding. It was painful, but I raised my hand to strike the unfair world again. I didn’t mind if my hand was in pain, or if my whole body was in pain…

My whole body was in pain…

And I could feel the cement with my hands…

Actually, I could even feel the dirt on my hands.

My weeping stopped, so my sobs, and my body. I calmed down, and I looked at my own hand. My scratched, bleeding hand.

I heard a snort and I raised my head, searching for her. She was hiding her mouth with one hand, but it was easy to tell from the eyes what she was about to do.

As I opened my mouth, she snickered. Then, she burst out laughing.

Furious, I jumped on my feet and insulted her in any way I could imagine. I’m not gonna repeat what I said, but every profanity that came out of my mouth only made her laugh harder.

Damn, the way she laughed. She was… I mean, she was so…

Anyway, I was angry and I went on until I calmed down. But I did calm down eventually.

“Fine, you got me,” I murmured. “Congrats, and glad you had your fun. How did you do that?”

Hahaha… It took her an effort, but she stopped laughing. Maybe I’m wrong, but she even looked a little embarrassed. Ahem, What are you talking about?

“You’re using a hologram or something, right?” I stepped forward and threw my arms all around… and through her. She frowned at this, but she didn’t stop me. “I mean, you hid a projector around here and…”

The more I tried to prove my point, the more I was convincing myself of the opposite. I didn’t see any stream of light from anywhere, and her image didn’t falter in the slightest no matter where I put my hands. She was like… dense… except she wasn’t. I couldn’t feel any resistance. But I also felt something. It was warm and… funny?

I don’t mean tingly, or odd. I mean… I precisely sensed the feeling of fun, just touching her.

Until… I started to feel peeved. I asked myself why…

Aren’t you enjoying yourself a little too much?

“Uh?” Dumbfounded, I bolted my head up and got eye to eye with her. I realized she was looking me with narrowed, piercing eyes. Looking down again, I also realized why.

My hands were right in her chest area.

I jerked back, pulling my hands away. The moment I did, my head felt lighter for some reason. In a way, like I was finally relaxing after focusing hard on a task.

I wondered why, I… what did she say? What was I thinking?

Hey, no need to be embarrassed. It’s not like I actually have a body anymore.

I came back to my senses.

She was still there, standing in front of me with her lips curled into a confident smile. But I knew she was angry with me. She was angry because I took her photos with her friends, her most fondle memories, and discarded them like trash. She was angry because a stranger was in possession of something that belonged to one of her friends, and because said stranger would have sold it for little cash. But she wasn't just angry, she was also hurt.

I didn't know how I was able to understand that, but I never felt so sure about someone else's feelings before. I actually felt those feelings, too.

It was strange, but strange had just become the ordinary.

Yeah, my life had entered into a completely different path that day, and something even greater than meeting a ghost was waiting ahead.

Ah, I’m such a muddler. I still haven't introduced myself.

My name is Middle Meddling.

Med, for friends.

And, despite the risk of being redundant…

…this is my story.

Author's Note:

Feedback is very appreciated.
Either if you liked this or not, I value your opinion and I would love to know what you think.
Also, feel free to point out any misplaced/missing tag.

Comments ( 3 )
Comment posted by andrizzi deleted Apr 5th, 2018

To be clear, I’m not a thief. I admit I had every intent to sell those jewels for my own gain, but I had the same right as everybody else. All the jewelry business is a rip off for rich people: you find a useless rock on the ground, claim it your own, you overprice it and sell it for no use.

That doesnt justify his actions, if he steals he is a thief. Just because he feels that way towards the Jewelry business, doesnt make it true. Also, is he thinks that the Jewelry business is a rip off, why did he steals the jewels in the first place? I mean...he thinks that they are useless rocks and then admited that he had every intent to Sell those jewells, would not that make him a scammer and a hypocrite?

8877553
Yep. Totally.
The point about this main character is for him to be flawed.
However, since he's also the narrator of his story, he will be the one to justify his own actions.
I think it's very fun to write and, even more, to see the reaction of the reader.

Login or register to comment