• Published 26th Mar 2018
  • 1,105 Views, 76 Comments

Picking Up The Pieces - Silver Dragon Blade Wing



A Changeling must rebuild his hive, and maybe his kind, after the failed Canterlot invasion.

  • ...
3
 76
 1,105

Chapter 11: Castle Attack

Ponyville

Area around Town Hall

Dragonfly's hive was Not happy to hear who was behind the Timber Wolf attacks, the Ponies had asked who Jewelbeetle was, which Rhino had answered;

Jewelbeetle was a Royal known for being very fond of jewels and wore them at all times, she was also a capable warrior in her own right, unlike most of the other royals. Jewelbeetle trained her hive hard, only taking the best and leaving the rest to the other hives and as a result had one of the smallest hives but its Changelings were the best warriors. She wasn't all that bad compaired to the other Royals but Rhino, among other Changelings, had a serous vendetta against her. Though he won't say why, just that it was very personal for Dragonfly's hive.

Dragonfly had always seen her as a worthy opponent, which was mutual. He admitted that out of all the Changeling Royals, Jewelbeetle was the closest to what he considered a friend as they got along fairly well considering, they'd even had a night of fun together once.

"Jewelbeetle doesn't sound that bad, in fact she sounds like she could be a good ally." Shining said.

"Maybe under different circumstances but now, she is an enemy." Dragonfly said.

"Why would she be controlling Timber Wolves to attack Ponies?" Luna asked.

"Probably because she no longer has any Changelings left, her hive had the best warriors but they were very few in number. In fact, her hive was one of the first to fall, they were overwhelmed fairly quickly." Seeker said.

"There is something I have noticed, the Timber Wolves rarely did any serous damage to Ponies they had attacked. Could Jewelbeetle be holding them back? And if so, why." Black Death asked rubbing his chin.

Dragonfly wondered that as well, that plus the fact that Ponyville had been attacked twice, everywhere else was only once.
Why was that the case?

He blinked as a sudden realization came to him.

Jewelbeetle knew he was alive and well, and the second attack had been to get his attention.

"She was challenging me to a duel." He said quietly, though not quietly enough as his company turned to him in surprise.

"What?" Was the general response.

"Jewelbeetle knows of my connection to Ponyville, so she must have send the second wave to get my attention."

"And you didn't tell us this before because?" Shining asked with narrow eyes.

"I didn't know she was still alive. Can't really be a threat if said threat is dead. You all would have learned about the other Royals after the current threat was taken care of anyway, this came out of nowhere for me to." Dragonfly said back.

"Let's not start another conflict with each other please. We just signed peace between other kinds." Cadance said putting herself between the two of them.

"Dragonfly and Shining are both right, Dragonfly in that this is something out of nowhere and Shining in that we weren't informed about this earlier." Celestria said.

Both Dragonfly and Shining calmed down. "Your right Princess, I'm sorry I keep this from you. I may be a Royal Changeling, but I'm a young royal, I'm around Twilight's and her friends age. Also, while I have a lot of skill in combat, I have little to no political experience. That and the fact that I have very little patience with stuck-ups who have their heads up their plots."

That got a laugh from Luna, Shining, and Black Death while Celestria and Cadance just smiled and nodded in agreement.

"You definitely are my brother's son nephew, Saber hated having to listen the nobles whine for not getting their way. More then once he told me how much he'd love at least try to knock some sense into their heads." Black Death said with a smile.

"Dad had to deal with nobles? I thought he was a Royal Knight."

"For a time Black Saber was my bodyguard, he became a Knight a little before he meet your mother while he was taking a vacation here." Luna said smiling.

"Ponyville is mine and my brother's home town, a good place to unwind after an incident involving the Princesses' nephew, banana cream pies, Princess Celestria's phoenix Philomena, and a crate of mangoes." Black Death said smiling rather fondly at the memory.

"Do I even want want to know?" Dragonfly asked.

Luna looked at him and just shook her head.

"I hate to break this up but we got off topic there. Prince Dragonfly, what else can you tell us about Jewelbeetle?" Celestria asked.

"Well besides what I've already said she does, believe it or not, have a code of honor. Looking at the Timber Wolf attacks I have a theory she isn't directly controlling them but simply increasing their aggression and bloodlust. I could be wrong on that thought."

"What is her code?" Shining asked.

"Jewelbeetle prefers to face her target opponent in single combat, she would use her disguise when needed like other Changelings but she always fought her duels undisguised, and she prefers to fight in melee combat."

"You said she "challenged you to a duel", what do you mean by that?" Cadance asked. Dragonfly tapped his head for a second then answered.

"If I'm remembering correctly, it has to do with an ancient law involving times where only a few Changeling Royals remain they must answer a challenge to a duel for the right to rule the Changelings."

"That right my Prince." Seeker confirmed.

"And since only you and her are the only Royals still in Equestria, the others have ether passed on or fled, never to return." Shining said.

"Yes, but I get the feeling that she doesn't expect to win this one."

That confused the Ponies, with Luna asking what he meant.

"Jewel has lost pretty everything she had, she once told me that if she was going to pass on, she much rather do it in battle then from old age. But even if she doesn't expect to win, she will not go down without a fight."

Dragonfly then stood up.

"Now I must answer that challenge, to not is to bring extreme shame on my hive."

"We understand Dragonfly, this both a Changeling and personal matter for you to deal with." Celestria said with the other ponies saying their agreement.

"The question is now, 'where to find her'?" Black Death asked.

As if on cue, Spotter came running up holding a scroll.

"Prince Dragonfly, a Timber Wolf came up to the edge of the Everfree, dropped this scroll and took off. Its addressed to you."

Both the Ponies and Changelings were speechless for what felt like an hour went it was only a minute.

"Ask and you shall receive?" Seeker said in an unsure tone. Dragonfly took the scroll, opened and read it.

"It's Jewelbeetle alright, she's in the Castle of the Two Sisters, and... she wants Seeker, Rhino, Spotter, Darter, Titan, Spartan, Black Death, his squad, Twilight, her friends, Spike, and Thunderlane to come as well to... finish off the remaining Timber Wolves she has power over while me and her have our duel."

"Why would she what us to come along and finish the wolves she controls?" Twilight asked. By this point the mentioned Ponies and Changelings had gathered around.

"Most likely because the wolves have served their purpose, but I get the feeling there's more to this than what we know at the moment." Seeker said rubbing his chin in thought.

Dragonfly sat down, "Jewel might want all of you to finish the wolves because she might be running low on E-energy, when that happens she will lose control which could be disastrous."

"What do you mean by 'running low on E-energy'?" Thunderlane asked with his head tilted to the side.

"What I mean by that is how E-energy works. As I said before, Changelings use E-energy not only as sustenance but also as fuel for our magic. Basically the more E-energy a Changeling has, the more powerful their magic, even a Drone if it has enough can became a near invulnerable super soldier. However, the problem with that set up is that every time we use our magic excluding levitation, our bodies have less to nourish itself with. Using too much at once will leave less to work with later."

Dragonfly drew a breath in, then continued.

"All of our magic abilities but levitation, even our disguise ability, requires E-energy to work. Without it they simply with not work."

Rainbow then asked, "What happens when you run out completely?" She sound like she wasn't sure if she wanted to know the answer or not.

Seeker held up a hoof and answered.

"It's best that remains unknown, all we're going to say on that is the Changeling dose die after a time but by that point its a mercy but the time between the running and death is filled with untold pain, and if they haven't refilled even a tiny amount within a certain time-" he visibly shuddered "- their ability to take in E-energy just... stops working."

The Ponies quickly decided they didn't want to know the rest.

"Thankfully a Changeling can last a good two mouths without having to take in E-energy." Seeker finished.

"Could that be why Jewelbeetle challenged Prince Dragonfly to a duel? Because she has entered the point where her ability to take in E-energy has stopped working?" Spike asked.

The Changelings looked at each other in surprise, that could be very likely.

Dragonfly than walked forward, looking over at his company.

"What ever the reasons, we have a chance to end the Timber Wolf crisis, and perhaps for me face my first challenge as the new Changeling leader. Let's get ready to move out."

His company nodded and left to get ready.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two Hours Later

Everfree, Castle of the Two Sisters

Main Hall

For some reason the castle seemed even eerie than usual, the Ponies were huddled rather close to the Changelings (possibly because of their herd instincts) while the Changelings and one Dragon were looking around as if expecting something to jump out from one of the hallways. The only ones not on edge were the Juggernauts and Dragonfly, through even they were on alert. Spotter wasn't with them as Dragonfly had asked him to keep watch for the Timber Wolves.

Said Royal scanned the room with his magic, He could feel it, Jewel's magic signature, she was here. Dragonfly slowly blinked and looked down the passage way that lead to the throne room.

Black Death walked up next to him. "What do you sense nephew?"

"She's here, waiting for me."

Seeker walked up next.

"Where?"

"The throne room, now I must go meet her challenge."

Before ether Black Death or Seeker could respond, Spotter shouted over the hive mine strong enough to cause the Changelings to wince.

ALARM!!! Timber Wolves headed this way! A lot of them. Looks like... at least a... I can't get a good count on them but I'ed estimate two thousand maybe more. More then we thought!*

Get back down here Spotter! We need all hooves on deck for this!

On my way! Out!

Dragonfly quickly told the Ponies.

"Two thousand!!" Twilight shouted. "That's too many for us to take by overselves!"

"Well it's to late to turn back and help wouldn't arrive from Ponyville in time." Black Death said.

"He's right we have to fight." Thunderlane said before adding with a small smile "And besides, you girls did say you've handled worst threats in the past."

"Not this Many at once!!!" Applejack shouted.

Black Death turned back to Dragonfly.

"Dragonfly, we'll handle the pawns, you go after the Queen."

"Are you sure you can handle them all?" The Royal asked in concern.

"We'll use the layout of the castle and the traps to our advantage to turn their numbers against them."

"Okay, good luck and no heroics! Keep each other alive and safe." Dragonfly then turned and run down the passage ways towards the throne room.

"YES SIR!" Rhino shouted after him.

They all looked towards the doorway as the wolves begin to enter.

Black Death smiled a slasher smile, his gold fang gleamed.

"Let the hunt begin."

Author's Note:

*After doing some rethinking and some feedback I lowered the Timber Wolves considerably.

Getting close to the end, 6 Changelings, 16 Ponies and one Dragon vs an army of Timber Wolves.

Next chapter is the battle, with a few surprises.