• Published 15th Aug 2012
  • 777 Views, 3 Comments

The Magic of Friendship - Darkswirl



Celestia banishes Luna and struggles to cope with her loss.

  • ...
3
 3
 777

Notification

"Princess Celestia?" a voice called from behind the heavy wooden doors to the princess's bed chambers.

She barely heard the noise through the violent storm outside, and made no attempt to open the door.

Instead, she let the knocking continue as she buried her snout further into her pillows and blankets.

"Princess Celestia, you cannot hide in there forever; you have responsibilities. And quite frankly, you're scaring all of us." the voice continued.

Celestia threw a pillow ineffectively at the door, making it soar halfway across the room before softly colliding with the floor.

Reluctantly, the Sun Goddess struggled to her hooves and opened the door a bit.

"My, how beautiful you look today." The pony responded with a soft, sly smile.

"Stow it, High General. What do you need?" Celestia asked, unamused as she backed away from the door to hide her unkempt mane and bloodshot eyes.

Pushing open the door and shutting it behind him, High General Starshine stood alongside his princess as she glared at the thunderstorm raging on outside.

"Princess..." Starshine began, looking up to his ruler curiously; a hint of worry in his emerald eyes. "Why have you been hiding in your room for the past two days? Why did you disappear for two, and where the buck is your sister?".

Celestia continued glaring out the opened window as a few raindrops managed to splash against her snout.

She didn't care about the rain. She didn't care about her duties. She didn't care about her subjects.

No, she did care for her subjects. She just...She just couldn't guide them anymore; at least not like this.

"Princess?" Starshine questioned, breaking into her thoughts.

"Luna is gone, general. She attempted to overthrow me and was banished." Celestia replied coldly, stepping away from the window and climbing into her bed again.

General Starshine stood at the window, his eyes following the princess as he stood frozen in shock.

He was dumbstruck. He had no idea what to say. He just stood there, staring with that stupid look before slowly trotting out in disbelief.

Celestia snorted as he walked out.

-

"She's been in her room all day today and yesterday. What do you think is going on?" a guard whispered to his guard-mate as they stood at their posts in the hallway.

General Starshine hid his disapproval as he caught on to what was being said.

Rather than confront them on the matter and risk spilling personal information, General Starshine continued trotting towards the large wooden doors at the end of the hall as the storm continued to rage outside.

It had been four and a half days since Celestia first went missing, and the storm had started after day two.

Nopony knew where it came from or why it was so fierce, but General Starshine had his theories.

"Princess Celestia, as your highest ranking general I demand to speak with you at once. You have been holed up in your room for four and a half days doing nothing while a storm threatens Equestria and-" the general boomed before stopping as the door slowly swung open.

Swallowing the rest of his words nervously, Starshine trotted into the room and shut the door behind him.

"Would you like to repeat any of that, general?" Celestia whispered from behind him, glaring intensely into his coat.

General Starshine resisted the urge to squeal like a little school filly and turned to face his menacing ruler.

"As a matter of fact, yes, I would. Equestria cannot survive as it has without a ruler, but the only ruler here is too depressed to help her people when they need it the most. Have you taken a look outside recently?" the general said defiantly.

"I am quite aware of the large storm on my doorstep, general." Celestia spat.

"Then you're also aware that three towns have been destroyed already from the storm? Or that crops are being torn from the ground by the wind or drowned in water? Perhaps you've also heard that several of your guard have deserted their posts because of the storm and their leaders absence?" Starshine shot back, his hooves planted firmly into the marble as he challenged a goddess.

Celestia stood her ground even firmer, offering an unamused glare with one eyebrow raised. "Perhaps you are not fully aware of what transpired in those first two days of my absence."

Celestia locked the door with her magic and took steps forward, forcing her general back into a corner as her voice filled the room. "I was betrayed by the only pony who has ever been close to me! I was imprisoned and taunted by my very own sister because she believed ponies like you didn't appreciate her! I was forced to hear her screams of terror as I banished her myself to her beautiful moon! Take a moment to think before you accuse me of not doing my job, general! I have lived two thousand years as it is; sixteen and a half generations of your family! I have fought in countless wars to protect my little ponies and lost countless stallions and mares to time!".

By the time Celestia had finished, a certain five star general lay cowering on his back.

He had fought in wars as well and watched those under his command torn to shreds and burned alive in the battles against the dragons, but he finally had something to add to his empty list of things that scared the manure out of him. Celestia's rage was saved for those very few that threatened Equestria or its inhabitants, and the general was the first in a long while to experience that much power in ones emotions and voice.

"Get out of my room, get out of my castle, and get out of Canterlot, general! I hereby relieve you of your command; Permanently." Celestia ordered.