• Published 8th Apr 2018
  • 847 Views, 38 Comments

Monster's Debt Paid - Jaycren



All debts are eventually called in. All markers must be paid. Not even Deities and monsters are exempt from this rule.

  • ...
4
 38
 847

Hel: Return of Generosity

Sitting among the fashionista's wares Hel smirked as Rarity cooed over Aradinee.

"It's been so long since I had the opportunity to craft a proper child's wardrobe," Rarity squeed, "And you, Young Lady, are such a good subject."

"I'm a big fan of your's Ms. Belle!" Aradinee stammered, "I based my dress on one of your designs."

"I was meaning to ask about that," Rarity smiled, "How did you accomplish that when you have no eyes?"

Hel smiled, "I believe Ms. Belle that Aradinee has interpreted her cutie mark rather liberally."

Rarity chuckled, "Ah yes, she's a weaver. How silly of me. I should have guessed."

Hel nodded, "It is so nice to talk to someone educated. Those broodmares posing as nobility thought she was completely blind."

Rarity shook her head, "Well darling, you can't expect everyone to have our specific subset of knowledge."

Aradinee giggled, "I really liked it when they wore dresses from Ms. Polomane, one loose thread can ruin the entire weave."

Rarity looked down on the snickering filly, "I wondered about those incidents. It's not nice to ruin other's work darling."

Aradinee grinned, "I'm really happy Ms. Pommol and Ms. Saddles works for you now. No loose threads, anymore."

Hel guffawed, "Oh you certainly are one of my brood. Such a sweet child, wouldn't you agree, Ms. Belle?"

The door slammed open, saving Rarity from responding. Marble Pie staggered in, collapsing on the ground she gasped.

"Help me."


Marble opened her eyes to the smell of jasmine and lilacs. Shaking the fuzz from her head the young mare looked into eyes pulled straight from her dreams.

"Lady Hel," the quiet mare sighed.

"You know my name," Hel purred, "Might I know yours?"

"Marble Pie."

"Is it?" Hel queried, "I think you have another, on lost in the quiet of the dark. Whispered within your mind so that none can hear. Tell me that name and you shall have all the power you need."

"I can't," Marble shuddered, "that name scares me. It makes me want to do bad things. I have to be a good girl. I'm not strong enough for it."

"You are stronger then you think," Hel stated.

Removing her sword, belt and all, the Alicorn of the Underworld presented it to the young shivering mare.

"Say the name of who you are. Take up my sword and gain the power to save those you love yourself. Be not afraid of what lies inside of you. Take my sword and become my hand as Saphire Blue is my herald."

Marble's shiver stopped, staring at the Dark blade she saw a different face reflected back.

"My name is..." She began.

"My Name Is..."

My Name Is Obsidian Shard!" she announced to the world, taking the Swordbreaker from her mistress.

"And my blade shall be called Onyx Shadow." Shard declared.

Buckling it around her self, Shard bowed to her mistress.

"By your leave lady, I must go. My family is being hunted by tatzelwurms."

Hel grinned, "I will send you on your way, then. Happy hunting, my Herald."

Hel extended her hand, and Shard was gone.


Sapphire Blue stood before the council of nobles, "Now then my brethren, we have before us a bill. One that will abolish the Alicorn monarchy and restore the Unicorn Nobility. Of which I am the highest member."

Glancing around the room, Saphire suppressed a smirk.

Oh what fools they be. Welp, it's almost 4 and the mistress did ask this be done by tonight.

"Now then, how many in favor?"

It really is sad that we have to do this out loud since so many of them can't read. I do so miss Cousin Sparkle.

A loud chorus of Yays filled the room, as the stomping of feet shook the parliamentary.

And thus I win, I am so glad this is over. Maybe now Fancy and Lady Rarity will forgive me.

More for the formality Saphire queried, "Those against?"

A quiet few Neahs drifted to his ears, quiet and beautiful in the silence.

Tightening the noose Blue snarled, "Any abstentions?"

The absence of sound fell over the chambers.

"Passed," Saphire cackled, "And as my first act I abolish the parliament."

"What! You can't" Shouted one of his former supporters.

"You'll find that I can, I helped write this after all. I know what powers it gives me. For my second act, all those that passed this treasonous farce of a bill are now to be executed immediately as enemies of the crown. Guards, get this filth from my sight."

"But Celestia will never allow this," another objected as Saphire's personal force seized them.

"You should all learn to read," Saphire sneered, "You took any power she had to protect you away when you voted me king. I'm your judge, jury, and executioner. Chosen by your own hand."

Those that had once hailed him as a savior, shrank from him, Saphire's words crashing down and silencing the last of their hopes. Those that fought back died on the spot, as Saphire's guards followed his commands. As the last were herded out, Saphire turned to those that remained.

"Fancy Pants, Hoity Toity, Night Light, Market Share, and Noble Deed please rise." Saphire intoned.

All that was left of the Council of the Skies rose, bravely facing the tyrant before them.

"Us six will be acting parliament until Equestria wide elections will be held. The hegemony of the Unicorns on the places of power is over. It dies when the last of those traitors meet their end. I do not expect to be forgiven. Nor do I wish to be. Sometimes to remove a disease, you need a scalpel, this time we needed an ax. The rot had existed for too long. The remaining lands of the traitors will be divide equally among you five. Along with any titles and businesses they held."

At no point should I benefit from this nasty business. It needed to done, but let the reward go to those that will use it for the betterment of others.

"And what about after?" Night Light snarled, "That still leaves you king."

"After the elections are held, I shall return power to the Triarchy. My days in the political arena are done. I will only remain in power long enough to ensure that the elections are not interfered with."

Fancy's eyes darted as he began assembling the puzzle, "How long have you been planning this Blue? How long have I hated my best friend because of a lie?"

"Ever since my parents let my sister die." Saphire snarled, "I would not have her child raised to be another piece on the board. Nor could I allow the little one to grow amid the loneliness of my mansion."

Hoity bowed his head, "Pardon my ignorance but, are you not scared of Celestia's justice? She may be powerless now, but when you abdicate those powers will return. She'll not care for what you've done. No matter your intentions."

"Then it is good that I'm no longer her subject. The final piece of all this snapped into place when my mistress arrived. She is Hel the Alicorn of Death, Aunt of Celestia and Luna. You'll meet her at my Neice's cutecenra. You're all coming, of course. Invitations will be sent out when we set a date."

"Now if you'll excuse me, I must head home to make sure that dinner is prepared for my Mistress and Neice. It would not do for our first dinner together to be a poor one."

Exiting the chamber, Saphire Blue ignored the protestations of his fellows. After all, it was good to be the King.