• Published 25th Jul 2012
  • 8,492 Views, 215 Comments

The Night's Veil - P3RROHAMBRE

  • ...
16
 215
 8,492

Chapter 2

The Night’s Veil

A Very Big Mistake

“You want me to go on a date with you?!”

Luna smiled, a bit amused and surprised at Twilight’s shock. “Yes Twilight. Very much so, if that is alright with you.” She didn’t understand what was so shocking about such a request. It was just a date after all.

“OhmygoshIcan’tbelievethisyou’reaskingmeonadate...” Twilight rambled, gasping through her barrage of words.

Luna cocked her head, barely making out any word that her friend was making. What is this new language she speaks so often now?

Suddenly, she noticed the unicorn starting to wobble a bit and sway side to side as if she had drank too much cider. Her purple eyes became askew, and she abruptly fell to the wooden floor with a hard thud, passed out in front of Luna.

“Twilight!”

A silver hoof knocked on the wooden door of Twilight's bedroom. Luna waited as she heard the sound of a small dragon make his way to the door. It flew open to the sight of Spike holding a feather duster and some dust covering his purple face. "Let me guess,” he sighed, “the giant thud downstairs was Twilight right?"

Princess Luna simply nodded. She had Twilight on her back, unconscious, and had brought her up to her room so that she could lay her on her bed. "I'm afraid so Spike, but don’t fret. She is fine and I suspect she will wake in a couple hours or so." She started to make her way into the bedroom.

"That’s Twilight for you," Spike said as he made his way to his lifelong friends bed and Luna laid her gently on it.

Her horn lit up and magically pulled the lavender blanket over Twilight, making sure she was completely covered except for her head. Spike made sure that her head was positioned perfectly over the pillow, giving maximum comfort until she awoke again.

"So, care to explain all this Princess?” Spike asked, motioning his arms toward Twilight. “Did something fall on her head again or something? Oh, I bet something did, didn’t it? I keep telling her that she needs to listen to Pinkie Pie about-"

Luna lifted her hoof and the dragon silenced himself. They may have been friends, well more like acquaintances, but he knew that his princess still stood before him and he would show her due respect - though Luna wasn't one to enforce the fact she was a princess. She just wanted to be treated like any other pony but she was grateful that Spike decided to quiet himself so she could explain.

“Let’s go downstairs,” she said simply. Spike only nodded, as they walked down the stairs back to the main section of the library. Both sitting down on the couch, Luna continued.

"I asked her out on a simple date and then she fainted for some unknown reason. I hope this is not normal behavior of hers that you spoke of earlier, for I even know that ponies do not faint when asked a simple question such as this,” Luna stated. “Do you happen to-” she stopped suddenly, noticing Spike’s agape mouth and shocked expression. “Why does your mouth hang, dear Spike?”

It took a moment before Spike came back to his senses. “A simple request?!” Spike exclaimed. “Princess, you just asked her on a date!”

“Yes, and . . .?” Luna said nonchalantly, oblivious to where this was going.

“That means you like Twilight, right?” Spike asked.

"Of course I do,” she responded, clearly not understanding what he meant by the question. “We are friends, why wouldn't I like Twilight?"

Luna watched as Spike face-clawed himself and looked at her with a sheepish smile, obviously nervous for whatever reason. "I mean,” Spike tried again, “do you like, ya know, like like her?"

Luna still didn't understand what the dragon was talking about. How could a pony doubly like another pony? They either liked them or not and Luna was now growing a bit tired and confused. "Spike, please speak sense,” Luna huffed, a sense of annoyance showing through her voice. “I do not understand how one likes another pony two times. I been gone a thousand years and never heard such a term in my time. Be forward with me and tell me what you mean."

Spike let out a nervous laugh as he rubbed the back of his head, the feather duster still in his other hand. "Are you in love with Twilight?” Spike said, putting emphasis on the word ‘love’.

“Love?” Luna felt an intense heat in her face as she heard the word 'love'. The word sent a slight pain through her heart but she didn't dare acknowledge it, fearing what would happen if she did. How could Spike say that when she never gave any indication to having such a feeling? "Spike, I asked her on a date, not her hoof in marriage. Why do you believe that I am in love with my sister's student?" she asked, raising her brow in confusion.

Spike looked just as confused as her now. "Then why did you ask her on a date, Princess?"

"Isn't that what it's not called when one friend wishes to spend time with another? I only desired to go out and have friendly fun. How does this indicate me being in love?"

Spike shifted on over to her, now sitting a closer to her and looked up into her eyes "Princess, no disrespect, but I think you don't understand what a date means."

Luna looked down at the baby dragon, now even more confused. "Explain," she simply said.

"When you ask some pony on a date, it means that you have, well... feelings for them,” he tried explaining, obviously a bit reluctant to.

"Feelings? What feelings do you speak of?" Luna asked.

"You know, feelings that are more than just friendly. Haven't you ever had a crush or loved some pony before Princess?"

She heard the word again and another pain went through her heart, a bit stronger than the last. She had loved once before, but she rather not remember the pony as it brought back only a painful memories. Ones that led her down a dark path long ago. "I have, but I fail to see-"

She was interrupted by Spike, obviously becoming a bit disgruntled at how slow Luna was making sense of this.

"A date is between two ponies that love each other, Princess."

Luna's heart stopped as she heard this revelation. Back during the time before her banishment, a date was asked between friends for social gatherings and festivities, not one of romance and love. How things have changed so dramatically for her, but now another revelation came to her. Princess Luna now knew why Twilight had acted so eerie earlier and ran off from her. It explained her strange rambling and her fainting. Luna now knew the one thing that Twilight had tried so hard to keep from her.

She has feelings for me.

Fear now gripped her heart, fear of what this could mean. She didn’t love Twilight nor had any feelings beyond that of a friend and she had probably put Twilight under the impression that she did. What would Twilight do if she told her that it was a simple misunderstanding and she had no interest in her? Luna knew well what heartbreak felt like, and she didn’t want to see Twilight suffer such pain simply because she was too ignorant to know what dating actually meant. Luna knew she had just made a horrible, ignorant mistake. A very big mistake.

If I tell her that I do not love her like she does me, then she will surely hate me and will not desire to be my friend anymore... but I can’t lose my friend! I can’t be alone again!

That was her biggest fear. For so long she had been alone; stuck on a cold, isolated rock with no pony to talk to nor no pony that could comfort her. It was just her, and every single waking moment on her lonely moon was torture beyond measure. Even when she came back and was freed from her alter ego, no pony wanted to be her friend, still fearing her as Nightmare Moon. It wasn’t until Nightmare Night that she finally had a friend, and she found that friend in Twilight. She couldn’t lose her... she would be lost without her.

She suddenly felt a small gentle tug of her mane, snapping her out of her reasonable fear. She looked down to see Spike now standing right in front of her with a look of seriousness on his purple face with one simple, horrifying question.

"Do you seriously love her Princess?"

Luna panicked. This wasn’t what she wanted at all. She only loved Twilight as a friend, not a lover. This was just a misunderstanding, a very big misunderstanding. What was she to do? “Well, no,” she confessed. “I . . . I do not love her.”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Then why did you ask her on a date?”

Luna sighed. If she told Spike that she didn't, no doubt he would tell Twilight and she would hate her for unwittingly toying with her fragile emotions. Luna couldn't have her best friend hating her.

Yet, she couldn’t lie about something as big as this. “Well,” she started to explain. “In my time, before becoming . . . possessed the way I was . . . a date used to mean any casual get-together, a time to have fun.” She bit her lip. “I didn’t know it had changed.”

A long pause followed as it dawned on both of them the tough situation they were in. “Oh wow,” Spike breathed. “This isn’t good. This is not good at all.

“You’re telling me,” Luna said, rubbing a hoof on her forehead.

Spike stood up. ‘I’d better tell Twilight before this gets any worse,” he said, walking toward her bedroom.

This was the last thing Luna wanted to happen. “No!” she shouted, stopping Spike dead in his tracks. “Thou must not - er, you can’t tell her about this misunderstanding.”

“Well, what are you going to do?” Spike asked worriedly. Luna thought for a long minute. Only one idea came into Luna’s mind.

“I’ll pretend to love her.”

Forgive me, sister.

She despised herself. She knew this was wrong, wrong on so many different levels. She was willing to lie to Twilight, pretend she loved her, just so she could keep her as a friend? No doubt this wasn’t to hurt Twilight or fool with her in any way, but Luna knew what heartbreak felt like, and it could drive even the most kind and innocent pony into a darkness that one may not be able to break free of.

She knew this all too well.

Meanwhile, Spike looked like he had just been hit with a pan. “You’re going to lie to her?! Why not just tell her the truth?!”

“Spike,” Luna said, pleading for justification. “I asked her on a date without knowing what it truly meant - and she believes that I feel the same way as she does toward me. She will hate me if she knows I do not feel the same, and I wish not to hurt my friend.”

“She won’t get hurt feelings,” Spike tried to reassure her. “I may not know that much about romance, but what you’re saying will do more damage than good. She would appreciate the honesty rather than you lying to her.” Spike started to walk away, in the direction of upstairs. “I’m going to tell her, and you’ll see everything’s gonna be just-”

Before he could even finish his sentence, Luna’s magic took hold of him and threw him towards her, meeting her face to face while he floated in mid-air. “Spike, I beg you not to tell her. Let me take her out on this date and I will return her feelings so she may be happy and I may-” She started to get misty-eyed. “-keep our friendship.”

Ponies believed that her and Celestia were perfect, not capable of really doing no wrong, especially tricking one into thinking that they loved them when they really didn’t. She may have been a goddess of the night, and other things, but if only Twilight could see how far from perfect she was. Luna couldn't turn back now lying to the assistant about her false love. She would just have to play the part and keep a certain pony from finding out about it. Luna would have to.

“Fine, fine!” Spike groaned, giving up. “I won’t say a word - but I don’t know how you’re going to pull this off without her noticing.”

Luna didn’t know how she was going to pull this off either, but regardless, she would find a way. It was terrible of her to really be doing this but desperation could make ponies do things that they would have never considered.

“I don’t know Spike...but I’ll find a way. Just... just don’t speak a word of this to Twilight. I’d rather tell her myself. It is all I ask of you.”

Spike rubbed his head. He already had a minor headache just thinking about all this scheming and trickery that he was about to partake in with Luna, against his better judgement. “I already said I wouldn’t say a word. Just...” his voice cracked. “Just don’t hurt her, alright?”

Luna now felt immense guilt that she had now made Spike keep this lie she would play, so she simply nodded, obviously seeing that he was not pleased with her at all.

“Well, I’m going back upstairs...I’ll see you later, “ he said flatly and left, not even giving Luna a chance to utter a word to him.

A few seconds later, he returned, remembering something very important.

“Oh, before you leave, could you tell me the recipe of those oats you made earlier?” He waited for an answer but none came. He turned around, expecting to see Luna still there considering what she had done. He didn’t hear the door open or close, but there was no alicorn in the room.

Luna was gone.

A throbbing pain thrashed her mind, sending it into shocks of discomfort.

“Unngh,” Twilight groaned, the pain waking her out of dead sleep.

Her eyes fluttered open, slowly revealing her purple eyes to the world once again. She felt warm and tried moving her legs under her blanket to stretch, but they seemed stiff and sore. She turned over onto her back and looked at the ceiling, wondering how she was now in her room and why her poor head was in such pain. It felt like some pony had taken a brick and smashed a side of her head with it. She rubbed her temples with her hooves, still in her resting position. Her mind seemed to be in a daze and she found it difficult trying to remember how she got up here.

Princess Luna...

She heard the name echo in her conscious. It was such a wonderful name to hear but there was more to it than that. There was some type of nagging, persistent feeling that was tugging at her heart, trying to tell her something important about her beloved princess.

Twilight broke away from her inner pondering for a moment and carefully brought herself up, looking around her room. Everything was normal and she slowly was beginning to remember something about Luna.

“I have a request.”

Twilight rubbed her head gingerly some more. The pain was fading but a few shocks of discomfort still shot through her thinking brain. Twilight remembered that Luna asked her something, but what it was, she didn’t know. The only real thing she did know that she was looking at Luna one minute in her living room, and then the next minute, she was now waking in her room. It was almost deja vu of this morning.

The bedroom door suddenly opened, her attention now turning to it. Spike walked through the door, holding an immense tub of ice cream and scooping it out, throwing the icy good right into his mouth, obviously enjoying its sweet flavor.

“Spike?”

The dragon quickly turned to her, realizing that his lifelong friend had finally awakened from her small, unconscious ‘nap’. His face turned a slight shade of red of embarrassment.

“Oh you're awake...this isn’t what it looks like.” Spike said nervously with a sheepish grin, quickly hiding the tub of ice cream behind his back.

Twilight had already seen it and even if she hadn’t, the pink smudges across his lips was definitely a tell-tale sign. Her assistant knew that she didn’t take too kindly to him eating too much ice cream, in fear that he would suffer a major stomach ache and then deal with his constant groans and whining. Normally she would have scolded him, telling him the effect of consuming so much and the consequences it would have on his digestive system in great, complicated detail. Instead, she had something more pressing to ask him than why he was eating ice cream.

“Spike, where’s Luna?”

That’s all she wanted to know. It was all she cared about for now. Twilight knew for a fact that she was just speaking with the princess just but a moment ago, but then, why was she in her room?

“Oh Luna? She left about an hour ago. She said she had some things back in Canterlot to take care of, yada yada, princess stuff.” he replied, a bit stunned that he didn’t receive the expected scolding that he knew he deserved.

“What are you talking about?” Twilight looked around the room. “I was just talking to Luna a few minutes ago.”

Spike smiled amusingly seeing that his friend was forgetting a few details. “Then explain why you’re in your bed then.”

She had no clue. Her mind wasn’t giving an explanation as to how she was in her bed, especially since she was just downstairs talking to the princess.

“I... I don’t know. I was just downstairs and Luna asked me something but I can’t...remember.”

“Bwahahaha!” Spike laughed as he began rolling over the floor, dropping the tub of ice cream onto the floor. Twilight face flustered in unknown embarrassment and in a bit of mild anger.

“What’s so funny?!” she said as she slammed her front hooves on her sheet. If anything annoyed this mare, it was whenever her dragon found something funny at her expense. She hated the fact that she couldn’t remember much about how she ended up in her room and what Luna had asked her, and now was being ridiculed for it.

Spike spoke through his fit of laughter, “You really...oh my gosh this is rich... you really don’t remember what Luna asked you?”

“No,” Twilight retorted, “and I don’t appreciate you laughing about it.”

Spike quelled his fit of laughter and stood back up. Tears seemed come from his green eyes from such amusement. “Don’t get your mane in a bunch Twilight. Just kind of funny that you can’t remember Luna’s little question is all.” Spike said, letting a few giggles escape him as he picked up the ice cream from the floor.

“Well then, how about you help jog my memory then and actually help me,” the unicorn said in annoyance.

Spike hopped up on the side of her bed with the ice cream, throwing another scoop of it in his mouth seeing that Twilight didn’t really care for the time being.

“Okay then,” Spike said with a grin,”You don’t remember how you got up here right?”

Twilight simply nodded.

“And nothing about what Luna asked you?”

“Yes Spike, I already said this.”

Spike snickered. “Well, you weren’t just talking to her a few minutes ago.” He smirked slyly. “She left after she carried you up here which was an hour ago. You’ve been out cold for the past hour because you fainted.”

The gears in Twilight’s mind began to push and vague images were starting to appear to her inner eye. She saw Luna speaking to her and she could actually remember certain sensations. There was a cold feeling and then one of panic. Twilight’s heart began to pump a bit faster as she was slowly coming to the realization that she did faint, but for what reason? Was she sick, or maybe just light headed because she didn’t eat breakfast this morning? “I fainted? Why in the hay would I faint in front of Luna? Was I sick? Am I sick?” A hoof went to her forehead. “I don’t feel like I’m ill.”

Spike could only shake his head. “It’s a wonder how you became Princess Celestia’s student.”

Twilight grimaced at the comment but decided against pursuing what that meant. She only wanted to know why she passed out. “Spike, cut the sarcasm please. Just tell me why I fainted.”

Spike obeyed and gave her the answer that would surely send her into immediate shock, maybe even causing her to faint once again, though Spike hoped against it. He didn’t want to watch over a unconscious unicorn all day long. He was a busy dragon and had things to do, ponies to see, places to go. Well, that’s the way he viewed it at least.

“Okay you asked for it. You fainted because Princess Luna asked you,” he paused as he tried to contain his laughter once more. ”She asked you on a date.”

A date?

Twilight’s body went completely cold and her heart began to beat erratically and a dreadful feeling swept over her. She felt like her stomach just fell into some bottomless pit within her as she was beginning to realize that Spike was telling the truth. Slowly, memories began to come back to her and she now heard the request quite clearly.

“I ask of thee to go on a date with me.”

The pain in her head that tortured her earlier was instantly gone as she recovered from her short episode of selective amnesia. Her body was no longer sore, but consumed with a cold, almost fearful feeling. Twilight now knew what happened and why she was now in her room. Princess Luna asked her out on a date, a wonderful offer for one such as her and the feelings she retained for the alicorn. She remembered the joy that sprang within her and the overwhelming astonishment accompanying it. Overwhelming to the point that she became light headed and blacked out. Luna must have carried her up to her room and laid her down on her bed so she could rest and then left to attend her duties.

Oh no! I fainted in front of her because she asked me on a date?! She..she probably thinks I’m some type of foal! How could I have let that happen?! Why didn’t I just say yes?! I blew it!

Her mind scorned her and her heart wrenched inside. She could only imagine how Luna must have thought of her after seeing such a reaction. She was the student of Princess Celestia, expected to take on anything in stride and poise, and a simple offer of a date dropped her out of consciousness? It was far from a simple offer of course, especially for a mare that held such intense feeling after a simple kiss from the adored princess of the night, but the now horrible reality that she had reacted such a way over an offer any pony would jump at was setting in, making her actually wanting to cry.

Twilight threw her hooves to her face as she began to feel tears well up in her eyes.

How? How did I blow such a chance! She probably wants nothing to do with me now! Probably found some other pony to go out with, one that doesn't act so... so... idiotic!

Her bottom lip began to tremble but she held in her sudden shame and sadness. The thought of never seeing Luna again was crushing her, though this was a bit overboard to think such a thing.

“Twilight, are you okay?”

Spike noticed the sudden change and now felt a bit guilty for taking any kind of amusement of his friend’s earlier action. He didn’t mean to make her feel bad but he also didn’t know how much she wanted that date either. Spike was a smart dragon, no doubt about it, but even he secretly knew that Twilight had some type of interest in Luna. It was pretty obvious over the past week to see it, especially when he woke up in the middle of the night because of her calling out Luna’s name in her sleep. He knew that she liked Luna and decided not to bring it up and play dumb, knowing full well that Twilight would never admit something like that to him; maybe to her friends Rarity or Fluttershy, but not him. He scooted over to Twilight and poked her foreleg as they covered her face from being seen.

“Hey, I’m sorry Twilight. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad.”

Twilight knew Spike wasn’t trying to make her feel bad and it wasn’t him doing it. She knew Spike was a joker and sometimes a smartass, to put it so crudely, but it was all in good taste. It wasn’t Spike causing this, but herself. Her mind was unforgiving as her own conscious ridiculed and belittled her.

What pony faints when being asked out?! Not a NORMAL one...except for Twilight Sparkle!

Hot tears were starting to roll down her cheeks and she quickly wiped them away. She hated crying in front of others.

“Twilight, if it’s about the date-” Spike began, but was quickly interrupted.

“I don’t want to hear it Spike. I already know she regrets asking me so you don’t have to tell me, okay?” Twilight said, trying to hold herself together. She had already resigned herself to the false truth of Luna seeing her as a fool and never wanting to even speak to her again.

“No she doesn't.”

Twilight looked at him, moving her hooves away from her face. “And how would you know that?”

Spike wanted to tell her that Luna admitted that she actually loved Twilight, but the princess had already said that she rather tell Twilight herself, if of course Twilight accepted the date.

“She told me before she left that she would...” he paused, trying to make this small white lie a bit plausible, “She would wait for a letter from you if you still wanted to go on a date with her and if you said yes, she would pick you up when the time is right.”

Spike clearly knew that’s not what Luna had said, but he knew enough that Luna wanted this date, as did Twilight, so a little lie in the name of goodwill wouldn’t hurt.

Twilight’s heart immediately lit up from her momentary sadness.

“Did she.. did she really say that?”Twilight asked hopefully.

Spike smiled, seeing Twilight’s sadness quickly leave her. “Yep, so you probably should get writing that letter because I’m not writing it. I could imagine what mushy stuff you would put it anyways,” he stated in a playful tone.

Twilight seemed to glow now with sudden relief and happiness, and immediately threw the sheets off her. “Thanks Spike! I’ll get right to it!” she exclaimed, hugging her dragon friend.

“What did I do?”

Twilight didn’t care nor respond. This joyful news that he had relayed to her was enough to thank him for. She quickly broke the embrace and dashed through her bedroom door, leaving a proud and amused Spike sitting on her bed.

There was no time to waste.

Twilight sat at her desk, pulling out a blank piece of parchment in front of her and some black ink. She placed them neatly in front of her and summoned her quill with her magic. She didn’t need Spike to write this for her, for this was something she wanted to do, needed to do.

But there was one problem.

How do I start this?

It was a first for Celestia’s protege. She had never had trouble writing a letter before. She always knew what she wanted to say in it and written her letters with ease...well... had Spike write her letters with ease.

Now it was different.

She tapped the quill against her chin as she tried to think through her wall of writers block.

How should I do the greeting?

She was so used to using ‘Dear Princess Celestia’ as her greeting that this was alien to her. Never had she before written a letter to Princess Luna, especially a letter accepting a date from some pony.

Dear Princess Luna?

Should she put the title with her name? The alicorn did say that that she could just address her as Luna, but what about through a letter? Would she take offense without her royal title, or would she take even more offense if she did since she had already been told that there was no need. Twilight sighed, knowing she was probably overthinking everything, but she needed it to be perfect. Twilight already felt that she was lucky enough that Luna would still want to her date after her earlier fiasco, so she needed to be absolutely flawless and actually try to be a normal, calm, collected and mature pony. She dipped her quill in the ink and began writing, making her decision.

Dear Luna,


It sounded right to her. It sounded natural and friendly. She decided to just stay with Luna without the title. Luna had asked her out on a date so Twilight figured that some formalities could be left out, but what now? What would be the body, the bulk of such a letter? She simply couldn’t say ‘Yes, I would love to go on a date with you’ and end it there. It was too simplistic and lacked any real emotion.

This has to be perfect and by Celestia, I’m going to make this perfect!

With her inner declaration, she finally began her letter.

Dear Luna,

First, I would like to apologize for my earlier reaction to your offer of a date. I can assure you it was not my intention to act so foalish. I usually don’t suffer from events such as that, just your request threw me a bit off guard. I hope that I didn’t offend you in any way.

Twilight stared at what she wrote thus far. She didn’t even think about what she was writing, but after her mental declaration it seemed to just flow out of her. She deemed it appropriate, seeing that she felt that there was an apology in order, even if Luna didn’t really seem to mind according to what she got from Spike.She just wanted to be clear that she was not this...eerie... on a regular basis to her princess.

Twilight continued:

Anyways, I am writing to you seeing that you requested a letter from me concerning the date you asked me earlier that I failed to answer, and my answer is yes. I would love to go on a date with a pony such as yourself, if you’re still available of course. I know how being a princess of Equestria has its duties and keep one pretty busy, so if you had to cancel for some reason, I will completely understand.

I look forward to your response.

Love,
Twilight Sparkle.

“No!”

Twilight set the parchment aside from her, deciding that she would get rid of it later. She brought her hooves to her temples and rubbed them in frustration.

Why did I just write that?!

The letter was perfect. It wasn’t too simple but it was still brief and to the point. It was perfect to Twilight until she signed it off with ‘Love, Twilight Sparkle.’ She didn’t know why she wrote that and didn't even mean to.

I need to be more careful.

Twilight liked Luna. She knew this too well and her feelings reminded her of it, but love? Just like last night, she didn’t want to go as far and say she actually loved Princess Luna. Love was too intense of a word to use. Twilight was simply interested in Luna, nothing more.

At least, that’s what she told herself.

She sighed and began to rewrite the letter onto a new piece of parchment. She made sure it would be neat and flawless, as her strive for perfection knew no bounds when it came to letters.

Thank Celestia Spike isn’t writing this.

Spike had already made it clear several minutes ago that he wouldn’t write this letter with the impression that it was going to be sappy. If he had written that send-off, no doubt he would never let her live it down, so she was actually grateful that he wasn’t the one writing this. She came to the last bit of the letter and made sure she wrote the correct send-off she wanted.

Sincerely,
Twilight Sparkle

Twilight set the quill in the bottle of ink and re-read her letter ten times over. She checked for any and all types of errors, but of course there were none.

She couldn’t help but smile as she read over the line that told of her acceptance. It seemed official to her now. She was actually going to go on an actual date with Princess Luna tomorrow night if everything on Luna’s side was still good and kept her open. The unicorn felt almost an overwhelming joy at what tomorrow night would bring with such a wonderful pony. Twilight looked around, making sure there was no Spike around, for what she was about to do would definitely send him into another fit of laughter. After determining that there was no dragon around, still upstairs probably gorging on ice cream, she hugged herself and squee’d in happiness.

I’m going on a date with Luna! I’m going on a date with Luna!

She chanted the sentence in her mind and it sounded sweeter and sweeter the more it rang through her head. It was so surreal that this was actually happening to her. For the past week, her feelings and thought have tortured and teased with images of Luna, making her go nuts, but now they would finally have release. A date with her Princess Luna was all that ran through her mind now and she absolutely loved it.

A rumbling was heard; Twilight ripped her mind away from Luna to find out where it was coming from. She looked down at her stomach, realizing that her body was telling her that she was hungry as her stomach rumbled again. She hadn’t had breakfast due to her shock of Luna’s presence, but now she was really wishing she hadn’t ran off, at least before she had some oats that Spike had praised Luna of.

I better get something to eat. I’ll have Spike send this later.

With her her decision made and her perfect letter ready for viewing, Twilight left her desk with a big grin across her face. The possible reality that she would be going on a date with Luna was really setting in and all she could do was smile. She set off into the kitchen to satisfy her hunger as she let her mind wander into bliss, unaware that Spike was making his way downstairs.

“Hey Twilight, you down here?”

There was no answer. Spike grabbed his stomach in pain as the ice cream he had consumed earlier was coming back to haunt him. He knew what the consequence was for eating too much, but how could one simply not have too much? Spike viewed ice cream as Celestia’s gift to pony kind; and though he was no pony, there was nothing saying a dragon couldn’t enjoy it as well.

I really need to start listening to her about this ice cream junk.

Spike groaned as he felt a sharp pain shoot through his stomach again.

I really hope she has a spell for this...

Spike slowly made his way down the stairs until he was off the last step. If Twilight was writing that letter, then she had to be at her desk writing it. He made his way to the oaken desk, expecting to see the librarian scribbling away onto a piece of parchment - but was met with an empty desk with no Twilight.

Great...

Spike was already having trouble walking since his stomach kind of bulged out from his earlier consumption and his small stomach was still trying to digest. He was really hoping that she would have been there so she could somehow end his torture. Spike went over to the desk and climbed into the chair. He figured if she hadn’t written the letter yet, she would surely come to do it and no doubt see him in his pain. The dragon saw two pieces of parchment in front of him but didn’t bother even looking at their contents, too engrossed in his self-induced torture.

That’s the last time I eat that much ice cream again.

Spike knew that was a false statement, but he knew it definitely be a long while before he eats that much ice cream again. Stomach pain was by far the worst for him. He would rather have a headache or even hay fever. There had been times he rather endure one of Pinkie’s random songs for an entire day than this.

He let out a long sigh. Spike would simply wait for Twilight and she would help him. She was a lot of things, but not cruel, and she wouldn’t let her number one assistant suffer... hopefully.

Spike looked over back to the two parchments that sat idly on the desk, his curiosity now being piqued. He stretched his neck a bit, careful not to move his body to induce more stomach pain and saw two letters that had been written.

Wait, she already wrote her letter?

Spike didn’t expect Twilight to write it so quickly and promptly, but what else should he have expected? It shouldn’t have been a surprise to him, but he really didn’t want her to actually begin writing it so quickly. Any other time he wouldn’t care - but now that he knew that Twilight was being played right into a lie, he really was hoping she would procrastinate a bit, though it was him who encouraged to write the letter. He was just trying to cover his real emotions and turmoil within him; playing the role of typical Spike. That whole time that he seemed laid back and even being a smartass was all just a cover up. Now that he was seeing this letter, he was really thinking if he should continue covering the truth.

I really should tell her...

But how?

He already promised the princess he wouldn’t and he didn’t really want to know what Luna would do to him if he went against his word, but what about Twilight? Spike felt like he was sacrificing his best friend’s trust just so Luna could save a friendship that she feared to lose. What about his friendship with her? What if this all goes wrong and Twilight learns that he was in on it the whole time? Surely she would be furious with him to say the least, possibly stripping him of being her number one assistant.

But she seemed so happy.

He hadn’t forgotten when Twilight realized that she had fainted before Luna and how. . . broken she looked, until he told her that Luna’s offer of a date was still on. If he told her the truth, then she would return to the same state but even worse, and he never wanted to see Twilight that way.

Spike sighed as he stared at the letters, resigning himself. He didn’t agree with what Luna was doing, he actually loathed it, but if it made Twilight happy then he would deal with it. Luna was an alicorn anyways, she would make it work without hurting Twilight... hopefully.

Spike looked at both letters. They read the exact same thing, everything except the sign off. He failed to really pay attention to it. He was a bit confused that Twilight had decided to write two letters but she did many eerie things, he had simply gotten used to it.

Which one do I send?

He looked back and forth to each of them and with Twilight not able to point to the right one, he was at a loss. He didn’t know which letter to send, but seeing the affectionate sign off on one, he could infer that this was meant for Luna.

What about the other? He studied it some more, confused why the sign off was changed from ‘love’ to ‘sincerely.’ It definitely wasn’t on purpose; he knew that Twilight wouldn’t write two copies of a letter on purpose with just the sign off change. Maybe . . .

Did she mess up?

It was possible. There had been times Twilight have written a single letter multiple times - and being the perfectionist she was, she was always determined to write a letter that was flawless. Then again, it was surprising that it had only taken two drafts to write one of the most important letters of her life so far. He continued eyeing the letter until a sudden idea came to his mind.

Send it to Celestia.

Yes! It was a brilliant idea. Princess Celestia was Twilight’s mentor and Luna’s sister. If she saw this letter, she would surely confront Luna about it and more than likely make Luna divulge her lie. Celestia could stop all this - and what made it better, this whole ordeal would be over before it could begin. It would spare Twilight’s feelings and leave him out of the fire - so to speak.

Brilliant!

With that, he rolled both parchments up and blew out his green fire, sending them away to their recipients.

He could only hope that he was doing the right thing.