• Published 23rd Mar 2018
  • 5,303 Views, 121 Comments

Sunset Shimmer's Sick Day - CapNTilfy



Sunset Shimmer isn't feeling so great. Luckily for her, she has friends to keep her company. Book 1 of "Not Just Any Old Day".

  • ...
5
 121
 5,303

The Night Before

Author's Note:

Hello there! This note was added 1/23/2019.

If you were brought here by The Other Side of the Rainbow, I want to thank you for your willingness to read my other stories! I ask that you bear with me, because this story is the first story I've ever written.

I hope you enjoy!

"I'm heading out!" Sunset called over to her boss. Another day done and over, she thought to herself. Today had been an unusually busy day. Maybe Rarity decided that the next big thing was sushi and I missed her on-trend report. She punched out then changed from her work uniform into her regular clothes and left the restaurant.

The mall was empty, save for a few people closing up shop and patrons who were just leaving. In the distance, the music of Sapphire Shores was playing. The Crystal Rainbooms' Dance Magic music video had had its run in the mall and was just recently replaced. That didn't stop Rainbow Dash from convincing the staff to let her keep it so she could talk about it and show it at parties.

Sunset made her way out of the mall and towards the parking lot. She breathed in the fresh air, glad to be away from the smell of fish and seaweed. Thank Celestia those scents haven't permeated my clothes and skin. Her thoughts were interrupted by a car's horn being honked. She snapped out of it and spotted a white and lavender compact car adorned with flowers a few feet away from her.

"Thanks for picking me up, Fluttershy." Sunset said as she got in the car and buckled up.

Fluttershy looked at Sunset with a warm smile on her face. "Happy to help!" She said, and started the car up. The two friends sat in companionable silence for a few moments, then Fluttershy spoke. "So...how was work?" She asked.

Sunset sighed. "Way busier than I'm used to. I get the feeling I'm going to sleep well tonight."

Fluttershy giggled. "Oh, I know that feeling." she replied. "Sometimes I have to work with an unruly dog, or a poor kitty that's scared half to death because it's not in an environment it recognizes." She frowned. "I always feel bad for the poor dears, so I treat them as gently as possible." Sunset gave Fluttershy a sympathetic look, then her smile returned. "Seeing the animals and their owners happy makes it all worthwhile." she said. Sunset nodded in agreement. A few minutes later, they arrived at Sunset's apartment. Sunset unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car.

"Thanks again for the ride!" Sunset said.

Fluttershy smiled. "Don't mention it." She said, and drove away.

Opening the door to her apartment, Sunset breathed a sigh of relief. "Ahh, good to finally be home." She said to herself as she turned on the lights."And how's my little ray of sunshine?" She asked as she made her way to Ray's cage. Ray looked up at Sunset and gave her what she assumed was the reptilian equivalent of a smile. She fed him his dinner and headed towards the bathroom.

After running the shower water and stripping all of her clothes off, she entered and let her thoughts drift as the hot water fell on her body. Things just seem to get better and better, she thought to herself with a smile. I have many amazing friends, CHS finally understands that I've changed, and I even reconciled with Princess Celestia! The incident with the Memory Stone still fresh in her mind, she grabbed a washcloth and lathered it up with soap. Me, Twilight Sparkle, Gloriosa Daisy, Juniper Montage and most recently Wallflower Blush...huh. I wonder why a male from this world hasn't tried to wield Equestrian Magic? Eh, I'm probably thinking too hard. I know I told Starlight that I wouldn't obsess over future threats, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be prepared. She finished scrubbing and rinsing her body off and began to get her hair wet. At least I have tomorrow off. I could use some relaxation and an uneventful day. Her eyes shot open as she had a realization. And I probably just tempted fate there. She rolled her eyes as she grabbed some shampoo and scrubbed away. Take things as they come, Sunset. Take things as they come. Finished, she shut off the water and dried herself off.

Climbing up the stairs to get to her bed, Sunset made a mental note to ask Applejack to install a guard rail. Even though she had lived there for years, Sunset didn't feel entirely safe walking up and down them. As she passed each of the guitars that she hung on the wall, she ran her fingers through the strings, strumming a chord on them as she ascended. "Ahh, music to my ears." She said with a smile on her face.

As she reached the top of the stairs, Sunset checked her alarm clock to make sure it wouldn't go off unexpectedly. Many times it had startled her awake on her days off, and once she even threw it down the stairs as hard as she could. It was nothing short of a miracle that the clock stayed intact. Satisfied, she went to her dresser, put on her pajamas and laid in bed.

She stared up at the ceiling, enjoying the silence after her busy day. Every now and then a car would pass by, but Sunset didn't mind. A little background noise was just fine. After a few minutes, she yawned and stretched. Feeling her eyelids get heavy, she turned off the lights and slowly drifted off to sleep.

Sunset suddenly found herself sitting at a small table in a room that seemed to be a fusion of her classroom from Magic Kindergarten back in Equestria and Principal Celestia's office from Canterlot High.Confused, she blinked. "What the-" She cut herself off. "Oh right, this is a dream." She felt someone tap her shoulder. Nearly startled out of her chair, Sunset turned to see both Princess Celestia and Principal Celestia. Before Sunset had time to process what she was seeing, she snapped awake.

"What in the hell..." Sunset looked at her clock. It read 1:15. She sighed and rolled her eyes. "Why do all the good dreams end so-" Before she could say another word, an almost overwhelming wave of nausea hit her.