• Published 20th Mar 2018
  • 4,578 Views, 56 Comments

The Best Poker Face - Chemtest

  • ...
38
 56
 4,578

Black and White

Slenderman wanders through the Everfree, intent upon finding out what has changed.

As he walks through a clearing, a howl sounds out from behind him.

He turns around, and sees a Timberwolf run through the trees. He steps back, “No... it is improbable.”

The Timberwolf rushes up to him, and starts to rub it’s head against his leg.

Slenderman laughs, and kneels down to hug the Timberwolf, “Woody! You’re still alive!” He moves his head back, and examines Woody, “What happened to you? Celestia didn’t place a curse against you, right?”

The Timberwolf touches it’s forehead to Slenderman’s, and they communicate.

“A Necromancer named Vogrim. Performed experiments on the others to find eternal life. I tried to stop him, but just had that same experimentation done against me. I now exist within all Timberwolves, for there are thousands of us. My soul kept trapped within the Everfree’s magic, unable to escape.”

Slenderman sighs, “What about the others? Rocky? Manny? Eric?”

“Rocky is still alive. He was encased in rock, and now has his own soul bound to that rock. He has become a cragidile. Manny was forced into merging with a dragon and scorpion. His children live on as manticores. Eric became a monstrosity of what he used to be. His body grew massive, his scales grew harder, and heads grew out of him. He died long ago, yet his child still wanders around. Ponies call him a hydra.”

Slender nods, “Vogrim, where is he?”

“Gone. I killed him. Ripped out his throat, and mauled everything I could. His limbs still live, and he will come back if anyone can ever reassemble him. But his limbs are hidden around Equestria. Some in realms that are impossible to reach. The Dream Realm, the Digital Realm, and his head is stashed in the greatest city of Tartarus.” Woody looks up to Slenderman, and their telepathic link lasts for a few more seconds, “I am the keeper of him. I must return to it lest one of them go missing. Goodbye, master, we may never meet again.”

Slenderman stands up, and reaches into his suit. He takes out a rubber ball, and slowly hands it to Woody, “I kept this, for all one thousand years. Just so if I was conscious, I would know you were still with me.” He drops it in front of him, and slowly turns around, “You’ve found your destiny, such is obvious. I still search for mine. But this a new world, a millennium hopefully better than the last. I must detach myself from the past... and look forward.” A single damp spot appears on his face, and he starts to walk away, “Goodbye, Woody.”

Now you see... love hurts so much, doesn’t it? It feels like a part of you is gone. You don’t feel that with fear... you’ll never feel loss when you loathe.

Slender doesn’t even try to fight back. He just continues walking through the forest, not daring to take a single look back.

It feels like your heart has been ripped out, doesn’t it? As if nothing matters anymore because your friend, the one you loved and held so dearly, is gone. You’ll never get that with an enemy. Everything feels so much better when you hate and kill.

His pace increases to a jog, not offering a single defense.

Imagine how good it would feel to kill Vogrim. Now think if that could be everyday. Filled with the satisfaction and happiness you deserve. All from only a single pony, dead on the ground. And then another. Until you have no more enemies because nobody dares to mess with you.

His jog increases to a run, speeding by trees like a bullet.

You know you can kill her. Even now, in this weakened state, she is no match for you. So why not let your tendrils free? Why not do what you know you can? She deserves it after all. She’s the one who locked you away from saving them. She made it so you couldn’t help. She did this.

More and more damp spots appear on his face, for he knows the true Slenderman is right.

It could never happen again. The ponies all worship her, they could worship you. You’d never be too late, never be trapped away from them. You know that hate fills your heart. Rage, loathing, a need for revenge! A need for fear! You could become the most powerful being on Equestria! You could kill every enemy permanently! Revenge, power, satisfaction! Your heart shall hurt no more!

He is suddenly stopped from a mysterious voice.

“You seem troubled by the thoughts in your head. Maybe a friend that is gone, maybe a voice chanting for others to be dead. All I can tell is that you’re a creature of sense. At least, your colors are quite common sense.”

He looks over, and sees a zebra meditating in the middle of a clearing.

She smiles at him, “Another who is black and white. There are not that many, so it is quite a sight.” She nods, “I am Zecora, monk of the Everfree. And it is quite clear that you need me.”

Slender stares at her a bit more, yet doesn’t hear the voice inside anymore. He slowly nods, “How?”

Zecora scoots to the side, “Come and meditate, and maybe in a vision you’ll find your fate.”

He slowly moves to sit cross legged beside her, and begins to take deep breaths.