• Published 21st Mar 2018
  • 4,213 Views, 727 Comments

Duelists of the Friendship Cup - DrakeyC



Friendship Games is retold, but with less academics and athletics and more card games.

  • ...
9
 727
 4,213

Dedication Through Light and Darkness – Sunset vs Twilight (Part 2)

Duelists of the Friendship Cup

Dedication Through Light and Darkness – Sunset vs Twilight (Part 2)

-Sunset Life Points: 3600-

-Twilight Life Points: 7000-

“Sunset!” Twilight called out her opponent’s name. Sunset, eyes glowing red, stared back at her with a small smirk, before extending a hand towards her field.

“Since I just Special Summoned a Harmony Guardian monster, the effects of Magnanimity and Magia activate in sequence. I place the Spell card Harmony Academy on top of my deck and then draw a card.” Magia held out a hand and projected an aura of energy around Sunset’s card, and Magnanimity added her own energy and levitated it to Sunset’s hand.

“Well, how about that? I drew Harmony Academy.” She folded her arms. “That’s all from me. Your turn, Twilight.”

“My turn?” Twilight’s eyes widened. “What’s going on? What’s wrong with your eyes?”

Rainbow looked between the two duelists on the field. “How is Twilight seeing her eyes? I thought only we can see them!”

“I’d rather not see them, thank you.” Rarity shuddered, prompting Applejack to put a hand on her shoulder.

“Nothing’s wrong with me at all, Twilight,” Sunset said coolly. “Make your move.”

Twilight turned her head. “Principal Sombra!”

With his eyes still locked on Sunset, Sombra hesitated before looking back at Twilight. “You heard her, Twilight.”

“But, you can see this, can’t you?”

Celestia followed Twilight’s gaze to Sombra. “Principal Sombra, what are they talking about?”

Sombra closed his eyes and breathed deeply. He reached over to take the microphone in front of Hope and lifted it towards him. “My apologies, Celestia, observing students. I am sure it is no secret that duelists can fall victim to dramatics in the heat of a game. While Miss Shimmer’s duel disk seems to be having some sort of malfunction that is distorting Twilight’s view, it does not seem to have interfered with her ability to play, so I would suggest this duel continue without any further undue interruptions.”

Continue?” Twilight shrieked.

Sombra lowered the microphone and nodded.

Twilight turned forward and reached to her duel disk. “I… draw.” She picked up her card and then reached to her duel disk screen. “I activate Judgment Dragon’s effect. I pay a thousand Life Points and destroy all other cards on the field.”

-Twilight Life Points: 6000-

Judgment Dragon opened its jaws and began to summon light between them.

“I don’t think so.” Sunset lifted a hand and snapped her fingers. Infernal Ariette twirled her trident and charged forward. “Since Harmony cards on my side of the field are about to be destroyed by your card effect, the effect of Infernal Ariette activates. I can banish Ariette until the end of the turn, and your destruction effect is negated and your card destroyed.”

Ariette reached Judgment Dragon and stabbed her trident through the monster’s neck. Judgment Dragon’s body convulsed and exploded in a flash of purple light.

Twilight let out a small huff. “You were waiting for me to do that. You played the exact card you needed to counter my dragon’s effect and then let me try to use it.”

“You are smart,” Sunset snickered.

Twilight’s hand, shaking at her side, clenched into a fist. She narrowed her eyes. “You’ve never had that card before. How did you get it?”

“And how would you know what cards I have, Twilight?”

Twilight’s breath caught in her throat. She blinked rapidly. “I…”

“Twilight!” Sombra’s voice made Twilight turn her head his way. He shook his head. “If you want the chance to prove yourself against her, this is the time.”

“She—”

“Is not giving up. I would advise that you do the same.” Sombra gave her a stern look and a firm nod.

“…Very well.” Twilight closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “I’m not out of this yet.” She opened her eyes again and held up the card in her hand. “I activate the Spell card ‘Charge of the Light Brigade’. I send three cards from the top of my deck to the Graveyard and add a Level 4 Lightsworn monster from my deck to my hand.”

As Twilight’s cards retracted into her duel disk, she saw her screen blink; she let out a breath. “I got it…” She tapped the displayed prompt and a card ejected from her deck. “I take ‘Minerva, Lightsworn Maiden’ into my hand.”

Twilight’s Graveyard light up white. “When I activated Charge of the Light Brigade, I sent Wulf, Lightsworn Beast, to the Graveyard. I can now Special Summon him, and I then Normal Summon Minerva.”

Two portals opened in front of Twilight. From the left a wolf-like warrior rose from it, the head of his club on the ground with his paws on the handle. From the right came a small, frail woman with white robes and bright red hair, an owl perched on her shoulder (800/200).

“I activate Minerva’s effect.” Twilight looked at her duel disk and swiped through a display of her cards. “When I summon her I can add a Light-attribute Dragon monster from my deck to my hand whose Level is equal or less than the number of Lightsworn monsters in my Graveyard.” Her card ejected into her fingers. “I’ll take another copy of Judgment Dragon into my hand.”

-Twilight’s deck: 8 cards-

Twilight looked between her two monsters. “Next, I tune my Level 3 Minerva with my Level 4 Wulf!” Minerva split into green rings that encircled Wulf, spinning. “I bind together my two Lightsworn, and call forth from my Extra Deck this monster!” Twilight drew her card from her duel disk and put it on the card tray, the card lighting up. “I Synchro Summon ‘Michael the Arch-Lightsworn’!”

A portal appeared in the air above Twilight. A large white dragon flew out of it, a knight in silver and gold armor on its back. The dragon landed in front of Twilight and roared, the knight thrusting his sword into the air (2600/2000).

“I activate Michael the Arch-Lightsworn’s effect! I pay a thousand Life Points to banish one card on the field.” Twilight pointed. “I choose Harmony Guardian Magnanimity.” Michael’s sword lit up in a bright white aura and he swung it down, sending an orb of light shooting across the field. Magnanimity lit up in light and exploded as the orb hit her.

“Next, Michael attacks Harmony Guardian Magia!” Michael’s dragon opened its mouth and fired a beam of white energy. The beam lanced through Magia and she exploded.

Twilight took a breath. “I end my turn by sending three cards from the top of my deck to the Graveyard due to the effect of Michael the Arch-Lightsworn.”

Sunset’s eyes flashed red. “And during the end phase, my Harmony Guardian Infernal Ariette returns to the field.” The ground in front of Sunset cracked apart in rays of purple light, and Ariette rose up in front of her, her trident over her shoulder.

-Sunset Life Points: 3600-

-Twilight Life Points: 5000-

-Twilight’s deck: 5 cards-

“My turn again.” Sunset drew and held her hand out towards the monster beside her. “I activate the Pendulum effect of Harmony Guardian Compassio. When my other Pendulum Zone is empty, Compassio places a Harmony Guardian monster in the Graveyard or face-up in the Extra Deck in that Pendulum Zone, but its effects are negated until the next turn. I’ll bring back my Harmony Guardian Magia.” A column of purple light shone down beside Sunset, Magia floating down within it.

“I call on the power of the monsters in my Pendulum Zones. Using the Scale 3 Harmony Guardian Compassio and the Scale 5 Harmony Guardian Magia, I Pendulum Summon!” Sunset smirked and looked up at the summoning portal conjuring between her two monsters. “Come forth, my monster servants! Harmony Guardian Gracia and Harmony Guardian Infernal Juniperus, I summon you!” Streaks of yellow and blue light shot out of the portal and impacted her field, revealing her monsters standing tall.

Sunset thrust her hand out. “I overlay Gracia and Juniperus! Using my two Level 4 monsters, I construct the overlay network!”

Twilight grit her teeth. “That too?”

A black vortex appeared in front of Sunset, drawing Gracia and Juniperus into it in auras of yellow and teal light. “I unite the spirits of the guardian of kindness and the fallen guardian of inspiration, and open the dimensional gates to call on the liveliest of dark musicians!” Sunset put her hand over her deck and a card emerged from the Extra Deck in sparks of red light.

“Xyz Summon!” Sunset drew the card and swung it onto her duel disk. “Awaken, Rank 4, ‘Harmony Guardian Infernal Sonare'!”

Pale blue lightning crackled from the vortex as Sunset’s monster floated out of it, clad in bright blue and pink armor with bands of dark blue metal around her gauntlets and boots. A red gemstone gleamed on her breastplate and two orbs of blue light orbited her. She grinned and held out her hands, summoning a pair of curved daggers with streaks of pink light shooting along the bladed edges (1500/2400).

Sunset held up a card in her hand, her fingers and the card lighting up red as she spoke. “I equip Ariette with the Equip Spell ‘Harmony Necklace’. This card increases the attack power of Ariette by five hundred points.” Ariette looked down as a shield emblem with six jewels surrounding a star appeared on her neck, hanging by a chain.

“And now, Ariette, destroy her monster!”

Ariette (2300 → 2800) grinned and charged forward, sparks of energy coursing along her trident. She leapt into the air and stabbed down, the trident piercing Michael’s armor and digging into the neck of the dragon. Michael shattered in sparks of purple light, and as Ariette leapt away the dragon beneath the two did the same.

-Twilight Life Points: 4800-

“I activate Michael’s special ability!” Twilight called. “When he’s destroyed, I can shuffle any number of Lightsworn monsters in my Graveyard into my deck, and I recover three hundred Life Points for each.” Her duel disk glowed white as she tapped her screen and the cards in her Graveyard began to retract. “I take back ten Lightsworn monsters.” Twilight’s body glowed the same light as her duel disk. “That gets me back ten cards and three thousand Life Points.”

-Twilight Life Points: 7800-

“You won’t be keeping them for long!” Sunset laughed and pointed, her hair billowing in the air. “Infernal Sonare, direct attack!” Sonare grinned and charged, her daggers held out to the side. She stopped in front of Twilight and flipped into the air, bringing her daggers up in a criss-crossing, spiralling slice.

-Twilight Life Points: 6300-

-Twilight’s deck: 15 cards-

“I end my turn.”

“And I begin mine.” Twilight growled and drew. “I still have enough Lightsworn cards in my Graveyard for this! I bind together four of them with different names, and once again Special Summon Judgment Dragon to the field!” The clouds above Twilight split apart and another copy of her dragon flew onto the field, landing behind her.

Sunset sneered. “And will you try to use its effect?”

“I’m not stupid,” Twilight replied. “You’ll just use Ariette’s effect to counter it. But there are other ways to clear the field. Judgment Dragon, attack Infernal Ariette!” Judgment Dragon opened its jaws and summoned particles of light between them. “Once she’s destroyed in battle, the rest of your field is defenseless from Judgment Dragon’s ability!”

Sunset gasped in faux horror. “What an unexpected and insightful strategy! Too bad you didn’t account for Sonare’s effect. When you declare an attack, I can detach an Xyz material from Sonare to negate your attack and instantly end the battle phase.”

One of the balls of light orbiting Sonare was absorbed into the gem on its chest. Sonare held her hands over it and generated a field of blue energy. The energy expanded to encompass Sunset’s field, creating a dome of blue light. Judgment Dragon fired its attack and the stream of light energy washed over the barrier.

Twilight frowned and looked away. “Fine then. I discard four cards from the top of my deck for Judgment Dragon’s effect, and end my turn.”

“Good.” Sunset drew with a smirk. “I think it’s time to end this.” She reached to her hand and held out a card. “I activate the Spell card Harmony Jewel. I return a Harmony Guardian monster on the field to the Extra Deck and draw a card. I’ll get rid of the Harmony Guardian Magia in my Pendulum Zone.” Magia broke apart into pieces as Sunset drew.

“Next, to replace Magia, I activate ‘Harmony Guardian Infernal Bellis’ in the Pendulum Zone.” The column of light that appeared next to Sunset was a deep green this time. Rising inside it was a warrior in dark green armor with red details curling along the edges of her armor. A scythe with a glowing blue-green blade was strapped to her back.

“I call on the power of the monsters in my Pendulum Zones. Using the Scale 3 Harmony Guardian Compassion and the Scale 9 Harmony Guardian Infernal Bellis, I Pendulum Summon!” Sunset looked up at the summoning portal above her. “I summon Harmony Guardian Risus from the hand, and Harmony Guardian Magia and Harmony Guardian Infernal Juniperus from the Extra Deck!”

Her five monsters in a row in front of her, Sunset spread her arms, her eyes crackling red. “And now, Twilight, would you like to have a guess as to what Bellis lets me do?” As Twilight opened her mouth, Sunset cut her off. “You know what, let’s just cut to the chase and show you! I activate Harmony Guardian Infernal Bellis’ special ability! Using it and Harmony Guardian Infernal Juniperus, I conduct a Fusion Summon!”

A purple portal behind Sunset began to spin as her two monsters leapt into it. “I combine the spirits of the fallen guardian of nature and the fallen guardian of inspiration, and open the dimensional gates to call on the greatest of dark musicians!” Sunset drew her card from her duel disk and held it up.

“Fusion Summon! Awaken, Level 8, ‘Harmony Guardian Infernal Adagium’!”

Orange rays of light shone from cracks in the ground in front of Sunset, and the dirt exploded out as her newest monster leapt into the air. A suit of deep purple armor covered the warrior woman’s torso, spikes on the shoulders, boots, and gauntlets. A red gemstone glowed in the warrior’s breastplate. Long orange hair blew in the air behind it, streaming from a horned helmet. The warrior reached to her waist and swung out a massive mace, spikes emerging from it and crackling with energy (2100/1200).

Twilight frowned. “I presume at this point, Adagium has some effect that will destroy my Judgment Dragon?”

Sunset sneered. “You think you’re so clever, don’t you? No, it doesn’t.” She swept a hand towards her middle monster and jabbed her finger next to Twilight. “Harmony Guardian Infernal Ariette, attack Judgment Dragon!”

Ariette coiled her legs and charged, holding up her trident. Judgment Dragon looked down at her and lifted a paw to stomp on her; the warrior’s armor crumpled as its wearer dispersed into purple light.

-Sunset Life Points: 3500-

“What did you do that for?” Twilight asked.

“Watch and you might learn something.” Sunset held her hand up. The image of Ariette’s trident appeared floating in the air, glowing purple. “When Harmony Guardian Infernal Ariette is destroyed as a monster, I can place her in my empty Pendulum zone.” The ghostly image of Ariette appeared behind her weapon and took hold of it, solidifying in a flash of light.

Sunset leaned forward. “And now that she’s in the Pendulum zone, her Pendulum effect is active. For every Harmony Guardian I control, including the ones in the Pendulum zones, my Harmony Guardians gain two hundred attack points. With Compassio and Ariette in the Pendulum Zones, and four Harmony Guardian monsters in play on my field, they all get a twelve hundred point bonus.”

Ariette held out its trident. Tendrils of purple energy shot out from it, striking the backs of Gracia, Magia, Sonare, and Adagium; a fifth wrapped around the ankle of Compassio.

Twilight grimaced. “A minute ago, you were lecturing me on how a real duelist doesn’t treat her cards like that.”

“What can I say? Considering it’s gonna be the move that shuts you up, I’d say it’s an acceptable cost!” Sunset gave a cruel laugh, the light in her eyes pulsing. “Harmony Guardian Infernal Adagium, attack and destroy Judgment Dragon!”

Adagium (2100 → 3300) ran forward and leapt into the air. Her mace glowed with orange energy, sparks flying between the spikes. She descended and slammed the head into the skull of Judgment Dragon. The dragon convulsed and exploded in rays of orange light.

Sunset chuckled as Adagium lowered beside her. “When Adagium destroys a monster in battle, her effect activates. The defense points of your destroyed monster are dealt to you as damage!” Adagium smirked and held out her mace, shooting a beam of orange light across the field.

The blast hit Twilight and she cried out and stumbled back, clutching a hand to her chest. “W-what?”

-Twilight Life Points: 3400-

“Well, looks like there’s no monsters left in play on your side of the field,” Sunset called. “I’d say this is the beginning of the end, but that was already true three turns ago.”

Twilight raised her head, wincing. “Sunset, w-wait…”

“No thanks. Harmony Guardian Infernal Sonare, direct attack!”

Sonare (1500 → 2700) jumped in the air, daggers raised. She flung them forward, the blades glowing bright blue. They shot through Twilight and she gasped and fell to a knee.

-Twilight Life Points: 700-

“One more attack and this is over.” Sunset chuckled. “And I have the perfect card to finish you.” She thrust her hand forward. “Harmony Guardian Magia, attack Twilight Sparkle directly!”

Magia floated up into the air and held up her staff. A large orb of purple energy began to pulse and spark along the tip.

Twilight lifted her head and looked up at the monster. “Sunset…”

Glowing red eyes staring unflinching, Sunset turned her hand over and snapped her fingers.

Magia twirled its staff and snapped it down, firing the magical orb at Twilight. The orb hit the ground in front of her and exploded in rays of light. Twilight screamed as she was sent flying backwards from the blast. She hit the grass heavily and rolled, her cards flying from her duel disk and scattering behind her.

Sunset’s hair fluttering in the air fell to her shoulders, and the red light in her eyes faded.

“I win.”

-Twilight Life Points: 0-

Sunset blinked and gasped. She slumped forward, stumbling to stay upright, and put a hand to her head. The holograms of her monsters faded before her.

On the sidelines, Hope covered the microphone and cleared her throat, then took her hand back. “The winner of the final duel of the day is Canterlot High’s Sunset Shimmer!”

Sunset blinked as the CHS crowd began to cheer. She looked up to see Twilight on her stomach, not moving. “Twilight?”

“The final three rounds of the tournament will begin at 10 am tomorrow. Registered duelists are requested to be here by that time.”

As Sunset watched the motionless body of her opponent, five girls clustered around her and obscured her view.

“That was awesome!” Rainbow put an arm around Sunset and shook her, grinning widely. “You kicked butt.”

“Not the words I’d use…” Rarity said quietly.

Sunset looked at her. “What do you mean?”

“You were scary!” Pinkie cried. “The red eyes and the sneering and the ‘grr-arg’ stuff.”

“I…” Sunset held her head and closed her eyes. “I remember I wanted to try and tap into my magic again… I drew a card, and…” She looked down at her duel disk and the three new cards there. “Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz?”

“Yup.” Applejack nodded. “Was something alright.”

Sunset picked up her three cards and read them. Her eyes widened. “These cards…” Infernal…

She pushed her way through the group and looked across the field. The other Crystal Prep duelists were standing around Twilight, and Shining Armor was kneeling beside her with a hand on her back.

Sunset’s hand shook, her cards slipping from her fingers and floating to the grass.

I did this…

“Sunset?” Fluttershy’s voice cut through her thoughts. “Are you okay?”

Sunset turned and ran across the field towards the school.


“Easy, Twily.” Shining Armor put her arm around his shoulder. “Come on, let’s go.” Twilight whimpered as he stood, bringing her to her feet with him.

“I…” Twilight blinked and reached up to her head to remove her glasses. The eyewear was bent, and one of the lenses had cracked. “That hurt.”

“Stop being a drama queen,” Sugarcoat muttered. “It’s just the feedback system in the duel disks. They put out—”

“I know how duel disks work!” Twilight gasped. She shook her head. “That was different. That hurt.”

“You’ve said before you don’t duel.” Sunny Flare shrugged. “Perhaps you’re just not used to it.”

“No… this…” Twilight winced. “And those eyes… I’ve never seen anything like that.”

“Yeah, she’s got pretty eyes. Nice legs, too.” The others glared at Indigo Zap. “What?”

“You didn’t see it?” Twilight looked between them. “Her eyes were glowing! Bright red!” The others looked at her blankly. Twilight’s jaw dropped. “None of you saw it!?”

“Girls.” The crowd turned as Hope approached them. “If you’d like a ride back to Crystal Prep, the limousine will provide one. Otherwise you are all free to go home.”

“Vice-principal Hope!” Twilight stepped forward, taking her arm from Shining Armor. “I need to speak to Principal Sombra, please.”

Hope shook her head. “Principal Sombra had to depart to take care of administrative duties. I’ll be taking the seven of you back to the school. He’ll be here tomorrow if you need him.”

“B-but…”

“Twily, let it go.” Shining Armor put a hand on her shoulder. “Come on, you’ve had a big day.”

Twilight closed her eyes and nodded. She heard the group begin to walk forward and let her feet follow them, stumbling slightly. She looked down at her broken glasses and carefully put them back on, the cracked lenses crooked in front of her eye.


Sunset coughed and let the cold water run down her face and drip into the sink. She cupped her hands under the faucet and splashed herself again. She sucked in a breath.

Sunset shut off the faucet and reached up to the paper towel dispenser on the wall, grabbing a sheet and holding it to her face. She wiped herself off and turned to lean against the sink, staring down at her boots.

My magic… She gripped the edge of the sink tightly. I should have known what it would do… why did I do it?

You did it because you wanted to win. You wanted to keep your school’s hope alive.

I didn’t want to hurt anyone!

Then you should have played better, then you wouldn’t have needed your magic at all.

I did the best I could!

And it wasn’t enough. You weren’t enough.

Sunset closed her eyes. “Twilight could have done it. She could have used her magic safely. She could have won without hurting the other Twilight.”

But Twilight isn’t here. You are.

And I’m not enough.

Then become better.

How?

Sunset’s brain didn’t have an answer for that.

After a long period of silence, she stood up and walked out of the bathroom. She shoved her hands in her pockets and began to walk down the hall, watching the tiles pass under her feet.

I guess an apology wouldn’t help much. ‘Hey, sorry I used my forbidden magic on you to cheat and win the duel. Didn’t mean to hurt you though’. She frowned. Something doesn’t add up, though. How does Twilight know about my cards? And what’s her deal with me? She seems to hate me. What’s going on?

“Sunset Shimmer.”

Sunset raised her head.

And stopped.

One hand holding open a door to a classroom, the other gesturing her inside it, Sombra smiled at her.

“I believe you and I should have a talk.”

Author's Note:

Find Sunset's decklist here