• Published 15th Mar 2018
  • 1,439 Views, 72 Comments

Moving Forward - RuinQueenofOblivion



After graduating from high school with her friends, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are getting ready for their wedding in a month. However, there are still more surprises to come before they can get their happily ever after.

  • ...
3
 72
 1,439

Mistakes

Rainbow stretched out a little, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were off with Storm who had a check-up today and Fluttershy was with her animals so Rainbow had the whole house to herself right now. She figured she could get a quick snack before she had to go work out the weather schedule with the rest of the weather team.

She smiled a little as she picked up a picture of her and Scootaloo when she was younger. She had surprised her that day with a trip to the newly opened amusement park in Cloudsdale, it was the last summer before Scootaloo had started high school before all of this had started.

She smiled at the memory as she put her hoof over the picture of her and the younger Pegasus. She had wanted so badly to tell her the truth back then, maybe if she had then things would've gone differently. Not that it really mattered, she loved her granddaughter, and she knew that everything had happened the way it should have.

Still, she had to wonder what might've happened if things had been different. She set it down and picked up another picture, this one had been taken a few days after Storm Chaser had been brought home, it was of the five of them, her, Scootaloo, Storm, Fluttershy, and Sweetie Belle together.

As a family.

That was all she really needed to know.

She was about to head into the kitchen when she heard a knock at the door. She got up and answered it and was surprised to see Traveler standing there. "Oh, uh, hi Traveler, I didn't expect to see you here so soon," she said. "Can I help you with something?"

"Rainbow, I, just wanted to talk about some things," Traveler said as he rubbed the back of his head a little and looked at Rainbow nervously. "Can I come in?"

"I, guess," Rainbow said as she held the door open for the stallion to enter.

"You really do have a nice place," Traveler said as he entered the cloud house and looked around. "Look, I've had a chance to talk with Holiday and Lofty, they told me a bit more about what's been going on. I'm, really sorry that I wasn't there for you like I should have been."

Rainbow sighed a little as she looked away from him. "Neither of us was really there for Scootaloo when we should have been," she admitted sadly. "I should've raised her from the beginning. But, well, I didn't think I was ready to be a mom."

"What changed?

"Scootaloo got pregnant, I knew I couldn't let her go it alone, so I did everything I could to help, including taking her in," Rainbow said and shook her head. "Still, kinda feels weird now that she's going to be moving out again. I'm sorry, I'm going on about myself, what did you want to talk about?"

"It may be hard to believe, but I wanted to make up for what I did to you and Scootaloo in the past," Traveler said with a shake of his head. "I've made a lot of mistakes and hurt ponies, so I wanted to try and make amends for what I've done. I know that leaving you as I did probably isn't forgivable, but I wanted to at least try and reach out to you. If there's anything I can do to make up for it, just let me know."

Rainbow paused a moment, she wasn't that surprised but still, it was weird to actually hear him say it. She had been a little bitter about it for a while, but she had never really decided what to do if he ever came back, she sighed a little and looked at him and then back out the window for a moment.

"I don't know if I'm in any position to forgive you," she finally said. "Even if you weren't ready to be a father, I wasn't ready to be a mother either. Maybe we both have a lot to make up for, but for right now just let me think about it okay?"

"Okay," Traveler said as he let out a sigh and shook his head a little. "I don't blame you really, but I'll be in town a few more days if you change your mind and want to talk more."

Rainbow nodded as he headed out. She sighed a little and watched him go before she looked out the window towards where Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle had left for.

Scootaloo had forgiven her, should she do the same for Traveler? She sighed a little, she still had a lot to think about right now, and she had to make sure that she made the right decision.

If she didn't, maybe she wasn't much of a mother after all.

00000

"Well, looks like you're a healthy little filly," Nurse Redheart said as she finished checking over Storm Chaser's physical exam results. "So, she's flying now you said?"

"A little bit yeah," Scootaloo said with a nod.

"Good, good, we weren't sure if she would be given your, uh, condition," Redheart said with a shake of her head. "But she's going to be just fine."

"Okay good," Scootaloo said with a smile as they finished up and headed out of the room together and down the hall to where Sweetie Belle was waiting for them.

"What's the word?" Sweetie asked as she looked up at the two.

"She's fine," Scootaloo said with a nod as she ruffled her daughter's mane lightly. "Sorry that you had to sit in the waiting room."

"It's fine, don't worry about it," Sweetie said with a nod as they started out. "So, we've still got time before we have to meet up with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon again, what do you want to do Stormy?"

Storm looked between her two moms and had a cute thoughtful look on her face. "Ice Cream!"

"Well, you were good for the Doctor so I'd say you've earned a little treat," Scootaloo said with a chuckle as they started towards Sugarcube corner. "What kind of ice cream do you want?"

"Chocolate," Storm said with a giggle as they entered the building where Pinkie was working behind the counter.

"Hey, you three!" The excited Earth Pony mare said with a big smile as she saw them come inside. "What can I get for you?"

"Three chocolate ice cream cones," Scootaloo said as she looked at Sweetie Belle who nodded in agreement and they took a seat at one of the tables.

Scootaloo smiled as she placed her hoof on Sweetie Belle's and they looked at Storm who was propped up so she could get to the table easily. It had been a tough couple of years, but Sweetie and her family had helped her through it no matter what.

Now they were about to make the biggest step of their life and become a family. Scootaloo couldn't help but wonder what the future might hold for them now, after all, they still had many things to do. What would Storm be like when she grew up? What did the future hold for all of them?

"Hey, Auntie Holiday!" Storm said as she waved at a familiar peach colored mare who had come into Sugarcube Corner. Holiday smiled and waved back at her as she picked up her order from the counter and headed over to the table.

"Hey you three," Holiday said with a smile as Pinkie came over with their order. "How are things going with you?"

"Pretty good," Scootaloo said with a nod. "Stormy here finally flew earlier, so we're kind of celebrating after taking her to the doctor's office. Not really anything else going on."

"That's good," Holiday said and gave Storm a smile as she ruffled the filly's mane gently. "I'm glad to hear you're flying Stormy, Wintergreen is taking lessons from your great aunt Lofty, maybe you can do the same when you're older."

"Can I?" Storm asked as she looked up at her mom.

"Maybe, we'll see," Scootaloo said with a chuckle.

"Oh come on, we'll charge you only half price, family discount," Holiday said with a laugh which just made the three younger ponies chuckle lightly. "So, how goes the wedding planning?"

"I never realized how much work goes into it," Sweetie Belle said with a shake of her head. "And I still have to write my vows, this is going to take forever..."

"Don't worry Sweetie, just make sure that whatever you say comes from your heart," Holiday said with a smile as she gave her a nod. "You two have something special, I'm glad after everything that happened Scootaloo was able to find such a wonderful pony."

"Me too," Scootaloo said as she gently placed her hoof on Sweetie's. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

Sweetie just smiled and nodded a little as they shared a kiss. Holiday smiled a little as she looked out the window and saw Traveler walking past, though he didn't stop.

She sighed a little, she hadn't talked with her brother in years before he had shown up at the graduation party. They had seen each other on occasion at family events, but they had never said anything to one another. She honestly had always been angry at him about what had happened with Rainbow Dash, and normally he didn't seem to even care about reconnecting with his sister.

At least until when he came to visit her and Lofty. He had met the foals for the first time and he actually seemed to do pretty well with them. She sometimes wondered what it might've been like if he had actually stayed. At the same time though, maybe things worked out for the best.

She shook her head, there was not really any point on dwelling on this kind of thing.

"Is everything okay Aunt Holiday?" Scootaloo asked as she looked at the Earth Pony mare.

"Everything's fine Scootaloo," Holiday said with a soft smile. "You know, you haven't met your father's side of the family yet, well other than me and Lofty. Maybe, you wouldn't mind doing that sometime?"

Scootaloo blinked a little, she hadn't even thought of that. She knew her mom's side of the family, but she hadn't really thought that much about her dad's side. She thought about it for a long moment before nodding a little.

"Maybe sometime, sure," she said with a smile. "I'd say invite them to the wedding, but Sweetie might go crazier than Pinkie Pie if we do that."

Sweetie just laughed a little at that and shook her head. "And you'd love me anyway."

"Yes, yes I would," Scootaloo said with a laugh as she nuzzled Sweetie gently. "But really, its something to consider. Then again that would probably make for an awkward invitation, 'Hi, I'm your (insert family member here), we've never met but I'd like to invite you to my wedding.' Yeah, that would probably be a great way to introduce myself."

"You never know until you try," Holiday said with a shake of her head. "Actually I've told them about you already, well not everything but I've told them that I found my niece and that she's a good pony. Some of them are interested in meeting you too."

"Huh, maybe," Scootaloo said and looked at Sweetie Belle. "Do you think we should? I'd really like to at least get to know my family."

"Yeah, I think we can work something out," Sweetie said and then chuckled a little. "Besides, we're already going to need a big space just for my family. I think that's why it's taking me so long to write the invitations, lots of Apples to invite."

"Oh Dear Celestia, I almost forgot about how massive the Apple family was..." Scootaloo said with a groan. "But still, we'll manage, though at least since we're doing it at the same time as the reunion they're going to be there anyway."

"True, but still, its kind of a pain," Sweetie said with a shake of her head. "What do you think Stormy, do you want to meet your new Apple family?"

"Yes!" Storm said with a giggle as she smiled at her moms. "Like Auntie Apple Bloom?"

"Yep, just like her, only weirder at times," Scootaloo said with a shake of her head.

"Says the mare with a cousin that plays lead guitar in a punk rock band," Sweetie said with a chuckle and Scootaloo didn't say anything after that as she just laughed.

"Really?" Holiday asked and looked at Scootaloo strangely for a moment.

"Oh yeah, you haven't met my extended family on Rainbow's side," Scootaloo said with a shake of her head. "Trust me, everything is fine. I'm just glad that I get the chance to marry the mare of my dreams."

"Same here," Sweetie said as she nuzzled Scootaloo.

"So, how are Hazel and Wintergreen doing?" Scootaloo asked as she looked back at Holiday. "They're probably glad to be on Summer break finally."

"Heh, yeah," Holiday said with a nod. "Things are getting a little weird with Traveler showing up, but they're warming up to him pretty well."

Scootaloo smiled a little at that. She was still trying to get used to her father being back in her life, it wasn't really the same as Rainbow Dash since she had always been there since she was young, but still, it was weird.

"If he's willing to try and connect, then the least you can do is give him that chance," Sweetie said with a nod. "Maybe at least get to know him."

“Maybe,” Scootaloo said with a sigh as she shook her head a little bit. “I don’t know honestly, I’m still kind of nervous about the whole thing. I’ll, at least give it a try I guess, let’s just hope that is the right thing to do.”

“It is, I’m sure of it,” Sweetie said with a soft smile as she leaned over and kissed her fiance on the cheek. “What do you think Holiday?”

“I think Traveler would like to get to know Scootaloo better,” Holiday agreed. “But he also doesn’t want to force anything. If you want I’ll tell him to wait a while longer, it’s really up to you.”

“Alright, just tell him that I might be willing to talk to him, but right now we have a lot on our plate,” Scootaloo said with a slight smile as she looked back at Sweetie and Storm. “After all I’ve got the kiddo to look after and a wedding to plan.”

“Yeah, I know,” Holiday said. “Just let us know, okay?”

“Okay,” Scootaloo said. “We should probably get back home.”

“Alright, it was good seeing you again,” Holiday said with a smile as she watched the three get up and head out of the store. “Take care you three… I just hope that you’ll be okay with what Traveler has to tell you.”

00000

“So, how did the doctor’s visit go?” Fluttershy asked as the three headed into the house together.

“Well Stormy’s a healthy filly and her being able to fly is a good sign,” Scootaloo said with a soft smile as she ruffled her daughter’s mane gently. “Right Stormy?”

“Yep, I’m gonna be as fast as Grandma Rainbow,” Storm said with a giggle.

“Uh-oh, she better look out then,” Fluttershy said with a laugh. “Well, I’m glad she’s doing okay. So did anything else happen while you were out?”

“Oh, you know, we ran into Aunt Holiday at Sugarcube Corner,” Scootaloo said with a sigh. “She’s doing well, I’m just… you know, nervous about the possibility of meeting with Traveler again.”

“I understand,” Fluttershy said as Storm and Sweetie Belle headed upstairs. “But you’re going to have to reach out to him eventually.”

“Yeah, I know but I’m still kind of figuring out how,” Scootaloo said with a sigh. “Maybe I should make a list or something of what I want to say to him or... Oh great, now I’m sounding like Twilight aren’t I?”

“A little,” Fluttershy giggled. “But it’s not a bad idea. But really, I would just talk to him and hear what he has to say. Who knows, it may be enough. Just do whatever you think is best, okay?”

“Okay,” Scootaloo said with a soft smile. “I’m worried though. But, I’ll do everything I can to figure this out. I guess that’s the most I can do.”

“So how is the moving in process going?” Fluttershy asked as they headed to go find Sweetie Belle and Storm. “How do you think Stormy is going to take it?”

“Yeah, this is the only home she’s ever known,” Scootaloo lamented as she looked around at the cloud house. “It’s going to be weird for me too you know. I know we can visit whenever we want, but it just feels weird to leave this house.”

“Home is where those who love and care about you are, this will always be your home,” Fluttershy said as Rainbow came in and kissed her on the cheek. “Hey Rainbow.”

“Hey Flutters, Scootaloo,” Rainbow said with a smile as she nuzzled Fluttershy gently before looking back at her daughter. “Scootaloo, are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, I guess I’m just thinking about everything that’s going on,” Scootaloo said as she brushed her short mane back a little. She smiled a little as Sweetie and Storm came in “So, what are we going to do now?”

“I think for now we just need to get back to work on moving and the wedding,” Sweetie said as she levitated Storm up and gave her a slight hug. Storm smiled a little as she hugged the Unicorn back. “Come on kiddo, you need a bath before dinner.”

Storm nodded as she headed up with Scootaloo and Sweetie headed upstairs together. Rainbow’s smile only faltered after the three of them were out of view.

“Is everything okay, Rainbow?” Fluttershy asked as she placed her hoof gently on the blue Pegasus’ shoulder.

“Yeah, I’m just thinking about everything with Traveler still,” Rainbow said with a sigh. “He came by earlier to talk to me about it. He seems like he’s trying to change, but sometimes…”

“You’re not sure what to do either?” Fluttershy asked and she nodded. “Scootaloo feels the same you know. She wants to talk to him but she doesn’t know what to do or say. Maybe you should go talk to her.”

“Yeah, I’ll do that,” Rainbow said with a slight nod. “We’re both in the same situation from different sides. We really are in this together.”

“I know you’ll both do the right thing,” Fluttershy said as she kissed Rainbow Dash gently on the lips. “Come on, let’s just enjoy some time together, what do you say?”

“Sounds perfect to me,” Rainbow said as she rubbed noses with her wife. “We’ve got a lot to do right now.”

Fluttershy smiled and giggled a little when they heard the sound of splashing somewhere above them. They knew they had a little bit of time as they got up and Fluttershy got to work on cooking dinner.

00000

“Hey Scoots,” Rainbow said as Scootaloo looked up from where she was laying on the couch that night. They had already put Storm to bed. She had her wings wrapped gently around Sweetie who had fallen asleep.

“Hey mom,” Scootaloo said quietly as she looked up at her mother. “What’s up?”

“Oh, I just wanted to talk to you about something,” Rainbow said as she took a seat across from the couple. “You know, about your Father. Fluttershy said you weren’t sure how you were going to handle that.”

“Yeah, I know,” Scootaloo sighed. “What am I supposed to say to him? I never even met him until a few days ago. All the questions I’ve ever thought I’d ask him, they vanish from my mind when I think about it.”

“Scootaloo, maybe you should just listen,” Rainbow replied. “He has his reasons for being gone, I’m not sure what they are but I think you should at least try to talk to him. I’ll be there with you the whole time if you want.”

“I’d like that,” Scootaloo said as she looked down at Sweetie. “I’ll try to talk to him tomorrow I guess. But tonight, I just want to spend time with Sweetie.”

“Yeah, I can understand that, I’ll tell Traveler in the morning,” Rainbow said with a slight smile. She didn’t really know what she was going to do about all of this, but she was glad that Scootaloo was open to the idea.

“Okay,” Scootaloo said with a nod as she stroked Sweetie’s curled mane gently. “Thanks, mom, for everything.”

Rainbow smiled and walked back to give the couple a chance to relax. Scootaloo closed her eyes and just enjoyed the moment.

00000

“I honestly wasn’t expecting it to be this soon,” Traveler said as Scootaloo took a seat across from him. Rainbow Dash was on the other end of the couch from her watching the two. “Are you sure you’re up for this?”

“As sure as I’ll ever be,” Scootaloo replied. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I’ve made a lot of mistakes, hurt a lot of ponies,” Traveler said as he eyed Rainbow for a moment. “When I was with your mother back in school I was young and stupid. I got her pregnant, and at the same time, I did things. I got into drugs and alcohol, and that was why we eventually had to leave.”

Scootaloo paused a moment as she looked at him. She had never thought of him like that and this confession surprised her. He looked and sounded like he was being sincere at least, and he gave her a soft smile.

“I’ve been sober for a couple of years now, but there was one thing that I never had the courage to do honestly,” he said. “In the program, we’re put through the twelve steps. I made a list of everypony I had ever wronged, and the ninth step involved making amends with those ponies, but you two…”

He closed his eyes and bowed his head a little as he tried to put this into words.

“You two are the ones I probably wronged the most,” he said quietly. “Rainbow, I left you behind when you needed me the most. Scootaloo, you weren’t even born yet. I don’t expect either of you to welcome me into the family. If there’s anything I can do to make amends for what I’ve done, then I’ll gladly do it.”

“Well, this is something we’re going to have to think about,” Scootaloo said softly as the stallion looked up at her. “But I do know that I can’t hold a grudge forever either. I’m not sure I’m ready to forgive you, but I just want to think about it.”

“Okay, I understand,” Traveler said.

“But, I would like to get to know you better at the same time,” Scootaloo said with a nod. “You’re still my father, you’re still family. I’d like a chance to get to know where I came from.”

“Alright, ask away,” Traveler said.

Comments ( 9 )

I need to reread the stories again to remember thos now

Yep, now I've got the warm and fuzzies now. Listening to Vigilante from Gundam Narrative probably didn't help.

9785537
aw well, would've been interesting to see the reasoning behind that. good story though.

9785545 That really was the plan, but I had done something similar in another fic and wanted to make this one more grounded. Drew some inspiration from my own life actually, not my literal life, but my sister is a recovering addict and has gone through the Ninth step with me and others.

Nice series of stories. Wondering if you might pick this one back up someday. I really enjoy your work.

10624885 I really want to at some point, sorry.

10805778
Read that. When I didn’t have an acount yet.

I really hope this continues one day I love this series. Its soo cute and romantic. Poor scoots goes though soo much and its nice seeing her happy.

Login or register to comment