• Published 15th Mar 2018
  • 1,170 Views, 121 Comments

Best Served Cold - David Silver



Starlight gets a new friend. She seems to hang off of every word Starlight has to say and isn't at all worried about her troubled past. She even likes kites! How could this get any better?

  • ...
6
 121
 1,170

6 - Great and Powerful Assistance

Twilight trotted up the stairs with a heavy sigh. "What has gotten into everyone?" She froze as she looked to the right and saw a door hanging open that should never be hanging open. "The hay?" She trotted over to it and peered into the room of forbidden spells. There was a mess inside. "Oh no..."

Her horn glowed with magic, quickly setting things straight and organizing. None of the books were missing, a fact that made her release the breath she didn't notice she was holding. "Starlight? Who else... would be in here?" She sat down, tapping her chin. "But why? Maybe she really did take those gems for... something."

A smile split her face suddenly. "Maybe she's doing something for somepony and it has to be a surprise! Of course, just a misunderstanding." She closed the heavy doors firmly. "I hope... That doesn't excuse her lies, but if it's to keep a surprise party under wrap... I suppose I could forgive that."

An idea came to her as she nodded. "I'll check with Pinkie, she'd know if that was the problem." She began moving, only to stop just a few steps away. "Wait, what if the party is for me? Pinkie would never tell me. Starlight wouldn't ask me to come here, and may not ask before taking those gems, since anything Spike knew, I could find out." She frowned a little. "I'm... actually kinda hoping that is what's going on. Still..." Twilight let out a nervous little laugh. "Still, here I am, talking to myself."

She shook her head and proceeding back to business, keeping her words on the inside.


Starlight banged on the door of the wagon. "Trixie? Please tell me you're home."

"Mmm?" The top half of the door swung outwards, revealing Trixie. "She was not expecting company, but that doesn't stop me from being happy to see you, Starlight. Wo--"

Her words were cut off as Starlight undid the door by the knob with her magic, darted in, pushing her back, and quickly had the door closed behind her, sealing them both in the cramped wagon that was not really made for two ponies when it wasn't unfolded. "Trixie!"

"S-Starlight?" Trixie's hindhoof came down on something round and she flopped backwards onto her haunches, bumping her head on a shelf. "Ow, what's wrong? Is something chasing you?" Her eyes darted around. "Is it dangerous?"

Starlight answered with a sudden hug, squeezing Trixie as she sobbed into her furry neck.

Trixie's ears perked straight up before slowly dropping to the sides. "What's... wrong?" Her bravado was popped, seeing her friend in such an emotional state. "Tell me..."

"Everything today has been awful," wailed Starlight. "Please tell me you're not mad at me..."

"If Trixie were upset at you--" Her eyes half lidded and a playful smirk spread on her face. "You would know it. And then we would laugh and get over it. We are friends, Starlight. One little fight is not enough to scare me away. Besides, you haven't done anything bad to me... right?" She hiked a brow. "Am I going to find something when I step outside?"

Starlight pushed against Trixie, knocking her over and falling across her, clinging desperately to her with all four hooves. "I hope not, but I can't say for sure. Wherever I go, trouble just keeps following me! Please please please, whatever happens, don't get mad at me, alright?"

Trixie reached around Starlight and gently stroked through her mane in slow motions. "I promise. I will get even, not mad, then the laughing and getting over it thing, hmm. Now tell me what's going on."

And so Starlight did just that, sniffling and clutching as she went over the day. "Maud hates me, and some random ponies think I broke their wagon, and Twilight kicked me out!" Her tears were unending, eyes red and cries pathetic. "Some strange pony wanted me to 'lead' him and then there was a huge mess in the market, so everypony else hates me."

Trixie rocked slowly, trying to comfort her grief-ridden friend. "Who need Twilight anyway? So she kicked you out, she said she 'forgave' me, fat lot that did in the end. We don't need her. We can take on the world, together!" She wasn't sure how many of her words were reaching Starlight, crying as loudly as she was. "Are you listening to me? I am trying to comfort you."

Starlight's lips curled into a weak smile, her tears going silent save for a little sniffle. "T-thank you... The way... The way you said that, sounds like we're going to be super villains."

Trixie rolled her eyes. "If it gave me a chance to be Great and Powerful and with my bestie, I'll consider it." She pushed Starlight gently as she wriggled back up to her haunches. "Now, are you feeling better?"

Starlight grabbed one of Trixie's many cloth rags and blew into it with a powerful trumpet. "Yes... A little." She stood up in the cramped room. "It's just... nice that at least one person hasn't decided to hate me."

Trixie rolled a hoof. "I know how that goes. You take over one little town and suddenly everypony's sure they 'know' you." She rolled her eyes to match. "They don't know me." Her gaze returned to Starlight. "Well, you might know me. Now... how can Trixie brighten your day?"

Starlight shook her head quickly. "You're already doing so much, really... Thank you." She turned for the door and managed to bump into both Trixie and the same shelf Trixie had collided with. "This really is a one pony kind of space, isn't it?"

Trixie smirked softly. "I was not the one that invited you in. If you plan on staying with me, we'll be a lot closer than usual." She tapped at her chin with sudden thoughtfulness. "Not that I mind that entirely, but I will kick you out while I'm waking up. No hard feelings?"

Starlight snorted softly in laughter. "Deal... Alright... I... need to see if I can fix... some of this."

Trixie raised a brow at her friend. "That rarely worked out well for me. Are you sure you want to go charging back out there?" She pointed past Starlight to the wider world.

"I have to..." She sighed as her magic opened the door. With fearful peeks, she poked her head out and glanced left and right. "No angry mobs, I think we--Oh!" She backed up right into Trixie as a new pony waved from the ground.

"Hello," greeted Saffron. "I thought I heard your voice in there. Starlight, are you alright?"

Trixie pushed at Starlight, trying to make some room. "She is fine, but who are you? Have you come to see the Great and Powerful Trixie? Because she is not performing today."

Starlight flopped forward with the force of Trixie's shove, almost falling from the wagon. "Saffron! I didn't... expect you." She put a hoof behind her head. "Things are fine, really!"

Saffron narrowed her eyes at Starlight. "You can't lie to me that easily, dear. You look like you've been crying for hours."

"Is it that bad?"

Trixie nudged Starlight the rest of the way to flop to the ground. "Yes, it is. Hello, whoever you are. Are you mad at Starlight?"

Saffron shook her head. "Oh no. Starlight is a bosom buddy. Isn't that right, dear?"

Starlight sat up from the grassy ground she had flopped in. "Yeah! I mean, I hope? Today's been strange... Trixie, this is Saffron Diamond. Saffron, this is Trixie Lulamoon."

Trixie waved from the safety of her wagon, one hoof wagging left and right while she made no move to join them.

Saffron returned the gesture with a smile. "I trust you've heard the poor dear's report."

Starlight frowned a little. "It's only gotten worse since then! I've been kicked out!"

Saffron assumed a mask of false surprise. "What?! How could she? Whatever did you do to her?"

Trixie cocked a brow, but said nothing.

"She... mighty caught me in the forbidden spells area of her castle..." Starlight clip-clopped her hooves together with a nervous smile. "I was trying to fix things, honest. I swear!"

Saffron pointed the way, not towards town, but away from it. "You can stay with me. I have plenty of room for a dear friend down on her luck."

Trixie gave an audible growl. "She's already staying here, with me."

Saffron leaned to the side. "No offense, dear, but your wagon looks a little small for two ponies at once."

Trixie's face pinkened. "It's exactly large enough for two besties!"

Starlight moved between the two. "Stop! Stop, please... I don't need my friends fighting right now. Trixie, I deeply appreciate your offer, but if Saffron can put me up without me crowding her, I'll take that and let you keep your space. It's not right that I push you up against the walls." She pointed where Saffron had gestured to. "Let's go." She began trotting, not listening for a reply.

Saffron stuck out her tongue as Trixie and turned to follow, but before she could start to walk, Trixie has surged the distance and was in the way.

"Trixie is no stranger to an act." Trixie leaned in closer to Saffron. "I don't know what you're up to, but if you hurt Starlight, Trixie promises you a very special performance you won't forget." Her expression suddenly brightened to a big smile. "On the other hoof, if I'm jumping at nothing, have a great time."

Saffron smiled disarmingly. "Whatever do you mean, dear? We're just going to have a little sleepover. I'm sure this whole fuss will blow over by tomorrow." She trotted around Trixie and hurried to catch up with Starlight.

Trixie watched the two walk down the path away from her cart, soon out of sight. "Hmmph, and I was looking forward to a little company..." She turned back to her wagon. "Who was that pony? I don't remember seeing her before..." She had seen a great number of ponies in her time in different places. That one didn't strike as familiar.

Of course, that worked both ways. She had seen so many ponies, it wasn't that odd to think she just didn't remember them. Whoever they were... "You better not hurt Starlight," she growled as she hopped back into her wagon and closed the bottom half of the door. "Trixie has her eyes on you." With that, she closed the top half of the door, ensuring that her eyes were nowhere near the action.

Author's Note:

Not as long as most chapters, and I apologize, but this is a scene break, and the next one is likely larger than 200 words, I should think.

Want this story updated faster? Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!