• Published 2nd Jul 2018
  • 2,879 Views, 272 Comments

Blooming - Bookish Delight



Wallflower Blush strikes up an unexpected close friendship with a quirky indie movie director. In fact, _best_ friendship status could well be a possibility—if she can just keep this pesky redemption arc under control.

  • ...
9
 272
 2,879

04: Like Something Out of A Movie (Pt. 2)

"So, uh, where were you headed before we were so gracefully introduced to one another?" Juniper asked as the two walked into the diner.

Sugarcube Corner was already full of patrons that Wallflower recognized from CHS and a few other schools, and almost all of them were sipping glasses of green liquid. None of them seemed to be recoiling from it, which Wallflower took as a good sign.

She basked in the smells of pastries, burgers and fries, all of which she liked, and all of which relaxed her. Which was good, because she was actually still a little nervous from agreeing to stick around with this new girl instead of going home.

Wallflower looked back to Juniper. "Um... just home, really?" Before she could stop herself, she added, "Though I was planning to take the scenic route through Canterlot Suburban Park."

"Oh, cool!" Juniper replied, as the two of them sat at opposite sides of an empty four-seated booth. "I like that place. Nowhere near where I work, but it's not too far from where I live, so I hang out there a bunch. Sometimes with friends. What about you?"

"I hang out there with friends, too, sort of," Wallflower said. "Suburban Park has really... nice flower arrangements there that I appreciate."

The moment Wallflower realized what she'd just said, she wanted to run back out the diner. Did she just call plants her friends? In public? What she wouldn't have given to have the Memory Stone back right now. The less anyone knew how utterly one-track weird she was, the better.

To Wallflower's shock, however, Juniper didn't laugh at her, or give her any strange looks. Instead she lit up like a Hearth's Warming tree.

"Heck, yeah, it does! That's half the reason I love the place! It's one of my favorite filming spots when no one's around. You've got all sorts of flowers there: lilacs, roses, tulips, daisies, and a whole bunch of other obscure stuff a filthy gardening casual like me will never know the names of." Juniper giggled.

Wallflower stayed silent, her jaw agape, not knowing in the least how to reply.

Fortunately for Wallflower, Juniper wasn't finished. "And then, all those flowers are just nice and relaxing to be around when filming's over, especially when no one else is. You can just sit on a bench close by, look at everything in front of you and—"

"And reflect on things?" Wallflower asked.

"Yeah!" Juniper nodded with a dreamy sigh. "Like, just watching them sway in the wind is just..."

"It's just so hypnotic." Wallflower beamed. "It's totally the best thing to get lost in! Except, fortunately, you're not going anywhere, so you're never actually lost."

"Eeeeeee!" Juniper squealed. You get it! You so get it!"

"I don't just get it," Wallflower said, clenching her fists on the table and barely able to hold in her excitement. "I major in it! I run Canterlot High School's Gardening Club. We specialize in exactly this."

"Whoa!" Juniper said "You know, Suburban Park isn't too far from CHS, either, and I've noticed... that place's garden is like, maintained all year round. Every time I expect it to wilt, it's just... always there, growing strong. She raised an eyebrow at Wallflower. "I always wondered why."

Wallflower's smile curled conspiratorially. "I might have had a hand in things there."

"That's... actually really amazing," Juniper said, her mouth open in surprise. "Seriously, I think you're kind of my hero right now."

"Really?" Wallflower tilted her head, giving Juniper an inquisitive stare. "Sorry about acting so surprised. It's just that most people find gardens kind of boring. I'm seriously doing my best not to scream in happiness right now."

"I guess they can come off a little slow for most people? Including me, a little bit. But I've also seen some killer gardens, so I can't not have respect. Like I said, they make prime filming spots for me. Like, if I see a really good one, it'll call to me, and just ask me to start prancing around in it and start spouting random, awesome dramatic lines."

Wallflower giggled. "That is awesome."

"Long as you don't get caught, yeah. Then you look like a crazy girl. But all that aside?" Juniper rested her elbows on the table and her head in her hands, looking straight at Wallflower. "I just think liking what you like is awesome. So feel free to fangirl as much as you want. Fangirling is my jam. The way I see it... it's just being yourself. And I'm not much for shunning people for being themselves." She angled her head up and to the side, speaking in a deep, dramatic lilt straight out of a Shakesmarean play. "We should welcome what is different, not fear it."

Wallflower lit up in half a second. She had never heard anyone quote that show out loud. She stared at Juniper. Dare she test her hunch? Dare she risk ultimate embarrassment?

Though Juniper had just said that fangirling was fine. All right then—it was leap-of-faith time."Tell my tale to those who ask..." she said in a faux-solemn voice.

And, wonder of wonders, Juniper lit up with Wallflower's exact same expression. She folded her hands, and replied, "Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly."

"The rest," both finished, looking at each other with wide eyes, "is silence."

Two seconds later, both girls' squeals threatened to shatter every window in Sugarcube Corner. To say nothing of their rapid banging on the table, which managed to even vibrate a couple of others that were nearby.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, we have to calm down, calm down right now," Juniper said, not so much saying the words as breathing them. "Sorry!" she called out, waving to all of the other patrons currently giving the two of them annoyed looks. "Won't do that again, promise!" She looked at Wallflower. "You can uncurl now. I don't think they'll kill us. Anymore."

Wallflower slowly unwound from her shrunken state, sitting up straight in the booth again. "That episode was so good. Dinotrot was so goooooooooood," she hissed.

"I know, right? Like, when I go out, I want to go out like that! That was a seven-on-one debate! She never should have won, but she did and oh my gosh, oh my gosh—okay, I'm doing it again. Juniper. Breathe. You seriously need to breathe," Juniper said, taking several deep breaths.

"You and me both," Wallflower replied. "I can't believe I found someone who gave Wyldmares a chance! It's seriously the best show everyone seems to enjoy being mad at."

"A chance?" Juniper gasped. "Are you kidding? I love that show so freaking much!"

Wallflower sighed. "You and literally nobody else in Canterlot. Don't even get me started on the online response to it."

"Ugh." Juniper rolled her eyes and her wrist. "Which I just do not understand, and never will. I mean, you watched Transformares, right?"

"Well, yeah." Wallflower shrugged. "Not that that makes me special. The world did."

"No, hear me out!" Juniper held up a hand. "This show is seriously the second coming of it. But without the overbearing merchandising, and with characters who have more than two dimensions to them."

"And more nuanced story beats," Wallflower added.

"And the best lessons ever at the end!" Juniper bounced in her seat. "I love the part where Pegatron actually learned from the Maximares that logic isn't the only way to reach someone!"

Wallflower mini-squealed. "She was so mad when she had to admit it! Plus, I mean, most shows like this don't even bother giving the antagonists anything but lip service!"

"Yup," Juniper said. "Transformares was a show about making friends, proving points, and spreading knowledge. The people who make Wyldmares were big fans." Juniper held up her phone, showing multiple people on screen who Wallflower vaguely recognized from staff interviews about the show. "They always had nothing but love for Transformares, and wanted to bring its concept to something more fantastic, while keeping its spirit. From where I'm sitting, they've been doing an amazing job."

Juniper looked at the picture again, her eyes lidding. She rested her cheek on her palm. "What I wouldn't do to be able to meet the production crew. Time was, I used to have the connections to make that happen."

Wallflower's eyebrows shot up. "Connections? Really?"

"It's a long story," Juniper said. "Look me up, the Internet will tell all. Well, most of it. Though quite honestly, I'd wipe the old life from every server I could if it didn't make good resume fodder."

She perked back up. "But yeah, oh my gosh, this is great! Finally someone in real-space I can talk about this with. I've only got one other Transdork friend, and she's lukewarm on it at best." Juniper rolled her eyes. "She's annoyed at the 'lack of logic' in the discussions. I keep telling her this is a more emotional show now than a logical one, but..." She sighed. "Not her cuppa."

Wallflower nodded. "I've seen the response online, too. Just because they did some redesigns and added 20 percent more action, so many of the old fans are crying bloody murder. Without seeing the heart that goes into any given episode."

"No doubt." Juniper relaxed, leaning back in her seat. "Seriously, I am so happy I can finally talk with someone who actually likes the stuff I'm into," Juniper said. "I can't believe there are so many things you and I just get."

Wallflower grinned. "Maybe you should bulldoze innocent people on the sidewalk more often."

Juniper giggled. "Maybe I should. Except, no. My uncle's told me all about how frivolous lawsuits work. Gonna try to keep those to a minimum. I got lucky with you."

The waitress walked by and placed a single glass on the table, filled with green liquid. The glass was twice as wide as everyone else's. Two straws landed on the table before the waitress walked away.

Both girls blinked at the table in silence for several moments.

"What," Juniper finally said. She turned around and tried to flag the waitress down. "Hey, excuse me, miss?" she ventured, but the waitress was already at the other side of the diner. "Wow, they move so fast."

Wallflower looked around, seeing all of the staff rushing around or carrying large, full tins as carefully as possible. "All of the others look busy, too," she said. "Really busy."

"New Flavor Day," Juniper said. "Always brings out the crazy." She continued to scan the restaurant, until her gaze fell towards another table. Wallflower followed Juniper's gaze to see Photo and Sunny, doing her best to maintain a casual look, but who were also visibly giggling with their hands over their mouths and stealing looks in their direction.

Instantly, Juniper's face scrunched, and she rolled her eyes. "I knew it! I swear to... oh, I'll remember this."

"Did you see something?" Wallflower asked.

Juniper chuckled. "No, but I did smell a couple of rats," she said. She turned back to Wallflower. "All righty, then. We've got exactly one smoothie here, and it's a biggie. The worst thing that could happen to either of us is that it gets warm."

Wallflower nodded. "We could order another one, but everyone's backed up as it is. Could take a while."

"Exactly. And I don't know about you, but I've been waiting weeks to try this," Juniper said, standing up on her side of the booth and placing her hands on the table. "Thus, I propose a bold solution... that I totally saw in a movie once."

She paused, took a deep breath, and added, "Buuuuut, I'll only do it if you're all right with us sitting together? I mean, more together. We've already knocked noggins once today because of me, so, you know. Now I'm wary."

Wallflower didn't have to think about it. "Come on over," she said, giggling.

Juniper smiled wide. "Awesome."

Wallflower moved over to give Juniper more room. Juniper got up and sat next to her. Both took up their straws, placed them into the glass, looked at each other with slanted smiles, and sipped.

It was the perfect blend of citrus and sugar, of energy and relaxation, carbonated just enough to tickle Wallflower's tongue, but far from overbearingly so. Simply put, it was the best smoothie she'd ever had. Sugarcube Corner had totally outdone themselves. She heard a small "eeeeee" next to her, suggesting Juniper felt the same way. Both girls sat back in in their seats with a satisfied sigh.

"Oh, yeah," Juniper whispered. "That's good smoothie."

"Yeah," Wallflower whispered back. "I could almost be okay with just that sip."

"Yeah?" Juniper said. "So, more for me?"

"Don't you dare."

Laughing, both girls darted back to the glass to take more sips.

It was a race now, only it wasn't. As both girls became lost in enjoying the drink, Wallflower became all too conscious of their bodies shifting closer together as more of the smoothie disappeared.

She did her best to ignore how flushed she was feeling—quite frankly, she was annoyed at it. She was just with a new friend. She didn't get many of those. She couldn't remember the last time she'd had one.

Except for Sunset, of course. But Sunset relaxed her. Sunset was a pillar, a port in a storm. Juniper, meanwhile was...

Wallflower looked at her again, out of the corner of her eye.

She's a party. Wallflower hoped her blush wasn't visible this close. The first party I don't mind attending.

Both girls pulled back again, looking at each other. The glass was half empty now. "Just so you know," Juniper said. "We've played right into their hands."

"Whose hands?" Wallflower asked, before seeing two figures moving in her peripheral vision. She looked in front of herself.

Photo Finish and her companion now sat on the other side of the booth, staring at her and Juniper with sly, toothy grins.