• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 1,252 Views, 19 Comments

I'll Run Anywhere with You - PinkieDashLover



Sonic has a secret. Rarity and Pinkie Pie find out about it and want to help him fufill it. How will this play out?

  • ...
31
 19
 1,252

Chapter 2: Playing it Cool

Author's Note:

Okay, so the scene from Sonic X (episode 5: Cracking Knuckles) somewhat inspired the first plan (not the fighting part, but the way Sonic was playing with Knuckles), but I thought it would work for the beginning of the many plans.

"Okay, this plan is pretty simple, but I personally think it's the most likely to fail," Sonic said as he looked over a bush at Shadow, who was leaning against a tree alone with his eyes closed.

"Oh darling, don't start thinking bad now," Rarity said, putting a hoof on Sonic's shoulder, "You won't know of the plan works until we try, and if it doesn't we'll try again with a different plan."

"Yeah," Sonic began, "but still-"

"Nonsense!" Rarity interrupted, stamping her hoof and staring the blue hedgehog dead in the eye, "You are going out there and sticking with the plan!"

"Yeah! Don't worry Sonic!" Pinkie said, hopping up next to Rarity, "We have more plans to try out of this one is a bust."

Sonic took a deep breath, "Yeah, you're right," he agreed, "If this plan backfires, then we get back up and try again. Like a ball bouncing against a wall."

Rarity gave the blue blur a confident smile, "That's the spirit!" she cheered, then she levitated a flower over to Sonic, "Now go get him!"

Sonic nodded, then he ran over to Shadow, jumped a little while doing a 180, and skidded right in front of Shadow. Who's eyes snapped open.

"Heya Shadow," Sonic greeted, sniffing the flower lightly.

"What do you want Sonic?" Shadow growled, clearly unhappy about Sonic interrupting whatever he was doing.

"What? Can't a hedgehog hang out with one of his good friends?" Sonic asked in his usual cocky attitude, however, if anyone were to listen closely, they could hear the faintest outline of nervousness in the blue hedgehog's voice.

Shadow narrowed his eyes, but said nothing.

"After all," Sonic continued, sniffing the flower, "you're so busy being your awesome self, you barely have time for your friends."

"Wow that sounded so much better in my head," Sonic thought to himself, "Why did I say it again?"

Shadow blinked, then slowly approached the blue hedgehog. Sonic himself tried his best to not blush like mad, meanwhile, out of the corner of his eye Sonic could see Rarity and Pinkie Pie with the biggest grins on their faces.

"Sonic," Shadow asked almost gently, "are you feeling alright? You don't seem like yourself today."

Sonic's attempt at not blushing failed, "U-um, well," he stammered, his heart thundering in his chest, "y-you see....I..."

He trailed off when the two locked eyes, and Sonic found himself lost in those crimson windows. In there Sonic could see not just slight concern for him, but all kinds of emotions: Faint happiness of being alive, the longing to go home, and even the suppressed sorrow from the past. But deep under all that, Sonic saw....something else. Sonic was about to make an attempt to dig deeper for that emotion, but suddenly irritation erupted in the ruby irises and Sonic snapped back into reality.

"Sonic!" Shadow snapped, grabbing Sonic by the shoulder and preparing to shake him, "What's wrong?"

"Huh!? Oh! Nothing! Bye!" Sonic called as he ripped free of Shadow's grasp and took off towards Ponyville. Rarity and Pinkie soon leaping out of their hiding place and following him.


Sonic let out an exasperated sigh as he slumped down against the wall of Pinkie's Party Planning Cave, disappointed in himself for letting the plan backfire so hard on him.

"Wow Sonic," Pinkie said, hopping over to the blue blur alone (as Rarity had to head back to Carousel Boutique), "that was a pretty good first try with our help. Though next time try not to lose your nerve that fast."

"Actually, I didn't really bail just because of my nerves," Sonic corrected, looking over at the party pony, "I got lost in Shadow's eyes for a few moments, and it made me forget what I was even doing there. Then I remembered and high-tailed it."

Pinkie gave a small giggle, "Anyway, I have a new plan that is sure to end in sugary-sweet success!" she announced, "And you won't have to talk directly to Shadow!"

Sonic's ears perked up in interest, "Really now, and what plan would that be?" he asked.

Pinkie ginned super wide, "Isn't tomorrow Shadow's birthday?" she questioned in an almost sly voice.

Sonic nodded, slowly catching on with the new plan.

Pinkie Pie turned around and started to hop up to the kitchen, "Then let's get baking!🎵" she sang.

And with that, the two of them headed up to the kitchen to start baking.