• Published 8th Mar 2018
  • 2,177 Views, 28 Comments

Let The Game Begin - SociallyAwkwardPegasus



A human is accidentally summoned by Twilight Sparkle due to a mishap with a spell. He learns that Equestria is at war with it's neighboring countries, and that sometimes you don't have to fight on the front lines in order to help win.

  • ...
8
 28
 2,177

That's a lot of Combinations

“And exactly how many combinations are we looking at here?” the nervous voice of Celestia questioned. There, sitting in front of the alabaster alicorn was a large safe with a number dial numbered to eighty. After a few quick calculations on his clipboard, the stallion from opposite the princess let out a soft sigh.

“There are just over five-hundred thousand combinations your majesty,” the stallion reluctantly replied. Celestia felt her heart drop at those words. For the past three years, the kingdom of Equestria had been at war with two neighboring countries. It was an alliance the princess never would have thought possible. The Zebra tribes to the South and Griffons to the West had formed a secret pact with one another. Their goal was simple, to reclaim their homelands from long ago that the ponies had stolen from them during their unification. Until recently, Celestia had managed to keep the peace between the two kingdoms, though years of resentment and an ever growing population forced the two countries to act.

“Are you sure there is no way we can pry the safe open with magic? Or perhaps a locksmith?” Celestia optimistically asked. The stallion shook his head before examining the safe once again.

“This isn’t just an ordinary safe princess. It is a safe meant to guard private documents. If we use any type of magic to try and force it open, the contents inside will be destroyed. The same goes for if we do not open the safe within forty-eight hours. The timer will expire and the documents inside will be destroyed.”

“So what do you suppose we do then? Surely there is a way to get it open?” Celestia all but pleaded.

“There is, but the chances of that happening are very slim. We would have to ‘brute force’ the safe open, which would require us to put in every possible combination into the safe in hopes of getting it right. I’m not going to lie though, the chances of us getting the correct combination are only about three percent.” Celestia nodded her head before clenching her fist tightly. She was so close, so close to information regarding the spies amongst her ranks. She knew that some ponies were paid off to gather information about her plans and strategies, though she didn’t know who. And finally, when one of them slips up, they kill themselves before they have any chance to gather information, except for what contents they hid in the safe in their last minutes of life. It was a truly frustrating feeling to finally have luck on your side only for it to spit in your face while giving you the middle wing.

“Very well. Please bring the safe to my private study and set it next to the other one. I wish to study it more in hopes of finding a possible flaw. That will be all.” With a courteous bow, the pony set off with the safe to Celestia’s private study. Once the stallion was gone, Celestia showed a side of herself she never showed. In a fit of anger, the mare slammed her fore-hoof against the stonewall, effectively taking a chunk out of the rock. It wasn’t very often the princess lowered herself to such an act, but with all of the stress piling up on her, it felt good to take her anger out on something.

“Princess, I am sorry to disturb you, but Princess Twilight is here to see you,” a guard politely said. Looking towards her subordinate, the princess nodded her head before gathering herself.

“Thank you for informing me. You are dismissed.” With another quick bow, the guard scampered off back to his post.

“Well, at least Twilight should help brighten my mood. I wonder if she has progressed with any of her research,” Celestia thought before making her way towards the throne room.


“And remember to bow once you see her, alright?” the distinct voice of Twilight could be heard saying.

“Yeah yeah, I know Sparkles.” Before Twilight could respond, the throne room doors opened and in walked the princess herself.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight beamed, running over to her mentor and nuzzling lovingly under her chin. Celestia returned the display of affection in earnest, feeling a sense of joy seeing her former student.

“I see you are doing well, though if I might ask who have you brought with you today?” Twilight was quick to break her hug before motioning towards the other individual in the room.

“Princess Celestia, this is Devin. He is the one that has been staying with me for the past few weeks,” Twilight responded, before nudging the human in the side with a wing.

“Princess Celestia I presume. I have heard a lot about you from Twilight,” the human replied with a short bow. His appearance was something the princess was not expecting. Twilight had written to her over the last few weeks about a friend helping with her research, though she didn’t expect him to be so… different.

“Sir Devin, it is a pleasure to meet you as well. And I hope Twilight has been treating you well?” The human could only respond with a shrug of his shoulders.

“Meh, could be better. I didn’t exactly ask to come to your world, but miss Sparkle Butt over here was insistent on trying out her new spell. As you can see, this is the result,” he replied. Twilight’s cheeks soon turned a bright red as she looked up towards the human with a mixture of embarrassment and guilt.

“And I told you I was sorry!” she all but blurted out. This earned the mare a ruffled mane from the human’s hand along with a giggle from her mentor.

“Yes you did, though i’m still upset about it. Although I guess I can’t be too mad. You did promise me a pile of gold and gems for my troubles.”

“Oh, did she now?” Celestia commented before ruffling Twilight’s mane with a wing.

“I do apologize for this sir Devin. Twilight can be a bit reckless when she does her research.” This earned a chuckle from both Celestia and the human.

“I can attest to that, and it’s fine really. I know she didn’t mean too and her heart was in the right place. From what I hear, you were the one that tasked her with researching new spells in order to help with the war?” Princess Celestia lowered her head with a nod.

“Indeed I did, which is why I feel partially responsible for your predicament. If there is anything I can do to make your stay more enjoyable, all you have to do is ask. I assume Twilight is working on a way to send you home?”

“Yeah she is, though it has taken a seat on the back burner until she finishes her more ‘pressing’ research. Though I don’t mind really. Yeah, it will suck not seeing my family for a while, and I will probably lose my job. But once I go home with a small fortune, I think everything will sort itself out. Speaking of which miss Sparkle Butt, when do I start getting my stipend from you?” Another dark blush quickly accented the cheeks of the young alicorn.

“I-I told you that I was working on it,” she half shouted, half mumbled. With a bright flash of light, a large brown sack was soon floating in front of the human.

“I am sure this will cover your expenses for the next month or so. If not, please don’t hesitate to let me know,” Celestia graciously offered before dropping the bag into the human’s hands. The weight of the bag was enough to cause the human to stumble forward with wide eyes.

“My god, how much money is in here?” Devin asked in disbelief before pawing through the bag. He noticed a mixture of gold coins, along with what he assumed were a few platinum pieces.

“It’s not much, just something to help you get by for the month. Like I said, if you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Wow, uhh, thank you princess.”

“You are most welcome. Now, I must apologize but I am fairly busy today. I assume you and Twilight are going to be staying a few days?” By now, the young alicorn had recovered from her previous bout of embarrassment before nodding her head with a smile.

“Yes we are Princess. Devin mentioned that he wanted to explore the city and get away from Ponyville for a few days.”

“Splendid. I look forward getting to know you a little more before your departure. And please do take care of yourselves.” With those final words, Celestia gave Twilight one last nuzzle before venturing off to her private study. With one of the alicorn princesses gone, Devin turned his attention to the other.

“So Sparkles, wanna show me where I will be staying and then hit the city? I could really go for some lunch right about now.” Beating her to a response, Twilight’s stomach let out a loud groan of hunger, causing the alicorn to chuckle softly.

“I think that is a great idea.”


Six hours, six long hours Celestia had been bashing her head against the table trying to figure out any weakness in the design of the safe. The sun had set long ago as the mare continued to work on opening the treasure in front of her.

“Please, just give me something,” Celestia whimpered out to herself. The alicorn truly felt exhausted, but her determination was more than a match to combat it.

“What am I missing? I have to be missing something?” It was only a few seconds after the mare started examining the second safe that the door to her private study opened.

“So this is what you meant by busy today?” a familiar voice called out. The sudden noise inside of the room caused the princess to jolt on her cushion, though she returned to a normal posture after realizing who it was.

“Oh, it is you sir Devin. Did you need something from me?” Celestia questioned. She was met with a small smile from the human before taking a seat next to the princess.

“Nah, i’m good. Just came to check up on you. Twilight said you were running yourself ragged and figured you could use a little pick me up,” he replied before digging around in the paper bag by his side. Celestia’s eyes soon grew wide as the human revealed a large slice of chocolate cake in a to-go container.

“H-how did you…”

“Twilight was the one who suggested it. She figured you would probably forget to eat or something and insisted we get it for you. She also mentioned that cake seems to be one of your weaknesses,” Devin added with a playful grin. With a tired sigh and giggle, Celestia nodded her head in confirmation.

“That mare knows me too well,” Celestia responded before digging her fork into the cake. It was true that she had forgotten to eat, which was becoming more of a common occurrence for the mare. But just the thought of Twilight caring about her was enough to fill the mare with a sense of warmth and comfort.

“So Devin, where is Twilight at the moment?” Devin let out a soft chuckle at the mare’s question.

“Well, she seemed extremely tired when we got back and said that she was going to read up on a few book from the Canterlot Archives. So I assume she is most likely passed out on her bed with her face buried in a book,” he added. Both the human and princess chuckled at the typical behavior of the bookish alicorn. He may not have known her long, but Devin knew Twilight’s personality better than most.

“That does seem like her. So Devin, if you don’t mind, would you tell me a bit about yourself?” Celestia figured that this was as good as time as any to get to know the human, along with the fact that she was also quite interested in his story.

“Not much to say about me really. I’m from a planet called Earth and am twenty-four years old. I graduated college a year and a half ago with a mathematics degree and have been working as a number cruncher ever since. My parents are divorced and remarried a few years back, which is fine by me since they both seem to be much happier now. I have an older sister and soon to be brother in law… and that’s pretty much it.” Finishing off her cake, Celestia set down the empty container before properly wiping her muzzle off with a napkin.

“I see. And tell me, are you also pursuing a relationship?” the alicorn asked. She was met with a howl of laughter as a response.

“Sorry to disappoint you princess, but no. I’m more worried about my bills than a relationship at the moment.”

“Aww, that’s too bad to hear. I think you and Twilight would make a cute couple,” the princess teased. Her comment had the desired effect as a blushing human cleared his throat.

“Sorry princess, but I don’t think it would work out. For starters, we aren’t even the same species. I know it is different here, but a relationship with a non-human is heavily frowned upon, and even illegal in certain places. Not that I think that anything is wrong with her. She seems like a very good mare and i’m sure she will find a loving stallion someday. So what about you princess? Has anypony caught your eye?” It was now Celestia’s turn to blush as she shook her head with a laugh.

“Please, I don’t have time for a relationship. Apart from running this country and everything that’s been happening the last few years, a relationship is the last thing on my mind,” she replied.

“I was just asking is all. It seems like we both have different priorities at the moment. But anyways, care to tell me what’s kept you cooped up in here the entire day?” Looking over towards the safes on the ground, Celestia responded with a heavy sigh.

“As I am sure Twilight has told you, we are at war with two other countries. Well, earlier today, a spy for one of the countries was caught, though they killed themselves before we had time to question them. Unfortunately, the only information they left behind is locked away inside this safe and we don’t have the combination to open it. To make matters worse, if we try to force it open with magic or by other means, the safe will destroy the documents inside. The same goes for if we do not open the safe in forty-eight hours. So I have been here studying this other safe in hopes of finding a potential weakness to exploit. So far I have come up with nothing,” Celestia lamented.

“I see. Well, if you don’t mind, I would love to take a look at it and see if there is anything I can maybe see that you can’t,” Devin offered. At first Celestia seemed a bit hesitant. She didn’t exactly know this human all too well and even though he had been living with twilight the past weeks, she still had her reservations.

“If you don’t mind, I don’t want to involve others in this sort of issue. It’s not that I don’t trust you, but…”

“It’s that you don’t trust me,” Devin finished. Turning her head away from the human Celestia nodded.

“Well, I honestly can’t say I blame you. If what you are saying about spies and all is true. Though I am a little sad I don’t have a chance at the safe. I could probably get it open if given a few hours.” The comment was enough to pique the interest of the alicorn.

“He claims he would be able to open it within only a few hours, even though there are over five-hundred thousand combinations. Either he is bluffing or perhaps his knows something I do not.” With a few more seconds of deep thought, the princess changed her mind. After all, she had been making zero progress on the safe for the past six hours, and she really did need her rest. With her decision finally made the mare turned back towards the human.

“I have changed my mind. I will allow you work on the safe so long as you do not physically try to pry it open. And to make sure of this, two guards will be watching you the entire time. Are those conditions fair?” Devin cracked a smile before nodding his head.

“Yep. I can live with that.”

“Very well then.” Proceeding towards the door, Celestia ushered in the two guards standing outside of it inside before giving them instructions of what to do.

“Alright sir Devin, I have informed the guards of their task. If you do somehow manage to get the safe open, send one of the guards to my chambers immediately. Do not leave this room and have the other guard standby to guard its contents. Is that understood?”

“Yep. Crystal.”

“Good. Then I shall see you in the morning, or if luck would favor us, in a few hours,” Celestia said before bidding the human a goodnight. Now alone with the two guards, Devin turned his full attention to the two safes in front of him. Cracking his knuckles and fingers in a series of pops that made both guards cringe, the human set off to work with just two words.

“Challenge accepted.”